Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?

Go down 
+4
widukind
JonasV
LeeAnn
Valinor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Valinor

Country/State : the Netherlands

variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? Empty
PostSubject: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 pm

We recently got a second piece of the old paint variant of giraffe 14028. Both have been produced in Portugal, one from mal 1 and one from mal 2 resulting in differences in length of upperlip (see last photo) and height of the models. But that is not our dilemma.

When comparing the two models, we noticed differences in colour of the markings, but we are not sure if they are common production differences due to them being handpainted, or real variants in colour of the markings as to be seen in the catalogue photos over the years that model has been in production.

Does anybody recognize these differences in his/her old variant of this model? Which one(s) do you have?
Model 1: black knees & inside ears & horns, reddish (lighter) mane, head somewhat more pink than the body
Model 2: grey knees & inside ears & horns, brownish (darker) mane

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

notice the colours of the knee markings:

notice the colours of the inside ears and the horns:

notice the colours of the mane:

this shows the diffences in length of upperlip, due the mal (?):
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Very interesting find! cheers Congrats! I do not have this figure, unfortunately. Very Happy

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Animal_Figures_4U wrote:
Very interesting find! :cheers:Congrats! I do not have this figure, unfortunately. Very Happy

Same here!! What a charming beauty! Smile Laughing 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Valinor

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:31 pm

do you have both these, too?
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Valinor wrote:
do you have both these, too?

I don't have them, like 4U said, unfortunately Neutral Sad 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Nice catch for you!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 6:20 pm

I suspect that Toy Animal Wiki can help you. You can find there some variations from Susanne's collection. flower
Try to check here and here! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 7:01 pm

The one in the wiki is the one with the grey horns and ears.

If that's one owned by Susanne, then maybe she can enlighten us on the colour of the knee markings on that particular giraffe?

In ours, the knees of the one with the grey horns and ears are grey too, yet the mane is darker than that of the giraffe with the black horns etc.
Back to top Go down
stecal

stecal

Country/State : dorset england

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:54 pm

hi here are my variations and of the bull 14099
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorsquest.com/collections/by/stecal
Valinor

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Your lighter "old" 14028 (middle one in your first 2 pictures) is the same as our light one with the grey markings, so that's probably not coincidence or bleaching of the black, as we contemplated it might be  Razz 

Funny is, that this model 14028 started out as a male, and as of 1994 it became a female  drunken 

Great that you have what we think is the earliest variant of the later model bull 14099 (in your bottom 2 pictures)!   Applause  We are still looking for that one, but haven't been so lucky as to find it yet.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Valinor wrote:

Funny is, that this model 14028 started out as a male, and as of 1994 it became a female  drunken 
yet.

That's an interesting detail once it is actually a female. Maybe Schleich noticed the mistake and changed it. Very Happy
1994 was when last Classics were discontinued and Schleich started working in a more serious way making dogs in 1:12 scale and dinosaurs in 1:32 scale. study :)

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Roger wrote:
Valinor wrote:

yet.

That's an interesting detail once it is actually a female. Maybe Schleich noticed the mistake and changed it. Very Happy
1994 was when last Classics were discontinued and Schleich started working in a more serious way making dogs in 1:12 scale and dinosaurs in 1:32 scale. study:)

Roger, the Classics sub-range 12901-12908 were introduced in 1996 and retired in 1997... study Smile 
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 6:55 pm

schleich61 wrote:
Roger wrote:
Valinor wrote:

yet.

1994 was when last Classics were discontinued and Schleich started working in a more serious way making dogs in 1:12 scale and dinosaurs in 1:32 scale. study:)

Roger, the Classics sub-range 12901-12908 were introduced in 1996 and retired in 1997... study Smile 

scratch scratch As far as I am informed, 12901-12908 does not belong to the Classics, but to "die Kleinen", ( mistakenly ?) translated to "Cute Creatures"  Very Happy 

schleich61

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 7:16 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
schleich61 wrote:
Roger wrote:
Valinor wrote:

yet.

scratch scratch 0]]As far as I am informed, 12901-12908 does not belong to the Classics, but to "die Kleinen", ( mistakenly ?) translated to "Cute Creatures[/b]"  Very Happy 

Yes, Susanne, I agree that they are 'die kleinen' figurines, but I was under the impression that those are considered a sub-range
of the overall Classics line. Both the Hackstein and Strassberger reference websites list these as such:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Well, I do not insist. I only know from the Schleich catalogue '97  - and from Gascher's  Wink

They are nice, little models, but terribly poor quality rubber ..quite different from other models.

schleich61

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 7:36 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Well, I do not insist. I only know from the Schleich catalogue '97  - and from Gascher's  Wink

They are nice, little models, but terribly poor quality rubber ..quite different from other models.

Well, if it's in Gascher's as such, it simply must be true...(you knew that was coming!)... Wink Smile Actually, I'm
not sure what the facts are here; for all I know, you and Frank O. may be correct. We could send a letter to
Mr. Norbert at Schleich, but he has proven to be a font of misinformation (disinformation?) in the past... scratch Wink 
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 pm

My perception, as a non traditional Schleich collector, is that the 96/97 die Cleinen series, are a kind of swan song of Classics era.
As Schleich at this time were more focused on realistic figures the probably released these to celebrate the end of a long era of Classics.
They share a similar design with previous Classics though I don't know how they look together and in real, so my judgement as little value. They also share the numbers starting in 12xxx with previous collections. Very Happy
So, although I don't say it in my previous comment, I share the way of seeing Classics collection with Phil! Very Happy

Original collection (1965-1991)

Later Classics (1991-1994)

Die Kleinen 1997

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 7:45 pm

I surrender completely  cheers

Are the rest of the "Cute Creatures" then also Classics ?  scratch 

Last edited by SUSANNE on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
schleich61

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Roger wrote:
My perception, as a non traditional Schleich collector, is that the 96/97 die Cleinen series, are a kind of swan song of Classics era.
As Schleich at this time were more focused on realistic figures the probably released these to celebrate the end of a long era of Classics.
They share a similar design with previous Classics though I don't know how they look together and in real, so my judgement as little value. They also share the numbers starting in 12xxx with previous collections. Very Happy
So, although I don't say it in my previous comment, I share the way of seeing Classics collection with Phil! Very Happy

I never thought of it that way, Roger, but it does seem quite plausible to me... Smile 
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 7:57 pm

I am glad I said something plausible when refering to Schleich! Laughing

SUSANNE wrote:

Which ones?? scratch ... Princess? tongue flower Laughing

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 7:57 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

When Roger and I agree, what other choice than surrender is there?... Laughing 
For our next magic trick, we will agree on the methodology and then use it to
reverse "global warming" Laughing 

As to the others, I don't know for sure. They don't have the 12xxx numbers
that all of the rest of the Classics have, so maybe they are not. Maybe Peter
or Jürgen, or even Torben or Mr. Strassberger can enlighten us... scratch study cheers 
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 12:30 am

schleich61 wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

Laughing Phil, our disagreements are "classics" and when we rarely agree, we are "Cute Creatures". It explains their contrasting longevity and why there's a gap between them. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 3:00 am

Roger wrote:
schleich61 wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

:lol:Phil, our disagreements are "classics" and when we rarely agree, we are "Cute Creatures".  It explains their contrasting longevity and why there's a gap between them. Laughing

If you and I are now beginning to resemble Schleich figurines, thank Heavens they are classics and not cartoon characters (or braided ponies)... Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?   variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028? Empty

Back to top Go down

variants in the old paint variant of giraffe 14028?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Schleich :: Schleich walkarounds and reviews-
Jump to: