Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 

Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals   Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:08 pm

I think all of the unknowns in the photos here (along with some 'knowns' for comparison) were UK vintage (probably 1955-59) made.
None are marked, and they are copies, or 'obviously inspired by' UK makes.

1) Bulls:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Top row are three 'knowns':
Top left: Britains/Herald (early version in white plastic. This figure seen more often in later incarnation as a Jersey)
Top centre: Cherilea bull, marked and well known, I think first made 1960/61
Top right: Lead T&B/FGT (many later plastic items by FGT and B&S were of previous lead figures, but not all.....)
Bottom row are four 'unknowns':
left: direct copy of the Herald bull
2nd: reversed leg positions variation of Herald bull
3rd: another similar. Possibly Trojan(Shipton) brand?
right: another 'inspired by'. I was told it was FGT when I bought it from well known dealer and expert Adrian Little, but I'd like confirmation/proof.

Apart from FGT and Trojan(Shipton), other companies I think may have made these are Hilco, pre 1960 Cherilea, B&S, or Paramount (Mr Lucas, formerly 'Sacul' brand in lead),
or (getting more complicated) designed by Paramount, but not sold by them, but moulds sold on to B&S.

In the 'Plastic Warrior Special, UK Makers' there is mention of a now unknown, possibly freelance, designer who did stuff for several UK brands, some of which were 'inspired by' Britains and other brands, but always changed a bit, so not to be direct copies. Methinks some of these bulls were by whoever it was.

Last edited by DaveScriv on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals   Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:17 pm

Next up are two photos, one of chickens, the other ducks/geese, which I bought on eBay recently.
I thought them interesting because they are plastic copies of old UK made lead poultry by various makers. In both photos, the recent unknown purchase items are on the left, with the original equivalents to the right.

Top: Unknown copy of FGT cock, centre FGT cock in lead, right FGT cock in plastic.
Middle: Unknown copy of JoHillCo pecking hen, Original lead JoHillCo hen, Plastic copy of it by Reisler, Denmark - close, but not the same as the unknown one.
Bottom: Unknown copy of lead Timpo sitting hen, Original lead Timpo sitting hen

Top: Unknown copy of (very similar) JoHillCo or FGT walking duck, 2nd JoHillCo lead duck, 3rd FGT lead duck, right FGT plastic duck (they made this in white or brown plastic - I only have a brown one)
Middle: Unknown copy of lead Timpo walking goose, lead Timpo walking goose
Bottom: Unknown swimming duck. FGT plastic swimming duck, the first similar old item I thought of. After doing the photos I remembered another swimming duck, in lead,  which is virtually the same as the unknown one. It was originally made by a small company, Stoddart, which never restarted production after WW2 in 1945, and Timpo (then a new company) bought some of their moulds and produced them, in some cases only until they had better moulds made to replace them. Some boxed sets of lead figures in the early 1950s contained a mix of old Stoddart and new Timpo items.

So, Hugh? Chris? Anyone else? Ideas? Better still, actual evidence?
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

Country/State : Hampshire, UK

PostSubject: Re: Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals   Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:34 pm

See my eMail of the other day!!!!

I Was expecting this post and as I scolled down thought "well that middle one is the Cherilea bull"!

Trojan are in the frame for the ex-Timpo's I think?

H

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals   Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
See my eMail of the other day!!!!

I Was expecting this post and as I scrolled down thought "well that middle one is the Cherilea bull"!

Trojan are in the frame for the ex-Timpo's I think?

H

I'm starting to think Trojan for some of these, and other unknowns I have, because the list in the PW Trojan Special doesn't correspond to the Speedwell/UNA farm range (so I'm less inclined to agree with PW that Trojan farm were the same as Speedwell & friends farm), but the Trojan list doesn't correspond with all of these either.

I suppose I could say that as there are 4 unknown bulls, there must be 4 unknown farm ranges, so it then is a matter of discovering which ones go with which. Of course they probably won't all be complete ranges, especially any produced by B&S or FGT, which were 'space fillers', for the gaps when they split up as T&B. The 'possibly designed by Paramount' animals known in B&S boxed sets are very different style (much more elegant) than most T&B/B&S/FGT figures.

Keeps us off the streets I suppose.  study  scratch  geek 
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

Country/State : Hampshire, UK

PostSubject: Re: Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals   Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:19 pm

Paramount are funny because they have the 'same' wild west range as the other reprobates, but sometimes with a degree of originality, also they must have had something to go with those tractors and farm machinery - in both sizes...

The new discovery; BMS has to be in the frame as well, despite probably being a subsidiary of one of the others? (Kentoys/speedwell/Trojan/UNA or VP)

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals   Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Very nice and interesting figurines

PostSubject: Re: Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals   

Back to top Go down

Some unknown vintage UK plastic farm animals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1