Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

sunny Suggestions for the SUY of July, click HERE sunny

Share | 

Smilodon figurine accuracy

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
At least, Smilodoncalifornicus, there ARE figures made of your favorite animal! Even though they are not so good. How do you think I feel, as a Bowhead Whale freak, hardly ever seeing a bowhead whale figure made? I would love to see more bowhead whale figures out there. Even if they are not all too good.

Well, I do hope they start making Bowhead whale figures by some mainstream companies
for you.

Thank you! Up to now, Larami made one, Safari ltd made one, Albert heijn made one, CollectA made one and I have two different Made in China models. That makes a total of six. Six different bowhead whale figures. Not bad, but not much.

Your welcome.  That is true, 6 different sculpts of that animal is not much.  I have about the same amount of Smilodonts
in my collection, even though there is probably 70 plus or more made.   I only want ones that have scientific accuracy.
Even out of the 6 or so I have, they aren't superb, but decent.

Do you own the Playmobil Smilodon?

I do not have that one.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Is it because you don't find it accurate or is it simply because you never had the chance to get one?
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Is it because you don't find it accurate or is it simply because you never had the chance to get one?

I never purchased that one because its much too toy-like and lacks any detail.  I don't find the figure very accurate overall. Its more of a toy than it is a static display figure.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
AliceJoe

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am

Great topic :)))) Just come here to view comments.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody is perfect but you're always [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], only and forever.
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Great topic :)))) Just come here to view comments.

Thank you. Welcome

___________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody is perfect but you're always [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], only and forever.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I never purchased that one because its much too toy-like and lacks any detail.  I don't find the figure very accurate overall. Its more of a toy than it is a static display figure.
Oh! So, you don't play with your toys; you just display them. Well, I'm a totally different collector because I do play with mine...
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Oh! So, you don't play with your toys; you just display them. Well, I'm a totally different collector because I do play with mine...

Yes, I guess I mainly display them. I do look at them quite frequently, and sometimes re arrange the collection.
Back to top Go down
Melekh

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Now here is a good one.

Also in two different versions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Ohh, yes ! That is a true beauty !!!
But I think the price is also more beautyful than the mass produced plastic toy-models that we collect ? Wink

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Now here is a good one.

Also in two different versions.

I agree.  Overall that is a very descent Smilodon Fatalis. This figure looks to have excellent scientific accuracy, with more diminutive rear areas and very stock frontal areas, with huge shoulders, and neck, shorter legs compared to extant big cats, and excellent saber teeth. A very good rendition. I myself wish they would of painted it plain coated, but overall, its great.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:55 pm

If only there was a way we could know what color it was...
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:39 am

If only there was a way we could know what color it was...

Yes, that would be so nice . It's really the only mystery about this cat's appearance.
Back to top Go down
CWGross

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:44 am

On the bright side, Papo should be doing a copy of that Sideshow Smilodon in the next couple years Wink
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm

I think Papo's 2017 Smilodon is the WORST Sabertooth figure I have ever seen. It is just ridiculous looking.
I cannot possibly take it seriously as a Smilodon figure.  I am completely baffled as to why any company nowadays would mold a Smilodon that way.   What a mess. 

It is obvious that Papo was not interested in Scientific accuracy at all with this figure. To myself, they are a company that makes a lot of fantasy figures.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
CWGross

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I think Papo's 2017 Smilodon is the WORST Sabertooth figure I have ever seen. It is just ridiculous
looking.  I cannot possibly take it seriously as a Smilodon figure.  I am completely baffled as to why any company nowadays would mold a Smilodon that way.  

It is obvious that Papo was not interested in Scientific accuracy at all with this figure. To myself, they are a company that makes a lot of fantasy figures.

Papo mostly just copycats. Most of their dinosaurs are copies of Jurassic Park. Their one Apatosaurus is a copy of a Sideshow figure. I'm half-tempted to start looking through old paintings of Cave Bears to see what they copied their new one from. When Papo tries to do something original, it mostly looks like crap... I can't take that new Smilodon seriously either. But hey, now that Sideshow made a new figure, maybe Papo will copy that too?
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:54 pm

I think Papo's 2017 Smilodon is the WORST Sabertooth figure I have ever seen. It is just ridiculous
looking.  I cannot possibly take it seriously as a Smilodon figure.  I am completely baffled as to why any company nowadays would mold a Smilodon that way.  

Papo mostly just copycats. Most of their dinosaurs are copies of Jurassic Park. Their one Apatosaurus is a copy of a Sideshow figure. I'm half-tempted to start looking through old paintings of Cave Bears to see what they copied their new one from. When Papo tries to do something original, it mostly looks like crap... I can't take that new Smilodon seriously either. But hey, now that Sideshow made a new figure, maybe Papo will copy that too?

You may be right about them making a copy of the Sideshow Smilodon soon.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am

It's true about their Preshistoric models, not about their wildlife series.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smilodon figurine accuracy   

Back to top Go down

Smilodon figurine accuracy
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3