Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 

Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Miss Jane

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:12 am

(My second paper-clay sculpture, a cute, fat little Jack Russell Terrier. )

I've been on about these for a while, and as this is one of my current 'occupations' so to speak, I shall certainly post them here.

While entirely different in style to some of the (very) realistic (and stunning) models so many wonderful people on here create, my sculpts have a charm of their own, in a simple kind of way. I would love to be able to try realistic sculpts - but that will be when I have a less limited variety of supplies.

The beauty of Paper Clay (homemade) is the fact it is simple and cheap to make. It is not, however, easy, or quick! The whole process is very time consuming, especially making/storing the clay. (And using it up within 3-4 days.) 

As for the sculpts themselves, they are lovely, very sturdy (I am making my sister some as toys!) and each one I make has its own personality. I hope to, very soon, get my 'for sale' website up and running and have some of these available soon. The other good thing about this clay is the amount, in that it is cheap and easy to make life-sized -and lifelike animal sculptures (this I intend to do!).

~ Works in Progress ~ (For Everyone's Enjoyment! Surprised Surprised )

'

Preparation - the armaments...

Making the armament -

Armaments - (More when sculpts are finished)

First Layer of Clay - Taking Form

My 4yo sister's Christmas present - a Brachyosaurus. He's that tall! And will be very sturdy. 

My previous Sculpts, The first one I did - the Shire, and the second, donwsized, the JRT. 

I will, in future, do tutorials (especially the clay recipe) Smile 
And, one of my goals is to end up making every single one of the breeds of dogs (Shocked ) (all 600-something of them). Hehe, good thing I have a lifetime...

Keep checking for updates and finished sculpts!!
Back to top Go down
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:23 am

You got some really cute and expressive effects there! Congratulations!! My favorite is Shire horse!
@Miss Jane wrote:

~ Works in Progress ~ (For Everyone's Enjoyment! Surprised Surprised )

'

Preparation - the armaments...

I just love these 2 photos, looks like animal invasion on your table affraid affraid affraid 

I know this technique. Once I sculpted almost life sized giant anteater in it. And, I find it really difficult one - hard to control. And even after drying it's hard to sculpt in it because it's almost stone hard! But the fun during preparing paper mache is great  Very Happy  And effects are always a surprise cheers 

I think your project is fascinating, keep us updated!! cheers

http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 am

They are wonderul cheers 

So enormously charming and unique !
I can't wait to see more ...it look slike you are making an Afghan hound too ?

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:02 pm

I was looking into doing this but haven't gotten the time to try it out yet. Sounds like a lot of fun, and your sculptures are great! The shire is really nice. Very Happy cheers I look forward to seeing more!
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:35 pm

It is impressive how unusual they look like! You did a fantastic job! Applause 

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:44 am

I find it really exciting and I will surely follow your work. Very Happy Results are surprising, Impressive that you want to make all dog breeds Shocked I think it was easier to make a life sized blue whale. Laughing
For lifesized figures, some mise species and little obscure creatures would be excelent. Very Happy

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:45 am

This is really interesting, I've never heard of this sculpting method before! The animals look super, I love progress photos cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Really interesting:cheers: cheers cheers  And a nice job Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause 

Country/State : Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:43 pm

they are brilliant.
Applause  I love your style.
Back to top Go down
animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:03 am

These are just adorable! I love the style, and especially love that fat little jack russel Very Happy:P

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:33 am

I am so glad everyone likes! cheers

I love this kind of sculpting, probably because I have never use real sculpting materials. (I daresay if I had this method would be considered difficult!)
One day I would love to try realism with clay, but for now, this medium is great for what I want.

Ana - you should currently see my desk! It is so full - of mess, and not exactly usable either! Between sculpting, repaints and armaments, there's no room left for me! Please may I see your Giant anteater? I would love to Surprised That sounds like a long project, how long did it take you?
Yes! You are very right - all the sculpting has to be done before it sets and even then I've had some slope and sag and change shape. (Like that Jack Russell's nose, if you look closely.) I also had one who's entire sculpted side fell off while I was working on it! Shocked I was not amused. Evil or Very Mad 
Now I try use as little clay as possible, to prevent that happening again!

Susanne - Yes! I am, making an Afghan. To scale, he isn't =P, especially considering the JRT is so big! I want him to be black and tan. His tail will get better feathering soon.

Roger - All dog breeds - yes, I know! I'm a bit crazy there, but if I can't own them all... well, I want to own miniatures of them all. Very Happy 
A LIFE-sized whale? Blue whales are huge! Shocked Shocked Shocked Show us???
Might I ask what 'mise' means? (apologies on not understanding!) 
I would like to try some life sized sculpts, but need ideas, and, really, people to buy them when I'm done!

Thank you all again! I will keep you all posted! (If anyone's interested in my recipe... let me know, I can to tutorials too.)
Back to top Go down
Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:44 am

Susanne - sorry, you get referenced twice!
Here is the Afghan now, I thought it was up there. scratch 

The tail will be curled in much more (like IRL) and I will add some extra feathering on body.
The nose is also too sharp atmo.

I also see a lot of other anatomical faults, but I'll patch it up more.

And... some Jack Russell Pics. (Drag for full size).

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 pm

The afgan hound looks great so far! I can't wait to see it finished! cheers

I think Roger meant "nice" not "mise." Wink
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
bjarki12

Country/State : USA/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:47 pm

These look really good! What an interesting looking material, too. Have you tried other kinds of clay? If so, how do you think the paper clay compares?

The cardboard armature look like a really effective way to get the animal shapes right.

I really like the brachiosaurus. Your sister's going to love it!
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 pm

@Fisva wrote:
It is impressive how unusual they look like! You did a fantastic job! Applause 

cheers Applause Very Happy Cool study Thank you good initiative, the board gives me ideas. thank you very much
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:27 pm

@Miss Jane wrote:

Might I ask what 'mise' means? (apologies on not understanding!) 
Embarassed I am so sorry for my bad English! Sad I mean mice, the plural of mouce... sorry... mouse. Laughing geek

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:37 am

Haha, Roger Very Happy, that is ok! I am sure your English is very good - if I were to try another language, I only know German and I don't think that would get me through too many countries!

Mice, then? Wink Any species/sub in particlular?

bjarki12 - I have never used any other kind of clay... for sculpting animals. I dearly want to, though, to compare. I'm actually thinking of buying some 'real' clay and using it in comparison.
The cardboard works well, but takes ages to make - each one has to be supported with paddlepopsticks/wood, padded, and covered with sticky tape, as well as stay the legs with cardboard. Anyone intersted in an armament tutorial?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:04 pm

@Miss Jane wrote:
Haha, Roger Very Happy, that is ok! I am sure your English is very good - if I were to try another language, I only know German and I don't think that would get me through too many countries!

Mice, then? Wink Any species/sub in particlular?

What about a pale kangaroo mouse?
Cute and small! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:34 am

So Roger - Yes, indeed, I will!
Let's see what we can do...

Haha - I was looking them up, thinking (if these are Australia, I haven't seen them... they aren't marsupial mice...) turns out they're not! I did find this one though and awww!

Maybe 2 now - one with ears like this! - (I have a feeling there's some image manip happening here... xD)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:11 am

@Miss Jane wrote:

Maybe 2 now - one with ears like this! - (I have a feeling there's some image manip happening here... xD)
What cute little fellers !!! drunken 
I think that last one actually looks like that http://www.topnews.in/exclusive-mickey-mouse-kangaroo-captured-camera-first-time-28700
A long eared jerboa cheers 

More photoes HERE rabbit Very Happy Very Happy 

Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:39 am

@Miss Jane wrote:

Ana - you should currently see my desk! It is so full - of mess, and not exactly usable either! Between sculpting, repaints and armaments, there's no room left for me! Please may I see your Giant anteater? I would love to Surprised That sounds like a long project, how long did it take you?
Yes! You are very right - all the sculpting has to be done before it sets and even then I've had some slope and sag and change shape. (Like that Jack Russell's nose, if you look closely.) I also had one who's entire sculpted side fell off while I was working on it! Shocked I was not amused. Evil or Very Mad 
Now I try use as little clay as possible, to prevent that happening again!
Yes, I can imagine it was not nice to see whole part of animal falling off! affraid  That's what I'm talking about - this material is not easy!  

Anteater was work for my studies, I believe I worked 4 months on it but not every day, more like 1-2 times a week.

That's how he looked like when it was finished :)

And side view

http://www.horseandbird.com
Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:58 am

Wow, Susanne, thanks for the info! OMG they're REAL! Shocked Shocked 
That's like the Fennec Fox of the Mouse Kingdom, haha.
I'm amazed.

Ana - It was horrible! There I was, sculpting away late at night and then ploop! Off it fell - after I had finished it too! The annoying part of it was it fell onto its sculpted side and because the clay is so wet it wouldn't unstick! Also my sister watched the whole thing and laughed her head off Mad while I begged for help to get it back on. Nup... Rolling Eyes 
I LOVE your anteater! He is very realistic, too. How did you come across the idea? Also how did you find the consistency of each new batch of clay?
Have you got armament photos?
Excellent work! Making any more? Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:58 am

An update on the Afghan... only 30 minutes old. 
The tail... xD
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:59 pm

@SUSANNE wrote:
@Miss Jane wrote:

What cute little fellers !!! drunken 
I think that last one actually looks like that http://www.topnews.in/exclusive-mickey-mouse-kangaroo-captured-camera-first-time-28700
A long eared jerboa cheers 

More photoes HERE rabbit Very Happy Very Happy 

Yes, that is an extra cute creature, long-eared gerboas are lovely creatures, surely even a better idea than mine. Very Happy

Nice to see how your work is developing, nice dog with curled tail. Very Happy

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:13 am

Very interesting figures! I like the Jack Russell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorsquest.com/collector/ken-yeo
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay   Today at 11:11 am

Back to top Go down

Animal Sculpts - *WIPs* Using Home-made Paper Clay
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next