Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Smilodon figurine accuracy

Go down 
+19
Melekh
AliceJoe
Bowhead Whale
landrover
Kikimalou
Roger
jarda
sbell
GiselleGazelle
scot(t)
john2xtheman
Wilorvise
Tupolew Tu-154
sabulia
elephas_maximus
Bloodrayne
widukind
SUSANNE
smilodoncalifornicus
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
smilodoncalifornicus wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
Bowhead Whale wrote:
At least, Smilodoncalifornicus, there ARE figures made of your favorite animal! Even though they are not so good. How do you think I feel, as a Bowhead Whale freak, hardly ever seeing a bowhead whale figure made? I would love to see more bowhead whale figures out there. Even if they are not all too good.

Well, I do hope they start making Bowhead whale figures by some mainstream companies
for you.

Thank you! Up to now, Larami made one, Safari ltd made one, Albert heijn made one, CollectA made one and I have two different Made in China models. That makes a total of six. Six different bowhead whale figures. Not bad, but not much.

Your welcome.  That is true, 6 different sculpts of that animal is not much.  I have about the same amount of Smilodonts
in my collection, even though there is probably 70 plus or more made.   I only want ones that have scientific accuracy.
Even out of the 6 or so I have, they aren't superb, but decent.

Do you own the Playmobil Smilodon?

I do not have that one.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Is it because you don't find it accurate or is it simply because you never had the chance to get one?
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:
Is it because you don't find it accurate or is it simply because you never had the chance to get one?

I never purchased that one because its much too toy-like and lacks any detail.  I don't find the figure very accurate overall. Its more of a toy than it is a static display figure.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
AliceJoe

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am

Great topic :)))) Just come here to view comments.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody is perfect but you're always my hero, only and forever.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 4:21 pm

AliceJoe wrote:
Great topic :)))) Just come here to view comments.

Thank you.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody is perfect but you're always my hero, only and forever.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Bowhead Whale wrote:

I never purchased that one because its much too toy-like and lacks any detail.  I don't find the figure very accurate overall. Its more of a toy than it is a static display figure.
Oh! So, you don't play with your toys; you just display them. Well, I'm a totally different collector because I do play with mine...
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 pm

[quote="Bowhead Whale"][quote="smilodoncalifornicus"]
Bowhead Whale wrote:

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Melekh

Melekh

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Now here is a good one.

Also in two different versions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Ohh, yes ! That is a true beauty !!!
But I think the price is also more beautyful than the mass produced plastic toy-models that we collect ? Wink

smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Melekh wrote:
Now here is a good one.

Also in two different versions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I agree.  This is a very impressive Smilodon Fatalis.  It is such a treat to finally see a Smilodon figure properly sculpted with a very bulky body, especially up front.  Overall a stunning figure.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:55 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 pm

If only there was a way we could know what color it was...
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 1:39 am

Bowhead Whale wrote:
If only there was a way we could know what color it was...

Yes, that would be so nice . It's really the only mystery about this cat's appearance.
Back to top Go down
CWGross

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyMon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 am

On the bright side, Papo should be doing a copy of that Sideshow Smilodon in the next couple years Wink
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm

I think Papo's 2017 Smilodon is the WORST Sabertooth figure I have ever seen. It is just ridiculous looking.
I cannot possibly take it seriously as a Smilodon figure.  I am completely baffled as to why any company nowadays would make a Smilodon that way.   What a mess. 

It is obvious that Papo was not interested in Scientific accuracy at all with this goofy figure. To myself, they are a company that makes a lot of fantasy figures.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
CWGross

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I think Papo's 2017 Smilodon is the WORST Sabertooth figure I have ever seen. It is just ridiculous
looking.  I cannot possibly take it seriously as a Smilodon figure.  I am completely baffled as to why any company nowadays would mold a Smilodon that way.  

It is obvious that Papo was not interested in Scientific accuracy at all with this figure. To myself, they are a company that makes a lot of fantasy figures.

Papo mostly just copycats. Most of their dinosaurs are copies of Jurassic Park. Their one Apatosaurus is a copy of a Sideshow figure. I'm half-tempted to start looking through old paintings of Cave Bears to see what they copied their new one from. When Papo tries to do something original, it mostly looks like crap... I can't take that new Smilodon seriously either. But hey, now that Sideshow made a new figure, maybe Papo will copy that too?
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 04, 2017 8:54 pm

CWGross wrote:
I think Papo's 2017 Smilodon is the WORST Sabertooth figure I have ever seen. It is just ridiculous
looking.  I cannot possibly take it seriously as a Smilodon figure.  I am completely baffled as to why any company nowadays would mold a Smilodon that way.  

It is obvious that Papo was not interested in Scientific accuracy at all with this figure. To myself, they are a company that makes a lot of fantasy figures.

Papo mostly just copycats. Most of their dinosaurs are copies of Jurassic Park. Their one Apatosaurus is a copy of a Sideshow figure. I'm half-tempted to start looking through old paintings of Cave Bears to see what they copied their new one from. When Papo tries to do something original, it mostly looks like crap... I can't take that new Smilodon seriously either. But hey, now that Sideshow made a new figure, maybe Papo will copy that too?

You may be right about them making a copy of the Sideshow Smilodon soon.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am

CWGross wrote:

It's true about their Preshistoric models, not about their wildlife series.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 19, 2020 7:30 pm

Tupolew Tu-154 wrote:
I like the safari and the new collecta 2015 smilodon. The 2013 bullyland is ok, perhaps a juvenile or another breed of sabertooth cat.

The worst are the Mojo one, the Schleich one and the older one from Collecta.

I completely disagree with you on the 2011 Mojo Smilodon.  I think that Sabertooth is one of the very best there is, easily in fact.  It has much more scientific accuracy than most mainstream figures of Smilodon do.   To my eyes the 2013 Bullyland one is terrible in scientific accuracy, just terrible.  It is silly looking even.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 31, 2022 9:57 pm

I believe the newest Mojo Smilodon has a few major flaws.  It’s front limbs are MUCH to long, as well as to slender.  To me, this Sabertooth figure looks like its on stilts.  It’s stance is much to tall off the ground.  I also think it’s head is slightly oversized in proportion to it’s body.   Based on what paleo-experts say,  Smilodon had very thick and muscular thoracic limbs that were also noticeably shorter in length than what modern day big cats have.  Smilodon also had a relatively small head compared to it’s body.  To this day, Smilodon figures continue to be sculpted wrong.

These are photos of my Mojo Smilodon.  I have greatly shortened it’s limbs as well as thickened the thoracic limbs a bit.  I cannot however do anything about the oversized head.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2022 12:42 am

It's a shame about the Smilodon. Hopefully we will see one from Eofauna

Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 26, 2023 12:50 am

This Smilodon is from the Wonders of the Wild series by Star Ace.  Sean Cooper is the sculptor.  It is absolutely magnificent.  This sculpt is exactly what I believe paleontologists describe when talking about Smilodon.  It is loaded with scientific accuracy.  I am truly amazed at this one.  Finally a Smilodon that has the proper massive stocky build, short powerful front limbs and huge shoulders.  Sean Cooper is so talented.  This one is just beautiful.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 26, 2023 6:25 pm

What do you think about the TNG one please?
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 27, 2023 1:19 am

Caracal wrote:

Hello;

I love the TNG Smilodon.  I have that one in my collection.  I think it’s very descent overall. It has a fairly stocky build and nice details.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 27, 2023 7:55 am

Caracal wrote:

Hello;

I love the TNG Smilodon.  I have that one in my collection.  I think it’s very descent overall. It has a fairly stocky build and nice details.

Thank you smilodoncalifornicus! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 28, 2023 12:30 am

Caracal wrote:
Caracal wrote:

Hello;

Thank you smilodoncalifornicus! Very Happy

Your welcome Caracal. I hope all is well with you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Smilodon figurine accuracy - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Smilodon figurine accuracy
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next