Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My orca/killer whale collection

Go down 
+10
Ana
animalluvr6
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
Tylosaurus
Bloodrayne
orcagirl26
A-J
widukind
GudrunOrca
14 posters
AuthorMessage
GudrunOrca

GudrunOrca

Country/State : Netherlands

My orca/killer whale collection Empty
PostSubject: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 4:59 pm

As promised, I am now going to show off my monospecific collection of orca/killer whales. My collection started in 1997 with the Playmobil orca and has seen a steady expansion over the past 16 years.

First off, I will show a set of pictures which were taken back in 2005. That was my then-complete collection, but it has been added to over the past 8 years. I unfortunately do not have any recent pictures, so I have made it my goal to take more pictures soon.

Alright, here we go! This is an overview of all the models I had back in 2005. There are quite a few different types of models. Some are the solid vinyl-type, some are hollow (squeaky) ones, some are plastic with a velours coating, one key-chain is made up of stress ball-like neoprene, some are ceramic, one is actually a pen (very shiny and an unusually long tail Wink) and one is made of silicone and was played with a lot (notice its greyish base color coming through).
I might have to re-upload this image and add numbers to the different categories Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Just some of the visible models in this view: New Ray adult (just its snout on the far left); AAA baby killer whale; Albert Heijn killer whale; Safari Ltd. baby killer whale; small, unknown (far right); Play Visions; adult and baby ceramic (unknown brand). If you look closely, you can see that the flukes of the adult ceramic have broken off once and has been stuck back on Wink.

Different angle of the same group, showing the New Ray adult killer whale better. You can also see the two velours coated models. One is lying down flat, the other one has perked up its head and tail (like a captive orca).

Here we have the two Mattel Barbie Keiko models. I am a boy and not ashamed to admit to having bought a Barbie in a store Razz Sitting on top on the right is a large squeaky model of unknown make. The middle left again shows the furry sprayed ones. The Playmobil orca (one of the best, were it not that it is lacking a saddle patch and doesn't have the bottom of its flukes white. It is one of the most well-proportioned models and I love that it is made to scale with other Playmobil toys. One of the weirdest models I have is the 67405 Bullyland one that is next. They didn't even bother to put its eyes in the correct place and don't even get me started on its paint job... But with the proper adaptations (something I may tackle in the future with the right resources) it could pass for a Type D Antarctic orca (with tiny eye patches and a different head shape). Far right we have a baby squeaky model, very realistic, despite its silly set of teeth. I used an Edding/Sharpie-type black marker to alter its white patches. I may have also used Tipp-ex... Embarassed 

The right side of this picture shows only squeaky models (all of unknown make). The realistic baby has an adult as well, also love its paint job, apart from the white underside of its pecs (should be black after all). The Monterey Bay Aquarium Collection adult and baby (actually ordered online at MBAQ website! I have kept the box it came in Wink). Then to the left of them is a hard plastic unknown make; stress ball-type key chain and part of the K&M Int. silicone killer whale (also great realism!!).

The far left in back shows the 16071 Schleich adult orca. If it hadn't been for its ridiculously small and pointed pectoral fins/flippers, it would have actually been pretty reasonable. Bottom far right shows just the tail of the K&M Int. silicone orca, next to it is the tall thick dorsal fin of the Safari Ltd. adult male orca 2752 29. The middle shows the velours covered models from the front.

The following images show off the AAA/Schleich 16004 adult female killer whale. But this model has been customized by me to represent a killer whale called Gudrun, which lived at the marine park called Dolfinarium Harderwijk in The Netherlands. This is also where I initially got this figure (despite it being marketed in an Intertoys store brochure and them never actually having it for sale!! No )
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I was actually quite vicious, using a pair of scissors to cut the flippers to a more paddle-shape, rather than the fishy-fin-like appearance they had. For the painting, again, I used Tipp-ex and Edding marker. I would like to redo it proper with paint that is more suitable for this purpose. If anybody has any tips for me, I would very much appreciate it! I suppose this one might be considered ruined, or not? Embarassed 

Here are some pictures of the real Gudrun, so you can compare the two!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As I mentioned before, this collection of pictures dates back over 8 years. In the meantime I have added other models, like the 3 later Schleich models (16091 calf, 14551 adult and the latest 2013 adult), a Kaiyodo mini (ultimate in realism, despite its small size) and some others. In other words: more to follow, so please stay tuned!

Comments very welcome! And thanks for watching! Very Happy

Last edited by GudrunOrca on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:34 pm

A great and special collection!! See your as expert differences between the orcas so that you can differ the types?sunny sunny sunny 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Great collection! I love to see the same animal made by so many different companies :cheer:

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
orcagirl26

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Impressive collection! Congratulations! Very Happy Applause 
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Interesting collection, very nice.
Which is your favourite orca figure?

If you want to paint some of your figures, you're probably better of buying a bottle of acrylic paint.
This is waterbased paint and you can find it in any hobby shop. (I buy my paint at Pipo's).
It will cover much better than Typex and will look more professional as well.
And you can clean your brushes with just water and soap.

GudrunOrca

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 1:54 am

Thanks for the tips and ideas, Simone!
Do you also have any idea how I can get rid of the Typex? Wink

My favorite orca figures are the Monterey Bay Aquarium Collection adult female and baby. And my Kaiyodo Capsule Aquarium figure (very small, but highly detailed). Those are the most realistic ones I have yet been fortunate to add to my collection.
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 9:15 am

Montery Bay is from Safari ltd. right? And Kaiyodo makes fantastic figures for such a small scale.

I'm not sure how to remove Typex, but I would suggest to leave your figure in a bucket of warm water with some dishwashing soap to soak overnight.
Then hopefully the Typex will be soft enough to be removed with a toothbrush.
Again, I'm not sure, but this is how I would try to remove it.
Good luck!

Tylosaurus

Country/State : Dirksland, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Awesome Orca / Killer Whale collection you have there GudrnOrca, mooi spulletje zo Cool

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Great collection, congrats!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks for presenting the part already photographed of your collection. Very Happy
It is great to read all stories and it was also interesting to know that everything started with a Playmobil . Very Happy being clear that your knowledge about these animals is high, I think it is prestigious to Safari to have made your favorite replicas. Monterey Bay Aquarium is actually a sealife line with a very good reputation among sealife collectors. Very Happy
As I told on another topic, I only have the little Play Visions orca, do you know which type it belongs? I only know it is a male. Very Happy
I hope we have the chance of seeing your collection updated. I don't know if you have the two from Maia & Borges and the CollectA, you'd probably love them. Very Happy

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 4:29 am

Fantastic collection! Congrats! Very Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
GudrunOrca

GudrunOrca

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks Roger!

The Play Visions orca doesn't really look like a regional type, to be honest. In general, the killer whale models on the market do not really seem to represent a certain type of orca. That's because the regional variations (perhaps even species) do not show that much variation in appearance to the casual observer. Only when you pay closer attention to the shape of the head and the dorsal fin, the prominence of the grey saddle patch or the shape and size of the eye patches, do the variations become more obvious.
The biggest difference in killer whales can be found in the Pacific Northwest of the US and Canada, where the Resident and Transient killer whales (likely different species) are found. Or in the Antarctic region, where the killer whales are currently being divided into 4 (quite obviously) different groups (most likely different species as well)

Click here to view a poster published by American killer whale researcher Robert Pitman, who continues to study the regional variations (referred to as ecotypes, although in all likelihood the term species will become used.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 11:05 pm

GudrunOrca wrote:
Thanks Roger!

The Play Visions orca doesn't really look like a regional type, to be honest. In general, the killer whale models on the market do not really seem to represent a certain type of orca. That's because the regional variations (perhaps even species) do not show that much variation in appearance to the casual observer. Only when you pay closer attention to the shape of the head and the dorsal fin, the prominence of the grey saddle patch or the shape and size of the eye patches, do the variations become more obvious.
The biggest difference in killer whales can be found in the Pacific Northwest of the US and Canada, where the Resident and Transient killer whales (likely different species) are found. Or in the Antarctic region, where the killer whales are currently being divided into 4 (quite obviously) different groups (most likely different species as well)

Click here to view a poster published by American killer whale researcher Robert Pitman, who continues to study the regional variations (referred to as ecotypes, although in all likelihood the term species will become used.
Thanks for your very interesting comment and links and sorry for my delay replying. Sleep
I already expected it but it could match accidentally. I agree with everything you're saying but brands are working caring more with scientific aspects, so, soon or later will see some orcas designed thinking in a regional type or even in the correct species if they end classified like that. Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 11:55 am

Wow, that's huge collection of orcas indeed! Big congratulations, I don't think I've ever seen so many orca toys at once Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Noémi

Noémi

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Wonderful collection! monkey 
I also like killer whales but I don't collect them. There are four killer whale in my offers. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 11:35 pm

And I thought I had much Orca's! Really nice collection. Do you got the newest from Schleich too?

Isabeau

Country/State : Gotham City

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyWed Dec 04, 2013 5:49 am

Wow, this is an excellent collection! I love it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48412602@N04/
ulinuk

ulinuk

Country/State : Czech republic

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 7:57 pm

nice
 cat

http://mirukam.webnode.cz/
GudrunOrca

GudrunOrca

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection EmptyTue Jul 18, 2023 12:42 am

It seems the photos I had added to my original post are no longer hosted online.. 😔
My collection has since been expanded quite a bit, so an updated post seems to be needed. 😅 Stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My orca/killer whale collection   My orca/killer whale collection Empty

Back to top Go down

My orca/killer whale collection
Page 1 of 1