Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Please vote for Show Us Yours of October! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
bounce bounce bounce Please check here the incredible line-up of Safari LTD for 2017! bounce bounce bounce

Share | 

Schleich newbie questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chamira

Country/State : Sri Lanka

PostSubject: Schleich newbie questions   Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:36 am

Brand new to the forum and collecting on behalf of my almost 3 year old boy.
Got started when a friend from Germany sent some animals and now I am hooked - but I will keep insisting I am collecting for my son.

My question is how often do Schleich release animal figures? On their site it seems the last set was in May 2014, but for other figures there are releases this month and September.

Do we ever get any top secret leaks as what to they plan?

Surely someone must know someone who works for them?

Last edited by Chamira on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Hello, Charmira, and welcome here Very Happy
It sounds like you and your son can have lots of fun together, collecting Schleich ! cheers 

Schleich releases models in January, May and September, and usually we know the new ones in December.
They are very strict about not leaking about the news, and the first ones to know are usually the toy shops Wink

Chamira

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks Susanne, I saw they have released a set of Snoopy items for August too.

The boy is already looking through the 2014 catalogue - he's getting excited about dinosaurs (the most expensive Rolling Eyes ).

The postage to Sri Lanka is killing me too!

By the way what proportion/ratio do they use for the wild animals and is it always consistent?

Is it comparable with the dinosaurs too?

And what about the farm animals?

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:03 pm

Welcome here!

Susanne has already answered your first questions very well Wink The Special Editions are not in the catalogue or on the website - those are released as they are announced. These are often done only for certain stores or certain events. Lately they have been doing several limited number figures as well.

Schleich, as well as any major brand, don't use a consistent scale, as many animals would be far too large or way too small. Very Happy

Dinosaurs I can't help you with, but the older dinosaurs (not sure if they do it anymore) used to come with a little in-scale person, to show you how large the dinosaur is in scale to the human. I don't think today's dinos are in scale with the wildlife - some are about the same height as the giraffes, and I would think the scale is off there. Again, I don't know dinosaurs so I'll leave that up to someone who does.

Farm animals are the same thing. The scale is not consistent and you probably won't find a brand with a consistent scale unless you're purchasing model train animals or models sculpted by the fantastic artists here on STS. cheers

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Ohh, yes ! The Peanuts ! And here in the autumn we will probably also see a lot of "Special Editions", - standard models with another paintwork, and sold in certain countries/toy-chains. People often go amok over them  Shocked 
The last years, Schleich has gone amok too, and it has become almost impossible to collect them all.
Take a look here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you can see, there was only occationally one, until 2011, when it began, and in '13 and '14 it has been crazy  Shocked 

About the ratio, or scale of the animals, you will see that they are not at all to scale. The elephants are not much larger than the cows, etc.... but I am not an expert in this. There are people in this forum who know MUCH more about that, I hope somebody sees this and will comment on it.

Dinos are a wonderful hobby !
If you want your son to have accurate and beautyful dinos, I can recommend Safari Ltd's Carnegie-line !
You can find pictures here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Chamira

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Thank you both for your advice. Those Carnegie line dinos look great.

But the heart is a strange thing - I have looked at some other brands and I keep coming back to Schleich, I know a lot of people are running this brand down but there is something about the look of their animals that I really like.

I am not looking for pin-point scientific accuracy but something that is enjoyable to have. The dark green T-Rex (schleich 14525) is lovely, even if it is a bit 'Jurassic Park' in some peoples opinion. It was a wonderful to see the boy taking a step back when I put it on the floor, and walk around it cautiously, unsure if it was real or not. The colour and the texture is very similar to green chameleons we have here and that must have made him nervous.

I would like to look in to other brands but I can only go buy the images I see on the internet as none of the quality brands are available here. And the problem is 90% of the images are bad, I think these toys don't photograph well at all unless you make a lot of effort with the lighting &etc.
So, my best hope is to see the great model comparison threads and see if it might be worth looking at buying other brands too.

I have one more question for now, what are the digits 1, 2 and 3 I see on some animals, usually next to the 'Made in Germany' stamp?
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:56 pm

To see better photos, you can check out our SUY threads. Lots of eye-candy there. Wink

The numbers on the figures are the mold that was used. 1 came from the first mold, 2 from the second, et cetera. Very Happy

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Chamira

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks, sorry to be a nuisance, but what does 'SUY' mean?

Also, can you point me to the threads where they compare the same animals from different brands? Is there a dedicated forum/thread for that?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:30 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Thanks, sorry to be a nuisance, but what does 'SUY' mean?

Also, can you point me to the threads where they compare the same animals from different brands? Is there a dedicated forum/thread for that?

You're right, SUY is terminology from our forum and new members don't know it.
It means "Show us yours", a section of our forum where everyone shows figures of a certain species, group of animals or certain subject. Very Happy You can find it [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] sunny
About chameleons, I love them and they were common in my childhood once they also can be found in the South of Portugal. Very Happy
I understand your child feeling about Schleich T-rex but your description fits perfectly with what I feel when I see the fabulous Papo T-rex. Very Happy
You can see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. That's a special edition but it can be found in green easily! Very Happy

p.s. Sorry to be a uisance either but how can you have a 3 years boy when you have 99 years of age? Shocked Wink Kidding, you surely adopted him but you don't have to expose your life. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Welcome here:)

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 am

Thank you.

p.s. Sorry to be a uisance either but how can you have a 3 years boy when you have 99 years of age?  Shocked  Wink Kidding, you surely adopted him but you don't have to expose your life. Very Happy

Thank you for all the information Roger, I really appreciate it.

With regards to my age, I think having an almost 3 yr old boy makes you feel 99 yrs old - so tired, all the time!
Back to top Go down
Schleichfreund

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Welcome here! Very Happy

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:49 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm also a Schleich collector and I like the models a lot. I dislike the fact they keep getting Exclusives, it's getting too expensive this way.

http://catralivumhorses.nl/
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:16 am

Thank you.

p.s. Sorry to be a uisance either but how can you have a 3 years boy when you have 99 years of age?  Shocked  Wink Kidding, you surely adopted him but you don't have to expose your life. Very Happy

Thank you for all the information Roger, I really appreciate it.

With regards to my age, I think having an almost 3 yr old boy makes you feel 99 yrs old - so tired, all the time!

Laughing Good reply! I wish all the luck to you and your boy! They give a lot of work but they are wonderful in that age. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Chamira

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:33 am

Thank you widukind, Schleichfreund, Damon93 and Roger!

I am not a collector really (that's what I keep saying anyway! **). The boy loves animals and loves these figures so I am trying to give him a wide range of animals to play with and compare. They will last but they will be battered - but that adds another value to them in a way.

(** Saying, that I wonder if there is a collecting gene. Something you can't shake off. I was a stamp collector when I was young and I now collect old jazz records. And my wife seems to be collecting shoes  Rolling Eyes )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schleich newbie questions   Today at 12:24 am

Back to top Go down

Schleich newbie questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1