Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale

Go down 
+2
scot(t)
tqcenter2002
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

Country/State : Israel

whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale Empty
PostSubject: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 17:38

Hi All,

As a continuance for my quest for the RIGHT elephant - that I have found it to be the WW Elephants versions from Safari [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
I have challenged myself to fine the RIGHT Blue whale.

This picture shows the scale aspect ratio of whales with human (Diver) and with each others.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I was looking to find the current Blue whales that are available in stores and I got OrcaGirl to answer me with the followings - thanks OrcaGirl

orcagirl26 wrote:
The only major brands that currently have a blue whale are CollectA, Safari Ltd. and Schleich. Out of the three, I believe the CollectA and Schleich one are the largest; I actually think that Schleich's is bigger than CollectA's but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check and get back to you on it.

I was looking for these figurines to see how I can build the Marine Life collections upon them. The correct key of scaled collection is to start with the largest member of the group in right size and build the collection in the same ratio.
Since I have already started my Land animals collection with 1:20 - 1:24 ratio I wanted to continue with the same ratio and one even close to this in my Marine Animals collection. BUT if I wanted to have a 1:20 Blue whale I would need to have a 1.5 m sized figurine :) and that is not practical.

Roger wrote:
..... if you wanted it in 1:20 scale, you needed a figure close to 1,5 meters and even if it was from a lighter rubber as Schleich blue whale, it could weigh more than 20 kg! Shocked ....

Therefore I thought that I might start with what I have in the market and continue building the collection according to the scale ratio of the largest figure I can find. OrcaGirl got the size of all the figurines in the market and the largest figure we can get right now was at the size of 27 cm.

orcagirl26 wrote:
Schleich's blue whale is the largest: 27 cm long by 10 cm wide by 4 cm high
Safari Ltd.'s blue whale is the second largest: 26.8 cm long by 10 cm wide by 4.5 cm high
CollectA's blue whale is 23 cm long by 8 cm high by 4 cm high
I can't figure out what scale that would be scratch ( if someone could help, that would be great  Very Happy ) I don't choose just one by their scale, rather I just collect them all  sunny

But If I wanted to start my collection with a 27 cm sized Blue Whale I would need to have all other member in the same scale and that would lead to a very small figures when approaching the smaller member of the family. The Blue Whale size is 30 meter long (avg) therefore it automatically set the 27 cm sized figure at the 1:100 - 1:110 scale ratio.

Roger wrote:
This is 1:100 scale, a very small scale. Im a simple example, a great white shark that is a huge fish, needed to be tube sized to fit correctly with these blue whales.

Thanks to Roger and OrcaGirl I have come with the understanding of what i should look for!  cheers  cheers 

So 1:100 is no good for starting a Marine Life Collection - I was checking several whales figurines in the market and I have found that there are some with 1:20 scale but also I have found that there are also 1:45 - 1:55 scaled Whales as well - and also with great details. Mostly I could find 1:100 - 1:110 scaled Whales.

Therefore if I wanted a 1:45 - 1:55 scaled Blue Whale I would need to have a figure sized 30m/55 - 30m/45 -> 54cm - 65cm in size - That is quite big BUT in a reasonable size - IMHO :)
No one in the market have a Blue Whale in that scale - I think that I have found ONE and in the right scale - ALSO I am sure that he/she is a member of this forum.
Here is the BLUE WHALE I ma talking about and I am almost 100% sure that it is BIG :)
Based on the picture - That shows a smartphone at 7cm width (if I am not mistaken) and the Whale size is approx 53cm.

I think that a 53 cm sized Blue Whale is a GOOD Start :) - But I hope to find it also in the major brands as well :) - not sure that this whale is available and also need to consider the size and weight of the figure once needed to be shipped overseas :)

Also I think that the ratio can vary from the largest members of the family to the smallest members of the family. That I can start with a 50-60 cm sized Blue Whale in a 1:55-1:50 ratio and continue to 1:50 - 1:45 with Orcas and large Whales and completing with 1:45 - 1:40 when approaching the dwarf sized members of the family - Don't you think!

We also need to mixed them with Dolphins that have a smaller sized body then the whales.
I know that 50 - 60 cm is large - can a smaller sized Blue whale start a GOOD collection?
Can the Right Blue whale be found? Where does she blows? Wink feeling a bit like Captain Ahab!

I would be happy to find a 50 - 60 cm sized Blue Whale that is NOT heavy and that I can start my Whale collection with. BUT that could be a start of a VERY expensive collection!!!
If someone can share whales in this scale and that are available in the market I would be happy to know and see if there is a way to start a collection in that scale?

Thank You!
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 17:56

I love that poster with the whales. I just wish there were a bigger version available so I could read (more easily) the names of every animal represented.

As for finding a Blue Whale (or nearly any large whale) that will be in the right scale to other sea life… I wish you good luck, but also think it would be wise to prepare for disappointment. I just don't think they're out there, short of an extremely expensive custom. But I look forward to hearing from others on this topic.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 17:57

Sorry, but i never know a blue whale model in this size. The only way where i think it is possible that you can find a resin model from a artist but a model from a brand i think dont exist

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 18:00

Here is a good whale in 1:45 scale.
Gray whales are 15 meter long and this figure is 34 cm in length - ratio is 1:44 (close) - Cost: 33 USD in one site that I have fount it.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 18:06

Yes, this model is made by Safari Ltd but there is no chance of a blue whale in the right size  Very Happy 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 18:09

Not from Major brands - Hope that some day they will.
have you seen this one here;
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
How big is it? I think close to 53 cm - Is that correct?
Based on the smartphone picture only.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 18:15

tqcenter2002 wrote:
Not from Major brands - Hope that some day they will.
have you seen this one here;
How big is it? I think close to 53 cm - Is that correct?
Based on the smartphone picture only.

I dont know this whale but this is what i mean with a resin model by a artist. I think that is resin  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
kudu11

kudu11

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 19:42

I think I found a figure that might be a mass produced figure, however I have very little information on it except it is 39cm. Here is a link to a few pictures of it.

I also found a very large figure in eBay (over 60cm),but it comes with a hefty price tag.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 20:05

This is VERY exiting  cheers 

What a fabulous poster, - I never really realized how enormous the blue whale is  Shocked Shocked 

Laughing Laughing Kudu11, - yes, that price tag is pretty scary  pale Laughing 

Well, the other solution would be to find a blue whale, and then search for the others in smaller scale ?  scratch 

tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyTue 22 Jul 2014, 21:12

Thanks Kudu - That is truly a Good one! Size over 60 cm (63 - 64 cm ~ 25", I think) that is 1:46 a bit large in scale for the largest member of the group BUT still good in size only :) The price is unbelievably high for a Whale mom and calf.

The first one looks good but a bit small in size I think - that would be 1:75 if I am not mistaken.
But I am glad that we got over the 27 barrier from Schliech :) Now we are at 39 cm for the largest Blue Whale we can get.

Is this scale popular among figurines? When I searched for the "Right Whale" I have found several scales but none of them where 1:75 - But I have not found this Blue whale as well - So probably it is a popular scale for figures, Right?

I know that basically space is something we need to consider but.. instead of having several small figures I rather get a nice scale one figure that I feel it fits in the right place and balanced my collection - Don't you think?

Thanks for helping and sharing!
Back to top Go down
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyWed 23 Jul 2014, 17:06

I think I have found the Artist who made the Big Blue Whale.
It is pjbclub and I have seen that he had also created a Right Whale at the size of 38 cm.
Right Whales grow up to 18 m long and that is the RIGHT Scale I was looking for :) 1:47.
I would be happy if I could get him in this conversation and get more info about that blue whale.

I do think that 1:45 to 1:55 is the RIGHT range for Whales and marine life.
White Sharks that are sold in major brands are at 1:43 - 1:38 scale that can be good with these Whales, No?
With this scale Blue Whale - Sharks are not needed to be tube sized.
This Mojo New White Shark is about 1:40 in scale - and it is a good start.

It seems like getting Big Whales at scale of 1:55 is a reasonable size - But the price is something to be considered as well + Weight for Shipping overseas.
1:55 can lead to 1:40 scale for dwarf Whales and also BIG sharks. Whale Shark can be at 1:50 scale with the largest members of the group and that can be found in major brands as well.
Safari Ltd NEW Whale Shark is in Good scale I think.

Well... jumping to Deep water should be done step by step. So I can start with the Blue Whale and getting all others one in a time :)
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyWed 23 Jul 2014, 19:25

tqcenter2002 wrote:
Thanks Kudu - That is truly a Good one! Size over 60 cm (63 - 64 cm ~ 25", I think) that is 1:46 a bit large in scale for the largest member of the group BUT still good in size only :) The price is unbelievably high for a Whale mom and calf.

The first one looks good but a bit small in size I think - that would be 1:75 if I am not mistaken.
But I am glad that we got over the 27 barrier from Schliech :) Now we are at 39 cm  for the largest Blue Whale we can get.

Is this scale popular among figurines? When I searched for the "Right Whale" I have found several scales but none of them where 1:75 - But I have not found this Blue whale as well - So probably it is a popular scale for figures, Right?

I know that basically space is something we need to consider but.. instead of having several small figures I rather get a nice scale one figure that I feel it fits in the right place and balanced my collection - Don't you think?

Thanks for helping and sharing!

I don't think the 39cm Blue Whale model is one that is "readily" available - considering there are a lot of blue whale-related "artworks" pictured at that link, it is very possible that the model is homemade. It certainly doesn't look like any figure I've seen released anywhere, and I don't know of anyone who has it. If Kevin Viado is still a member of the boards, you may want to reach out to see if he knows anything about it. His sealife collection was (is still?) beyond impressive, and if that Blue Whale model is available, he would know where to get it.

You can build a collection around the Schleich, Safari Ltd, and CollectA Blue Whale figures; although it will admittedly be relatively modest. Keep in mind there are at least 3 subspecies of Blue Whale, the smallest of which, the Pygmy Blue Whale (Balaenoptera musculus brevicauda) reaches a maximum length of 21m to 24m. That is considerably smaller than the other two recognized subspecies, which can reach at least 28m and 30m, respectively. **Keep in mind that 30m is the generally accepted MAXIMUM length (although there are longer specimens recorded); as with most species, Blue Whales are, on average, much smaller. The Blue Whale, as a species, averages roughly 23-27m in length. So, assuming

With this in mind, the three figures most easily acquired have a range of scales like this:

Schleich Blue Whale 2013 (27cm long) : 1:77 - 1:111 (Pygmy Blue Whale scale: 1:77-1:88)
Safari Ltd Blue Whale (26.8cm long) : 1:78 - 1:111 (Pygmy Blue Whale scale: 1:78-1:89)
CollectA Blue Whale (23cm long) : 1:91 - 1:130 (Pygmy Blue Whale scale: 1:91-1:104)

Personally, I would pick a "standard" scale for display, such as 1:85 or 1:100, or any scale of your choosing, then see what other figures are available in that scale.

So, for example, some other figures that are around 1:75 scale:

- AAA Right Whale (1:53-1:89)
- CollectA Bowhead Whale 2014 (1:52-1:86)
- Colorata Marine Mammals Deluxe Orca (1:55-1:106)
- Colorata Marine Mammals Deluxe Sperm Whale (1:73-1:177)
- Colorata Sharks of the World Deluxe Basking Shark (1:41-1:80)
- Colorata Sharks of the World Deluxe Whale Shark (1:29-1:84)
- Kaiyodo Animatales Series 4 Megamouth Shark (1:63-1:82)
- Kaiyodo Aquatales Vol. 1 Manta Ray (1:75-1:176) [diver is roughly 1:100, though]
- Kaiyodo Aquatales Vol. 1 Ocean Sunfish (1:55-1:100)
- Kaiyodo Aquatales Vol. 2 Northern Bluefin Tuna (1:34-1:79)
- Kaiyodo Aquatales Vol. 2 Short-finned Pilot Whale (1:55-1:111)
- Kaiyodo Aquatales Vol. 2 Whale Shark (1:64-1:183)
- Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Ocean Vol. 1 Manta Ray (1:52-1:124)
- Kitan Club Nature Techni Colour Ocean Vol. 1 Whale Shark (1:47-1:129)
- Mojo Fun Humpback Whale (1:47-1:80)
- PlayVisions Narwhal (1:68-1:90)
- Safari Ltd Arctic TOOB Beluga Whale (1:74)
- Safari Ltd Sharks TOOB Great Hammerhead Shark (1:74)
- Safari Ltd WS Bowhead Whale 2014 (1:53-1:87)

some other figures that are around 1:85 scale:

- AAA Right Whale (1:53-1:89)
- Colorata Sharks of the World 2004 Whale Shark (1:79-1:115)
- Kaiyodo Aquatales Vol. 1 Manta Ray (1:75-1:176) [diver is roughly 1:100, though]
- Kaiyodo Capsule Aquarium Vol. 3 Shinegawa Aquarium Orca female (1:82-1:139)
- PlayVisions Narwhal (1:68-1:90)
- PlayVisions Orca (1:77-1:138)
- Safari Ltd WS Humpback Whale 2013 (1:82-1:87)
- Schleich Northern Right Whale (1:76-1:93)

Some examples of 1:100 scale figures:

- Bullyland Fin Whale 2012 (1:96-1:144)
- Colorata Sharks of the World 2004 Whale Shark (1:79-1:115)
- Kaiyodo Aquatales Vol. 1 Manta Ray (1:75-1:176) [diver is approx. 1:100]
- Kaiyodo Capsule Aquarium Vol. 3 Shinegawa Aquarium Orca female (1:82-1:139)
- Kitan Club Animals of Japan Vol. 1 Minke Whale (1:94-1:117)
- Maia + Borges North Atlantic Right Whale 2012 (1:87 - 1:130)
- PlayVisions Orca (1:77-1:138)

I'm sure there are other figures available in these scales, but smaller sealife is not really able to be rendered in these scales just due to making the figures too small. A collection of smaller sealife can be easily had in 1:20, 1:25, 1:32, 1:40, or 1:45 - there are tons of sealife figures available in these scales, but you're not likely to easily find a Blue Whale or Fin whale in these scales at an affordable price due to the fact that they would take up way too much space on retailers' shelves, would be too expensive to produce, and therefore, would cost a small fortune. Although some figures have been produced in the past that are around 39cm in length (the Monterey Bay Aquarium Humpback Whale is 38cm), they are indeed few and far between and tend to cost more money than many consumers are willing to pay. Large figures are difficult to sell because the majority of consumers do not want/do not have a place to store a toy whale that large when their children are not playing with it.

Two avenues you may want to explore are foam core animal figures and cheap toys manufactured in China - I know there are sharks that are around 55cm (22") long that are made in China; there may be some whales (other than orcas and bottlenose dolphins, which I'm sure there are), as well. Likewise, there are some pretty impressive foam core animals available; it is possible that there are large whales, too.

Otherwise, you may be stuck joining the rest of us scale-junkies and wind up with a bunch of different displays that each feature different animal figures representing a myriad of species :)
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyThu 24 Jul 2014, 09:10

Wow!!!!! THANK YOU sphyrna18  Applause Applause Applause Applause 
That is overwhelming! I can understand that you know almost everything about Marine life figurines out there - I would be happy to see your collection!!!  bounce bounce 

Being a scale-junkie myself I can relate with everything you just said :)

You are telling me that there is NO 39 cm Blue Whale out there? Does the Dwarf Blue Whale LOOKS the same as the LARGE one - but small in size only? If that is the case then I can get me three of them :)

There are three subspecies of Blue Whale and two of them are large and only one is small - so what is the difference between the other two? only size?

As I can see - there are plenty of Marine figures in the market that can fit with several scaling - 1:75 is the largest scale mentioned and I think that it would be good for me to start with - But I do want to get to 1:60 (or even 1:55) is that possible?

I can see that these I can collect:

AAA Right Whale (1:53-1:89)
- Colorata Sharks of the World Deluxe Basking Shark (1:41-1:80)
- Colorata Sharks of the World Deluxe Whale Shark (1:29-1:84)
- Kaiyodo Animatales Series 4 Megamouth Shark (1:63-1:82)
- Kaiyodo Aquatales Vol. 2 Northern Bluefin Tuna (1:34-1:79)
- Mojo Fun Humpback Whale (1:47-1:80)

That is a really BIG list to start! Thanks!!!!
I know that the size is a BIG limitation and that major brands will not create VERY LARGE scale figures - How many REALLY BIG AND HEAVY  Whales I really need? 10?

I do not want to end up filling my collection with Toob figures - I have not seen them but they look too small it with no details - Is that correct? Going to 1:100 scale I might get very large figures in the market and I might be ending up with some small with no details.

What you refer with smaller sea life? Seals and walruses?  I do think the seals and walruses should keep the same scale as my other wildlife - 1:20 and I see that they are some figures that meets this scale in the market.

sphyrna18 wrote:
Two avenues you may want to explore are foam core animal figures and cheap toys manufactured in China - I know there are sharks that are around 55cm (22") long that are made in China; there may be some whales (other than orcas and bottlenose dolphins, which I'm sure there are), as well. Likewise, there are some pretty impressive foam core animals available; it is possible that there are large whales, too.

What do you mean by that? Can you please share with me an example of a figure - Picture might help.

I have more questions.... But I'll be starting with these and hopefully you'll have the time to answer them :)

THANK YOU!!!!
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyThu 24 Jul 2014, 20:08

tqcenter2002 wrote:
Wow!!!!! THANK YOU sphyrna18  Applause Applause Applause Applause 
That is overwhelming! I can understand that you know almost everything about Marine life figurines out there - I would be happy to see your collection!!!  bounce bounce 

Figuring out figure scales and which figures are scaled with one another can indeed be a little overwhelming at first, especially since so many figure that you would think are in scale with each other turn out to be nowhere near haha.  I wouldn't say that I know almost everything about marine life figures - I certainly know other people with collections that totally blow me away and are far more knowledgeable about them than I am.  Most of what I pass along I have learned from others; and to them I am tremendously indebted.  At present, most of my collections are unfortunately in storage; someday I hope to have the time and space to display them properly.  Just not today.

tqcenter2002 wrote:
You are telling me that there is NO 39 cm Blue Whale out there?
I don't know that there is NOT a 39cm Blue Whale figure somewhere; I just know that I wouldn't make that the base for a collection until you have one in hand.  I know that there are none that are easily gotten, but, again, I'm not sure whether or not one exists.  I would suggest contacting K907 (he's a member here) - his knowledge of and collection of sealife seems limitless.  If anyone can help you locate one, I would think he could.

tqcenter2002 wrote:
Does the Dwarf Blue Whale LOOKS the same as the LARGE one - but small in size only? If that is the case then I can get me three of them :)

There are three subspecies of Blue Whale and two of them are large and only one is small - so what is the difference between the other two? only size?
Dwarf Blue Whales do have some physical differences, but none that are very significant for collection purposes.  They are very, very difficult, even for experts, to differentiate from the Antarctic subspecies; the other subspecies inhabits the North Atlantic and North Pacific, but is similar in physical appearance.  Pygmy Blue Whales have been observed as having shorter tails (length behind dorsal fin) than other subspecies and a proportionately larger head.  They are said to look somewhat like tadpoles.  They also tend to be somewhat darker colored. Overall, though, they are not easy to distinguish from other Southern hemisphere Blue Whales.  

tqcenter2002 wrote:
As I can see - there are plenty of Marine figures in the market that can fit with several scaling - 1:75 is the largest scale mentioned and I think that it would be good for me to start with - But I do want to get to 1:60 (or even 1:55) is that possible?
There are definitely plenty of figures to create very nice collections; 1:60 and 1:55 both offer diverse figures.  There is obviously some crossover due to size distribution among living species, but there are also plenty of figures that are unique to one or the other scale.  Your largest collections would probably center somewhere around 1:20; 1:32, or 1:43.  The number of available figures representing unique species increases dramatically; only the large whales are noticeably absent from these scales.  

tqcenter2002 wrote:
I do not want to end up filling my collection with Toob figures - I have not seen them but they look too small it with no details - Is that correct?
TOOB figures are your friends! Especially if you want to display something like a Beluga Whale with a Blue Whale.  But bear in mind that TOOB figures are as radically inconsistent in scale as any other collection - for instance, the Safari Ltd. Sharks TOOB Great Hammerhead Shark may look good in a 1:70 scale display; the Crocodile Shark from that same TOOB, on the other hand, works in a 1:10 scale display next to the Wild Safari Leopard Shark, Colorata Sharks of the World Japanese Bullhead Shark, and Incredible Creatures Cownose Ray and Green Sea Turtle; the TOOB Leopard Shark fits in with other 1:15 scale figures, such as the Wild Safari Cownose Ray, Loggerhead Sea Turtle, and Zebra Shark (which has the juvenile/immature patterning).  This haphazard scaling also afflicts the Colorata sets - i.e. the Sharks of the World (2004) Blacktip Reef Shark is comfortably surrounded by other 1:20 figures in my collection, while the Blue Shark and Manta Ray from the same set are both at home in my 1:50 display with my Wild Safari Whale Shark and Aquatales Swordfish and Oceanic Whitetip Shark. My favorite Colorata Shark - the Scalloped Hammerhead - is showcased with the Colorata Sandtiger Shark in the 1:40, with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Humpback Whale, Sperm Whale, Gray Whale, Killer Whale, and Whale Shark, Papo Killer Whale, Wild Safari Manta Ray and Beluga Whale, Capsule Aquarium Copper Shark, and countless other figures.

As you can see, TOOB and TOOB-size figures play an integral role in any collection that is to feature large and small species together; TOOB figures just don't break the bank in doing so.  While they are often not as detailed as the Japanese figures (which are every bit as small), they are also nowhere near as expensive.  Often, for the price of just one Japanese figure you can buy one or two TOOBs.  Plus, many of the TOOB figures are just "generic" enough to stand in for species other than what they are intended to be.  Could your collections exist without the TOOB figures? Sure.  But they will be much richer if you include them! :)  Unfortunately, TOOB figures are mixed in quality; some are excellently detailed, others are terrible.  And the figures in one TOOB may look terrible, but see that very same TOOB somewhere else, and the figures look outstanding.  It's an unfortunate crapshoot.  Luckily, they are small figures - not much detail is necessary for most of them, and imperfections are generally easy to overlook.  Most are miniaturizations of the Safari Ltd figures from Monterey Bay Aquarium or Wild Safari.  Unlike larger figures with imperfections - i.e. the Mojo Great White you referenced previously - the imperfections on TOOB figures are as small as the figures themselves.

So definitely do not write off TOOB figures! They offer great variety for very little money, and most only need a retouch on paint to make them look every bit as good as the infinitely more expensive Japanese figures.

The Mojo Great White, by the way, is a nice figure, but plagued by a few problems:  most noticeably, it only has 4 gill slits instead of 5 and is noticeably missing the keel on the caudal peduncle (we won't talk about the claspers! Ugh!).  And regarding scale, it is more accurately around 1:25 to 1:32, especially since it is a male. At present, 6.4m is the maximum length accepted for Great White Sharks; they may grow larger (maybe 7m), but they have not been officially measured at such lengths.

tqcenter2002 wrote:
What you refer with smaller sea life? Seals and walruses?  I do think the seals and walruses should keep the same scale as my other wildlife - 1:20 and I see that they are some figures that meets this scale in the market.
Seals and Walruses, Sea Birds, various species of fish, some crustaceans, as well as most species of dolphins, porpoises, beaked whales, sharks, etc are all small sealife. I usually display seals and walruses with other denizens of the sea, since they are technically classed as sealife; sea otters as well;  Polar Bears get dual treatment as both wildlife and sealife in my displays, depending on my mood.  Bear in mind that Walrus figures are often closer to 1:25 to 1:30, and thus do not look very impressive when displayed with 1:20 figures.  There are plenty of 1:20 sealife figures you could include with your 1:20 wildlife; it is pretty humbling when you can see just how large sea life is compared with terrestrial life...

tqcenter2002 wrote:
sphyrna18 wrote:

What do you mean by that? Can you please share with me an example of a figure - Picture might help.
The figures in the two top pictures are 19"-22" long.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Jumbo Foam Shark:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

Perhaps there are other jumbo figures available of the great whales? Only way to find out is to search, I guess...
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyFri 25 Jul 2014, 13:49

Kinto Favourite Collection have some sea animals too, also not very small. I will look in my collection for the lenght.:)

Last edited by widukind on Fri 25 Jul 2014, 16:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyFri 25 Jul 2014, 14:37

If you want i can help you with some sizes of the figurines:)

Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale EmptyMon 28 Jul 2014, 17:12

widukind wrote:
If you want i can help you with some sizes of the figurines:)

The Favorite Collection (formerly Kinto) figures are really great. The whole line can be found here:

It would be nice if they would do a Blue Whale in their new, large vinyl figures, which are around 39cm; unfortunately, they haven't done one yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale   whale - Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale Empty

Back to top Go down

Cetacea: The right scale from the Blue Whale to the Dwarf Sperm Whale
Page 1 of 1