Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions

Go down 
+9
animalluvr6
Shanti
MartinH
arafan
JonasV
Saarlooswolfhound
NightLioness
SUSANNE
orcagirl26
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
orcagirl26

Country/State : United States

Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions Empty
PostSubject: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 10:23 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Evil or Very Mad  pale  No  Mad 

I understand that when a new male lion enters a pride, they kill the cubs that aren't theirs. This too, I feel could have been avoided. It's not like Copehagen Zoo is the only zoo in the world that has lions, another zoo most likely would have taken them.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Do you know that the zoo, which made such a fuss about the giraffe, had 6 young, healthy males killed the same day ?

The zoos and animal parks do that all the time  Crying or Very sad 

NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Again? Seriously? A new male lion kills the cubs, yes. But it says, two lions AND their cubs...
So two lionesses and their cubs where killed??

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Do you know that the zoo, which made such a fuss about the giraffe, had 6 young, healthy males killed the same day ?

The zoos and animal parks do that all the time  Crying or Very sad 

No, I actually didn't know that. I don't understand why zoos do this, as long as the animal is healthy there should be no reason to put it down. If it's because they don't want to risk inbreeding, they can always not put the related animals together in the exhibit or perhaps trade animals with another zoo.

NightLioness wrote:
Again? Seriously? A new male lion kills the cubs, yes. But it says, two lions AND their cubs...

Yes, two lionesses and cubs were killed. I don't see why the lionesses had to be killed also, I don't think the male would have killed them too  scratch 
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyTue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 pm

The two lionesses were killed due to older age to make room for "the new generation" as an article I read put it. This is again a tragedy, and I don't understand why they would cull perfectly healthy animals where I am sure there would be at least ONE place they could go...  Crying or Very sad 

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 12:44 pm

This is so unbelievable!

I can't understand why zoos keeps lions in little cages cause they're not rare. They can live happily in the wild.
Anyway, who #"€€%&& dare kill cubs!?? Maybe they could move them to another zoo??

It has been proven once again- people are idiots.

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 pm

NightLioness wrote:

Orcagirl wrote:
Yes, two lionesses and cubs were killed. I don't see why the lionesses had to be killed also, I don't think the male would have killed them too  scratch 

No, a male lion doesn't kill the lionesses. He wants to mate with them, not killing them. They could fight till death, because even if the the ex leader male lion is gone, the lionesses still fight for their cubs. Most of the time they loose, because they just have to have a big male in the pride to protect them and to mate for the next gen.

So I don't understand why. Even if the lionesses are older, they are still members of the pride and can even help with the cubs when they are old enough to get outside... The zoo is to pride of their own bred cubs (who are now old enough to breed with the new male) that they eliminate all others (it looks that way OMHO)

And where is the male that used to be in the pride??
(male lion in the photo with giraffe meat..)

arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyWed Mar 26, 2014 1:51 pm

jonesee wrote:

I can't understand why zoos keeps lions in little cages cause they're not rare. They can live happily in the wild.
Anyway, who #"€€%&& dare kill cubs!?? Maybe they could move them to another zoo??
I'm not sure if I would be happy in the nature where I maybe only can get one time in the week something to eat.
Lion males really kill foreign cubs, and I don't really know what is better a fast dead from the vets or that a other male kill them. It would be great if a other zoo would take care of them but the most zoos have their own lions. But it would be better if this zoo would put a implantate to the animal that the females can't get cubs for a time, how other zoos do it.
But I think it would be better that this zoo give the others to other zoos and take a subspecies and don't anymore this zoo-lion mix.

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 am

Seriously... I have no words  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad This institution shlould be shut down !

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
arafan

arafan

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 1:10 pm

MartinH wrote:
Seriously... I have no words  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad This institution shlould be shut down !
I think that is a bad idea, if animals don't find a other home they also need to be killed. So I think is a better idea to fire the director and put a new one who do a better job.

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 5:08 pm

MartinH wrote:

I agree with you. We don't go around killing older humans simply because they're old. Prides are made of members of all ages, I saw something on TV recently where a lioness had a broken jaw that didn't heal properly and all the other members helped her to eat. That proves that they don't kill a pride member just because they're old or have a disability. So what's going to happen when this male gets old? Would they kill him and any young cubs that he fathered to make room for a newer male?  Suspect Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 5:41 pm

I never liked zoo's anyway. It is nice as an educational purpose for children and some zoo's even rescued a species (like Przewalski horses) but somehow visiting a zoo depressed me. Maybe now I know why….  Crying or Very sad No 
Back to top Go down
animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 4:19 pm

I have no words for this. Completely heartless to kill 4 perfectly healthy lions including cubs. There were zoos willing to take the giraffe they euthanized but they refused. I'm very sure there would be other zoos willing to take these lions in. I hope this is stopped soon.  Evil or Very Mad 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 pm

this is one of the reasons why zoos should be phased out or abolished once and for all. their methods, ethics, etc. are just too twisted. wild animals should be protected in the wild, not in enclosures where they are subject to the mercy and warped judgment of their keepers. im not generalising that all zoos are bad, but most are just too horrible.
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 10:58 pm

From what I can tell, this is a larger zoo. Most zoos around me are small, and the animals are well taken care of because the keeper has less things to worry about. He can focus on specific animals better.

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it is going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming. (One of my favorite archery quotes)
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 3:38 am

Shanti wrote:
I never liked zoo's anyway. It is nice as an educational purpose for children and some zoo's even rescued a species (like Przewalski horses) but somehow visiting a zoo depressed me. Maybe now I know why….  Crying or Very sad No 

I TOTALLY AGREE!!1

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 1:08 pm

The director of czech ZOO PRAGUE send an open letter to EAZA and all directors of zoos who are members of this association... Zoo Dvur Kralove in Czech Republic was looking for lions and contact Copenhagen "Zoo" twice without answer.

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptySun May 25, 2014 12:16 am

MartinH wrote:
The director of czech ZOO PRAGUE send an open letter to EAZA and all directors of zoos who are members of this association... Zoo Dvur Kralove in Czech Republic was looking for lions and contact Copenhagen "Zoo" twice without answer.

So clearly Copenhagen Zoo had other alternatives and ideas. Ignorance isn't bliss!  confused No Mad Evil or Very Mad Sad Crying or Very sad pale silent

Check this out!

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
NightLioness
NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptySun May 25, 2014 11:19 am

NEW: Zoo group says 3,000 to 5,000 zoo animals, from tadpoles to lions, are killed each year.
My goodness, if this is true, that is just horrible!

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyTue May 27, 2014 10:02 pm

That's just really crazy  Shocked I thought zoos were for conservation and research... Mad Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyTue May 27, 2014 11:46 pm

orcagirl26 wrote:
That's just really crazy  Shocked I thought zoos were for conservation and research... Mad Rolling Eyes 
apparently not.  Mad 

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
QuollMate

QuollMate

Country/State : Denver, Colorado & Prescott, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyWed May 28, 2014 4:15 am

NightLioness wrote:
NEW: Zoo group says 3,000 to 5,000 zoo animals, from tadpoles to lions, are killed each year.
My goodness, if this is true, that is just horrible!

If zoos can't handle slight over populating or a few extra animals, then maybe they should keep better track of what they do and don't need for their zoo, so they won't waste time or lives by catching a lion or zebra that's just gonna get slaughtered anyway.

My Instagrams:

Personal Page

Concorde Page

Collectibles Page
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/speedbird.concorde
orcagirl26

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyWed May 28, 2014 7:45 pm

I also think it has to do with over-breeding. Don't breed them simply to make money  Rolling Eyes 

Animals can be put on birth control (though recently, some lionesses became stertile after being on it for so long: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and if that isn't an option, don't house males and females together. I personally feel if a zoo doesn't have the space for a breeding program, then they shouldn't even attempt to have one.
Back to top Go down
arafan

arafan

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyWed May 28, 2014 10:12 pm

In my eyes a zoo also need to breed and kill their own animals, there they know how the animals lived.
And I never saw a zoo who makes a lot of money...

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions EmptyWed May 28, 2014 11:07 pm

arafan wrote:
In my eyes a zoo also need to breed and kill their own animals, there they know how the animals lived.
And I never saw a zoo who makes a lot of money...

What I meant by that is that some zoos are only in for breeding/conservation for the profit, as baby animals bring in crowds. Once the "cuteness" wears off, rather than keeping the baby for the future, they simply kill it only for the cycle to start over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions   Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions Empty

Back to top Go down

Danish zoo that killed giraffe puts down four lions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next