Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Have you caught any animals?

Go down 
+7
animalluvr6
LeeAnn
Silver Unicornis
schleich61
HKHollinstone
SUSANNE
QuollMate
11 posters
AuthorMessage
QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

Have you caught any animals? Empty
PostSubject: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 5:39 am

Ok,so these are my wide range of stories.So where do I begin?
I remember I was chill'n with my neighbors and they saw a baby rabbit in our neighbor's back yard.I hopped the fence and captured it.Everyone was crowding me.My mom and dad were very impressed.
Not much longer after,my same friends found a nest of 4 baby rabbits and we took care of them for awhile.
My parents's friends had a young yearling rabbit in their back yard under the house that I captured.I let it go soon enough and he was ok.
Once a large rabbit got into my back yard and chased it into my net.It quickly leaped out and scurried for the front yard.
My former friends had problems with squirrels nesting in their roofing and chewing up all kinds of things.I chased one of the young squirrels into a corner,grabbed its tail,plopped it into a bucket,and set it loose elsewhere.
My dad and I caught a little mouse that was in our back yard.I raised him for a day then let him go.A few hours after,I bought a domesticated mouse,Poppy,along with Lilly and Violet.Too bad they died now.
I caught a humming bird twice once.Same individual.I caught it and as I was untangling the poor thing from the net all my stupid friends stressed it out and it buzzed off.A couple days later I caught it again.I let everyone pet it then let it go again.
Once I was playing with a baby robin I found and taking care of it as it's mom cheered it on.It was just learning how to fly.
A robin was trapped in the garage and I climbed atop our Chevy and caught it and quickly let it go.
I found an injured bird,which we named Bird.He was a grackle.We loved him and took care of him as our own until he healed and glided off.I miss him so. Sad
I found an injured pigeon and kinda messed with it until it wandered off.
I caught a lizard in Hawaii and he was a baby.He was on a bench.He died shortly after because of how cold our hotel room was.
I caught a Western Fence lizard and named him Billy.I had him for many months until he died due to in captivity parasites.
I caught a snake.His ownership was short lived.My mum HATES HATES HATES snakes.She made me rid of it immediately and I did so.
Ok,last one.I was praying mantis hunting at my old elementary campus from my pre school to 1st grade years.That school is up in the hills and rural areas so I found a bat in the corner.I plopped him in my net to check him out as he flapped around and beared teeth at me hissing.He was so cuteeeee! :DHe was all furry,and although he wanted to tear my face apart,I still could kiss him to death like my pets he was SOOO cute.I sound so stupid right now lol! XD But anyways,my old elementary campus is just across the street from my junior high. Very Happy Too bad I had to let that bat go.Still,at least I completed "I want to capture a bat!" Goal!
Last,I didn't really catch it,but up at St Elmo,CO,USA you can hand feed seeds to ground squirrels,regular squirrels,chipmunks,and picket pins which are like mini prairie dogs.A little picket pin let me feed and scratch his back.But the moments I picked him up he squealed like a pig and scurried off... :/ Good memories though! XD

My Instagrams:

Personal Page
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:26 am

Wonderful stories cheers 

I had a tame house-jay when I was a child Very Happy 

A couple of days ago a huge, brown toad was sitting on the carpet in the middle of my living room ! I carried him outdoors VERY carefully, because they pee, when they get frightened geek alien 

HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:30 am

What great stories Emma and Susanne! cheers

I didn't know Toads pee when they're frightened Laughing

I've rescued lots of different birds and animals over the years, but on different occasions and for a lengthy amount of time I've looked after two or three Starlings with injured wings or legs, sparrows and a baby House Martin which I grew very attached to, but I had to let it back into the wild.  

House Martins are incredibly affectionate!  I found him on the ground by the house, he couldn't fly.  At first we kept putting him back in the nest, but the parents were ignoring him.  So I brought him inside and looked after him until he learnt how to fly.  He/she (not sure which) used to sit under my jumper right up by my chin and when it needed the loo it would let you know so it wouldn't mess up my jumper lol!  I had to feed it live mealworms (nice I know!), but he got soooo excited when I got the pot out.

I once had a tiny house mouse baby, being so small I think it was like a runt, it kept having fits though and died only a few weeks later.

My brother rescued a Kestrel chick and hand reared it, her name was Cully.  She eventually went back to the wild.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am

Last edited by schleich61 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 12:27 pm

schleich61 wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

Harriet, many reptiles and amphibians will "evacuate their bowels" if they
become frightened while you are handling them.
One of my rats was pooping a lot until she was tamed enough Laughing 

I caught a young sand lizard once - I was walking through meadow with my family and there were lots of young lizards running away from the sun when they saw us. I managed to catch one, here's a photo - you can see how small it was Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I let it go afterwards.

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Such a great storie everyone! sunny cheers Very Happy

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 4:43 pm

schleich61 wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

become frightened while you are handling them.  When I first handled my pet
young savannah monitor many moons ago to get him used to being handled,
I always covered the floor with newspaper in preparation for the inevitable
flood...fortunately, he became quite tame quickly...Laughing 
Well I've learnt something today then! Laughing useful to know, I won't be picking up any more toads!

Mangalarga wrote:

I caught a young sand lizard once - I was walking through meadow with my family and there were lots of young lizards running away from the sun when they saw us. I managed to catch one, here's a photo - you can see how small it was Very Happy

I let it go afterwards.
Wow, he's SO tiny!!  How lovely I love you

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 6:02 pm

HKHollinstone wrote:
schleich61 wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

become frightened while you are handling them.  When I first handled my pet
young savannah monitor many moons ago to get him used to being handled,
I always covered the floor with newspaper in preparation for the inevitable
flood...fortunately, he became quite tame quickly...Laughing 
Well I've learnt something today then! Laughing useful to know, I won't be picking up any more toads!
Laughing It seems only American toads do that to me - my leopard frogs don't for some reason. :) 

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Mangalarga wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I let it go afterwards.
Reminds me of the little salamanders I see some years in my garden. So tiny! I love you 

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Unfortunately the salamanders move so fast, you can't hold them and take a photo at the same time! sunny 

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Schleich_Figures_4U wrote:
Unfortunately the salamanders move so fast, you can't hold them and take a photo at the same time! sunny 
My dad took that photo - luckily, the lizard wasn't moving for a short moment, otherwise they move incredibly fast Wink
I'd love to see a salamander! I love you 

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Such an interesting story Emma! Unfortunately, many rodents or birds fall victim to our cats hunting. Those few times we are able to save the animal, we would always do our best to care for it. One day, it had to be around early winter time when we found a small baby mouse on our porch. The poor little thing was still breathing and minus a few scratches, looked okay. We took the mouse in and gave it some formula and warmed it up. That mouse lasted 4 days and just when we though it was getting better, it died. I've also caught a few lizards, but didn't have the heart to keep it in a cage and I just let it go Very Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
QuollMate

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:53 pm

So stupid simease cat has already hijacked a grackle nest and a pigeon nest! So sad! I wish people were more responsible with their felines! They leave poops everywhere too. Grrr.

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 11:30 pm

I caught a squirrel in my attic.
A five month old holstien bull that had gotten loose.
A fawn whose mom got hit by a car.
A few snakes, lizards, frogs, toads, etc.
A wild turkey poult.
A steer that got loose at the fair and was rampaging around.
And of course lots of fish. (Most with my fishing pole. :) )

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it is going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming. (One of my favorite archery quotes)
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 8:02 am

Last edited by schleich61 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
QuollMate

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Dang tht is so cool! I would just love that!

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Interesting, I lived as a child in the South of Portugal, next to a natural reserve. :) So, I played with several animals though I only kept them for very short periods, sending them back to their homes. :)
I caught them only to observe them for a while and most are the same animals as everyone, toads, bats, several insects and other arthropods, mainly common yellow scorpions, birds rarely once I knew it was not good to them. Though, the favorite animal of the kids of my homeland, was and is the chameleon. It can keep a long time with us, some can feel confortable to start hunting flies and they are very funny because of their eyes, the way they climb and walk, the prehensile tails and also because they can change their color. The animal I remember keeping for some years, it was a terrapin, they were abundant in these days.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Every year a pair of robins and a pair of finches nest in our yard. Every single year one of the robin fledglings falls into our window wells, and cries until I climb down and help it out, much to its mother's chagrin. Then a long time ago we hear desperate chirping for days on end, and discovered it to be a huge nest of Starling babies (whose mother had deserted it already) in our neighbors grill. I got them all out and raised them to adult hood. Otherwise, only other animal I have caught was our previously stray dog when he wandered into our yard looking like... well, like a dog in need of some help. Wink Anyways, great stories everyone!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
QuollMate

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Amazing story Roger and Wolf Hound!!!!

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
Takama

Takama

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 4:26 am

Oh my gosh, When my dad was alive, we go out to local lakes and rivers to catch frogs take them home for a day or to, and let them go later. It was some good times that I wish to relive.

Since we live along the Mississippi river the highway will be crossed by turtles who wish to lay there eggs.  One time, we saw a huge one cross the road, so we pulled over to catch it. Thing is, it was a huge snapping turtle. My dad managed to get it by grabbing it by the tail and luckly we had our truck so we put it there.   When we got home my mom was freaking out because we had a big snappy reptile who was covered with leaches.  We eventually let the big thing go.

Recently, I been going on walks around my town at night, and that's when the Tree frogs and Toads come out in the grass. When ever I see one or two I always try to catch it, because I haven't done so since my Dad Died on Thanksgiving in 2009 Crying or Very sad .   I normally just carry them home, then let them go in my yard. I one time caught a really  big toad, and took it home to scare one of my female friends Twisted Evil . She hated me afterwards.
Back to top Go down
QuollMate

QuollMate

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? EmptyWed Nov 13, 2013 4:54 am

Your story is touching especially because it has memories to it! That's really awesome! I would be in Heaven doing that!!

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you caught any animals?   Have you caught any animals? Empty

Back to top Go down

Have you caught any animals?
Page 1 of 1