Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do you NOT collect.

Go down 
+28
schleich61
cattlecollector
Kristie
Silver Unicornis
scot(t)
Miss Jane
koniminiatures
Geospiza fortis
Elros Alvar
SpiralStrix
Kikimalou
Tove
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
Carola
Sumo
persefone
sauroid
ulinuk
Chris Sweetman
JonasV
widukind
LeeAnn
jarda
DaveScriv
Ana
A-J
NightLioness
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 4:10 pm

I don't collect a bunch of things. I do not collect farm animals anymore, however I make an exception when the animal is not exclusively a domestic one, like peacocks. I also, although they are still farm animals, don't collect domestic horses. Wild ones are fine with me. Fantasy figures and mini Japanese ones are also off my list, and I have no Bullyland.
Back to top Go down
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 4:52 pm

I haven't set any rules for my collecting and just collect figurines that please me regardless of scale, make or material - however, I've found I'm not at all drawn to big cats (though I find them gorgeous as animals and many of the models we have of them top-notch) or most very young puppies/foals/calves/cubs, etc. Fantasy figurines also hold no appeal to me, nor do most human models (anatomical and, well, military perhaps aside). So, not many restrictions here - financial ones mostly. Rolling Eyes 

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 4:59 pm

koniminiatures wrote:
So, not many restrictions here - financial ones mostly. Rolling Eyes 

You have a point there. A lot of times that's what it comes down to.  Rolling Eyes 

Miss Jane

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 7:52 am

I find it's exactly that - for financial reasons that I do not collect what I want to. If it wasup to me, I'd have cabinets full of wild animals, but it's probably a good thing I do not.

Besides, it might become like Night at the Museum sometimes...  Wink 

That aside, I would not collect, erm, probably horses. I love them, and love repainting them, and I would collect real ones, but my theory is with horses that there are SO many brands that make them you can never collect them all. And that would be terrible. So I'm not going to start. I do like a very limited few horses, and own/collect them, only if I like the figure.

Snakes, bugs, fish... and so on. I am not a fan of creepie crawlies.

Cute sitting puppies. Okay, so I own some, but you never see an end to these in cheap stores and warehouses. Usually they are poorly sculpted and painted and overdo the cute eyes and adoring face look. Ah, no.

Real puppies... on the other hand.... yes, I happily collect those.  Smile  Smile  Wink  Razz
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 6:11 am

Kikimalou wrote:
I don't collect figures with tags.

Even less easy: I don't collect banknotes alas  Laughing 

Ha! I like both of these answers Christophe!

Elros Alvar wrote:
I don't collect Prehistoric animal figures, they are so good, but I can't start with another collection 

This is a very wise policy. I had the same policy until about a year ago and I can tell you that when I made an exception and started acquiring a lovely dinosaur here and there, all hell broke loose and now I'm penniless. Resist!

Miss Jane wrote:

Snakes, bugs, fish... and so on. I am not a fan of creepie crawlies.

I like snakes, but I agree about the Bugs. Blech!

What I do not collect (not an exhaustive list): Insects, Fantasy figures (although I love some of those dragons), humans, Domestic cats (I actually have a couple and even one I really like and I'm planning on getting at least one Papo 2014 Cat; but in general, no little cats), Prehistoric Mammals, Fish, Jellyfish, Superpintos or pricey Schleich Beagles (but not because I don't like them).
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:52 am

I have to say I find the number of members who say they don't collect 'humans'/'people' a bit strange. Just to clarify what I mean here, I'm not referring to those who collect animal figures generally not collecting whole ranges, such as soldiers, knights, whatever (no one can collect everything) made by their main brands, but specifically those who do collect farm or zoo/wild animal ranges by their chosen manufacturers, but specifically don't collect the usually relatively few farm people and/or zoo keepers in those ranges.
This seems to be a new phenomenon, as I've never encountered a collector of vintage figures who made such as distinction. Collectors of, say Britains farm and zoo ranges collect the whole ranges, which in the case of the of the old lead farm range included some non farming village people, such as the clergyman and his rare curate assistant.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 9:10 am

DaveScriv wrote:
I have to say I find the number of members who say they don't collect 'humans'/'people' a bit strange. Just to clarify what I mean here, I'm not referring to those who collect animal figures generally not collecting whole ranges, such as soldiers, knights, whatever (no one can collect everything) made by their main brands, but specifically those who do collect farm or zoo/wild animal ranges by their chosen manufacturers, but specifically don't collect the usually relatively few farm people and/or zoo keepers in those ranges.
This seems to be a new phenomenon, as I've never encountered a collector of vintage figures who made such as distinction. Collectors of, say Britains farm and zoo ranges collect the whole ranges, which in the case of the of lead farm range included some non farming village people, such as the clergyman and his rare curate assistant.

About people figures, few days ago I bought very cheaply (80cents) quite nice Schleich human figure and he stand on my shelf now, but he looks so strange and lonely among all those tigers, snow leopard, tapirs and monkeys  Laughing I don't know what would I do with more human figures, I should probably build shelter for them, otherwise they look so unprotected  Laughing

Very Happy
I think, collecting whole range of one company, or let's say wild life line (sometimes called zoo lines but I prefer to think these are wild animals and they do not need zookeepers)  of one company is only one of many options how can we collect figures. Many collectors, including me, do not need to complete any line of any brands. The main job in this wouldn't be finishing any line but select the most appealing animal figures from all known, and available brands. So, for many of us, the thing isn't to hunt last part from certain line but look around if I see something nice enough to enter the collection. Some people will have other rules, for example one animal figure per species and then "hunt" as many species as possible.  Very Happy   Probably such ways of collecting aren't popular among vintage figures collectors?

In case of farm line, I think it's usually nice to have some human figures but also probably not necessary. For me sometimes, the display with, for example, cattle breeds figures collection may be something comparable to illustrated books about cattle breeds, then the shelf or cabinet is in fact just like 3D illustration for such book Very Happy  And, often, in such books people usually don't appear or are shown only to scale.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 2:59 pm

I try to stay away from non-equine models, mainly due to financial and spacial issues Wink But recently I've decided to include some of such models into my collection, mainly farm animals and pets - but equines will remain my no 1 priority collecting-wise.

I avoid human figures as such, but some of them might become useful for various Photo Shows - I treat them more as accessories Wink

Other than that, I don't have any "do nots" in my collecting, I think Very Happy

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
I have to say I find the number of members who say they don't collect 'humans'/'people' a bit strange….specifically those who do collect farm or zoo/wild animal ranges by their chosen manufacturers, but specifically don't collect the usually relatively few farm people and/or zoo keepers in those ranges.

This seems to be a new phenomenon, as I've never encountered a collector of vintage figures who made such as distinction.

This is interesting. It seems foreign to me to collect human figures. (Not weird, just not my style.) When I began collecting, I actually found it to be surprising that many of the companies I like even produce human figures that are meant to go along with the animals (e.g. farmers, zoo keepers, or hunters). To me, it is a more forceful reminder that the figures are meant to be toys. That doesn't bother me of course, but I don't collect the animals as toys (things to be played with), nor do I collect for the purpose of setting up dioramas -- something I know that many collectors whom I respect a lot are keen on.

For me, however, the ideal setting for a collected animal is the figure just sitting there, static and very still, on its own. I find miniature representations of animal forms very aesthetically pleasing. (Representations of human forms are also aesthetically pleasing of course, but in an entirely different way for me, and not one that is captured very nicely by the human figures I see produced by Britains, or Schleich, or Papo, for example.)
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 9:41 pm

scot(t) wrote:
I find miniature representations of animal forms very aesthetically pleasing. (Representations of human forms are also aesthetically pleasing of course, but in an entirely different way for me, and not one that is captured very nicely by the human figures I see produced by Britains for example.)

If you're thinking of recent/current Britains farm people, I'm inclined to agree - they're not good.
However, some of the old lead farm people, and all of their early plastic farm people (1955-63) were excellent - real characters (of their time, obviously).

And yes, they were intended to be toys for kids, and some adults even back then, to make farm scenes, and as you may have seen in the Britains section in the vintage section, the wild animal figures were very much 'Zoo Animals', specifically London Zoo, and in the case of the Indian Rhino, one animal in particular.

I can see why younger collectors would likely have a different attitude regarding wild animals, zoos being more controversial that was once the case, but I'm still not seeing why current farm animal collectors wouldn't also have farm people. After all, farm animal domestic breeds are entirely man made, and have only ever existed within their context with people.

As I'm also one of THE leading experts on the history of chicken breeds, they at least are one type of farm livestock where I can say this with considerable certainty, and in many cases can give you the dates and names of the people who made each breed.
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 10:10 pm

in the case of my farm/domestic animal figures, i might branch out into fences, cages, pens etc for them. but still no people figures. Very Happy 
(i dont like humans in toy forms. thats why i never collected superhero/related action figures)
Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 04, 2014 10:18 pm

No SMURFS?   Awww.   While I don't have any Smurfs either, I was rather excited to see Peanuts (Snoopy) on the pricelist for Fall!  (sadly they show no photos)   My husband and I actually do have some Snoopy stuff...mostly Christmas tree ornaments.  But yes, Snoopy Schleichs are exciting!

I no longer collect horses.   Go figure.  Wink
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 am

I don't collect fantasy, horses, prehistoric, sealife, and people. Sometimes I get one of these as a gift, but I don't go out of my way to find them.

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it is going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming. (One of my favorite archery quotes)
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 am

Kristie wrote:
While I don't have any Smurfs either, I was rather excited to see Peanuts (Snoopy) on the pricelist for Fall!  (sadly they show no photos)   My husband and I actually do have some Snoopy stuff...mostly Christmas tree ornaments.  But yes, Snoopy Schleichs are exciting!

I hate to get off topic, but do you have any info on the new Schleich Peanuts line? All I know is Numaan's photos.  scratch

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 am

DaveScriv wrote:
This seems to be a new phenomenon, as I've never encountered a collector of vintage figures who made such as distinction. Collectors of, say Britains farm and zoo ranges collect the whole ranges, which in the case of the of the old lead farm range included some non farming village people, such as the clergyman and his rare curate assistant.

Dave, I love collecting human figurines associated with animal figurine lines.  Since I'm a Scheich and Starlux brand collector (with a few exceptions), this means collecting (or attempting to) not only the Schleich farmer/farmwife, zookeeper, etc., but also the fremdserien stuff from ARI (14077 and other specialties which can be seen in the section link below):

http://www.tiewe.de/hkMenschen.html

Some of the figurines in that section of the Strassberger site are among the rarest Schleich figurines, and there are at least four more which are not listed at all.

I think Preiser has made many, many fantastic human figurines, but they are very small in scale.  ELC human figurines are also quite well done, IMHO... cheers 

At the end of day, collectors collect what they want to, and the reasons for these choices may be grounded in conscious thought, or even in emotional/psychological dimensions...
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 5:05 am

DaveScriv wrote:
I'm still not seeing why current farm animal collectors wouldn't also have farm people. After all, farm animal domestic breeds are entirely man made, and have only ever existed within their context with people.

The relevance of the fact that certain animals are man made is lost on me. If a collector is not interested in owning figures of cattle, I take that to a matter of taste. And although I have a special affection for models of cattle, I don't marvel at the disinterest of others for exactly the reason I don't marvel at my wife's disinterest in vanilla ice cream. It just doesn't appeal to her.

Phil's concluding remarks (below) sum up the point nicely I think.

schleich61 wrote:
At the end of day, collectors collect what they want to, and the reasons for these choices may be grounded in conscious thought, or even in emotional/psychological dimensions...
Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:50 am

Animal_Figures_4U wrote:

I hate to get off topic, but do you have any info on the new Schleich Peanuts line? All I know is Numaan's photos.  scratch

No, I only saw them listed on the order sheet at work for fall. I think it was September. There were listings for individual figures and also a Halloween and Christmas set. :)

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:35 am

DaveScriv wrote:

Before I began to collect nowadays animal toys, I was a "vintage only" animal toys collector. I never collected anything from a brand and my collection range is WILDLIFE since its birth. What do I mean with wildlife? Everything far from civilisation so no zoo, no farm and nearly no humans on my shelves. I never collected trees but I guess I could.  Wink 

I have nothing against zoos or farms but only the "jungle" feeds my dreams. so maybe some "natives people" could tempted me.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:34 am

I do 'collect' human figures, but only the one that I really like.
The faces of people can attract me, or scare me away. Most anatomy is good in human figures, only the faces can be really, really of. I have some from Schleich, but I think I could buy some from other brands...

Trees! Yes, I have those. My cabined is self made, and it had to fit my trees in it XD
Most of them are in the forest area, although this area is expanding so much, that I have to move the trees on top of the cabined (behind my sea mammals lol)

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 pm

scot(t) wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:
I'm still not seeing why current farm animal collectors wouldn't also have farm people. After all, farm animal domestic breeds are entirely man made, and have only ever existed within their context with people.

The relevance of the fact that certain animals are man made is lost on me. If a collector is not interested in owning figures of cattle, I take that to a matter of taste. And although I have a special affection for models of cattle, I don't marvel at the disinterest of others for exactly the reason I don't marvel at my wife's disinterest in vanilla ice cream. It just doesn't appeal to her.

Phil's concluding remarks (below) sum up the point nicely I think.

schleich61 wrote:

Scott, I love cattle figurines, as well.  One thing I can say for Schleich is that it does cattle better than just about anything else in its
lines.  Even today, most of the cattle figurines are nicely conceived... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
krista

krista

Country/State : finland

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 2:32 pm

scot(t) wrote:

Elros Alvar wrote:
I don't collect Prehistoric animal figures, they are so good, but I can't start with another collection 

This is a very wise policy. I had the same policy until about a year ago and I can tell you that when I made an exception and started acquiring a lovely dinosaur here and there, all hell broke loose and now I'm penniless. Resist!

The same happened to me when I started to collect modern animals :D

Actually, nowadays I don't even specify what I'm not collecting, if I like it, I buy it.

But mainly I'm not very interested in (as figures! The real animals interest me very much!) marine animals, amphibians, modern reptiles and invertebrae.

Also, I'm not very into history or fantasy figures, but the newer Bayala ones are really tempting..

Snardi

Snardi

Country/State : Sweden

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 pm

I only collect horses, but I would like to collect other animals as well. I collect several other things beside animal figures though, so I don't have much space (or money) to collect anything else right now.

shadoweon

Country/State : Virginia,United States

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 8:53 pm

I don't collect fantasy figures,prehistoric figures (more recent extinct animals like the Thylacine I may make an exception to.) or most domestic animals except for dogs.

Except for wolves I tend to only get one family of figures/figure per species. I am picky about ones that have crooked looking eyes and stuff like that.

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 11:33 am

I'm not really as interested in the fantasy figures, but then, I am a total animal mad person so I go for wildlife and pets though I'm currently focusing on schleich African animals at the moment. When I go to the shop I always analyse every animal of its kind (I'm very picky) to see its uniqueness and which that I like best.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Schleighgirl wrote:
I'm not really as interested in the fantasy figures, but then, I am a total animal mad person so I go for wildlife and pets though I'm currently focusing on schleich African animals at the moment. When I go to the shop I always analyse every animal of its kind (I'm very picky) to see its uniqueness and which that I like best.

I know you collect mainly Schleich, but being you from New Zealand, a country with a fantastic fauna, don't you collect those Animals of Australia from Science & Nature? They feature some animals from that region. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: What do you NOT collect.   What do you NOT collect. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you NOT collect.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collector's life-
Jump to: