Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama

Go down 
+4
Kikimalou
HKHollinstone
Philter4
Berlinzoo954
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

Country/State : Miami, FL

New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama Empty
PostSubject: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:05 am

The following items were all custom created for Phil's African Diorama in 1:22 scale, they are all on their way, and will be displayed in his diorama very soon

A 1:22 Baobab tree
A 1:22 Yellow Acasia tree
and a set of Thorn bushes with foliage, including one very large scene with over 50 bushes on it.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 2:31 am

I can not wait, the acacia is deffinitly going to be up there with my favorites. I love the baobab tree as well, but it is so big I have to find a different place for it. I wanted to put it in the same place as the Schleich baobab, but there is no way it will fit. that is ok, I have lots of space on the other side of the rock pool, and there are no big trees on the extension, so I may put it there, I'll put it in different places and get some photos, that way I can get a good look, as well as take any suggestions that all of you can give.

I have been waiting for the thorn bushes ever since I heard about the dead brush scene. On the right of the scene there is a stand of dead thorn bush stems, and I got the idea of some live bushes. they are going over in the scrub forest area, in front of the cape buffalo. When they arrive I will get some great photos, I'll put the animals out, in fact the weather is changing so I could start to leave the sculptures out. During the winter, when day temps were in the 40's and 50's, it would drop to the low 20's at night and I was afraid they would crack, so I never let them stay out on the dio. Even though it did snow today, the temps aren't getting too low so I think I could leave them out. We will see, I may wait a few more weeks.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:18 am

Hi Phil,
I'm really looking foward to seeing what you do with them, i know already you have a very extensive collection of model plants and trees, plus your grass flats that already were great, i think that the future of the diorama is an incredible one, i can already picture a lot of the scultures i have send your way in different areas of the diorama, and your grass planted allover the place, it will be something truly beautifull for any miniature enthusiast.
Let me share a couple of ideas with you, that you probably already have taken note off, since i know you are a very observative person, and like to study and research dioramas just like me. The Baobab is really big, for those that are reading this, Phil had wanted a 1:22 baobab to replace the Schleich one, i got from him that he wanted the biggest possible baobab that could be done given his specifications, and i passed the information to the artist that makes the scultures, the result was a full 1:22 baobab tree, by museum standars this baobab will be a mature specimen right in middle of the African savanna in a 1:22 scale, most dioramas scaled down in landscape, trees are allways bigger than what we like to think they are when putting a scale diorama together, and it is really not practical for a lot of diorama makers to make a tree true to nature in scale with the branches, trunk and everything else, so they scale down, most other things are in scale like people, structures and vehicles.
But since a big part, or at least half of Phil's African Diorama is not trains/structures i think the landscape is what will bring it to life, and let me tell you Phil, the few dioramas that i have seen with trees in full scale, are mind blowing, once you have a tree in a model diorama with the size that it should have it brings a level of realism that is really rarely achieved especially in such a large scale like yours, there is not many dioramas outhere with a baobab this size, in that your model will be unique.

As far as the cracking in the figures, i'm not sure of Ana's methods but as long as the figures are treated with heat, once the final mold has been configured, there should not be any cracking of any kind going on, most conventional ovens are not practical to do this, but there is plenty of places that will charge a very small fee to use theirs, mostly art schools, restaurants, etc, there is also an actual hand held device for this, i forget the name that can be used with natural gas to heat up the scultures, and there is allways shellac the cheapest but allways reliable way of making sure that the scultures do not crack in humidity/extreme cold weather.

Another point that i missed with the baobab, and this i found out early on when i was working on my 1:12 zoo diorama, with the large trees is actually great since they go high and allow for all the space under it to be used for the diorama, with the smaller trees that is impossible to do, after i realised this i understood that all of the trees in my diorama would have to be big specimens, since i needed as much room as possible for the model, that is why i can't use many of the 1:22 scale trees that i have already in collection, even though some are really special, i have to make as much space available as possible, in an ideal world, i could have a room space to work with no lesser than 2000 square feet, but this just impossible at the moment, even though rents of warehouse space have come down so much in my area that you can rent an even bigger space for around 250 usd a month, but i need to have the diorama close by, and if there is a robbery in the place there goes a lifetime of investments and work.
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 5:27 am

Thanks for the tips Danny, I have to tell you that none of the figures have ever cracked, it is just I am paranoid about damaging them. In reality it is probably worse for me to be moving them around everytime I want to go out there, I could easily drop the box on the walk and break legs or horns, but I just want them to be cared for so I keep them inside while the weather changes so drastically during a 24 hour period.

I have already picked a place for the baobab, and I will have some other plants and rockwork up to the trunk. I have seen pics of the trees, and in a place by my home called Hollywood Circle there are two of them, big ones, and they are truely impressive trees. They do look a little funny, in fact the native name for them means upside down tree, bucause if you look at the tree with no leaves it looks like the roots are sticking up and the foliage is underground. I am going to love the diorama once these trees are on it, not that I don't love it now, but they will only enhance the whole diorama.
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 am

They're fabulous! The Baobab tree and Yellow Acacia are beautiful. I love the birds on the thorn bush scene, what are they? It's really lovely, can't wait to see them all on Phil's Diorama.
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Philter4

Philter4

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 12:12 pm

[Quote = "HKHollinstone"] They're fabulous! The baobab tree and Yellow Acacia are beautiful. I love the birds on the thorn bush scene, what are they? It's really lovely, can not wait to see them all on Phil's diorama. [/ Quote]

Hk, those are Helmeted Guinea fowl, it is a great bird, I have tried to make them myself, I did ok on the sculpture, but I suck at painting, so the paint job is not very good, I took some pics, here is one, like I said, there are several problems with the paint job, I'll keep trying,
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Ah, I was going to say Guinea Fowl, but wasn't sure. Yours are good Phil! The painting is nice.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 pm

Fantastic trees and bushes ! Those models are incredible.

I'm sure you are right Danny, right scaled trees make a real difference Cool .

I remember a train diorama, the scene was about Madagascar and the great baobabs at the right scale were astounding. I thought then it would be great to have such trees for my animals. cheers

But not enough place, not enough money... drunken

One day maybe ? Nevertheless, thank you very much Danny and Phil to share such beauties with us Very Happy
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 4:07 am

Unbelievable tree models - simply gorgeous! I look forward to seeing them in person someday, Phil. By the way, are the guinea hens edible? If so, I know some really famous French-cuisine preparations for them... cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:46 am

schleich61 wrote:
Unbelievable tree models - simply gorgeous! I look forward to seeing them in person someday, Phil. By the way, are the guinea hens edible? If so, I know some really famous French-cuisine preparations for them... cat

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Thank you for all your comments guys, it is my pleasure to share this pics with you, and i know Phil appreciates your comments a lot as well.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:14 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Fantastic trees and bushes ! Those models are incredible.

I'm sure you are right Danny, right scaled trees make a real difference Cool .

I remember a train diorama, the scene was about Madagascar and the great baobabs at the right scale were astounding. I thought then it would be great to have such trees for my animals. cheers

But not enough place, not enough money... drunken

One day maybe ? Nevertheless, thank you very much Danny and Phil to share such beauties with us Very Happy

I retrieve the site where I saw beautiful trees and Madagascar baobabs. It's a French site but I hope you enjoy the pics Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Nice website Christophe, the baobab's shown in the website are baobab species, the artist that makes the trees/plants for my zoo model has done both, African mainland species and Madagascar species.
The pic i'm including is from an old catalog that i helped him create of trees and plants he done for my model, this one is the same species as in the french website, the scale i saw in the website was o and ho scale for the baobab, this one is in 1:12 scale and has a total height of 48" inches tall.

There is 8 species of baobab, only one species in mainland Africa, (the one that Phil ordered) this particular African species has become the center piece as you probably might know of many European/North American zoos and animal theme parks, since it is just magestic and a symbol of Africa.
Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Some pics of the Baobab's (mainland African species) created for Disney's Animal Kingdom's epic African safari, when i think of Phil's model diorama, i allways remember this safari, since i have gone on their ride so many times, and each time i see something new, it is by far the most realistic African safari recreation outside of Native Africa.[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:08 pm

The madagascar species is very different, but a beauty as well, i might not include this tree in the final zoo model, since the space for this big models is very limited, but i will include my model in one of the many glass shelves with natural diorama scenes that will hang from the walls sorrounding the zoo.

Last edited by Berlinzoo954 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Awsome pics Danny, I can't wait to see some of your zoo when the time comes to set it up, but until then pics of individual pieces are just as nice.

I love the Madagascar baobab, when I get to the lemur dio, I'm going to have to have one made, it will be the only big tree in the diorama, but what a tree!!!

Thanks for all of the photos and ideas, but a quick question, is the tree in the first photo a model that you already have? Or is that a model for example?
Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:50 pm

It is a model for example Phil, but the one i have looks exactly identical, you would never know the difference unless i told you they were two different trees.
I think that madagascar baobab species in the middle of a mini madagascar diorama is iconic, and that is exactly what i want as well, wouldn't it be cool yours in 1:22, and mine in 1:12 the same scene? another idea would be to add the dragon tree from Africa to Madagascar, since this tree is very common in madagascar, and if you notice, most zoo dioramas featuring lemurs (especially the modern zoo exhibits have dragon trees, and at least a picture of a baobab, notice Bronx's epic Madagascar Exihbit, when i first went to visit this exhibit i was blown away, and i knew then that i needed to do a fine 1:12 representation of the ecosystems in madagascar. A whole exhibit in the zoo would have been the perfect idea, but size limitations as you know, prevent me from such a thing, but it is still an idea i have to work with.

Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptySat May 01, 2010 12:04 am

That would be very cool, and when the time comes, that is exactly what I want, a 1:22 scale, full sized and full foliage tree for a diorama, I was thinking about a fossa hunting some black and white lemurs. A dragon tree would also be cool, isn't that one of the trees I am getting next? I would love the tree to be in both dioramas, as I really like the tree, and this would be like yours, something to put into my glass case as one of the shelves. I am hoping to find a big case, each shelf lighted and at least 6 shelves, on one would be the madagascar scene, on another an arctic (or maybe antarctic) scene with both above and below the ice. For arctic, I would have polar bears, seals and maybe a norwhale, or beluga. For antarctic it would be penguins and leopard seals. As for the other 4 shelves who knows, I think at least one African desert so I can have oryx, and one Chinese so I can show some really unusual mammals that there are no models of, but I'm open to suggestions at this point.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptySat May 01, 2010 6:44 am

Wonderful tree Danny, could you share a pic of your tree with an animal or human figurine ?

I imagine how big it is but ometimes a good pic enhance one's dream and mind. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptySat May 01, 2010 6:49 am

If I have enough place and time, that's the kind of displays I would build to show my animals. drunken I love you
Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptySun May 02, 2010 8:03 pm

The Madagascar Baobab is a real giant, i would love to set up a mini display for you to see how big it is, but most of the large items i have already for the zoo model, are well packed in two different locations, the house i live in, and a family house that has a pretty large garage, it is not the ideal situation, but for now i will have to do, since for the past 10 years i have gotten a lot of things that have no place in the zoo model, and even though i have sold or given away many of them, i still need to clear many boxes, the Schleich collection of thousands of models/trees/buildings takes a very large area of the spare room i have here in the house, but that will change soon. And hopefully i can start sharing more pics of some of the items that will take part in the zoo.

At times with something very large i have had to wait until making room to be able to get it, it has become a problem with over 400 boxes in this two locations, if it was up to me i would just move all the furniture out and have the house full of boxes What a Face
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptySun May 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Berlinzoo954 wrote:
The madagascar species is very different, but a beauty as well, i might not include this tree in the final zoo model, since the space for this big models is very limited, but i will include my model in one of the many glass shelves with natural diorama scenes that will hang from the walls sorrounding the zoo.

These trees are absolutely incredible.
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptySun May 02, 2010 9:41 pm

I would love to see some of them in real life!And some wild bushes in madagascar,with lemurs and chameleons...
monkey monkey monkey
Back to top Go down
http://www.mihneanicolae.com
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyTue May 04, 2010 2:16 am

Really really great stuff!
Beautifull sculpted trees, even the real ones, haha. Wink

aandmkw

Country/State : Gardendale, TX

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama EmptyWed May 05, 2010 3:30 am

Thanks for sharing the photos. Now we only have to wait until Phil gets them so we can see how awesome they look on his dioramas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama   New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama Empty

Back to top Go down

New Landscape items making their way to Phil's African Diorama
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next