Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs

Go down 
+5
widukind
trevok4
LeeAnn
SUSANNE
blackdanter
9 posters
AuthorMessage
blackdanter

blackdanter

Country/State : East Sussex, UK

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Here are some really vintage dinosaur figures.

These figures were first made available at the 1964 New York Worlds Fair. They are unique amongst dinosaur collectables in that the figures were produced in a machine on demand at the venue. The production technique was known as Mold-a-Rama and for 25 cents you would see your figure molded by a low temperature injection process before your eyes! Each machine was equiped to produce one figure and machines producing other figures in the series were placed strategically at locations around the fair. A large exhibit at the fair was sponsored by the Sinclair Oil Company and was called Sinclair Dinoland. It was Sinclair who were also responsible for these dinosaur souvenir figures. The figures are commonly known as Sinclair Waxy's. They're a classic piece of Americana and are highly collectable in the US. They've never been produced outside of the US and so are quite hard to find. The figures themselves are quite fragile as they're made from a waxy plastic with similar properties and odour to wax Crayola crayons. As they were molded at low temperatures they will melt at low temperatures (I'm told that a fair number didn't make the car journey home in hot temperatures!) and they were prone to molding defects due to the nature of the high demand process used to make them and a not always regular servicing schedule on the machines. With that in mind it is now really tough to find them in good condition. Most have defects of some sort, often in molding terms but more commonly from rough handling or storage/play issues. Cracks and bits chipped off are not uncommon. They were molded in a wide range of visually arresting primary colours and a group of these figures together can be quite a colourful gathering!

Here's a Mold-a-Rama machine in action.

After the Worlds Fair closed, the Sinclair Dinoland exhibit travelled the US. With it went the Mold-a-Rama machines and some were still working into the 1970's. More recently, the process has been reintroduced at various American attractions and the dinosaurs and a wide range of other animal, vehicle, people etc figures are produced in a slightly different type of plastic.

Original figures from the Worlds Fair are identifiable as they are marked as such on one side of the base with the dinosaur name on the other. Later figures (from the travelling exhibit will have the dinosaur name on one side of the base and 'Sinclair Dinoland' on the other.

Figures produced at the Worlds Fair are the most highly sought after by collectors and tend to command the higher prices.

Here's the base of a genuine Worlds Fair produced figure (Tyrannosaurus).

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair01_zpsbe0387f3

The 7 figure group (less Tyrannosaurus).

From left to right: Brontosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Trachodon, Corythosaurus and Brontosaurus 2 (Commonly known as the 'Looking Back Brontosaurus').

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair03_zpsc914211f

Tyrannosaurus. My favourite figure in the set. He's a true retro king!

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair09_zps7385b35d

My three Tyrannosaurs. One Worlds Fair original in bronze and two travelling exhibit moldings.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair07_zps3f72fa01

Brontosaurus.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair12_zpsd29676eb

Brontosaurus 2. The Looking Back Brontosaurus.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair08_zps1efefc91

Triceratops.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair15_zps85387fc6

Colour variations.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair04_zpscd34f84b

Stegosaurus.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair10_zpsb5d0205a

Ankylosaurus.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair13_zpsf432fd18

Colour variations.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair06_zps5adaf017

Trachodon.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair11_zps294c0ab3

Colour variations.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair02_zps940ca039

Corythosaurus.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair14_zpsb704551b

Colour variations and one with molding flashing still intact.

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Sinclair05_zps0a239666

So, in terms of value, the 'Looking Back Brontosaurus' is the rarest figure and tends to command around £100 in good condition. Genuine Worlds Fair figures tend to cost around £25-30 each. The Stegosaurus is hard to find complete and properly molded and so is usually more expensive. Later moldings from the travelling exhibit tend to sell for around £7-20 depending on condition and colour.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:15 pm

What a beautyful, wonderful collection !!! Applause 

Thankyou very much for showing us, and for the beautyful photoes cheers 

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks for sharing your wonderful, interesting collection! cheers

trevok4

Country/State : london UK

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:45 pm

i thik the t rex is the best one aswell but still good collection

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 6:30 pm

You have many many interesting things my friend cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Great oldies there,congrats!!Applause Applause 
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptySat May 09, 2015 1:11 am

OMG I remember getting these as a kid in the 70s! I didn't go to a fair; they had machines set up in every service plaza along the Florida Turnpike- they probably weren't 'travelers' but machines sold for the sort of place they were- they didn't say World's Fair along the base; I think they did say 'Florida's Turnpike'. I loved them and loved watching them get molded; unfortunately they were fragile and are long gone. I definitely remember a brontosaurus; I think a tyrannosaurus and stegosaurus also. There were other sorts of animals too; I remember the alligator and there is actually still one of these mold machines at Gatorland in Orlando that makes a gator one.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptySat May 09, 2015 7:45 am

Shocked Another Blackdanter's fabulous topic I missed Sleep

The whole collection has a fantastic vintage touch and the Trex could compete with the VEBPhlaho one for the "incredible Trex" contest Applause

Cheery on cake for you, you have another hunting path with these Florida's Turnpikes Wink
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptySat May 09, 2015 7:51 am

Very cool and so interesting!!  Only dinosaurs?

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptySat May 09, 2015 11:49 am

How great that you brought this wonderful topic foward again, Christophe cheers cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs EmptySat May 09, 2015 10:33 pm

I also missed this topic, thanks pipsxlch for bringing it back and Black Danter for making such an informative topic about real vintage dinosaurs. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs   Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs Empty

Back to top Go down

Miller 1964 NY Worlds Fair Sinclair Mold-a-Rama Dinosaurs
Page 1 of 1