Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 

The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Miss Jane

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:49 am

As a dedicated lover of dogs in all aspects, and a s a particular dog genetics and breeds fanatic....

May I present...

My 1:12 All the Breeds of the World Collection.

Naturally, it is incomplete, but what would be the fun in that? No, I will be unraveling each breed as I have the time for, and will someday have the entire collection - even if I end up sculpting my own.

For the interest of you all (because I know you are dying to see them) I will begin with one breed at a time, and make it as informative as possible. My goal as an owner and collector of 1:12 dogs is to educate people as to the whys and hows of my collection - most importantly, accurately imitating each of the world's dog breeds. 
As I complete each breed, I will revert the original post back to a name and photograph, as well as a link to my blog on the original post and further information of the breed. I hope you all enjoy, and never think of dogs the same again!

Dogs will be arranged by groups (I.e. herding, hound, etc) and then alphabetically. Enjoy, and feel free to suggest a breed for me to create next!

Working Dogs

American Bulldog
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The American Bulldog, or Am Bully, is a medium-sized, muscular dog commonly found in the United States - the breed's place of origin.
This breed is a versatile and agile dog, having been bred for decades as a working breed, both for hunting and guarding purposes. This bulldog breed has a loving nature when properly socialized, and is also a fantastic hunting dog. The breed is often subject to breed criticism based on appearance alone, and can be thought of as a pit bull type dog. Truly the breed is not, however, and has made its may into many roles in modern times, such as guarding, companionship, and uniting/bailing feral animals. The breed has become popular in other countries and its working abilities have been long regarded.
In type and appearance, Bullys are solid, muscular dogs with a robust appearance and a powerful build. The breed is actually divided into two recognised types, the Johnson Bully and the Scott Bully. Johnson Bullys are also called 'classic' type Bullys and show a great resemblance to the original Bullys brought back from extinction. These dogs are larger, solid, heavily boned and more of a Mastiff in physique than a Bulldog. The face is more pronounced, and flat, and the body distinctly heavier and more solid. The second type, the Scott Bullys, are lighter, and have been purposely bred for working abilities. This type depicts less of the Mastiff look and more of an agile, lighter-boned hunter. The face is noticeably longer, and this dog is overall smaller than the Johnson type.
The third, unrecognized type is any mix pf the two, an is simply referred to as an American Bulldog.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Left: Johnson's Type American Bulldog.          Right: Scott's Type American Bulldog.

The history of the breed goes back into the days of the Original English Bulldog in England, after the ban of live Bull-Baiting as a sport. The original English Bulldog was much larger, and stronger (also with a considerably better complexion) than its modern day descendant, the British Bulldog. This Olden day type of Bulldog practically became extinct in its homeland due to the ban of bull baiting, and as showing dogs to standard became more popular. 
Fortunately for this original breed, immigrant of the time took these useful working Bulldog specimens as hunting and guard dogs, and the breed bred true again  in the states. The breed was again threatened but was rescued by the attempts of a very dedicated man, and thus, flourished again. The breed is now popular worldwide.
Above - the original English Bulldog in the days of Bull baiting, showing its similarities to the Am Bully breed.

The American Bulldog is elegant yet strong in appearance. Dogs are coated with a fine, smooth and short-haired coat, and carry a long, whip-like tail, either above the spine or at the hocks. 
Colours can be extensive - Bullys carry agouti mostly in the form of Sable, and exhibit all variants of sable, as well as Masking, Brindling, and also Black. Dogs come in all variants of White patterning, as well as exhibiting Ticking patterns. It is unclear whether the breed exhibits tanpointed agouti or saddling, but this is unlikely. Merle is also not known to the breed, and any specimens of merle are likely crosses. 
Generally, the breed is not cropped or docked, nor has the standard ever specified this within the breed.
MY figure is a New-Ray American Bulldog, exhibiting the Scott's Type American Bulldog - smaller, lighter build, and lengthened muzzle. This model exhibits Fawn and White (Piebald) with Black Sable (despite no evidence of a mask, I will make it sable, as red is not seen in the breed) and possibly ticking (see dog's ear). 

~~~~~~~

Keep watching for more uppdates, and let me know what you all think!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:42 am

Very nice walkaround of a Dog model I never heard about.  Applause 

I'm not really a Dog toys collector and I don't know a lot of things about real dogs  Embarassed 

Nevertheless, your topic is very very interesting for me, very informative. It is an excellent idea  cheers 

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Very nice walkaround of a Dog model I never heard about.  Applause 

I'm not really a Dog toys collector and I don't know a lot of things about real dogs  Embarassed 

Nevertheless, your topic is very very interesting for me, very informative. It is an excellent idea  cheers 

I agree cheers cheers cheers 

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:33 am

Great subject ! And very interesting cheers 
I like this model, an Scott's Type , much better than the heavier ones Very Happy

Ohh, I cried as a child, when Laura's bulldog, Jack, died  Wink 

What is the difference between an Amastaff and this one ? Do you know ?

Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:18 am

Thank you all for the comments!

I am happy to say I have finally found a way to satisfy my love of the breeds other than writing that dog encyclopedia (which, some day, will be written), and instead, enjoy my beasties in model form. Where better to start, really..

I am thrilled with the thought of educating people =D about dogs and their breeds, as this animal is such an important and influential character in the world, and always has been - especially where people are concerned. Breeds, too, influence how these particular dogs turn out, and are just as important.

So, Susanne. Thank you for your question. Yes, there is a difference, and yes, I would be happy to tell you. I will do my best not to overwrite. xD

The American Bulldog originated in England from the first officially bred 'bull baiting
dogs. Of course, this sport was finally made illegal but unfortunately the practice of harming animals didn't stop there. While the Bulldog type vanished and its descendants moved to America and became guard and hunting dogs, some form of this Bulldog remained - and not simply as a show dog - in its native land. During this time, (1800s) dog fighting became a poplar sport both in England and in the US. Dogs were specifically bred from these Bulldog lines for the sole purpose of fighting - and killing - other dogs. The type of bulldog remained somewhat similar to the original breed used for Bull baiting, but characteristics changed over the years, producing a smaller, hardier dog. This type was fairly common in the US and was distinctly different to the Am Bully. Finally the type became officially recognised and was given the name 'American Pitbull Terrier'. Dog fighting was outlawed, but the breed had earned its reputation for good - the breed that was bred to kill. During the official recognition of the American Pitbull, some breeders decided to breed back to the dogs they preferred and wrote a new standard, for these conformationally bred dogs. This type of Pitbull later became recognised as the American Staffordshire Terrier - and is a different breed, although some kennel clubs merge it in with the Pit Bull. Since the split of the Bulldog breeds, a great many similar, yet distinctly different 'Bully' breeds have been created. Some of these are the American Bulldog, English Bulldog, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier, and English Staffordshire Terrier.

American Bulldog:
Represents the old type of Bull baiting dog found in England.

American Pitbull Terrier:
The Pitbull can be bigger than the Amstaff, but is usually leaner and more agile. When the breeds are combined, it can be hard to differentiate the two.

American Staffordshire Terrier:
The amstaff is considered similar to the old type Bulldog, and bred back to the Am Bully type dogs, which is why the dogs may appear similar.

English Bulldog:
The companionised, show bred dog very different to the original Bulldog

English Staffordshire Terrier:
Another English Bully breed bred at the opposite end of the height scale to the other Staffordshire.

And oh dear, I think I overdid it! xD And I am likely on the wrong forum... bah. I can always delete the contents xD

Oh - and as a side note: The American Pitbull Terrier has been banned in Australia as a dangerous dog (labelled human killer, pah) and there are severe fines and legislation to go through for owners. Surprisingly, the American Staffordshire is completely legal, is shown and bred as companions. These dogs are huge. The heads are massive.
As the for the Am Bully here, it is becoming very popular as a boar baiting dog now, especially crossed with Bull Arabs.
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:42 am

The amstaff is considered similar to the old type Bulldog, and bred back to the Am Bully type dogs, which is why the dogs may appear similar.

Staffordshire terriers were English made cross between Bulldogs(not the bulldogs of today, the old bulldogs were agile, healthy breed in that time) and smaller terriers. Many of those dogs came to America during immigrations where they gained weight and height which separated them from smaller and stockier Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The breed was registered in 1936 by AKC as Staffordshire Terriers and the prefix American was given only in 1972 to eliminate too much breed name similarity with Staffordshire Bull Terriers...

Interesting, dog in the photo you've posted is Stonyham's Thunder v. Billjack's, male imported from the USA, actually the father of my Gizmo  Very Happy   

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:48 pm

This is very interesting Miss Jane, I like how you compare your figures to the real animal. It's clear you are very knowledgeable about dogs and dog breeds, and it is wonderful that you share your knowledge with us! cheers cheers

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Staffordshire terriers were English made cross between Bulldogs(not the bulldogs of today, the old bulldogs were agile, healthy breed in that time) and smaller terriers. Many of those dogs came to America during immigrations where they gained weight and height which separated them from smaller and stockier Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The breed was registered in 1936 by AKC as Staffordshire Terriers and the prefix American was given only in 1972 to eliminate too much breed name similarity with Staffordshire Bull Terriers...

Interesting, dog in the photo you've posted is Stonyham's Thunder v. Billjack's, male imported from the USA, actually the father of my Gizmo  Very Happy   

This is all very interesting. Thank you both for the information. And what a coincidence! That dog in the picture is very handsome, he could only be the dad to your Gizmo.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:28 pm

This type of Pitbull later became recognised as the American Staffordshire Terrier - and is a different breed, although some kennel clubs merge it in with the Pit Bull.
Well, some say a different breed, some say the same... This explains everything
"In the early 1930’s a group of fanciers petitioned the American Kennel Club to accept their dogs into the registry. These dogs already registered with the United Kennel Club, but their owners had no interest in dog fighting. They wanted to promote their breed as family dogs and show dogs. They formed a national breed club and wrote a standard for the breed. Much agonizing was done over the proper name for the breed, and the American Kennel Club was not inclined to register them with the same name as the United Kennel Club did. Finally they were accepted with the name of Staffordshire Terrier in 1936. This was just a year after the English bull-and-terriers under the same name of the Staffordshire Bull Terriers were recognized with the Kennel Club of England. The standards of both the English and American breeds were written similarly, and even contained some identical phrases. The authors of both kept in touch with each other, working toward their common goad of acceptance by their kennel clubs. At that time , the dogs described were more similar in size and structure than the breeds appear today.

In the early 1970’s the name of the Staffordshire terrier was changed to American Staffordshire terrier with the American Kennel Club recognized the Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed.

Even as the late as the 1960’s, the AKC stud books were opened to permit United Kennel Club registered American Pit Bull Terrier to compete in AKC shows as American Staffordshire Terriers. Some exceptional dogs were brought into the AKC registry at the time, some even winning the Staffordshire Terrier Club of America National Speciality and an all-breed best in Show. Their influence is still strong in some breeder’s lines today."

Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Schleich_Figures_4U wrote:
This is very interesting Miss Jane, I like how you compare your figures to the real animal. It's clear you are very knowledgeable about dogs and dog breeds, and it is wonderful that you share your knowledge with us! cheerscheers

Exactly! Thank you Miss Jane! What a great work you do!! It's pleasure to read this topic, very, very interesting. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:00 am

skysthelimit - I am very interested in this information, thank you. I think there is so much history within the three breeds and certainly all valid.
I must say the dogs I find most interesting are the original type English Bulldog, as it was, before it became any other breeds. A bit like the true Bull Terrier before it changed.
How interesting your dog is related to he one I chose! Very nice dogs, too.

As for the two breeds, that's a tricky one. Where I live in Aus the two are very separate, even to the point of some Amstaffs having to prove they have minimal Pitbull heritage to be allowed to be owned freely within the country. Pitbulls are so outlawed that DNA tests are often done even on Amstaffs as a means of testing. Bit tricky, really, when they are so closely related.

And I shall certainly be adding more breeds soon, for those who are interested.
Back to top Go down
sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 am

very interesting thread.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Yes ! Very, very interesting !!!
I am not sure I understood it all, - have to go through it later when I have plenty of time Wink

skysthelimit

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:14 pm

A bit like the true Bull Terrier before it changed.

SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am

Ohhh! That is too much ! Poor Bullterrier ! They used to be so lovely  Sad 

skysthelimit

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:43 am

Oh, there's much more Crying or Very sad 

Miss Jane

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:49 am

It's very sad, isn't it? The Bully used to be such a beautiful breed.

And Susanne - oh noes! I have confused you, and I never intended to! I am truly sorry.
Let's just say, many dogs are closely related within their groups (ie - Mastiff, Terrier, Hound, spaniel, setter, pointer, etc... and crosses of such.) Some of the more specialised and unique in the genepool dogs are those isolated 'primitive' breeds such as the Papua New Guinea Singing Dog.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Oh, there's much more Crying or Very sad 

These original breeds looked much nicer and healthier back then, indeed. Shocked Shocked Shocked 
I don't understand  scratch Why people breed them for such extreme characteristics?!  confused  It's like: well, let's try if we can breed elephant with trunk of double length then normal? But why?  No  No 

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
skysthelimit

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Beauty is in the eye of beholder affraid 

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:01 am

Yes, the transformation of older breeds into their newer counterparts is incredible. Just look at the English Bulldog from the early 1900s. In a little over a 100 years they are drastically different than now, and they were much healthier.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale    Today at 11:44 am

Back to top Go down

The World's Dog Breeds - 1:12 Scale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1