Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla

Go down 
+15
Roger
widukind
kudu11
arafan
animalluvr6
lucky luke
boba_jagoda
costicuba
Wilorvise
Kikimalou
LeeAnn
JonasV
Ana
SUSANNE
MiniZoo
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Wow, great! It's gonna be amazing sculpture! cheers
And I see you have some really great tools Very Happy The brushes are particularly interesting Cool

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks Ana Very Happy ... here's the web link to the tool set - http://www.d-anatomystore.com/complete-sculpting-tool-set-special/
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 9:54 am

Work is progressing really slowly now as it's time to concentrate on detail.

1. Made a major change to the back (lifted the skin folds higher). Involved cutting away large pieces and repositioning, blending & re-texturing)
2. He wasn't fat enough! Ribs showed too much so added extra fat (photos before and after blending)
3. Detailing feet - cutting away small pieces with the scalpel, smoothing/blending with ball end tools, further smoothing with clay brush, adding toenails & creases in the skin with a pin and then finally using the clay brush lightly to blend the creases.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Back10 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Tummy110 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Tummy210 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Foot_d10
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 10:19 am

Wow, he's very impressive. Great work! cheers

MiniZoo wrote:
Thanks Ana Very Happy ... here's the web link to the tool set - http://www.d-anatomystore.com/complete-sculpting-tool-set-special/

Thank you for the link! I will think about getting them too, aren't cheap but can be very useful Very Happy

Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 1:36 pm

bounce bounce

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:09 pm

! Thank you very much for this tutorial really interesting I'll put all your contributions to knowledge;
to make my more realistic figirines; Very Happy cheers study
Very good tip for the wings of birds Applause Wink study
Thank you very instuctif changing your gorilla; farao
is great, I can not wait to see it in paint bounce drunken king
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:45 pm

This is SO fascinating bounce cheers

Now I understand how your models are so unique and awesome, - hard work, talent, and enormous attention to detail + more hard work and an extra bucket of talent affraid

Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 2:57 pm

So, will this thread get the honor of being a sticky? Very Happy

Last edited by Wilorvise on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 3:27 pm

This is just amazing. :O

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. I love you
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks for the great comments above cheers  Today I'm showing how I make the hands.

Firstly it's so much easier to make them separately from the body then add them later. I've made one and now I can step through how to make the other one. Gorilla hands are very leathery and creased so this is the look we're going for.

1. Take a similar size piece of clay, 2. Lay the template hand over (to get the same size) and cut away excess clay, 3. use scalpel to further trim as needed
Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_110 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_210 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_310

4. Round off the sharp edges and draw a crease where the fingers join the palm, 5. mark in the fingers and add extra clay for meatier parts of the palm, 6. mark extra creases at the finger joints and blend the extra clay. I also pushed the middle of the palm in with a ball end tool to hollow it slightly.
Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_410 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_510 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_610

7. added more creases on thumb and palm and used small clay brush to smooth and give better shape to fingers, 8. flip over to do the back using scalpel again to cut away any excess and improve shape, 9. mark fingers and place a small roll for the knuckles.
Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_710 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_810 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_910

10. draw in fingernails, shape knuckles, add creases etc as before, 11. ready to attach... final smoothing & touch ups will be done to the back of the hands once attached. The inside of the hands will be too hard to reach once attached but I'm satisfied that there is enough detail there.
Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_111 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hand_112

I know that was a long post but hands are tricky, so I hope this has been useful!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 9:11 am

Awesome affraid

It looks so easy when shown like this, but it must have taken you hours to make Very Happy

Fantastic work cheers

animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 12:13 am

I can't believe I am now just seeing this wonderful tutorial! Such beautiful work so far, I just can't wait to see this! cheers

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 12:26 am

Thankyou Kelsey cheers

After another 2 or 3 hours of fussing over little details he is finally ready to bake!!

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Prefro10Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Prerig10Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Prebac10Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Prelef10

Last edited by MiniZoo on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 12:37 am

Because Ozzie is heavy & standing on one leg I'm inserting a pin through his foot and up into the leg to provide extra support when he is glued to the display base. I've used fencing wire (a lot stiffer than armature wire). The pin is then removed prior to baking but the hole is there when I need it later.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Pin11

Now to the oven... Super Sculpey requires 15mins per 6mm. Measure from the middle of the thickest part to the outer edge. Don't forget to allow for bulking materials inside your model when making your calculations - Ozzie has some in his chest but not his belly so I have to allow for 20mm - so roughly 45min will do.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Measur10 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Oven210
Back to top Go down
arafan

arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 12:51 am

Wow! affraid
Awesome details, the only thing I don't really like is that the face is a little long. But I think that's only because the view.
I can't wait to see him finish.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 8:07 am

This is a GREAT topic Applause I can't stop watching the process again and again study study study
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 8:18 am

arafan wrote:
Wow! affraid
Awesome details, the only thing I don't really like is that the face is a little long. But I think that's only because the view.
I can't wait to see him finish.

Thanks for watching Kikimalou & Arafan and for your constructive comments Smile  The face may appear long as he is charging forward trying to appear scary - so his hair is standing up adding size to his overall head shape. and also being an older gorilla he has more hair under his chin. The skull size is in proportion with his skeleton if we believe the template that was used on page 1 of the tutorial.

Okay, so final steps before painting:
1. tiny little balls of clay build up during the texturing process. I remove most of these with a small clay brush before baking
2. after baking he is removed from the armature which exposes the hole in his back. This gets filled with a small amount of air drying clay. I then added the hair texture to match the rest of the back
3. after baking there is usually still some little clay balls that I've missed so I just chip them off with a pointy end tool

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Tiny_b10 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Hole_i10 Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Remove10

Now ready to paint - I love this part of the process Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 8:34 am

MiniZoo wrote:

Now ready to paint - I love this part of the process Very Happy

This is so exiting bounce bounce bounce

MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 8:50 am

Thanks Susanne - so glad you're enjoying it!

Painting... first stage - undercoat:
1. I'm going to spray paint Ozzie's undercoat as he would take ages to hand paint. Also the spray can get into otherwise really difficult places to reach like the inside of the hands. I use the Warhammer paint range and seeing as he's a gorilla, chaos black is the obvious choice. Here is my little spray booth - definitely do this outside!

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Spray_10

2. Half done - I've done the back first, now rolled over to the front. Have to be careful not to build up too many layers of undercoat (use sweeping, short spray bursts and turn model regularly) and also allow drying in between sprays to prevent paint runs. Something dramatic about this photo Shocked I really like it!

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Half_u10

3. Finished undercoat - starting to look like a Gorilla now  Smile almost tempted to leave as is.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Finish10
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 10:04 am

YESSS!!! He is GORGEOUS cheers

I think his name is Chaos Very Happy

MiniZoo

MiniZoo

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 6:20 am

There's so many steps to painting and it's a very individual thing so I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

Stage 2:
* Nuln Oil Shade - this is a very runny paint which is applied liberally over the whole model. The pigment settles in the crevices without affecting the raised areas greatly and helps give a nice 3D effect. It helped get the black into the mouth and nostrils where the spray paint didn't fully work. For this model it was black shade on black undercoat so the effect was very subtle. It also toned down the shininess of the undercoat.
* Fire Dragon Bright - I needed an orange to colour the head, this was washed over with an orange shade. It looks ridiculous at the moment but it will be toned down and blended later on.
* Administration Grey - very lightly brushed (using minimal paint on the brush) over the raised areas to give the effect of grey tipped fur for Ozzie who is a very old gorilla, but with the black still clearly visible underneath.
* Black - for touching up little areas here & there

Still a lot to do on the paintwork.

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Painti10
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 pm

This is ( also ! ) one of the fun parts cheers

bounce bounce bounce

arafan

arafan

Country/State : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 5:33 pm

I really like it! Very Happy
Is it a mountain gorilla?

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Looks great! Very Happy

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 6:39 pm

Beautiful, fantastic! I can't wait to see him finished Very Happy Very Happy
I think it's Lowland Gorilla like the one from first picture? monkey

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla   Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tutorial - Silverback Gorilla
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next