Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains horses

Go down 
+9
Kikimalou
Ana
Roger
Taos
SUSANNE
LeeAnn
widukind
DaveScriv
Chris Sweetman
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Britains horses - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Thank you Dave for the comparison images of the various versions of ‘skinny’ and the vehicles they pulled.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Ana wrote:
I've just found this topic now! Thank you for all the photos Chris, Dave, Taylor and Susanne! Very interesting figures! Suffolk is especially nicely sculpted and amazingly (also surprisingly)  in lead she came in proper bay colour with black legs. Very Happy Shire is also very lovely and I think it would be so nice to see few more photos of this figure, please  Very Happy 
I like also the fact these figures came in many colours, skinny one (which I think is probably Hack type?) looks especially nice in palomino Very Happy  cheers
Interesting to see the "skinny horse" much taller than Suffolk. From what I've read Suffolk Punch horses are tall  (65 to 70 inches, 165 to 178 cm).  study 
Thank you for nice comparison shots Chris!   Smile

You are welcome Anna and regarding the Shire Horse your wish is my command  Very Happy 

Britains horses - Page 2 12057710983_60271fe2ab_c
Britains Shire Horse 1 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Britains horses - Page 2 12057420655_3dbddf2f60_c
Britains Shire Horse 3 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Britains horses - Page 2 12057420915_4f77ff97dc_c
Britains Shire Horse 2 by Chris*4, on Flickr

This model was designed by George Ford. Model illustrated is in brown with black mane, tail and feathers. Issued in 1970 and I am sure that it is still in production albeit now in China. Example in the location images has the following inscription on the belly area:

BRITAINS LTD ©️ 1970 ENGLAND

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:43 pm

This is enormously interesting! Thank you for sharing Dave! Very Happy Also amazing collection! I believe this special bigger horse must be rare  Applause 

Funny, this skinny horse in original, smaller version looks not so skinny, actually Very Happy

Also it seems toy horses with carriages were more popular those times, now such sets are not very common (at least in bigger modern toy brands)  study

And thank you very much Chris! The Shire looks majestic! It's lovely figure and you took great photos! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:57 pm

Yes, there were a lot of vintage horse drawn carts, ploughs and other vehicles & agricultural implements. I have several, which I'll get round to posting here eventually, but I don't have many compared to the number which were made, even just in the UK.

It would be possible to make a pretty huge collection, enough to fill several display cabinets, just of vintage horse drawn items. If someone was to include a collection of similar items made in Germany, France, and other European countries, they could fill a whole private museum room, and would need to be extremely wealthy to buy them.

Sad 
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Ana wrote:
And thank you very much Chris! The Shire looks majestic! It's lovely figure and you took great photos! Very Happy 

Thank you Anna and here is a bonus picture:
Britains horses - Page 2 12038436885_d024429e2c_c
The bigger picture! by Chris*4, on Flickr
Me in action taking a picture of the Shire horse. Photo courtesy of my wife Jane  Very Happy 

BTW I saw a horse drawn coal dray being used for local deliveries in the early 1970’s in Nottingham, England.

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:36 pm

OH, Shire is just wonderful, strong and imposing  as it is supposed with that breed. :cheers:Wonderful pictures too, specially bonus! Laughing
Though, not wanting to contradict me, the compact looking and apparently short legs, makes it look more like a Clydesdale, doesn't it? geekVery Happy
Britains horses - Page 2 Clydesdale-horses-4
Britains horses - Page 2 12057420915_4f77ff97dc_c

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 pm

Thanks for the comparison image Rogério. Now I am not sure which one is the real one and which is the toy!  Very Happy 

Glad you liked the ‘bonus’ image - this was my wife’s idea. As you can see it was such a wonderful day.

Now regarding - Is the Britains a Shire or a Clydesdale? I will leave this question to the horse experts - Lea and Susanne!  Very Happy 

Me - I am just a collector of toy animals!  Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Thanks for the comparison image Rogério. Now I am not sure which one is the real one and which is the toy!  Very Happy 

Glad you liked the ‘bonus’ image - this was my wife’s idea. As you can see it was such a wonderful day.

Now regarding - Is the Britains a Shire or a Clydesdale? I will leave this question to the horse experts - Lea and Susanne!  Very Happy 

lol!lol!
Chris, don't take me so seriously, I am not even a collector of horses, only a crazy curious that tries to learn something with all these expert ladies. Clydes and Shires are not so different horses, some companies even use the same molds to represent both breeds. To me it looks slightly more like a Clydesdale but if Britains described it as a Shire, so obviously it is a Shire. :DHonestly, I can see easily a Shire in Britains sculpt and I cannot see it in some famous modern representations. albinoflowerWinkcheers
As I told you in another occasion, it is fantastic that your wife share these moments enjoying toys with you, doesn't surprise me how wonderful are your days. sunnycheers

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 9:19 am

Very Happy  Chris, it's very nice to see photo of you taking these great photos! What a lovely day, and lots of fun. Also, perfect scenery for Shire horse!   Applause 

Roger, I think you are right-these breeds are usually difficult to distinguish. Despite Shire are bigger and come in less variable colours - only grey, bay and black are accepted, while in Clydesdales you can find horses in these colours  but also chestnut and sometimes ( quite often) with sabino markings or/and roan. Typical  Shire seems to me also a bit heavier type and Clydesdale a bit more slender with longer legs in proportion to body, but it's really hard to tell, from some photos you would say exactly conversely…  study  

Roger wrote:
Honestly, I can see easily a Shire in Britains sculpt and I cannot see it in some famous modern representations.

Yes, many of modern brand Shires do not look like this breed. I wish to see more figures with as accurate shapes and proportions as Britains model    Applause

DaveScriv wrote:
Yes, there were a lot of vintage horse drawn carts, ploughs and other vehicles & agricultural implements. I have several, which I'll get round to posting here eventually, but I don't have many compared to the number which were made, even just in the UK.

That's interesting subject. I'm sure your collection is very nice and with many items I've never seen. It would be wonderful to see photos of them, here on forum, one day when you have time for that Very Happy

Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 9:40 am

Us vintage figure collectors usually stick to the names for figures given by the manufacturers, even when they were wrong.

The Shire above was Britains 2nd plastic Shire. If Chris doesn't post photos of their 1st plastic Shire (1955-65), I'll do so eventually, but I need to do some new, closer photos.

Britains also made what they called a 'Clydesdale' in brown or white plastic, which is the horse in the opening photos of the 'Britains Tumbrel Cart' thread. I'm going to do new photos for this thread too, with some much older examples showing various colour carts and lead and older type plastic horses.

They also made a splendid heavy 'Draught Horse', breed not specified, 1961-71, which either me or Chris will also eventually post here.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 6:05 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
Us vintage figure collectors usually stick to the names for figures given by the manufacturers, even when they were wrong.

Ahah, I didn't say the original name was wrong  Wink  I just said that Roger was right about these breeds being difficult to distinguish sometimes. However, i think this Britians figure suits Shire breed very well.  Very Happy

DaveScriv wrote:
The Shire above was Britains 2nd plastic Shire. If Chris doesn't post photos of their 1st plastic Shire (1955-65), I'll do so eventually, but I need to do some new, closer photos.

Britains also made what they called a 'Clydesdale' in brown or white plastic, which is the horse in the opening photos of the 'Britains Tumbrel Cart' thread. I'm going to do new photos for this thread too, with some much older examples showing various colour carts and lead and older type plastic horses.

They also made a splendid heavy 'Draught Horse', breed not specified, 1961-71, which either me or Chris will also eventually post here.

I'm sure all of those figures are worth to show here and it will be great to look at them! It's very interesting! I think especially for people (like me) who are not very familiar with Britains farm range   Very Happy

Thank you Chris and Dave for sharing your knowledge (and photos) about these figures  Applause

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Shire or Clydesdale, this is a beautiful model  Very Happy 

And a great and instructive topic  Applause 
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Ana, thanks for your imput about both breeds, actually, your contribution supports more that this mold looks like a Shire than like a Clydesdale although the picture I added of a Clyde fits nicely to the Britains figure. When I see pictures, honestly, Clydes look having shorter and not longer legs but it also depends of the specific horse we are watching. They are really similar although their genetic heritage is different.
Breyer G2 1:32 stablemate Clydesdale, similarly sized with this one, is used to represent Clydes and Shires, so it is probably pretentious from me to want to distighuish both breeds in such small sized figures. Very Happy
There is not a single reason to say that the figure is not a Shire so brand and collectors can call it Shire once it is correct.
Honestly, Dave or Chris, I would love to see these other Britains horse figures, other versions of the Shire, the Clyde, the draught and every horse possible. I enjoy a lot how they are sculpted, Maybe their outdated manufacturing is not appealing to other collectors but they could be completely unpainted that I would love them anyway. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm sure that between me and Chris, we'll post photos of all Britains farm range horses and donkeys (not going into military horses, in this thread at least) over the coming month or so.

Then we'll gradually work through cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, dogs, cats, poultry, rabbits, the fox hunting (lead) and riding school/show jumping (plastic) sets, and the garden ranges, all in lead and plastic.

Well, it keeps us off the streets.  drunken 
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Roger wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

lol!lol!
Chris, don't take me so seriously, I am not even a collector of horses, only a crazy curious that tries to learn something with all these expert ladies. Clydes and Shires are not so different horses, some companies even use the same molds to represent both breeds. To me it looks slightly more like a Clydesdale but if Britains described it as a Shire, so obviously it is a Shire. :DHonestly, I can see easily a Shire in Britains sculpt and I cannot see it in some famous modern representations. albinoflowerWinkcheers
As I told you in another occasion, it is fantastic that your wife share these moments enjoying toys with you, doesn't surprise me how wonderful are your days. sunnycheers

Hi Roger

My comments are what we call in Britain “tongue in cheek”!  Very Happy 
They were never meant to be taken seriously.
I too find it interesting to discuss the breed of this horse and others in the Britains range and input from other collectors is certainly welcomed.

Whilst I took images of the horse on location, my wife also took along one of her Ball Jointed Dolls and she also took pictures. As you say it is wonderful to be able to share a passion for collecting .... and photography.  Very Happy

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:01 am

Thanks Christophe, Anna and Roger for your comments and contributions.  Very Happy 

Always a pleasure to share information.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:09 am

DaveScriv wrote:

Dave - at present I don’t have an example of the Herald Shire but I might find one this Sunday as I am off to the Donington Toy Fair. I do have a copy of the ‘Cydlesdale’ in brown and what a neat model it is too. Also I have the white version of the ‘Draught Horse’ complete with rider figure.

DaveScriv wrote:
I'm sure that between me and Chris, we'll post photos of all Britains farm range horses and donkeys (not going into military horses, in this thread at least) over the coming month or so.

Then we'll gradually work through cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, dogs, cats, poultry, rabbits, the fox hunting (lead) and riding school/show jumping (plastic) sets, and the garden ranges, all in lead and plastic.

Well, it keeps us off the streets.  drunken 

I do have other post 1970 Britains horses. These were bought for my daughter when she was young but she preferred Lego Duplo and later Playmobil animals. Therefore, these Britains Horses remained in mint condition.

A show of all Britains animals was an idea I had for STS and welcome your help in this matter.

As you say it will certainly keep us out of trouble!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:30 am

Wow, what a beautiful Draft Horse  cyclops drunken Sculpting looks magnificant!

JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Very nice horses Smile Actually I like the most the unrealistic "skinny horses"! many thanks on great pics!

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. I love you
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Carola wrote:
Wow, what a beautiful Draft Horse  cyclops drunken Sculpting looks magnificant!

Thanks Carola  Very Happy  - just shows what a manufacturer can do in the realism stakes with an animal figure costing about a £1 when new.

jonesee wrote:
Very nice horses Smile Actually I like the most the unrealistic "skinny horses"! many thanks on great pics!

Thank you Jonas  Very Happy - the main reason for me getting these Tri-ang “skinny horses” is to complete the Britains collection but I have grown to love them.

DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 8:20 am

Some more Britains horse drawn vehicles:

Farm Waggon 5F Early version box, probably before 1930

Britains horses - Page 2 <a href=Britains horses - Page 2 12185575374_b09467e2fb" />

Horse Rake 8F, also probably pre 1930 box

Britains horses - Page 2 <a href=Britains horses - Page 2 12185772946_6e40109507" />

Horse Rake 8F, 1950s box

[img]Britains horses - Page 2 12185582644_ea3ef05145[/img]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 9:29 am

Wow, wonderful sets! So detailed, especially wagon and rakes, and horses are so lovely Very Happy
Thank you for sharing Dave!  Applause 

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:15 am

OMG ! They are so beautyful it could bring tears to my eyes  Sad cheers 

Those were the days  drunken 

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Really wonderful, Dave! Very Happy

mreyder

Country/State : Holland

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:44 pm

More horse-vehicles:
Britains horses - Page 2 Z48JkCD
Britains horses - Page 2 YkfrzC4

And also a rare horse is this one:
Britains horses - Page 2 GBOYoBp
Not only is this horse rare because of the color, but this horse has only 3 legs: his left hindleg is missing: is is not brokenoff or cut-off: something went wrong in the mold. Not only in my horse, but i have seen another exactly like this also. I THINK a small batch of horses just was not produced right and a few (or maybe all) were used and sold....

I have much more fotos of my Britains-animals, but i am a bit hesitant to show them here: i did before and people who use Google Chrome as a browser have some problems with my pics; apparently they get a warning from Google that my site (where my photos are) contains a virus: only Google Chrome gives this warning, i think it is because of a piece of scripting i use. So: if a lot of members use Chrome and will have problems, i will delete these photos and stop putting photos here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bokkerijdersburcht.nl/britains
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Britains horses   Britains horses - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains horses
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next