Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
bounce bounce bounce Please check here the incredible line-up of Safari LTD for 2017! bounce bounce bounce

Share | 

A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 pm

I'll use this topic to share images of the dinosaurs I've sculpted. I wrote a bit about it at the Dinosaur Toy Forum; I'll repeat that and the images here: So far I've done 3 figures (plus a few tiny ones). They are my first attempts at creating dinosaur models. My goal was to make 1:40 scale figures of species I wanted, as lifelike and accurate as I could, to fit alongside my other dinosaur figures. For the most part I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.

First is my recently finished Gorgosaurus libratus. It is around 7.5 inches, or 1:40 for an animal 25-30 feet long. I actually started it over a year ago, and at the time I didn't anticipate very many feathered tyrannosaurs becoming available as models, so I wanted one in my collection as an alternative reconstruction. Anyway, as the subject of integument style preferences comes up from time to time, I'll let this speak as my interpretation for tyrannosaur feathers, if they are going to be on a model. Feathers are absent on the feet, gular skin, and parts of the snout and undersides. I opted for a subtly striped paint scheme, with signaling highlights on the arms, beneath the lacrimal crests, and a bit on the tail.

My other challenge was to make a free-standing figure with a life-like posture and proportional feet out of solid material, so on this one I used solid polymer clay rather than filler materials inside. A lesson I learned: I had to put the sculpture aside for a long time before completion, and I left some of the clay for the head uncured; during storage it became predictably crumbly and caused problems for continuing the head sculpt, but  it turned out okay. (I'll add: the situation for copies is the same as for my modern animals- I'm figuring out one thing at a time sculpture-wise. Neutral )

There's quite a few images here, but my preference for pictures is too many rather than too few. Laughing  I learned a lot from making these, and I hope to keep improving, so comments and criticism are more than welcome.  Very Happy

Last edited by A.R.Garcia on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:24 pm

(My favorite portrait  Very Happy )

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Andy? Wow, what a great dinosaur! Shocked That's not a gorgosaurus but a gorgeousaurus instead. Very Happy I like the pose, expression and the updated looking of it! cheers

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:30 pm

Here are some outside pictures. The third down is my diorama, "Fearsome tyrant's pass". I like how the last two turned out. I re-sized them to 800px here- they can be seen a little larger at the DTF.

The Lambeosaurus will be next...

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Wow, looks so impresive.
Your work is amazing.
Great cheers

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:08 am

Excellent work! It reminds me of John Conway's style. I also enjoyed seeing your "prairie town" last year.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:16 am

Great work! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Wilorvise

Country/State : Michigan, USA

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:01 am

Fabulous. I should be glad my son is elsewhere or he'd be begging me for it...

Country/State : USA/Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:31 am

What brand of clay did you use?
Back to top Go down
Fisva

Country/State : Poland

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW Shocked Shocked Shocked
FANTASTIC!!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:42 am

Beautiful dinosaur! Congratulations! Are going to make copies of this lovely sculpture? Very Happy

http://www.horseandbird.com
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:59 am

A really phantastic figurine!!!

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:28 am

Me, oh my !!!! Shocked Shocked

A gorgeousaurus indeed cheers

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 am

Fantatsic job! Shocked Shocked and your photos Applause Just perfect!

I might be an awkward person but that's me and I'm not gonna change myself
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:35 pm

It's great Applause don't apologise for so many photos, I like seeing the whole process. Well done on the texturing of feathers and scales together to get such a natural look.
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
Robert

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Amazing work! Applause
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Nice to see again your works with these outdoor pictures. Very Happy This dinosaur is truly impressive! cheers

Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:31 am

Sorry I can't help... About criticism Wink

I like it, the pose looks so natural. Very Happy The feathers are delicious, especially on the arms, we used to see this kind of arms on raptors and you had an excellent idea to make a tyrannosaurid with this feature Applause

Thank you for the making off Very Happy

I can't wait to watch more topics Wink

A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks for commenting, Rogério, costicuba, Geospiza fortis, LeeAnn, Laura, jhudstone, Agata, Anna, Andreas, Susanne, Jonas, MiniZoo, Robert, and Christophe! Very Happy cheers

Roger: I'm sure it will be happy to have this nickname. Laughing

Kosta: Thanks, I don't think I've mentioned I also like your painting.

Geospiza: I've admired John Conway's artwork for years, so I imagine there's some influence and also shared preferences/taste. I hope to revisit the prairie town more in the future.

Laura: You'll have to buy your son a feathered theropod- it seems we'll be getting more choices as time goes on, so he won't have to make his own one day. Razz

Jhudstone: If you look at the third picture: the black is "craft smart"(through Michaels stores), the off-white is Sculpey III- these were for the insides. The white and gray are Premo! from Sculpey, used for the rest- I found the white to be firmer and the gray softer when working, so I chose them for different sections based on ease of use or detailing. For me, trying Premo was a big deal- because it is a bit flexible after curing (reminding me of mass-produced figures), it encouraged me to start sculpting details I was afraid to otherwise. Do you sculpt? (p.s.- hello neighbor!)

Anna: I don't have the set-up or expertise yet. Sad

MiniZoo&Kikimalou: Thanks, the feather/scale aspect was an important focus on this one; as you know interpretations can vary and I wanted to do something that felt right for me. For arms: due to the different lineages I didn't assume raptor-like feather arrangement (as inferred from Microraptor, etc.), but a display function for the mysterious tyrannosaur arms could be aided by longer feathers, hence the "wings" on this model.

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:01 am

Here's my Lambeosaurus lambei, a crested hadrosaur ("duck-billed" dinosaur) from late Cretaceous North America. It is just over 7 inches long, representing an animal about 25 feet long at around 1:40. This was my first dinosaur sculpture at this size, and possibly as a result I am the least satisfied with it (though I'm still happy with it). I used this study as a guide for forelimb posture; I don't think this form is represented in many models or toys. I put visible claws or hooves on the two inner digits of each hand. The pose, with a raised forelimb and tilted-back head, is not intended as a walking/running pose (as I attempted in some of the photos with the Gorgosaurus) but as a possible feeding or calling pose.

Soft tissue for display partly obscures the bony shape of the head crest, both in front and as a frill connected to the back. The color takes partial inspiration from some waterfowl and iguanas who can be quite colorful. The main problems I have with the sculpture are bits of the texturing (the face, and I believe there is evidence against scute-like scales on the hind feet), and the beak (I think its shape should be different, as seen in some of the images here and in some reconstructions).

Again I'd appreciate any ideas or advice that could be used in future models (or even species ideas). Wink

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:02 am

These two are just closer up with slight changes. I was trying to figure out what I like, or not, about the figure:

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:04 am

Since I haven't put up a topic for my outdoor pictures yet, here are two more from when I was doing the diorama picture- in the second one I think the Gorgosaurus is just picking up the scent of the Lambeosaurus. Laughing

Thanks for looking! Smile

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:56 am

Wonderful!!

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Cool colour scheme!
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:56 pm

It's amazing what you made here. Everything down to the process pics, the feathering, the skin texture, the poses, the little tiny teeth, the paintings... drunken Fantastic Job!!! Applause

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Today at 5:44 pm

Back to top Go down

A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next