Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?

Go down 
+3
Roger
widukind
tqcenter2002
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

Country/State : Israel

Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? Empty
PostSubject: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi All,

I am interested in scaling of Colorata animals - Are they scaling correct with Safari Ltd. Schliech, PAPO and all other major brands.
I have seen the penguins set and I am wondering if they scale correctly with other penguins from major brands.

What is the right scale of penguins that need to meet 1:20 to 1:22 scaled large animals from major brands.
Are all 17-18 Spc. available on the market? The set from Colorata mentioned 13.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just thought it would be a good start to collect penguins for arctic with seals (not polar bears) - I would be happy to see them scaled with major brands penguins as well.
Do they have arctic bird beside penguins?

Is it only me - Or the Major brands Penguins beaks are dull and need to be sharpened
Where can I get Japanese figures online?
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 4:22 pm

This penguin set is one of the only set where i think they are compare with major brands. I will look if i have a penguin from a major brand for pics. It is more that the emporior penguin is more huge as the a major brand. The most other figurines in the other set are smaller.

Colorata animal set comes in boxes with all the figurines from the set. You can find the boxes on ebay

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks.
I would be happy to see comparison pictures with major brands.
Is this a complete set? meaning all penguins are there?
The Emperor is huge - does it is scaled with the others?

Is there an online shop that i can buy all Japanese brands from? (Not only on eBay)
US stores have Japanese brands?

Does ALL Colorata sets scaled with major brands?
Are there more birds sets from Colorata?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 5:12 pm

tqcenter2002 wrote:
Thanks.
I would be happy to see comparison pictures with major brands.
Is this a complete set? meaning all penguins are there?
The Emperor is huge - does it is scaled with the others?

Is there an online shop that i can buy all Japanese brands from? (Not only on eBay)
US stores have Japanese brands?

Does ALL Colorata sets scaled with major brands?
Are there more birds sets from Colorata?

Thanks,

Yes, it is a complete set. With the scale is very hard to say because i dont have a knowledge because it isnt interesting for me. I dont know a online shop, the only way that i know is ebay or a japanese online auction  Very Happy 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 6:13 pm

I know that picture is horrible but it illustrates what I want to say.
If you want penguins or other small sized animals in 1:20 scale, you have to find them in very small sizes and not those from major brands or even Colorata.
From left you have Safari Ltd Chinstrap penguin (copy of Colorata), Mojö Fun squal lady with baby, Safari Ltd emperor penguin and Science&Nature blue penguin.
Penguins are quite easy to determine their scale once they have a upright stance.
First the lady that will work as your reference.
It is a 1:20 scale human figure. It is 82 mm tall, so, multiplying it for 20, you have 164 cm. Exactly the average size of a North American woman.
Immediately you notice that all penguins are too large when compared with her.
Emperor penguins (3rd on picture), are the largest penguins of all species with a maximum height of 120 mm averaging 110 mm.
So we can conclude it is a 1:12 scale figure. To keep it in proportion with the lady you neede a figure between 5 and 6 cm, very small I should say.
Chinstraps penguins are usually 60 to 68 cm tall. That figure, when upright, is about 70 mm. So, you have here something around 1:9.5 scale. Too large for the lady and also when compared with the emperor. You needed a chinstrap penguin figure not taller than 34 mm. Shocked
The blue penguin is the smallest of all penguin species with an average height of 40 cm. Though they can measure between 35 and 50 cm. This one, from Science & Nature, is 52 mm tall. Let's take the maximum size as reference and again we have a 1:9.5 scale. It works nicely together with Chinstrap but it is too small when compared with all other figures here pictured. You needed a figure not taller than 25 mm to get it in correct scale.
Colorata penguins doesn't respect any scale, they are only in relative scale what means that they go from the larger to the smaller but without following correct proportions. Exactly as it happens with all other major brands. They work very well with other figures when we don't care with scales. This is the Colorata set that I wished more but it is very expensive to get. Though, if you can afford it and forget scales, I recomend it to you.
As a last note, companies cannot make very sharp parts on toy figures due to safety for children.

Safari chinstrap, Mojo squal with baby, Safari emperor and S&N blue penguin

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Thank you Roger! :)
That was really educational - I understand it better now.

scaling is to be with the respect of the diorama or the display that I want to present and I can't have them all scaling together with each other. But as I see in your picture that penguins are not scaling with each other as well. I don't want to be restricted to one brand when come to penguins and I would be happy to merge them together.

Does any of the Colorata penguins come to scale with major brands as a whole? The Emperor penguin from Schleich is a bit smaller then the PAPO's one.

I also want to get African penguin that will not be on the Arctic theme - does it scale correct with the others? from Colorata and from Schleich and Safari Ltd?

I know that in small animals and birds i should have a different scaling then 1:20 to 1:22 - what it should be?

It is a real challenge to get all with the right scale :)
Thanks
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Thankyou, Roger , for this very interesting and thorough ansver !!!! Applause 

Our dear Crocodile did what I think nobody here has done before, - taking the time to research and calculate, and describe it so even Yours Truely understand it  cheers cheers cheers 

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 7:08 pm

Schleich and Colorata cape penguins are almost the same size, Colorata is a bit larger but they go well together. Click on that picture and you'll be redirected to one of the excelent topics of this forum. Very Happy
I think it is enough that you use the 1:20 or 1:22 scale to figures replicating animals larger than lions and to smaller animals to not worry too much with scale and get those that you really enjoy under certain limits. Schleich emperor penguin is a repaint from their king penguin that is a smaller species, so even if you get figures inside of a brand, you won't get them scaled correctly.
@Susanne, thanks for your comment! flower

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks again Roger! I would not understand it without your assistance.  study  cheers  Applause 

I do love these cute little penguins and they are starting to scale a bit in the right direction.

I think that I might get me a little Schleich African penguin as well..Regarding the Emperor one - I just don't get it  No - Is it the same model as the King Penguin just with different painting? Does Schleich have an Emperor penguin at all? if that is the case the King and Emperor will be in the same size - right? So if I want to get the Emperor penguin it will NOT be from Schleich since it will not be bigger then all the others and that would ruin the scaling among the penguins that I want to get.

Yes, I agree with Susanne! Thank you very much Roger for your time and effort!!!  Applause Applause Applause 

If I understand - I can go with 1:10 (1:12) to 1:15 with small animals and they will go with the big animals tha scaled 1:20 to 1:22, Right?

Thank you!!!!
Back to top Go down
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 9:48 pm

And here are all 18 Penguins lined up for scaling :)
The King is almost 3/4 of the Emperor size!
Can we have all of them? :) they are so cute with their Happy Feet!!! Wink
You can Explore the Penguins HERE!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Awesome picture, Tq  cheers 

tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 am

Yes That picture helps a lot :)

Does someone know if these Penguins are in good scale and with good quality?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 am

I don't have them, but I am 99 % sure they are smaller  Very Happy 

tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks Susanne.
Smaller as in tube sized? The problem is that I am not sure if the pictures for each breed is scaled with the others. maybe they just put them there to fill up the picture space and they scale with each other.

I would be happy if someone have them and can post them.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 12:06 pm

They are smaller but have the same problems than the others, they are not in scale with each others. And they have a lower quality than Colorata.
Back to top Go down
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Thank you Christophe.
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 3:57 pm

... Colorata Raptors - a good scale for the wild big cats by Papo!  Wink Wink Wink 

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 5:11 pm

Wow!!! Magnificent Set of Raptors!!!! Looks Great!
Are they available on-line?
How many in this box?

Thank you Sergey.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 6:18 pm

Arye, I clearly recomend again Colorata penguins instead of those small sized from Safari. As Christophe said, the difference in quality is huge.
They look more expensive because we have to buy all 12 at once. Though, if you split the price for 12 it will result in a normal price. Very Happy
Don't forget Toy Animal Wiki whose link can be found on forum.
Here a list of Colorata penguins and here a list of Colorata raptors
Penguins are not pictured yet but you can find here a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I've found a picture of Colorata penguins together with a Schleich king penguin.
Here is the picture from Ana's collection. Very Happy

Schleich penguins is a long story.
In their wildlife series, they released in 1993 a figure called penguin, it seems they based it in a subadulte of an Emperor penguin but it is clearly a cartoonish figure.
In 1998 they replace it for a more realistic penguin, they call it king penguin but it mixes characteristics of both emperor and king.
In 2010 they release a new penguin, a real king penguin and quite decent in my opinion.
Though, under the Happy Feet fever, they launched a group of chicks that they call king penguins to fit with the adulte.
A little disaster once these chicks are without any doubts, chicks of emperor penguins. So, in 2010 we had in fact a good king penguin with adoptive emperor penguins chicks! geek
Schleich fixed it in 2011, giving a new painting to the king penguin and calling it an emperor penguin, joining another penguin with a chick that is indeed an emperor and changing the name of the chicks from king to emperors.
As a result, Schleich king and emperor penguins are the same size. but adultes of different species were never together in the same catalogue.

I enjoy the line up of size comparison of penguins you posted on forum. I think the best idea is to get Colorata penguins and try to find the few remaining species from other brands, as long as they look good together with the Colorata ones.
Don't worry to much with their size once you won't mix them with elephants and giraffes. Laughing

It is a pleasure to help you or any other member on forum and feel always confortable to ask, though, it is also good that you explore our forum, with a heritage of 4 years of excelent topics and also using Toy Animal Wiki. I am sure, if you manage them correctly, you'll find answers to half of your questions.
I can only give that long reply because unfortunately I have a lot of free time and you see that other members also give their free time to help each other but who will win with it is you. Very Happy

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Thank Roger!
It is always a pleasure reading your answers and I am learning even more then I expected! :)
The Colorata Penguins looks awesome!!!! and they probably be the best start-up set for building penguin collection.

I know that there are 12 in Colorata set and Ana's wonderful picture shows that they can mix with Schliech penguin wonderfully.
That is truly an amazing story about the Emperor penguin by Schliech and how the chicks came before the adult.. That answers the question "which came first the chicken or the egg?" Wink

These Penguins are great!!! and Ana's picture telling me that I should get these penguins and I will not regret it!!! Wow!! that is a GREAT Picture!!! and it looks like they are on ice! :) with their cute reflections. these happy feet are MUST have!

Where can I get them on-Line? (a part from eBay) - Are there Stores in USA the we can get Japanese brands figures from?

Thank you everyone for helping - I do appreciate it!!!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:36 pm

tqcenter2002 wrote:

Where can I get them on-Line? (a part from eBay) - Are there Stores in USA the we can get Japanese brands figures from?

Thank you everyone for helping - I do appreciate it!!!

Most Japanese brands are not sold in occidental markets because they don't match the safety standards of these markets. I am not the best person to help you in this matter once I don't buy them. Try to visit our section dedicated to Japanese companies, maybe you can find some sources there. I warrant you that it is easier to know that the egg was much before the chikens. Laughing

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:53 am

You've really got to shop on eBay for these colorata sets. I haven't found them elsewhere.

Colorata doesn't really observe any strict scale. The "Zoo" series and the Wild Animals series are not at all in scale with each other and with other sets of models (by major brands). Some of the figures in the Reptile set would be perfectly to scale with some models by major brands. (I think the Colorata Komodo dragon is the best available; and it's a perfect size.)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?   Does Colorata animals scales with major brands? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Colorata animals scales with major brands?
Page 1 of 1