Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 
 

 White dust on Schleich animals?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Geospiza fortis



Country/State : United States
Age : 19
Joined : 2013-01-12
Posts : 424

PostSubject: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:28 am

I have just bought a seal from a second hand store today and It has some white, dustlike, residue around the eyes and down all the other little 'cracks'. A female elephant, camel foal, and lion also have this problem. Does anyone else have this problem? I am really curious about how to get rid of this stuff. Could someone please tell me how please if anyone knows?  scratch 
Back to top Go down
Takama



Country/State : USA
Age : 24
Joined : 2012-07-12
Posts : 1595

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:24 am

Hmmm Strange, scratch 

I was at a Walmart one time, and there was A whole lot of White stuff on a few of there figures. Could it be the same I wonder?

Also, I bought a Schleich Dinosaur and it had some white spots on it too that did not appear to be part of the figure, yet they wont come off with a simple washing.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28248

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:31 am

Yes ! I know it ! And it is almost impossible to get off  silent 

But I never saw it on new models ! Schleich should be told. It seems they could have a problem here  Shocked 

_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Menphis



Country/State : spain
Age : 52
Joined : 2011-09-22
Posts : 190

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 am

Hello
I believe it's a normal degradation of plastic with Atmosphear. I wash my guys one time per month with soft soap in a bit hot water.Wink
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28248

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Hello
I believe it's a normal degradation of plastic with Atmosphear. I wash my guys one time per month with soft soap in a bit hot water.Wink

I think not  scratch 

My models do not get washed, and usually this does not happen, not even to the very old ones.

An example here :
The dog to the left is much the oldest :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

 Rolling Eyes 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Bloodrayne



Country/State : Netherlands
Age : 47
Joined : 2012-12-14
Posts : 1269

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Oh wow Susanne!  affraid 
Did this happen over time or was the dog like this when you purchased it?

_________________
Simone  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Carola



Country/State : Denmark
Age : 30
Joined : 2012-12-13
Posts : 2536

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:28 pm

I know it sounds desgusting, but could it be some kind of fungus growth?

I once had some action figures stored in a cellar, and a day I took them out in daylight, some of the rubbery material parts of them were covered in something that looks exactly like that Susanne show on the dog.. I threw them out... quite a shame.. bye Agent 47 and Sephiroth...  Sad 

_________________
~ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ~
Back to top Go down
http://www.carolafunder.dk
LeeAnn
Moderator


Country/State : United States
Joined : 2013-01-20
Posts : 9946

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:49 pm

affraid affraid I've never seen this before!  Shocked Shocked 

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  LeeAnn  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  /  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  /  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Geospiza fortis



Country/State : United States
Age : 19
Joined : 2013-01-12
Posts : 424

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Yes, that is exactly it! I don't think its degradation of the plastic, as the outermost layer is still intact. I also realized that in my case, only the models made around 2006 or 8 have that stuff on it. None of my really old or really new animals have the dust.I tried to remove it from my seal with a toothpick, and so far that is working, but I need one with a fine tip as the one I'm using now is square. Water seems to do little to make it easier to remove.
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne



Country/State : Netherlands
Age : 47
Joined : 2012-12-14
Posts : 1269

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:54 pm

I did some Googling and apparently it is the plasticizer coming to the surface. study 
Don't know what that means, but it can be fixed with heat.
Apparently if you hold your figures under a bright lamp for 20 to 30 minutes the warmth of the light should remove the frost.
You can also use a blow dryer.

Who is willing to experiment?  geek 

_________________
Simone  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-09-30
Posts : 28248

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:05 pm

I got him this way from Ebay, thinking it was a colour variation.
At that time I did not know the "Clairet-sickness" which is infectuous, so this dog has been in a box with lots of others for years, and it does not infect, fortunately  pale 

Geospiza fortis : I think you are right. The few I have seen are from that time.
That is also why I am so surprised that it has appeared in a shop with new models  scratch 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I did some Googling and apparently it is the plasticizer coming to the surface. study 
Don't know what that means, but it can be fixed with heat.
Apparently if you hold your figures under a bright lamp for 20 to 30 minutes the warmth of the light should remove the frost.
You can also use a blow dryer.

Who is willing to experiment?  geek 

I think I will try ! I used to have a squirrel with the same problem. I will try on him, if I can find the little fellow Wink

_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Menphis



Country/State : spain
Age : 52
Joined : 2011-09-22
Posts : 190

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:02 pm

You'll think, I'm crazy but I use hair spray with my animals. You can use it and tell me about that.

_________________
Encontraremos un camino...... y si no lo crearemos
Back to top Go down
widukind



Country/State : Germany
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-12-30
Posts : 23618

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
You'll think, I'm crazy but I use hair spray with my animals. You can use it and tell me about that.

Welcome back  sunny 

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Menphis



Country/State : spain
Age : 52
Joined : 2011-09-22
Posts : 190

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:45 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
You'll think, I'm crazy but I use hair spray with my animals. You can use it and tell me about that.

Welcome back  sunny 

Thank youuuu lol! 

_________________
Encontraremos un camino...... y si no lo crearemos
Back to top Go down
stef1000



Country/State : Haaksbergen, Netherlands
Age : 16
Joined : 2013-02-20
Posts : 92

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:23 pm

I have never had white stuff on my schleich animals. So I don't know what it is. scratch 


Stef
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound



Country/State : USA
Age : 20
Joined : 2012-06-16
Posts : 4174

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I got him this way from Ebay, thinking it was a colour variation.
At that time I did not know the "Clairet-sickness" which is infectuous, so this dog has been in a box with lots of others for years, and it does not infect, fortunately  pale 

Geospiza fortis : I think you are right. The few I have seen are from that time.
That is also why I am so surprised that it has appeared in a shop with new models  scratch 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I did some Googling and apparently it is the plasticizer coming to the surface. study 
Don't know what that means, but it can be fixed with heat.
Apparently if you hold your figures under a bright lamp for 20 to 30 minutes the warmth of the light should remove the frost.
You can also use a blow dryer.

Who is willing to experiment?  geek 

I think I will try ! I used to have a squirrel with the same problem. I will try on him, if I can find the little fellow Wink
Good luck, to me this is frightening. I've had figures come to me that were played with in a hot tub and the soap scum was never properly washed off, therefore making it extremely hard to get it to come off. But in this case I don't think its the same thing.... Hope this problem can be figured out!  Smile 

_________________
-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
SyLoBe



Country/State : Spain
Age : 29
Joined : 2010-12-13
Posts : 2714

PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:40 pm

Didn´t know about this problem... So thank you for opening this topic...

_________________
Visit my collection gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: White dust on Schleich animals?   Today at 6:55 am

Back to top Go down
 
White dust on Schleich animals?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Gaschers Collectors Guide to Schleich Animals
» old Schleich animals from the 50´s and 60´s !!!!
» my new 2013 schleich animals
» SCHLEICH 13016 Fake or variant???
» Schleich classic: My findings from the weekend

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Schleich-
Jump to: