Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Asking your help to solve Photobucket problem

Share | 

COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:32

exclamation 88715 SMILODON
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
exclamation 88723 DAEODON

Last edited by LukaLeon085 on Sat 15 Nov 2014, 09:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 12:11

I like daeodon, nice pose and colouring Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 12:31

They look fantastic! Very Happy

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 12:35

Daeodon looks exagerated more in accordance with pop culture, though, I love pose and legs. pig Smilodon looks a Percheron! Laughing Nice figure however. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 13:41

Stunning beasts!

Back to top Go down
Robert

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 14:45

Amazing !
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 14:57

I love the Daeodon. As for the Smilodon, I think its a vast improvement on the silly looking one
CollectA previously did, but still not nearly as accurate as Mojo Fun's Smilodon by any means.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 19:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joan Milelire

Country/State : Catalonia, Spain

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:04

I like Daeodon very much. Seems a very good model for that picture and the another one posted. Texture is good. Maybe I have prefer with a closed mouth (why a lot of prehistoric models appears so many times with the mouth opened?- no answer necessary, all of us know it Rolling Eyes )
Smilodon is like a big bobcat. I will need more pictures Very Happy

my handmade models: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]     my models in facebook: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://bestiari.weebly.com/
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:13

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I like Daeodon very much. Seems a very good model for that picture and the another one posted. Texture is good. Maybe I have prefer with a closed mouth (why a lot of prehistoric models appears so many times with the mouth opened?- no answer necessary, all of us know it Rolling Eyes )

I agree Joan. A Bobcat's markings look just like that.  I still don't understand the great need to make Smilodon's coat with markings, when they haven't a clue if it had markings at all.  I think its a much safer bet to keep the coat just plain tan.
Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:23

Interesting :)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:30

I agree Joan. A Bobcat's markings look just like that.   I still don't understand the great need to make Smilodon's coat with markings, when they haven't a clue if it had markings at all.  I think its a much safer bet to keep the coat just plain tan.

I agree it looks like a Lynx/bobcat, just supersized and with much much larger teeth.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 15:40

Overall, this new CollectA Smilodon is a decent casting. Its certainly one of the better Smilodonts from a mainstream toy company.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 19:27; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 16:42

The Daedon looks wonderful.
He's got happy feet!
I can imagine him doing some dancing steps while singing a Sinatra song. Laughing
I do hope he will not be too big for my collection, being Deluxe and all.

Country/State : Slovakia

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 18:27

Excellent cheers cheers cheers I love you

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 20:32

Both look very interesting,like the Smilodon a lot!!

Country/State : Czech Republic

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 20:56

I like this Smilodon figure because of his cat-like (not bear-like) character.

Regarding the marking - there were more species with *probably* diferent coat, see:

This CollectA figure is similar to S. fatalis (the larger S. populator has *probably* more lion-like coat).
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 21:04

I like this Smilodon figure because of his cat-like (not bear-like) character.

Regarding the marking - there were more species with *probably* diferent coat, see:

This CollectA figure is similar to S. fatalis (the larger S. populator has *probably* more lion-like coat).

I think its a safer bet to make Smilodon Fatalis without markings of any kind.  There are many paleontologists that do not agree with the spot or stripe theory for Smilodon Fatalis. This is something that nobody will ever be completely certain on.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 19:32; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 21:32

I'm very happy to watch these two models, I guess I will find a place for them at home Very Happy

Daeodon looks exagerated more in accordance with pop culture, though, I love pose and legs. pig Smilodon looks a Percheron! Laughing Nice figure however. Very Happy

We are often on the same mood Rogério but in this case I don't think this daedon is exaggerated. It is of course different from the Mojo one but I think both are true to the skeleton. Very Happy And I like the pose Wink

I agree Joan. A Bobcat's markings look just like that.   I still don't understand the great need to make Smilodon's coat with markings, when they haven't a clue if it had markings at all.  I think its a much safer bet to keep the coat just plain tan.

Of course marking or not is a matter of taste and we will probably never know the truth, unless we find an Ice preserved fossil. Nevertheless most of the Feliformians are marked, unmarked ones like lion or puma are the exception. Even young lions are marked... Wink

Tupolew Tu-154

Country/State : Airport

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 22:03

WOW WOW
Must have for me. They look great. The miocene grows and the pleistocene too. Yeah.
Back to top Go down
signatus

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Fri 07 Nov 2014, 23:18

I like both figures. Very Happy But it would be nice if some brand has made a smilodon with his mouth closed, I think the appearance of the head would be more harmonious and interesting.

Anyway I think I'll get both. Rolling Eyes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Likaon - Wildlife Models Shop [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My homemade models : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://signatustudio.com
MARTINLATIN

Country/State : CALIFORNIA

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Sat 08 Nov 2014, 04:09

Those are also a must have too!!!
Back to top Go down
pm64

Country/State : Firenze,Italy

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Sat 08 Nov 2014, 09:53

I love them both drunken ...more space needed in my shelves! cheers
Back to top Go down
STORMnl

Country/State : Nijmegen-Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Sat 08 Nov 2014, 21:46

these two are a must have

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Sat 08 Nov 2014, 23:28

Of course marking or not is a matter of taste and we will probably never know the truth, unless we find an Ice preserved fossil. Nevertheless most of the Feliformians are  marked, unmarked ones like lion or puma are the exception. Even young lions are marked... Wink

Christophe, you captured exactly my thoughts. I don't have a problem (in principle) with companies making markings on the Smilodon. I quite like the markings on this CollectA model.

I do think a model with a closed mouth would be wonderful though. But I'll certainly be getting this CollectA Smilodon.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Sun 09 Nov 2014, 04:53

Scott... I agree with you Laughing

Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Sun 09 Nov 2014, 13:39

I'm very happy to watch these two models, I guess I will find a place for them at home  Very Happy

We are often on the same mood Rogério but in this case I don't think this daedon is exaggerated. It is of course different from the Mojo one but I think both are true to the skeleton.  Very Happy  And I like the pose  Wink

With the exception of the head, I like very much this daeodon, actually it fits a lot with "my style", head features look exagerated in my view but I am sure after your walk around I'll be able of checking it better once a single catalogue picture is not clear enough.

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Sun 09 Nov 2014, 21:20

... And I agree with you, Christophe! lol! lol! lol!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Mon 10 Nov 2014, 06:31

With the exception of the head, I like very much this daeodon, actually it fits a lot with "my style", head features look exagerated in my view but I am sure after your walk around I'll be able of checking it better once a single catalogue picture is not clear enough.

Maybe I'm wrong but I still don't think the head is too big, the main difference with the Mojo is the thickness of the neck, not the head so much.

It is often the same with wild boar, some seems to have shorterneck or bigger head, it is often an illusion due to the neck's thickness.

I will make a walkaround as soon as I can catch one Laughing

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Mon 10 Nov 2014, 07:10

... And I agree with you, Christophe! lol! lol! lol!

I agree with you too Sergey. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Mon 10 Nov 2014, 18:09

I am beginning to like the new CollectA Smilodon more, but I still need more pictures of it.  The saber teeth do not look right compared to the beautifully curved knife like ones on the Mojo cat
figurine.  The CollectA Smilodon's sabers look too straight in the stock photo.

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 20:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Mon 10 Nov 2014, 18:57

I agree for the teeth, I hope they will be more curved Very Happy

Even if some are far less curved than they supposed to be [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

smilodoncalifornicus

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Mon 10 Nov 2014, 20:12

Thats a good pont Christophe.  The CollectA Smilodon sabers are even less curved than the picture on the left.  The real Smilodon's sabers are shaped more like a backward curved knife and they are narrow from side to side but thicker from front to back

Last edited by smilodoncalifornicus on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 13:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paleoferroequine

Country/State : USA Missouri

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Mon 10 Nov 2014, 23:23

Well, I'm happy for these, .....except... they got the feet wrong on Daeodon! Arrgh! Entelodonts have digits 3 and 4 touching the ground only, digits 2 and 5 are vestigial. They won't show. These feet look like pigs feet! They shouldn't. Mojo got the feet wrong last year on the Hyaenodon. I think I have a foot fetish when it comes to prehistoric animals! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by paleoferroequine on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 16:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Tue 11 Nov 2014, 01:06

Well, I'm happy for these, .....except... they got the feet wrong on Daeodon! Arrgh! Entelodonts have digits 3 and 4 touching the ground only, digits 2 and 5 are vestigial. They won't show. These feet look like pigs feet! They shouldn't. Mojo got the feet wrong last year on the Hyaenodon. I think I have a foot festish when it comes to prehistoric animals! Rolling Eyes

Actually, as a feet and number of toes or if they're vestigial or not are very important to determine taxonomically a species, their connection and their place along the evolution. In prehistoric reconstructions, it can determine which current species are used as a reference to the prehistoric animal. Thus, I don't think it is a minor thing. :)

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   Tue 11 Nov 2014, 08:08

Well, I'm happy for these, .....except... they got the feet wrong on Daeodon! Arrgh! Entelodonts have digits 3 and 4 touching the ground only, digits 2 and 5 are vestigial. They won't show. These feet look like pigs feet! They shouldn't. Mojo got the feet wrong last year on the Hyaenodon. I think I have a foot festish when it comes to prehistoric animals! Rolling Eyes

Suspect Shocked study What a Face You are right. Now I can't see other things than the feet Wink

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.   

Back to top Go down

COLLECTA 2015: PREHISTORIC LIFE - SMILODON AND DAEODON.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1