Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...

Go down 
+4
landrover
Roger
Ana
LeeAnn
8 posters
AuthorMessage
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... Empty
PostSubject: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi guys, every now and then, i stumble up on some things, and of course i have to share it with you guys of course. For the newbees here who don't know me, my name is Willy from the Netherlands(former Zooman on facebook), and maybe even some of the "older" boys and girls are forgotten me... Rolling Eyes Wink
I bought a lot of metal models here for about 16 euro's, because i thought i had some nice old Britains models in that lot.
Now afterwards, i think they are all knock-offs of several older brands, but what the heck, i have 21 new models.
The metal underneath is shinier, so i think they company that copied them used pewter instead of lead, much cheaper, and probably safer.
I recognised some old Britains models immediatly(they are still marked so, but not very clear as you might aspect with copies), some Lineol or/and Hausser Elastolins, and maybe even some other brands.
Although they look old by the way of painting, the paint is to shiny i think, so they can't be very old.
They are rough on  the edges also, not worn of as older toys would have been, and in to good knick to be fair.
But if anybody knows about this brand that makes these copies, please let me know.
Anyway, here they are.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The whole lot

Again

Giraffe

Austrich, maybe Hausser or lineol copy

Red Deer  

Lion, most probably a metal copy of the composition Hausser or Lineol model

White Stork

Kangaroo

Giant Anteater, lloks like a Hausser copy to me

Hippo

Indian rhino

Asian Elephant Calf, Britains copy

Lion

Leopard, again a copy of a composition model if you ask me

Wild Boar, 100% a Britains knock-off

Bison

Nile Crocodile, Lineol or Hausser copy

Californian Sealion

Giant Tortoise, again 100% Britains copy

Zebra

Llama from cart-ride, can be lots of English companies copied here...

Brown Bear in Polarbear-shape, as we saw so often in those days

White Pelican

The ones from which i know(at least 3 of them) are Britains copies

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Willy! No one would forget you! Very Happy Nice to see you back, I hope you stay around a little longer Wink

Congrats, great catches. cheers

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 9:27 pm

Thank you Lee Ann, well, i do look into here now and then, but lack time, and i don't buy very much actually, so not much to share with you guys! Laughing

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Yay, Willy is back in town!! Applause cheers cheers cheers

Great newcomers!! Big congrats! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 9:56 pm

For today, yes, haha... Wink

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 10:13 pm

They all look genuine to me, and none are rare or valuable enough to be worth faking (the rarest being the lying lion). Several old UK lead companies copied designs (usually simplified a bit) from Elastolin, Lineol, and others, no problem with that.

The 3 Britains animals you've identified, so on to the others.

Most were made by Charbens: giraffe, ostrich, red deer, standing lion, stork, (giant!) pelican, kangaroo, anteater, hippo, rhino, leopard and croc.
Charbens' zoo range were very much TOYS, and they didn't even try to make them accurate or to constant scale.
The company was owned by brothers Charles and Benjamin Reid, hence the company name CharBens. Some of their figures are marked underneath 'RD', short for their surname Reid.

Bison and lying Lion made by Pixyland/Kew (Kew took over Pixyland, and as few are marked, collectors lump both ranges together). Lying Lion is rarish, as in excellent condition I'd guess worth about UK£30

Seal, Zebra, Llama and Brown Bear all by Taylor & Barrett (or their post WW2 format of 2 separate companies).

You got a real bargain Willy, the lot probably worth more than 200 Euros. Applause
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 10:45 pm

Thank you very much for the information Dave! Still i have my doubts if they are really old or not, as the metal under the paints i shiny lightgrey as in pewter, instead of a darker shade in lead models. But maybe i am lucky to have found some models in a good state(most).
When they are really from the time they were made, then i had the luck that the former owners kept them in a good shape. cheers

It was not for the money of course, but is always nice to find a nice deal.
I forgot to tell indeed which marks were under them, indeed RD as you mentioned, some with only COPYRIGHT, and the Britains with their old stamp of course.
I just looked before under my old Britains lions, and i have to conclude that the type of metal must be the same, so again, i think i was lucky. cheers bounce king king drunken

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Oh i forgot Dave, could you tell me in which years or time-span these models all are been made, sorry for the research and work, but i really don't have a real clue, ok, between the 1930's and the early 1960's, but that is not quit accurate... Shocked

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 pm

Willy, it is nice to see you're posting even it is only today. I think every members from the time where you were a hot poster do remember you and most of the new members do it too. Before I know STS, I ad already searched on the web and I concluded that you were the "biggest" collector of the world. I remember commenting with some friends how huge your collection was. Only after it I contacted Ken and he pointed me this forum where you were already a member. Laughing
These figures are really interesting and it is good to know that you continue making good deals. I think in our old times, noone but Christophe could help you identifying some vintage figures, fortunately now we have some more members like Dave with a fabulous knowledge about these old figures. Very Happy

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 1:07 am

Thank you ver much my old friend, yes we go back also, like Christophe and i also... Yes, i could make a good deal indeed this time, you have to be lucky and go for your gutt-feeling sometimes, even when collecting is at a low grade at this moment.
I tried to keep up with Schleich at least, but still need some models from last year, not even talking about this year or next year, and other brands are far away right now.
I just can't manage to do everything, and i still have a package or 2 lying around, one came back from Russia(i think it was Daria or so), and one has to go to Germany(Phillip), for which i bought some old composition models with smaller damage.
Phil from Miami still has to get money from me, and Ana also, although i can manage that from here, i want to visit her, and buy some new stuff also. So many things to clear up, but that was not the reason i left here, just to much things on my head, and still in a mental depression also, but fighthing back as much as possible. See you guys!

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 1:24 am

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
Thank you ver much my old friend, yes we go back also, like Christophe and i also... Yes, i could make a good deal indeed this time, you have to be lucky and go for your gutt-feeling sometimes, even when collecting is at a low grade at this moment.
I tried to keep up with Schleich at least, but still need some models from last year, not even talking about this year or next year, and other brands are far away right now.
I just can't manage to do everything, and i still have a package or 2 lying around, one came back from Russia(i think it was Daria or so), and one has to go to Germany(Phillip), for which i bought some old composition models with smaller damage.
Phil from Miami still has to get money from me, and Ana also, although i can manage that from here, i want to visit her, and buy some new stuff also. So many things to clear up, but that was not the reason i left here, just to much things on my head, and still in a mental depression also, but fighthing back as much as possible. See you guys!

Willy, I always learned that one of the best ways to fight against depressions is to keep our lifes busy with a hobby we enjoy. Mainly collecting. I know it is much easier to tell and probably it doesn't work always. Supposing we are depressed because of lack of money reasons, so it is also hard to keep collecting. I find my collecting hobby as a very good way in my case, I don't use to feel depressed and I don't remember being close from a depression even when things are very hard, though, I use my collection a lot to distract myself, maybe I'm using it too much! Laughing Even when I take a long time without a single adition, I feel glad seeing all people here happy getting new figures and check all new and old things we always have to learn about this hobby. OK, I have a lot of free time to be here and that doesn't happen with everyone. But you know we're a supportive community and I am sure you have much more to enjoy being here than being not. Well, as long as you can control your eagerness of having more and more figures! Laughing I hope you feel better soon and I want to warrant that you're still an important member to our community and that your presence here represents a big joy to many of us. monkey Very Happy

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 1:59 am

These models was the pioneers of our collections. cheers cheers

Thanks for sharing.

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 5:15 am

Ana wrote:
Yay, Willy is back in town!! Applause cheers cheers cheers

Great newcomers!! Big congrats! cheers
I will say the same:)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 am

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
Oh i forgot Dave, could you tell me in which years or time-span these models all are been made, sorry for the research and work, but i really don't have a real clue, ok, betwwen the 1930's and the early 1960's, but that is not quit accurate... Shocked

Regarding dates:

Britains: 1930-40, stopped for WW2, then again 1947-59, then changed to plastic.
Charbens: similar to Britains. This giraffe was 1930s only - they did a better proportioned giraffe in the 1950s.
T & B /F.G.Taylor/ Barrett & Sons: similar to Britains, but I think brown bear is 1950s only by F.G.T.
Pixyland/Kew: 1920s & 1930s only. They didn't restart after WW2.
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks for the support guys! That sounds like good news Dave, so i might have got some oldies in this time!
I have the aquariumhobby before already Rogerio, which takes very much of my time, 25 hours a week on maintanance of around 60 tanks, writing articles worldwide, giving lectures, decorating tanks, selling fish from home on a daily basis take soooo much of my time already...
But i see what i can do... Wink Wink

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks for the support guys! That sounds like good news Dave, so i might have got some oldies in this time!
I have the aquariumhobby before already Rogerio, which takes very much of my time, 25 hours a week on maintanance of around 60 tanks, writing articles worldwide, giving lectures, decorating tanks, selling fish from home on a daily basis take soooo much of mytime already...
But i see what i can do... Wink Wink

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  WillyBacoman WAS HERE cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers  Laughing

Congratulation for this big deal Applause  and thank you Dave for the job Applause

Willy... Everytime I see your monkey face on STS I feel very happy so please, if you won't post here for you, DO IT FOR ME sunny  And a few others I guess Laughing
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 5:42 am

Yes he was indeed mon ami!
Don't give up to much of your collection my friend, i only get rid of the dogs and some big farm animals, but i was doing that already before.
As Dr.Narayaan was here to visit me, i made him happy with a box full of models.
I think he came back to India heavingly packed, haha...(or ahah in French, the only people in the world that laugh backwards... Laughing )

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 9:08 am

Silly people indeed Laughing
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 4:53 am

You don't have to tell me that as i know you... Wink

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 9:12 am

Laughing I can't resist geek
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 9:58 pm

No problem, i am not much different, haha... cheers

PostSubject: Re: A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...   A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in... Empty

Back to top Go down

A Mixed Lot of Metal models came in...
Page 1 of 1