Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 

A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed 19 Nov 2014, 15:09

This is fantastic! Very Happy Very nice photos of a great model!

I might be an awkward person but that's me and I'm not gonna change myself
Back to top Go down
paleoferroequine

Country/State : USA Missouri

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed 19 Nov 2014, 18:05

Both of these figures are really good, one thing I like is you didn't put a crest on Gorgy! I see that too much on figures lately, it often looks like it was just stuck on with no rhyme or reason. -cough, cough- Collecta Therizinosaurus.   Keep up the good work! Applause Applause
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed 19 Nov 2014, 18:21

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed 19 Nov 2014, 23:11

Wonderful colors and pose in this lambeosaurus. Very Happy I enjoy all movement present in that figure and in some close ups it feels real. Very Happy
But again I love your gorgeosaurus Wink ... as I am not an expert with dinos I give my opinion in accordance with my feeling and not with my knowledge. So I can say that it is the most exciting tyrannosaurid I have ever seen. cheers

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Thu 20 Nov 2014, 01:43

I like your lambeosaurus! (It was the best dinosaur Laughing ) Is there any evidence to support the back part of the crest being connected to some sort of soft tissue? I see some restorations with and some without it.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Thu 20 Nov 2014, 16:36

Amazing Lambeosaurus!! cheers And I just LOVE the colours you chose for this dino!!! cheers Great work!!! Very Happy

http://www.horseandbird.com
A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 22 Nov 2014, 19:44

Thanks for the comments, Andreas, MiniZoo, Saarlooswolfhound, Jonas, paleoferroequine, LeeAnn, Rogério, Geospiza fortis, and Anna. Very Happy

I'm glad the colors are well-received- it is a bit of an individual. jocolor

Paleoferroequine: Yes, there are some feather highlights on the back of the head but this Gorgosaurus is mainly showing off with other parts of its head. I understand what you mean about some reconstructions- in some art the feathers are quite messy compared to what you see in living animals, and sometimes it even looks like they're wearing weird clothing accessories. Laughing

Rogério: Thank you- given the popularity of tyrannosaurids that means a lot. Embarassed  I'm happy if my attempts at accurate models also appeal to one's feelings/aesthetics.

Geospiza: I don't think there is evidence for this species. In the related Corythosaurus, a dorsal skin frill is known from a well-preserved specimen, though I don't think it was preserved in the head/neck area. I did a Google book search for "Corythosaurus frill" so you can see a few comments here and here. I see that in his Princeton field guide Greg Paul has frills connected to the crest/skull of all the lambeosaurines, but of course others reconstruct it differently. My thought for connecting it to the prong on the crest is that since this part of the crest is variable in growth between individuals, when it is longer it could raise the profile of the entire neck when the frill is connected to it, making the individual appear larger or something of that sort.

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 22 Nov 2014, 23:37

I guess it would only make sense for the frill to connect with the crest like that, sort of like some parasaurolophus reconstructions. Keep up the good work. Cool
Back to top Go down
kudu11

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Mon 24 Nov 2014, 00:53

Lovely sculptures and photos cheers
I can't wait to see more of your sculptures.
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 00:15

Thanks Geospiza and Kudu11.

Here are pictures of my Tuojiangosaurus multispinus, a stegosaur from the late Jurassic, found in China. It is around 1:40 (maybe a little larger). I tried to give it a contented appearance. There is drying mud painted on the legs and feet. As a skeletal reference for relative proportions I found Scott Hartman's drawing valuable, while the posture and photo angles of skeletal mounts made these trickier to use as a guide for this animal. I referred to this study for the forefeet. It may have had shoulder spines. I think it is interesting to see the similarities to, and differences from, its most famous relative (including its head and body shape).

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 00:18

I like the way these portraits turned out:

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 00:24

I never expected this figure would get such a great companion for display: the Battat Dacentrurus armatus. Here they are, creating lovely spiky shadows together Very Happy :

In my 2013 DTF diorama, Multispinus Mudbathers, I combined two photos and digitally added more mud on the background dinosaur:

The little theropods were created rather quickly as props; I like them but their eyes look a bit empty up close. They are quite small, just under 3.5 cm.

Wink Allopreening:

Going for a ride:

Okay, I hope you enjoy the pictures. Next I have to make something new. Smile

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 08:06

Very nice:)

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 08:48

Wow, this is great!! And I love your pictures! cheers
Back to top Go down
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 09:43

Great work, wonderful! cheers

http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:13

@A.R.Garcia wrote:

Sharky... Why I need to call it Sharky ??? Laughing  May I call it Sharky ? Wink

Sharky is really beautiful, Il love the natural pose and the head is absolutely delicious Applause Applause Applause

I alos love the small raptors, I hope you will make some bigger ones in that style drunken

A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 19:59

Thanks so much, Andreas, Shanti, Anna, and Christophe.

Christophe: Sharky is fine. (For some reason it makes me wonder what a hippo with dorsal fins would look like...) I've thought about doing a larger raptor. Probably a Deinonychus (it was one of my favorites as a young child, even before everyone started calling it "Velociraptor" Laughing ) Actually a whole series of species would be great in order to see the differences in size, head shape, etc. But I think an Iguanodon will be next.

Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sat 24 Jan 2015, 23:55

Andy, superb works and pictures! It is really pleasant to see all these crations ingeniously poictured like that. Thanks also for additional links! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 00:27

Very nice tuojiangosaurus! Did you sculpt the scales one-by-one, or was there a stamp? Also, how were you able to balance the gorgosaurus? Keep up the awesome work!
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 03:21

Thank you both for the kind words!

Rogério: I think both the stegosaur and hadrosaur forelimb studies are interesting. The conclusions make a lot of sense when someone specifically shows/discusses how the bones fit most naturally, but it's not evident in most reconstructions or museum mounts. Of course I love Scott Hartman's work. It's generous of him to make it accessible online and it's worth looking through for anyone interested in dinosaurs.

Geospiza: It was some of each. I have some little stubs of clay with different textures I made with a toothpick- the one that was most useful for Sharky can be seen at the very bottom of the photo below. I also used a toothpick in some places and to accentuate some scales, and a little scrap of sandpaper in creases, etc.

I intentionally didn't use filler like cardboard/foil for the Gorgosaurus because I wanted to learn how to balance a solid figure while staying true to its anatomy. I knew it could be done but I just had to experiment with clay on the "skeleton" to get the feet to balance with the head and tail. After baking I needed to make some adjustments on the foot pads. It stands okay now but a mass-produced figure done the same way could have problems because of variation or warping. It would actually match a theropod's anatomy to have the front end filled with lighter material with their "front heavy" posture.

Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 03:39

I love Iguanodon Very Happy maybe because I'm living not so far from Bernissart Wink I can't wait to watch yours cheers

Wilorvise

Country/State : Michigan, USA

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Sun 25 Jan 2015, 03:47

Enthralling. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Tue 27 Jan 2015, 23:24

@Kikimalou wrote:
I love Iguanodon Very Happy  maybe because I'm living not so far from Bernissart Wink  I can't wait to watch yours cheers

That's great! This is the Iguanodon I had in mind. Have you visited the fossils? The skeletons at Brussels look beautiful in the pictures.

@Wilorvise wrote:
Enthralling. Very Happy

sunny
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Wed 28 Jan 2015, 10:55

There's a lot to like about this model. You've definitely captured the contented look, the body position is nice and dynamic - not just straight, the spikes are fantastic too. The black and white photos are very dramatic!! Always a treat to see your work cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)   Today at 16:02

Back to top Go down

A's dinosaur sculptures (Jan. 23- Tuojiangosaurus)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2