Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains plastic crocodile colour variants

Go down 
+5
Roger
DaveScriv
Kikimalou
smallscaleworld
widukind
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2015 7:36 am

Thank you for the pics Dave. Very Happy

I saw several unpainted Starlux which was "escaped from the factory before painting" models in France. Couldn't it be the same thing here? Of course the white bear is really white scratch
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 10:49 pm

I do not want to break into this tread, but i wanted to show my variation on the Britains brown bear that i have, model 1336.
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 1336_Britains_vintage_Bruine_beren_1

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 2:31 pm

The difference is, varying shades of brown are well known in #1336 (I have 5 distinctive variations in my collection, more in my swaps boxes), as are various shades of cream in Britains polar bears, but a white polar bear is very unusual indeed.

There are several other farm and zoo animals which are regularly found in common shades, the farm Suffolk mare to give an example, but some shades are extreme and unusual.
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 5:00 am

Did you ment the 2108 model?

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 8:29 am

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
Did you ment the 2108 model?

Yes.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 6:34 pm

I’ve got a few versions of the Britains young crocodile too. It was made from 1961 until the end of 1971, first in polythene and then in PVC. The most common version is probably the polythene version in green plastic and painted yellow underneath:
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _ceb1_10
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _ceb3_10

The PVC version in green plastic and painted yellow underneath is also common:
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _cye1_10
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _cye3_10

I also have a polythene version that is painted in a cream colour underneath:
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _xj1_b10
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _xj3_b10

Then there is the “reversed” polythene version where the plastic is cream coloured and the dorsal side is painted green. The underside is unpainted. This one may be the same as one of Dave’s rare versions, though the green paint on mine seems to be glossier.
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _bvh1_10
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _bvh3_10

And finally, I’ve got a version in brown polythene with the underside painted yellow (mostly worn off):
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _czf1_10
Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 _czf3_10

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 6:59 pm

Very different colours versions! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 7:13 pm

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 7:21 pm

Interesting, defintely a young since that head shape doesn't work for a baby and a baby would be minuscule at this scale.
I remember finding variations such a weird things when I started collecting. It was hard for me to understand why people wanted so similar figures when there are many different to buy. Well, I was a baby collector then, not even a juvenile, now I obviously enjoy seeing people casting all variations and trying to locate them historically.

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 2:27 am

Roger wrote:

Well, I was a baby collector then, not even a juvenile,

Laughing Laughing Laughing so funny Roger!!

I've always loved variations. Maybe why I love herds and know that everyone is an individual in it Wink

I have some of these crocs. I will add mine when I have time. I've not seen the reverse green one before - great to know about it!
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 2:35 am

DaveScriv wrote:
I received an email reply from Barney Brown this morning, who says he "was not aware" of the Britains/Herald polar bear in white plastic, and guesses that it was either for a promo for another company or they simply ran out of the normal cream plastic one day, so did some in white plastic. So once again, we can assume that if Barney hadn't known about white bears, it must be a very rare item indeed.  cheers

I'm a bit sceptical about this 2nd suggestion because (1) it is unpainted - and if a simple substitution for cream plastic shortage reasons I would expect it to be painted on eyes, nose and mouth as usual, and (2) in 1960, when this would have been made, I'm told Britains usually had big stocks of everything, and the zoo range was a big seller, so I doubt they would have had plastic shortage problems at that time, and (3) because this bear came with the unpainted camels and baby rhino, this suggests to me the promo theory is more likely. Other unpainted Britains/Herald items are known in farm, soldiers, wild west, etc.

Perhaps a staff member decided to put a few models in their pocket, before they went out for painting? maybe even more so, because the polar bear was now in White plastic? Maybe they had a child at home who collected these?

Interesting to know that all of these peculiarities are knew to Barney Brown.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 5:21 pm

Thanks, Alain and Andreas!

Roger wrote:
It was hard for me to understand why people wanted so similar figures when there are many different to buy.

I didn't set out to collect Britains versions, but because Britains animals are normally sold in lots rather than individually, I ended up with many duplicates of the more common figures. Then I started realising that they are often not quite the same and I got interested in collecting different versions. I think it was a great thing, because it evoked my interest in the history of the figures, in the history of Britains and the history of animal figures in general.

sunny wrote:
DaveScriv wrote:
I received an email reply from Barney Brown this morning, who says he "was not aware" of the Britains/Herald polar bear in white plastic, and guesses that it was either for a promo for another company or they simply ran out of the normal cream plastic one day, so did some in white plastic. So once again, we can assume that if Barney hadn't known about white bears, it must be a very rare item indeed.  cheers

I'm a bit sceptical about this 2nd suggestion because (1) it is unpainted - and if a simple substitution for cream plastic shortage reasons I would expect it to be painted on eyes, nose and mouth as usual, and (2) in 1960, when this would have been made, I'm told Britains usually had big stocks of everything, and the zoo range was a big seller, so I doubt they would have had plastic shortage problems at that time, and (3) because this bear came with the unpainted camels and baby rhino, this suggests to me the promo theory is more likely. Other unpainted Britains/Herald items are known in farm, soldiers, wild west, etc.

Perhaps a staff member decided to put a few models in their pocket, before they went out for painting? maybe even more so, because the polar bear was now in White plastic? Maybe they had a child at home who collected these?

Your suggestion is quite plausible, Annette. I have quite a few unpainted Britains. For a long time, I wondered why they remained unpainted, until I bought some from a seller who said his grandmother had worked at Britains. Then I found another seller who also said they came from someone who worked in the factory. And I found a bunch that also had some partially painted figures. Peter Cole says that workers didn't paint the figures in the factory, but took them home to paint them, so it isn't so surprising that they sometimes lost or kept them.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 5:57 pm

Very very interresting Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 6:28 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:

Your suggestion is quite plausible, Annette. I have quite a few unpainted Britains. For a long time, I wondered why they remained unpainted, until I bought some from a seller who said his grandmother had worked at Britains. Then I found another seller who also said they came from someone who worked in the factory. And I found a bunch that also had some partially painted figures. Peter Cole says that workers didn't paint the figures in the factory, but took them home to paint them, so it isn't so surprising that they sometimes lost or kept them.

ah yes, I'd read that here - so maybe they just 'kept a few'. I'm sure it was like working (for)/in a sweetie shop - where all the products are tempting and the staff have sticky fingers Wink

They are very attractive after all Very Happy

well actually what I mean to say instead of sticky fingers, as it sounds a little rude, is that they have squirrel tendencies Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Britains plastic crocodile colour variants   Britains plastic crocodile colour variants - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains plastic crocodile colour variants
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2