Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

sunny Please bring your suggestions for the SUY of June CLICK here sunny

Share | 

Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:01 pm

This minor UK maker made lead figures in a very stylised, almost cartoony style, so not a brand likely to find favour with collectors who look for realistic modelling, however their cartoony style does appeal to some vintage collectors, particularly in the US, where they appeal to collectors of the equally cartoony lead 'dimestore' figures by Barclay and Manoil. They are rare, and often expensive figures to buy.

They were made at Christchurch, Dorset, on the south coast of England, near Bournemouth. Production started in 1938, stopped for the duration of WW2, restarted in 1947, and stopped again in 1951, when Phillip Segal died. Some of his moulds were sold on to new owners, and it is not clear how many figures have been made under new ownership.

In addition to the farm range, of which I have a few, in the photos, there was also a rare set of 12 even more cartoony zoo animals, some soldiers and wild west figures, football teams, and one mega-rare set which would appeal to some farm/village figure collectors, cricket players. I've often imagined the charming village green cricket match scene I could devise using some of my farm cottages, plus a village pub and a church in my collection, and a selection of Britains and others lead farmers and other village people, such as the clergyman, curate, the JoHillCo Innkeeper, the Pixyland/Kew beer drinkers, etc. as the audience. But alas, so far I don't have any Segal cricketers.  Sad 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That's it for my Segal collection folks - I did say they were rare.
Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Very interesting old things!! Thank you for sharing  cheers cheers cheers sunny sunny sunny 

Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Very very interesting topic  Applause  I remember a few zoo animals, the elephant, the panda, the dromedary, all with a very special touch and all very expensive  cheers 

I never saw so many Segal farm animals in one time  drunken You have a fabulous collection  Very Happy

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks once more Dave! I am not able of telling you how interesting I find these contributions from you! Very Happy
I love to read about animal toy figurines world and it is always exciting when we learn something new. I hope someday youfind the cricketers. Very Happy
Thanks again and I hope some more will follow! bounce Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks for sharing that Dave. I am a grandson of Phillip and with my father we have a vast, although not extensive collection of Phillip Segal Toys. Unfortunately Phillip died when my father was very young and my grandmother had to sell the business and toys to get by and therefore the family retained very few.
I am always amazed by the amount of people who adore my grandfathers toys and it gives me a great sense of pride.
From looking at your lovely collection illustrated above, I would comment that I am not convinced that the white horse in the second row, three swans, chicks, two standing sheep and pigs are made by Phillip. The others look legitimate and are lovely examples.
Do you have any idea where the moulds are? Are there any other Segal toys in your collection?
Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:52 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Thanks for sharing that Dave.  I am a grandson of Phillip and with my father we have a vast, although not extensive collection of Phillip Segal Toys.  Unfortunately Phillip died when my father was very young and my grandmother had to sell the business and toys to get by and therefore the family retained very few.
I am always amazed by the amount of people who adore my grandfathers toys and it gives me a great sense of pride.
From looking at your lovely collection illustrated above, I would comment that I am not convinced that the white horse in the second row, three swans, chicks, two standing sheep and pigs are made by Phillip.  The others look legitimate and are lovely examples.
Do you have any idea where the moulds are?  Are there any other Segal toys in your collection?
Thanks for sharing!

Welcome here!  cheers cheers 

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks for sharing that Dave.  I am a grandson of Phillip and with my father we have a vast, although not extensive collection of Phillip Segal Toys.  Unfortunately Phillip died when my father was very young and my grandmother had to sell the business and toys to get by and therefore the family retained very few.
From looking at your lovely collection illustrated above, I would comment that I am not convinced that the white horse in the second row, three swans, chicks, two standing sheep and pigs are made by Phillip.  The others look legitimate and are lovely examples.
Do you have any idea where the moulds are?  Are there any other Segal toys in your collection?
Thanks for sharing!

Very welcome here  sunny sunny sunny 

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:06 pm

A warm wellcome, Segal-grandson  cheers 

How fabulous to have you here ! Perhaps ( If you have time) you will do us the favour to show the collection that was saved in your family ??? bounce Very Happy 

Dave your collection is so incredible, I am very, very much in love with these old, lovely models  Applause 

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:25 pm

Being one of those Americans that enjoy the old toy-like toys, I greatly appreciate the Segal animals. Thanks for sharing the photo of your great farm collection. I have seen many of the wild animals in auctions from time to time. If anyone has a full list of all the animals they made it would be lovely to have it to add to the Toy Animal Collecting Wiki.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://schleich.animobil.info
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Ollie,
I'm very pleased you saw my post, presumably by way of you doing a search for Phillip Segal Toys, and joining the forum when you saw it, and came to join the conversation. A toy dealer told me that some Segal family members are collecting the old figures, so I'm not entirely surprised you've turned up here.
You may be right about some of the animals not being Segal, as they are quite old photos, and it wouldn't be the first time I've changed my mind about who made what as new evidence is found, or I realise I made a mistake, as after all a lot of those old lead farm animals look pretty similar.
Although I realise the white horse is different to the Segal horses in Joplin's books, it is so much of the Segal Toys style, I can't think who else would have made it. I've read that when the business was sold there were more moulds than figures known in the catalogues, which is why I didn't automatically write it off as a Segal Toy, as presumably there are figures the collecting community doesn't know about.
A pig is included in the Segal list at the back of Joplin's yellow book, but no photo, and these pigs looked as though they could be Segal, so I guessed. If you have a photo of the actual Segal pig, a model from your collection or a picture from an old catalogue, it would be helpful.
The swan looks like the swan attributed to Segal in Joplin's blue book.
The standing sheep was another guess, on the basis that there are unknowns, and these look a bit 'toy like', so might be.
You're probably right about the chicks, just a guess at the time.  
I see I shall have to do more research on the standing sheep and chicks.

I don't have many more Segal figures, just a few Cowboys & Indians, in the photo here with some Wend-al C&I. The Segal ones are the 2 mounted figures, lying firing Indians and standing firing Cowboys.

I also have a few of the semi-flat 'Dorset Series' farm figures. I'll look for a photo and add it in a few minutes if I find one.
Edit to add: Here it is, along with some other semi-flat farm figures. I think the landgirl, robin (Christmas cake decoration?) and the
unpainted castings are Segal.
Edit Saturday to add: Having just seen a photo in Joplin's blue book, I now think all these semi-flat figures are Phillip Segal 'Dorset Farmyard Series'. I'll have another look at my other semi-flat farm figures, to see if there are any more.  

I did have 3 of the zoo animals, hippo, kangaroo and tiger, but they went in a swap to get some of the (higher priority for me) rare 1939-40 Britains (supplied by Hugar) wooden farm buildings.

I've no idea where the Segal moulds are now - you'll have to ask Norman Joplin about that. I imagine you've already been in contact with him, but if not, just Google his name and his website with email contact will come up.
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for sharing your further pictures Dave.  You have a very good collection and a really nice set of cowboys and indians! It makes me so pleased that people around the globe love my grandfather's figures.

I have too many individual photos to share them all but some of my figures are on display in a make shift display case, until we move to a bigger house.  Please see below:

My dad also has lots more figures.

I saw the Kangaroo at auction a few months ago but I didn't take it seriously enough and unfortunately missed out on it.  I wonder if this was the same Kangaroo included in your swap many years ago?  Where did you find the Kangaroo originally?  I would love to get hold of another Kangaroo if there are any others around and do have some really good toys to exchange.  We are also missing the Bison, otherwise we have a complete set of the Zoo animals.

The pig seem to be the most difficult farm yard animal to identify.  This is the pig I have been able to identify and I believe is identical to the original catalogue.  Picture as follows:

What do you think?

I am delighted to hear of other peoples collection of my grandfather's toys as it can help build the story and show what variations were made.  Would anyone else like to share their collection?

I am also very interested in the manufacturers which acquired the moulds and then reproduced the toys.  I have a strung boxed set of cowboys and indians produced by North Park Toys for example.  For this reason I am also interested in both Clarke Brothers and Halberd Castings.

Without sounding like a sales pitch, I am always looking to extend the family collection and would like to hear from anyone who would like a swap or to sell anything relating to Phillip Segal Toys.
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Oh and yes my Dad has been friends with Norman Joplin for years. Norman has been a fantastic help.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Oh and yes my Dad has been friends with Norman Joplin for years.  Norman has been a fantastic help.  

Welcome on forum, Ollie! Very Happy It is great to have you here and I hope you can find everything you need related with your family business. :)
It is really interesting to everyone to see these old retired figures having a new life with the help of the Internet.
I think everyone could benefit if the company was better documented online.
As Tim commented, it would be fantastic to have complete lists of the figures released by Segal and share it to every collector interested using [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] :)
If you follow the link, it is still a minimal entry and surely the company of your grand father deserves to be better represented on this Wiki with a valuable source to all collectors that want to know more about these figures. Very Happy
So, if you can provide lists or catalogue information, it would be very appreciated. bounce
Thanks for your and Dave's information about the company, I hope more people with knowledge about this matter joins to the discussion.
Enjoy! cheers

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Super collection!  Applause  Applause  Applause 
I've been keeping records of Segal figures (among many other makes) sold on eBay, at Vectis & similar auctions, and know those nursery rhyme sets fetch really big prices, even without boxes, so can only imagine how much your boxed sets of them would reach if properly auctioned.

That pig was made by Crescent, and is quite common, far too common to be a Segal Toy! I have 7 of them. Although there are two versions, some with 'made in England' on the side, some without. Did Crescent have 2 moulds? Are some of them (if so, which?) by another company? If so, Segal?
The same pig was also (later?) made by Benbros (I have one of these), but their version has the company name on the side. Benbros probably bought the mould from Crescent, as they also did with several Timpo lead moulds. This was probably about 1955-57, when Crescent & Timpo were switching to plastic production, but Benbros didn't make the change, so bought up some redundant moulds. Sometimes Benbros added their name to the mould, or just deleted the previous company name, or the only way to know is by how they're painted.  
I'll eventually get round to doing Benbros & Crescent threads.
Then, to add to the confusion, there were packaging companies such as Bayswick and Kay, who bought in figures from various manufacturers, and made up their own boxed sets, further confusion being caused by the manufacturers themselves (mostly close to each other in London) who bought figures from each other to make up boxed sets. For example, I have a Charbens boxed zoo set with a Cherilea bison in it.  

Still, all these long past, never recorded, events help keep us obsessives off the streets.  study  scratch  geek
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Thank you.  Yes the Nursey Rhyme figures are dearly sought after by many collectors, hence their value has risen.  Unfortunately I am missing the boxed Old Woman In The Shoe and Goldilocks and Three Bears but otherwise we have all of them.

Interesting regarding the pig.  I show an extract from a Segal catalogue which makes me think that maybe the mould was a Segal (without any branding) and then Crescent acquired it and added it to their production?

I know it is poor quality but the shape is fairly clear and it almost identical to the one I own.  Perhaps some of the pigs you have, without the branding, are Segal pigs?  What do you think?

What do you think about the Kangaroo mentioned in my previous post also?
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:01 pm

First, the kangaroo. I've found an old photo with it on, to the left.
Note its large size, the Segal zoo animals didn't even to try to keep to a constant scale, and the unusual upswept tail:

I see what you mean, seeing the Segal catalogue photo, which I hadn't seen before.
You may be right about Crescent buying the pig mould, particularly considering the sitting sheep, a figure which I had to double check today. There are two very similar sitting sheep, one with head slightly turned to the left, which is definitely Segal, and one facing straight ahead, which is definitely Crescent (in lots of their boxed sets), but from what you're saying about the pig in mind, this might also have originally been a Segal mould. I see you have two sitting sheep, but can't see clearly which ones (one of each?). Could you check please.  
Then we have to consider the pigs in detail. Assuming it started as an unmarked Segal mould, which Crescent modified by adding 'made in England', but when? There are several paint styles, some all pink (various shades), some with brush painted black spots, and some with spray painted black spots. So did Crescent add the made in England later, after initially using it unmarked? Or were there several moulds?
I've become aware over the years of researching old lead figures that there must have been lots of moulds of some figures, and the same item crops up in several countries, and moulds may also have been sold to home casters in the 1920s (a popular 'business venture' for the unemployed in the Great Depression), notably the kneeling firing rifle Indian in war bonnet, sold by Crescent and many others in the UK & US. It is known that Crescent bought moulds in a lot from other sources, presumably because it was cheaper than employing designers and specialists to make new moulds. Hey, they were toys!  jocolor
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm

I hadn't realised that this post now ran over to two pages.  I was waiting for you to reply when you had, silly me!
Thanks for sharing the photo of the Kangaroo.  I would love to get hold of another one.
I have two sitting sheep which I believe to be Segal toys.  See photos as follows:

The catalogue isn't too clear, see as follows:

This mould business is very confusing.  I have come across the same issue with the cowboys and indians which have clearly been reproduced by other manufacturers.  The only way of telling them apart is the paint colours use.  Segal used certain colours and those who bought the moulds adopted their own.  You are totally right, this can drive us all mad.  However, to the trained eye, the shapes of the figures and the paints can be picked out to be unmistakenly Segal!  It is also worth remembering that Segal figures are all hollowcast.  If they are solid then they are reproductions.
I would love to know where these moulds, which have caused us so much difficultly, are now!
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Ollie,
Any chance of posting whole pages of your old catalogue here please?  bounce 
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi Dave, I am sorry but I am not sure I feel comfortable at doing that. If there is anything specific you want to check then please let me know!
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:18 pm

My main interest would be any items not photographed in Norman Joplin's big yellow book, such as the farm series tree, large tree, feeding trough and fence.
Back to top Go down
Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Hello, some great animals in these series. I love the old more toy like animals from that era.
It would be lovely if you would consider sharing just a text list of the animals listed in your catalog and if they have company item numbers. At the Toyanimal.info Wiki we are working toward having as complete and accurate information about all makers as we can. Images can be provided by collectors of items they own at a future time. We tend to put lists on the main company page and then detailed information on the pages for each animal. An example created using my American Metal Toys collection can be seen at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Our existing Segal page is very limited and anything we can add to it would be great [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks for the consideration.

Back to top Go down
http://schleich.animobil.info
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Hello, some great animals in these series. I love the old more toy like animals from that era.
It would be lovely if you would consider sharing just a text list of the animals listed in your catalog and if they have company item numbers. At the Toyanimal.info Wiki we are working toward having as complete and accurate information about all makers as we can. Images can be provided by collectors of items they own at a future time. We tend to put lists on the main company page and then detailed information on the pages for each animal. An example created using my American Metal Toys collection can be seen at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Our existing Segal page is very limited and anything we can add to it would be great [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thanks for the consideration.

For photos and listings (lots of lists!) you'd do well to buy a copy of Norman Joplin's 'The Great Book of Hollow-Cast Figures'. It is a huge book, and the paperback version is usually available cheap on eBay, Amazon, etc. The postage will probably cost more than the book price! First published in hardback in 1993, it is a little out of date in that some of the 'unknowns' are now known in the collecting community, and just a few mistakes, but on the whole is excellent, and will fill huge chunks of UK vintage animal info for the toyanimal wiki. Probably best to email Norman Joplin to ask permission before posting lots of his lists - he has a website, and now lives in the US.
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi Dave, apologies for the delay in responding.  Please find a picture from the catalogue of the tree.  it give a general outline of the figure.  Have you come across any?

Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:10 pm

No, never seen one. Thanks for that - I know what to look for now.

Photo is a bit fuzzy, but it seems the outline edge of the tree is much smoother and rounded than other similar lead flat trees, such as those by Britains, Crescent and JoHillCo, which have more leafy and twiggy outlines.

Any chance of a photo of the fence?
I guess lots of us vintage farm collectors have sections of unmarked, unidentified fence sections.
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi Dave, I have no idea what the fence looks like. It is not photographed in the catalogue. I suspect, unless a strung boxed farm set with a fence turns up, we may never know and will just have to speculate. Hopefully someone has a boxed set in their loft/barn which will turn up one day in our lifetimes!
In terms of the tree, I know someone who has one! I have invited him to join this forum so you can always ask him to see a photograph if you like? Hopefully he will add a post shortly.... I do not know if this is the large or small tree as we have nothing to compare this against but I imagine that they would both have the same characteristics.
Back to top Go down
Niki2811

Country/State : Europa

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Wow, that's are very old figurines, right ? I think, they are very, very nice!  Applause Applause 
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Cheetahfan wrote:
Wow, that's are very old figurines, right ? I think, they are very, very nice!  Applause Applause 

Right, they were made for just two short periods, 1938-40 and (interrupted by World War 2) 1947-51, by Phillip Segal (who died in 1951).

Olliesegal posting here is his grandson.
Back to top Go down
Niki2811

Country/State : Europa

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Thank you, Dave! This is very interesting!  study
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Cheetahfan wrote:
Thank you, Dave! This is very interesting!  study

Collecting vintage figures has that extra dimension of interest, learning about who made them, both company owners and sometimes freelance designers, so you can find figures made by different companies which look similar in style, because the same person designed both.

Also the complication, when trying to discover who made what (they don't all have a company underneath), that sometimes moulds were sold by one company to another - then it is down to trying to identify painting styles and colours to determine who owned the mould when a particular item in your collection was made.

Miniature antiques really.
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:21 pm

Two recently bought mounted western figures help demonstrate the connection regarding moulds between Segal and Crescent.

On the left, 2 Crescent. On the right, 2 Segal.
Note that leg positions of the horses have been switched to different sides, but otherwise they look very similar, to my mind all 4 moulds were designed by the same person, presumably Phillip Segal.

As far as I know, the two on the left were only sold by Crescent, and the use of metallic paint for the skin of the Indian was very much a Crescent thing, with all Segal Indians painted with brown skin like the one on the right. Therefore we must assume Mr Segal sold these moulds before producing them himself. Or did he make the moulds especially for Crescent? Or will examples of the 2 on the left turn up one day with a characteristic Segal style paint job?

I'll send a PM to Ollie, so he sees this, and maybe has some comments.
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Interesting,  looks that copies are not a modern thing:)

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Interesting,  looks that copies are not a modern thing:)

They're certainly not. Britains Ltd started making hollow cast lead toy soldiers in 1893, and suffered from competition of cheap copies of their figures almost from the start, many from ex-employees who set up small operations. UK copyright law was changed a bit in 1900, which made it easier for Britains to sue copiers, which they succeeded in doing twice in 1902, against Hanks Brothers and James Renvoize. Both copier companies continued in business at least until 1914, but they had to make their own original design moulds after 1902.

Of course, in the case of the Crescent and Segal mounted Cowboys and Indians it is probably not a case of unethical copying, but rather happily agreed sales of moulds from Segal to Crescent. The questions about them which remain are only about the date (while Phillip Segal was still in business? Or moulds sold by his family after he died in 1951?), and whether the two figures sold by Crescent, with Crescent style painting, were ever made, painted and sold by Segal first? If so, we are probably looking at very low numbers, perhaps just a modest test batch to check the moulds were OK.
Back to top Go down
olliesegal

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your post.  

I agree that the different manufacturers must have used the same person to do the moulds.  From what I know, Phillip didn't design the moulds himself.  He had a designer and perhaps this person also worked for Crescent?

For the mounted cowboy and native americans above, a distinctive difference is also the horses tail.

Where did you buy these?  The Segal native american looks in great condition.
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Crescent bought in most of their moulds too, often from other companies which were closing down.

I bought the two Crescent ones recently at one of the Shepton Mallet general antique fairs, from a very good specialist toy dealer, Bob Skinner, who regularly comes down to the S.M. antique fairs from somewhere way up north.
They were in a box of mostly Crescent lead cowboys and Indians which Bob sold to me cheap, partly because I'm a regular customer, and partly because Crescent isn't up-market enough for him.
He sells exceedingly good Shocked , and exceedingly expensive Shocked Shocked Shocked , vintage toys.

I can't remember where I bought the two Segal ones - it was several years ago. I think it was at one of the events at the Shepton Mallet Showground, antique fair, flea market or toy fair.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:16 am

Dave and Ollie, thanks once more for your very interesting imput! Very Happy I really enjoy reading about these stories of vintage companies, their connections and misteries. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:43 pm

Yes, thank you very much cheers

Cscshop2013

Country/State : Hampshire, England

PostSubject: Segal items   Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi
First time on forum. Interesting read above.
I think I might have some Segal items. Am I correct?
Regards
Back to top Go down
widukind

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi
Regards
Welcome here :)

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Many thanks.
Nick
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi
Regards

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I see 5 Segal items in your photo, 2 Indians lying firing rifles, 2 cowboys standing firing rifles, and the mounted soldier at the back.

I'm intrigued by your figure of little girl holding baby/doll near the front of the photo - never seen that before & no idea who made it. scratch
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi
Many thanks for confirming those.
My friend said the 5 green soldiers, 2 guards are in The Great book of Hollow Cast figures by N.Joplin. Also the little girl carrying a baby is supposedly part of a fairy tale set, the one that contains the Shoe House. Do you think that's right? Waiting to see them in his book...
Regards
Nick
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi
Many thanks for confirming those.
My friend said the 5 green soldiers, 2 guards are in The Great book of Hollow Cast figures by N.Joplin. Also the little girl carrying a baby is supposedly part of a fairy tale set, the one that contains the Shoe House. Do you think that's right? Waiting to see them in his book...
Regards
Nick

I've checked the Joplin books ('yellow' and 'blue' books), and yes, you're correct about those - all Segal.

This just leaves the 2 cowboys firing pistols - which are Crescent.
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi
Many thanks for that.
Regarding animals, did Segal have any makers marks or any identification on his animals?
Regards
Nick
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi, Cscshop, and wellcome here Very Happy

Imagine that you have an old lead model that Dave has never seen before Shocked

Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi
Is that good?
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:06 pm

I'm pretty good at identifying vintage UK figures, so anything I don't immediately identify (doesn't mean I have them, just that I usually know of them) is probably pretty rare.

No identifying marks of Segal items - you just have to go by the cartoony style.
As you've no doubt already read in this thread, there is the added complication of moulds being bought/sold/copied/etc. scratch
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi
Many thanks for the info.
My favourite items are motorbikes by Britains, John Hill Co and by Fry.
I don't have a big collection by any means I keep the best and sell the rest.
I see that the forum has a selling area. Will probably make use of that at some point.
Have recently put a couple of my collections on eBay as I have a shop there. Like most things it started as a hobby and went in that direction last year. They are of the Cameron Highlanders. If you want to check it out my store is called cscshop2013.
Finding good reference books is hard when you are starting out. As I say I have only been doing it for a year. Do you have any suggestions. My friend has the yellow Joplin book which I have borrowed for the week along with The Great Book of Britains. Both I like. Also have personally the A Rose book ACollectors Guide to Toy Soldiers.
Regards
Nick
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:22 pm

My policy on reference books is to buy all of them!
For starters you need all of the main books by Joplin & his pals:
Joplin 'Yellow'
Joplin 'Green' (non military Britains lead, which includes wild west)
Joplin 'Blue' (non military other UK makers lead)
If you collect/deal in them, also Joplin US Dimestore (cover different shade of green)

I have spare copies of a few other books I could sell. I'll get them out of the box they're in.

Do you collect/deal in plastics too? If so, you'll need all the 'Specials' published by Plastic Warrior magazine.
And the 5 books about Britains plastic by Barney Brown and/or Peter Cole.
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:59 pm

Hi
Many thanks.
Just been on Amazon and ordered Joplin Green, Richards book and J.Ruddle books plus one other. The later three cost a few pounds in total. The Joplin one more expensive.
Let me know which ones you have for sale and prices.
Have just posted on the non animal thread.
Regards
Nick
Back to top Go down
Cscshop2013

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Dave do you know who made this item? Regards

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer   

Back to top Go down

Phillip Segal - minor vintage UK manufacturer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next