Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas
 
Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 
 

 Smilodon figurine accuracy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:33 pm

Hello everyone

I have generated a list, IMHO of course,  of the 5 best and 5 worst mainstream Smilodon figurines, based only on morphology and scientific accuracy.

5 Best (in no particular order)

Safari Missing Links Smilodon (1997)
Mojo Smilodon
AAA (large version) Smilodon         (great casting, except the tail is way to long)
Safari Carnegie Smilodon (1988)
1998 Bullyland Smilodon



5 Worst (in no particular order)

Papo Smilodon             
Bullyland (2013) Smilodon
Schleich Smilodon
CollectA (2009)
Kinto Favorite Soft model Smilodon  


Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:39 pm; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-10-01
Posts : 28230

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:30 am

Great topic cheers

For those who do not have ( so many ) smilodonts, you can see here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
widukind



Country/State : Germany
Age : 40
Joined : 2010-12-31
Posts : 23598

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 am

Interesting topic:)

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:50 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Great topic cheers

For those who do not have ( so many ) smilodonts, you can see here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy

Thanks Susanne
That link is very helpful
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne



Country/State : Netherlands
Age : 47
Joined : 2012-12-15
Posts : 1265

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:27 am

Papo's Smilodon is my favourite, just because it looks better than the rest of them.
But I'm no paleontology expert at all.
So I don't know what a Smilodon is supposed to look like.

If you could please explain what you think is wrong with its body type and based on what information, I would be very eager to learn?

Thanks. Very Happy

_________________
Simone  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Papo's Smilodon is my favourite, just because it looks better than the rest of them.
But I'm no paleontology expert at all.
So I don't know what a Smilodon is supposed to look like.

If you could please explain what you think is wrong with its body type and based on what information, I would be very eager to learn?

Thanks. Very Happy


The morphology of the Papo Smilodon is very wrong.  The cat was very stocky and muscular, almost bear like in build.  The Papo cat is built like a very slender modern day cougar.  From certain angles, it even looks canine like to me.  If one was to look up information from numerous books on this cat all paleontologists are in agreement that Smilodon was extremely stocky with very large shoulder and neck muscles and very thick and muscular forelimbs...this is not what we see with the Papo Smilodon figurine. The Papo figure is very slender and not so cat like in its face.  Also, according to experts and numerous fossil remains, Smilodon"s sabers were knife like in shape with a noticeable curve and quite pointed at the ends (Mojo Smilodon got this perfect).  The Papo figure sabers are cone shaped and very blunt,  almost tusk like in appearance.


Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:18 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne



Country/State : Netherlands
Age : 47
Joined : 2012-12-15
Posts : 1265

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Thank you for your explanation
Papo's smilodon does look more like a modern cat, instead of a bearlike creature.
Never liked the other figures much because they looked so bulky.
But now I know that's what a Smilodon should look like, heheh.

I don't think Papo can do much about the bluntness of the teeth though.
It still is supposed to be a children's toy.

_________________
Simone  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin


Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.
Age : 64
Joined : 2010-10-01
Posts : 28230

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:27 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
......
Never liked the other figures much because they looked so bulky.
But now I know that's what a Smilodon should look like, heheh.
.......

We learn a lot here, don't we ? Laughing Laughing
Like you, I did not know that Smilodons were very bulky, before I joined this Forum study  drunken
I thought they were just like a cugar with long teeth Very Happy

_________________
SUSANNE  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Thank you for your explanation
Papo's smilodon does look more like a modern cat, instead of a bearlike creature.
Never liked the other figures much because they looked so bulky.
But now I know that's what a Smilodon should look like, heheh.

I don't think Papo can do much about the bluntness of the teeth though.
It still is supposed to be a children's toy.


Your welcome Simone.
Brian Very Happy


Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne



Country/State : Netherlands
Age : 47
Joined : 2012-12-15
Posts : 1265

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
......
Never liked the other figures much because they looked so bulky.
But now I know that's what a Smilodon should look like, heheh.
.......

We learn a lot here, don't we ? Laughing Laughing
Like you, I did not know that Smilodons were very bulky, before I joined this Forum study  drunken
I thought they were just like a cugar with long teeth Very Happy

The fact that some people call it Sabertooth tiger doesn't really help either. Laughing
It implies it looks like a tiger.
Just like people say Koala bear, which isn't a bear at all.

_________________
Simone  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
......
Never liked the other figures much because they looked so bulky.
But now I know that's what a Smilodon should look like, heheh.
.......

We learn a lot here, don't we ? Laughing Laughing
Like you, I did not know that Smilodons were very bulky, before I joined this Forum study  drunken
I thought they were just like a cugar with long teeth Very Happy

The fact that some people call it Sabertooth tiger doesn't really help either.  Laughing
It implies it looks like a tiger.
Just like people say Koala bear, which isn't a bear at all.


That's an excellent point Simone.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)



Country/State : USA
Age : 48
Joined : 2012-03-03
Posts : 2996

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:53 am

We should get some pictures up in this thread. It would make it extremely helpful.

I think my favorite easily-available smilodon is the Wild Safari version. It's too bad it is striped liked a tiger, but otherwise, I like it a lot. The Mojo is a good figure and may indeed be the most accurate. But it's a bit static and feels a bit clumsily sculpted in some respects. (Not nearly as bad as the CollectA or the Schleich, for sure, but still…like Susanne's mentioned elsewhere, the fact that the paintwork has "shading" in it is off-putting.) The Wild Safari is more dynamic and naturally posed, at least to my eyes. So despite the claim to accuracy, the Mojo fun is not at the top of my list of wanted smilodons. (I only own the Papo, which I've come to like less and less -- not to mention the fact that it's not scientifically accurate at all.) If it were easily available, I'd get the missing links figure in a second. That's such a great model.

smilodoncalifornicus, I'm curious to know what do you think of the Kaiyodo model? or the recent one by Favorite Co. (Kinto)? Or the old [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] version?
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:36 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
We should get some pictures up in this thread. It would make it extremely helpful.

I think my favorite easily-available smilodon is the Wild Safari version. It's too bad it is striped liked a tiger, but otherwise, I like it a lot. The Mojo is a good figure and may indeed be the most accurate. But it's a bit static and feels a bit clumsily sculpted in some respects. (Not nearly as bad as the CollectA or the Schleich, for sure, but still…like Susanne's mentioned elsewhere, the fact that the paintwork has "shading" in it is off-putting.) The Wild Safari is more dynamic and naturally posed, at least to my eyes. So despite the claim to accuracy, the Mojo fun is not at the top of my list of wanted smilodons. (I only own the Papo, which I've come to like less and less -- not to mention the fact that it's not scientifically accurate at all.) If it were easily available, I'd get the missing links figure in a second. That's such a great model.

smilodoncalifornicus, I'm curious to know what do you think of the Kaiyodo model? or the recent one by Favorite Co. (Kinto)? Or the old [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] version?



Hi Scot

I overall agree with your comments on Smilodon. The one area that we may differ in is the importance of poses of the figurine, in whether it is static or dramatic, etc.  Of great importance to me in a Smilodon figure is its morphology and scientific accuracy.  I do not think the Mojo Smilodon is perfect by any means. For one thing, I think that it's back legs are to long. Also I think it's tail is not great, particularly how the end is painted. Overall though I believe as yourself, it's one of the more accurate Smilodons available.   I am especially impressed with the Mojo cat's saber teeth. They are beautifully curved and knife like and I think so vastly superior to any other figurine in this area. I am also very impressed with its paint scheme. I am a big fan of Smilodons that are just plain tan in color more like a modern lion with no markings at all.
The biggest problem I have with so many Smilodon figurines made, is when they are sculpted slender and modern cat like in shape.  The experts have all stated that Smilodon was very stocky, more so even in its frontal regions and very different in morphology to modern day cats.  In this respect, I think the Carnegie Smilodon figurine is unbeatable. 
To answer your question of what I think of the Kaiyodo Smilodon, I will say I am not a fan of it. It's my humble opinion that this figurine has much to long legs, especially the back legs. I think it's morphology is more modern cat shaped and the mouth and head look odd to me.  The old Marx figure is way too slender in build, in fact that one looks too slender and thin for even a modern cat, let alone Smilodon.  The Kinto favorite Smilodon sculpting in my eyes is much to regular and modern cat like in morphology and with much too long back legs. In this figure, it looks like the back legs are even longer than the already too long front legs.  I realize my unfavorable reviews of all these particular Smilodonts sounds like a broken record,  to slender, modern cat like in morphology,  etc, etc.,  but these are areas I believe most Smilodon figurines are guilty of making their sculpting like.   I believe very few of them are sculpted correctly and with a stocky build.

My personal favorites are the Missing link, Mojo & Safari's Carnegie Smilodon.


Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:32 pm; edited 17 times in total
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus



Joined : 2011-11-24
Posts : 475

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:15 am

smilodoncalifornicus: Since you mainly collect smilodons, do you know of this model?  It seems to be the stocky build youre describing with heavy forequarters.
This is a 3D printed model in blue plastic, the seller makes prehistoric models and sells them on eBay.
Here is their store:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

all artwork belongs to eBay seller: tams7prairie
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
smilodoncalifornicus: Since you mainly collect smilodons, do you know of this model?  It seems to be the stocky build youre describing with heavy forequarters.
This is a 3D printed model in blue plastic, the seller makes prehistoric models and sells them on eBay.
Here is their store:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

all artwork belongs to eBay seller: tams7prairie
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]




Hello
No I haven't seen this sculpting of Smilodon.  Now that is quite impressive and I believe very good in morphology. I appreciate you posting these pictures. I would buy that sculpting in a second for my collection, and I will check out the link you sent. Very interesting. Wink
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus



Joined : 2011-11-24
Posts : 475

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Hello
No I haven't seen this sculpting of Smilodon.  Now that is quite impressive and I believe very good in morphology. I appreciate you posting these pictures. I would buy that sculpting in a second for my collection, and I will check out the link you sent. Very interesting. Wink

No problem, the seller doesn't list any smilodons at the moment but perhaps you can just message them and ask for another print.  I believe the model was 1/24th scale and around USD $20.
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Hello
No I haven't seen this sculpting of Smilodon.  Now that is quite impressive and I believe very good in morphology. I appreciate you posting these pictures. I would buy that sculpting in a second for my collection, and I will check out the link you sent. Very interesting. Wink

No problem, the seller doesn't list any smilodons at the moment but perhaps you can just message them and ask for another print.  I believe the model was 1/24th scale and around USD $20.



I will definately do that, and I love that scale. Thanks for all the info
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 am

Smilodon’s elongated canine teeth were more vulnerable to fracture than those of modern living felids, making it imperative for them to immobilize prey quickly with their forelimbs when making a kill.  As a result, Smilodon had very heavily muscled forelimbs which greatly exceeded those of modern felids. This cat used more of a wrestler style takedown method of prey than what modern cats used.
Smilodon differed from extant felids in its greater ability to subdue prey using the forelimbs. This enhanced forelimb strength was designed to minimize the struggles of prey in order to protect the elongate canines from fracture and position the sabers for a quick stabbing like kill, most likely in the side of the neck.  In order for this to be done, Smilodon had to have been very stocky in morphology up front compared to modern living big cats.

This above reference from a Paleontologist expert on Smilodon is why I think the morphology
of the Papo Smilodon figurine is so lousy and inaccurate.  The Papo Smilodon is the complete opposite of what we see referenced above, with skinny dog-like forelimbs and a terribly slender body type.


Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:06 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Interesting topic:)


Thanks Andreas
Back to top Go down
sabulia



Country/State : United Kingdom
Age : 64
Joined : 2014-07-29
Posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:24 am

What about the newish Favorite model and the excellent Dinotales (Kaiyodo) model?
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
What about the newish Favorite model and the excellent Dinotales (Kaiyodo) model?


Hello
I am not at all a fan of the Favorite model Smilodon or the Kaiyodo version.  I stated earlier in this  
discussion what I thought about these two figurines.  Both these two figures to me are much to regular and modern cat shaped with the wrong morphology completely, especially the Favorite Smilodon. In fact, I don't find anything that is accurate about the Favorite Smilodon , IMHO.  This is the one animal that I think companies have a very difficult time sculpting correctly.  
When it comes to mainstream Smilodon figures, I believe that only a very few are scientifically accurate at all.


Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
sabulia



Country/State : United Kingdom
Age : 64
Joined : 2014-07-29
Posts : 51

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Sorry I missed that text
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:06 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Sorry I missed that text

No problem at all
Back to top Go down
Tupolew Tu-154



Country/State : Airport
Age : 35
Joined : 2010-11-12
Posts : 680

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:31 am

I like the safari and the new collecta 2015 smilodon. The 2013 bullyland is ok, perhaps a juvenile or another breed of sabertooth cat.

The worst are the Mojo one, the Schleich one and the older one from Collecta.

_________________
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus



Country/State : USA Minnesota
Age : 50
Joined : 2014-09-11
Posts : 149

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Here is a slight revision of the best & worst mainstream Smilodonts based on scientific accuracy:
  

5 best  (in no particular order)


Mojo Smilodon
Safari Missing Link Smilodon (1997)
Safari Carnegie Smilodon (1988)
AAA Smilodon (large version)
1998 Bullyland Smilodon






5 worst  (in no particular order)


Papo Smilodon  
2013 Bullyland Smilodon
Schleich Smilodon
CollectA (2009)
Marx / MPC Smilodon

Kinto Favorite soft model Smilodon, imho, could easily be on the 5 worst list as well


Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:28 pm; edited 19 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Today at 3:06 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Smilodon figurine accuracy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Smilodon figurine accuracy
» Mojo lions, hyena, giraffes, beaver and smilodon... and the Fun started!!!
» Bonsai Figurine workshop
» polystone Seagull figurine
» What is your favourite Safari Ltd animal figurine???

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions-
Jump to: