Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The topic "Animals where you live" won the SUY for December" Very Happy

Share | 

1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Miss Jane

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:09 am

I thought I'd put this little guy up just for the heck of it - and since 1:12 dogs are my main collection, expect to see more breeds soon.

So I recently bought my first ever bit of real clay for a Christmas project I'm doing (not an animal, so I can't post it here xD), and have been using the spare clay to do a bit of customising on some made in china models.
I am absolutely thrilled with the results, and will be doing more, as well as some homemade sculptures. 
I intend to make canids my profession... Wink 

Where better to start?

So, without further ado, I present, in progress, the...

Aidi
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The Aidi is a breed of dog well known for its looks and guarding ability.
Also known as the Atlas Mountain Dog or Atlas Dog, the Aidi is a rare breed throughout the world, whilst being common in its homeland of Morocco.
The breed has been much discussed and some confusion still exists regarding the breed's origins, and the original purpose of the breed.
Some say the breed was created and bred as a herding type dog, but most living working Aidis in their homelands work in a different manner to European sheepdogs, and are more likely used as protectors of their humans and possessions - which can include livestock - from predators.

The Aidi I have been working on, as well as some other, interesting info:

It begins, for me, when I evaluate the anatomical features of a made in china canine, and whether I think it is worth customising, and whether it is accurate at all. 
For this original made in china hollow model, I saw an Aidi immediately - and it fit perfectly with my 1:12 scale in size, as it measured the same at the whithers as my (irl 23inch) Labrador by Schleich 1:12, and in real life, the Aidi measures up to 23-24 inches. Perfect size, and the proportions were correct too.

The original model. While inside it housed an Aidi in there, somewhere, there was a lot that didn't resemble much - not even the original Collie.
When compared to a real Aidi, some things needed altering.
The back was too roached (on the model), the ears at the wrong set, and even the tail was too narrow. 
More could have been done, but I decided to keep my first resculpt simple, as I didn't know what to do with it.
Out came the knife...  and the clay... to patch up the mess I'd made. Joy!
I hollowed out the back and made the rump rise slightly, as in real Aidis. The tail I shortened, and edited later on. 
Then texture was added in clayed areas...
The head I domed, after nicely cutting off its ears and flattening its skull in preparation for the clay.
After some days of drying, I patched up the bald spots and seam lines, and added some brush to the tail. 
I didn't really want too big of a tail, because the dog was already leaning towards the lighter boned type Aidi.
Ears were then carefully added, and I was finally satisfied with the set - the dog didn't need to look like a 
prick-eared Border Collie! The ear set is very natural, and breed-like.
Other body parts patched up, texture added... and...
Representing its breed!
The Aidi was painted using off white over and over...
and this is its current stage - ready for colour.
As Aidis come in a huge variety of colours (as the breed has not been bred for one or another colour like, for example, Labradors have) they express almost all of the range of colours available - including Dominant black, most forms of agouti, and extension of, most dilutions, as well as various forms of white patterning.

I have decided my Aidi will be an extreme piebald coloured dog, and will likely show one of these colours: (A quick sketch)
On further thoughts, I may do a simple chocolate extreme piebald.
Thoughts, anyone?

For more information on Aidis and colours/markings, I put together a bitof info on my blog:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:32 am

Beautiful custom Applause  and thank yu for the making of pics and cultural background Very Happy 

I like very much the second and third version for painting.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:11 am

Great work:-)

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:29 am

I love seeing progress photos, this is great work Miss Jane!! I like the Chocolate and white piebald.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Beautiful custom!!! When I look at this dog, I actually wish I could have one, but, oh, I don't collect dogs Laughing I'm so amazed by this work! bounce bounce Applause Applause 

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Beautiful work, so much better than before! What type of clay did you use?

I really like the fawn and white with chocolate brindle pattern Very Happy

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Wonderful custom Miss Jane! Congratulations!!! I can't wait to see it with colours :)

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:16 pm

It looks great, a really big improvement cheers
I like the chocolate and white the best Smile 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
...clay for a Christmas project I'm doing (not an animal, so I can't post it here xD)...
You can post it here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

http://www.little-dandelion-studio.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Thankyou for taking us with you on the wonderful tranformation to this beautyful dog cheers
I never heard of this breed before, but now , thanks to you, I learned something important today Very Happy  

You did a great job , I am very, very impressed Applause 

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm torn between the chocolate piebald, black and tan, and the fawn brindle. This is a great custom!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Exciting project of a breed that I've never heard before. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:22 pm

It looks beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product.I love how you showed us step by step. I have to say, I would love to see a fawn and white with chocolate brindle(I love brindle). Thank you for sharing the breed with us, I had never heard of it before, its adorable! Very Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:12 am

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments!

I am surprised how much you all like it - to me its a very simple custom. At the moment I'm actually working on an English setter which I think looks a lot more amazing than this guy. Oh well, small beginnings eh?

As for colour, In the breed white is not the only colouration possible, and is, in fact, one of the more unusual colour patterns. Solid dogs are fairly common, as well as recessive reds, and sable as the most dominant form of agouti seen in the breed. 
I really like the chocolate/extreme piebald though, so I think that is what he will be. Don't worry, though, one day I will make a model (a heavier boned male, perhaps, with decent plumage on its tail) and it will probably be fawn sable/mask. 

I am also thrilled that this is an educational post as well!
I do intend to collect each breed ofdogs (all 600+ of them) someday, even if I have to make them, and I prefer this 1:12 scale - it's perfect.
I also would love to use my models for all people to educate them about different breeds of dogs, as well as colours and characteristics. So prepare to know more about these breeds!
Wink Wink 

Very pleased you all like it!

I'll add updates shortly.
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
So prepare to know more about these breeds!
Wink Wink 
cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
christinavanderschouw

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:24 pm

I hope you will reach your goal and collect all breeds possible! I think this Aidi looks wonderfull! Can't wait to see it coloured!
I was wondering, do you have the wirehaired pointing griffon yet? That is a pretty unknown and wonderfull breed too. This Aidi is so beautifull Ican't wait to see you doing the breed I love most cheers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   
Back to top Go down
AlvinCK

Country/State : Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Jane, Aidi reminds me of a labrador with thick fluffy hair, interesting dog breed indeed! You could do copies of it and paint them according to the colours as in your reference catalog!!  cheers Wink 

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:44 am

Christinavanderschouw - 

Why thank you! I have, for so long, loved studying and discrovering dog breeds, especially rare ones that are not -official- by certain kennel clubs, but are still breeds in their own rights - both in history and culture.
I  certainly hope I will collect all my breeds. =) Even if I have to make them!
I have no Wireheaired Pointing Griffon! Which is terrible, but I will have one! Perhaps I shall make one soon, will have to likely do it from scratch.

AlvinK - Yes! The Aidi is such a lovely, and unusual breed!
I love how they could pass for a furry BC but are too solidly built, and look like a dog of their own. So cute and flurfy.
That's a great idea, but the whole model isn't mine, so I don't think I can. =/ One day I will make another mountain type Aidi, and maybe make copies then.
That would be cool.

Updated photos very soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)   Today at 5:23 am

Back to top Go down

1:12 Aidi Custom (Rare Dog Breed)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1