Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Plastic Smell?

Go down 
+12
scot(t)
bojan
Bloodrayne
LukaLeon085
trevok4
SUSANNE
animalluvr6
LeeAnn
widukind
Roger
arafan
zonk
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
zonk

Country/State : Germany

Smell - Plastic Smell? Empty
PostSubject: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi Smile 

a few days ago I received my first Mojö figure, the koala bear. It's really sweet but there's a huge problem: The plastic smells extremely bad Shocked 
Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it a general problem with Mojö?

-Astrid
Back to top Go down
arafan

arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:09 pm

Weclome here Astrid! cheers
I have the same problem, but also with CollectA

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Have you received it from Mojo or have you bought it? Very Happy
Mojo figures have a specific smell that is very intense when we are talking about samples that sometimes the brand send as gifts. Those are testing figures whose process of deodorization was not done. Those we buy in shops, have also some smell but not intense, some more noticiable, others not at all but it also happens with CollectA figures, for example.
Mojo moved factory recently and probably new products are different in this matter.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Welcome here☀ sunny 

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Welcome here sunny

arafan

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Roger wrote:
Have you received it from Mojo or have you bought it? Very Happy
Mojo figures have a specific smell that is very intense when we are talking about samples that sometimes the brand send as gifts. Those are testing figures whose process of deodorization was not done. Those we buy in shops, have also some smell but not intense, some more noticiable, others not at all but it also happens with CollectA figures, for example.
Mojo moved factory recently and probably new products are different in this matter.
Thank you for this informations, I didn't know that!

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Welcome here! I have never had that problem with the smell of any figures. I hope it'll go away for you! Very Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Hello, Zonk ! Wellcome here !sunny 

I understand that Mojo has been moving to new fascilities, so perhaps they have sent out a lot of very freshly made models ? scratch 

I never had that problem with Mojo, at least not more than other brands.
Sometimes, if they arrive in the plastic bag, there is a sort of sharp smell, but it goes away after a few days in fresh air Very Happy 

trevok4

trevok4

Country/State : london UK

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 pm

welcome

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks for your replies and the warm welcome Very Happy 

I bought it online from spielzeug-guenstig.de and it arrived sealed in a plastic bag. Perhaps that's the reason for its smell.
Now it sits outside in front of the window, hopefully the smell will soon be gone! Smile
Back to top Go down
LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 9:47 pm

yes, me too for Mojo and old Papo animals, but these animals have the CE of Europen United, so its smell is not bad for our health.

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Welcome!
Have you tried to gently wash it with some warm water and soap?
Sometimes the factory uses some kind of chemical to spray the mould so the figure doesn't stick to it.
It should wash off very easily.
Or maybe you have a cat?
Sometimes it works to remove bad plastic smell by putting the figure in a bag or container
and fill it with kitty litter.
Just leave it there for a few days and the kitty litter will absorb the smell.
Just a few tips that could work.sunny 
Me myself kind of like the smell of new figures. HA!albino

Country/State : slovenia

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:

Me too, and the smell of new shoes! Heavenly! Very Happy

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:

Laughing Laughing Yes, when I open the glass cabinet... Ah! Laughing 

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 11:47 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:

Me too! LaughingVery Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
zonk

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks for your answers! Smile 

Unfortunately it's not smelling "new" it's rather a sharp smell, somehow almost toxic Shocked

I also tried to wash it but it only helped for a moment then the smell returned... Hopefully it will disappear over time Smile
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 1:19 am

zonk wrote:
Thanks for your answers! Smile 

Unfortunately it's not smelling "new" it's rather a sharp smell, somehow almost toxic Shocked

I also tried to wash it but it only helped for a moment then the smell returned... Hopefully it will disappear over time Smile
Do you have "X-O" in your country? In the US we have a product called X-O that will remove odor. Very Happy

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 5:42 am

zonk wrote:

I've always noticed this about Mojo figures. There's a very distinct, slightly peculiar, chemical smell. I notice it when I open the plastic bags that they come in. I haven't noticed the same thing for any other company, so I strongly associate it with Mojo. I have no idea how long it takes to go away, but it does. None of my Mojo figures have it now. (I just smelled a bunch of them.)
Back to top Go down
Egbert

Egbert

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi All

Hope you don't mind me entering the discussion Very Happy 

Roger is correct that recently we did move factories in order to increase production but this will not be the problem. Firstly i can assure you the odour/smell is completely safe and non toxic and as scott says will dissipate in time. However the likely cause of this is that the figure you have bought was from a year ago or more. We have been working on the smell issue for quite some time and its about getting the mix of plasticizers just right. Around 8 months ago we solved this problem and now all our products should have no smell or if any it will be very minimal.

Its part of a learning curve for a new company and each day we learn a little more and improve. So my apologies Zonk for this problem however i can assure you this is now solved.

Scott i am getting a little worried about you, there is a lot of smelling going on, babies heads, plastic animals. Lets just hope you don't catch a cold! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Egbert, it is always fantastic that you can enter discussions and there isn't a better person to clear up this subject than yourself. Thanks! Very Happy

Egbert wrote:
Scott i am getting a little worried about you, there is a lot of smelling going on, babies heads, plastic animals. Lets just hope you don't catch a cold! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
lol! lol! cheers

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Egbert wrote:
Laughing lol! 

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 12:24 am

Egbert wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing  Ha! It's true: a cold would really cramp my smelling style.

p.s. after writing my previous comment, I realized that all the most recent Mojo figures I bought (the stoat, tapir, sloth, and others) did not have the smell at all. Thank you for the information Egbert! It's always really cool to get an inside view.
Back to top Go down
zonk

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 7:55 pm

@Egbert: Thanks!! Now I don't have to be afraid of buying other Mojö animals Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
STORMnl

STORMnl

Country/State : Nijmegen-Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 8:30 pm

I have that smell to,,but not from MOJO

only when i sit on the toilet,,,hahahaha

arafan

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 pm

STORMnl wrote:
I have that smell to,,but not from MOJO

only when i sit on the toilet,,,hahahaha
Laughing lol!

PostSubject: Re: Plastic Smell?   Smell - Plastic Smell? Empty

Back to top Go down

Plastic Smell?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next