Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 

Best Dogs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Best Dogs?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:19 am

Hello everyone,

In these past few weeks I have been organizing my whole collection, resulting in a decline of 15/20% (I guess) All these animals will be UFT/sale next year.

I also have 'cleaned' my dog shelf a bit. But I don't have many dogs left, only the ones that I really like. But after some searching on MPV (my main shop I get my animals from) I got overwhelmed by all those dogs! o.0

So I want to ask you guys, what are the best dogs around?

I'm looking for the best;

German Shepherd
Golden Retriever

Other interesting breeds Wink

And hopefully my dog group will be bigger next year, with better models.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://night-lioness.deviantart.com/
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Papo has great canids IMHO, as well as CollectA. Very Happy

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:59 pm

I'd say that Papo's dogs are by far the best.

But there are SO many German Shepherd dogs and Golden Retrievers, it is hard to remember them all scratch
Try taking a look at the dog breeds [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:34 pm

I don't collect dogs but my choice would always be Papo, for me the best collection of dogs among major brands, though, always complementing it with some dogs from other brands whose versions are better than Papo and of course some breeds not featured by the French company. It seems the most part are in 1:12 scale, they look much nicer when in comparable size. si
One of Papos to be replaced would be surely the golden retriever, I have a preference for Moj's one sculpted by Anna or even one of these recently discontinued by Schleich. German shepherds are not easy to choose, try to use your personal taste. Don't forget some Bullyland dogs, they have interesting breeds like the Rhodesian ridgeback.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:32 pm

I completely agree, - Mojo's golden retrievers are among the best cheers

They are not made by Anna, though.
James made them, as you can see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , with more photos Wink

And, yes, Bullyland has made some marvellous dog models Very Happy

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Don't forget about CollectA dogs.
Their St. Bernard, Afghan, sitting Bull Terrier and Irish setter are among my favourites.
My favourite German Shepherd is the female one from Schleich.

I can't comment on the Golden retriever, because neither the Schleich dog or Papo dog persuades me.
And Mojo's Golden Retriever seems to be too large to fit into my dog collection.
Maybe next year someone will get it right.

Just buy the dog that gives you a good feeling.

You know what I'm talking about.  I love you
You love what you see or you don't.
It's not about completing or getting every breed out there.
You have to like it as well.

Gut feeling.

And always keep in mind:
Maybe next year someone will get it right.
pirat

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
I completely agree, - Mojo's golden retrievers are among the best cheers

They are not made by Anna, though.
James made them, as you can see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , with more photos Wink

Of course you're right Susanne, I remember reading it but I forgot it was not Ana who sculpted it. Obviously, I like the figure the same. Very Happy

I can't comment on the Golden retriever, because neither the Schleich dog or Papo dog persuades me.
And Mojo's Golden Retriever seems to be too large to fit into my dog collection.

In the picture below, the Mojö golden retriever doesn't seem to be a very large figure but I may be wrong. It is pictured allong with Papo and the recent much smaller from Schleich. I remember new Schleich dogs are really small when compared with other brands, it was interesting to see the Mojö in comparison with larger Schleich golden retrievers. Very Happy

Schleich (new), Mojo and Papo by Susanne

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:58 am

I think:
German Shepherd: CollectA
Golden Retriever: Mojo

And don't miss CollectA Australian Cattle Dog, Siberian Husky (I already have this one!), and American Staffordshire Terrier. Papo Great Dane, Scottish Terrier, Siberian Husky, Neapolitan Mastiff, Brittany Spaniel.

Back to top Go down
scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:35 am

I don't have any good advice about Golden Retrievers. I haven't found one I really like.

I am a fan of both the Papo German Shepherd (my favorite) and the Schleich female German Shepherd -- the one Simone gives a photo of above. Although I'm not a fan of the CollectA Shepherd, I'm glad Donny mentions it above; it's worth checking out.

Of the major companies, Papo is generally my favorite for dogs, and many of Schleich's older dogs are also very nice.

Back to top Go down
The-Toy-Chest

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:15 am

My favorite German shepherd model would have to be the Hartland Bullet figure from the 50s.

The Breyer Golden Retrievers are also quite nice (don't mind the BMD, he's a custom I painted!).

Back to top Go down
http://the-toy-chest.deviantart.com/
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:38 am

These dogs are indisputably good and pictures also! Thanks for sharing! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Takama

PostSubject: Best Brand to Collect Dogs?   Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:52 am

Ok Besides Dinosaurs, i decided to collect a Majour brands line of Dogs, and i wanted to know which is the best in terms of Realism and Breed variety.

Im looking towards either Safari or Papo. I have the Collie from Safari, and the Boxer From Papo, But in you guys opinion which one of these companeys is the most likely to make a Pomeranian?

Im leaning towards Safari, as some of the Papo Dogs look very Cartoonish when painted.

any ideas?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:41 am

PAPO !!!!
Papo is certainly best, both when it comes to realism and breed variety .
CollectA's dogs are also great , but I think Papo is the the best of all brands when it comes to dogs.

I hesitate to make a guess about the brand that may make a Pomeranian.
Papo and CollectA have been the most adventurous in the past, but CollectA has not made new dogs for a long time, and Safai has been quite active with dogs the last couple of years Very Happy

....... some of the Papo Dogs look very Cartoonish when painted.

What   Shocked  I surely do not agree  Very Happy  

You can see them here : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .

NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:36 am

Paaapooo :3
Nothing more to say, as I 1000% agree on Susanne Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://night-lioness.deviantart.com/
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Papo has great dogs, as does CollectA but Papo has better paintwork. Some Safari dogs aren't half bad but the paintwork is pretty awful on most of them.

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Takama, my opinion is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] :) Don't miss that link once topics will be merged. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Wilorvise

Country/State : Michigan, USA

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:33 pm

I suppose it depends on whether you're referring to manufacturers painting or custom painting?

Must you choose one Brand? For instance, you could do Papo with a minor supplemental of Safari if you so chose. And then you could choose on a per model basis.

Which dogs are your "must have" breeds? Perhaps comparing the individuals from those selections might help you narrow it down?

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:10 am

I am on the fritzz between Safari and Papo. on one hand, Safari has the more Realistic painting, While on the other hand, Papo has the best variety.

I have a Book that is full of profiles on different dogs, and I often wonder what Dogs would likely get made? The one Dog i want to see more then any other breed in PVC form is a Pomeranian. My mom loves these dogs. And I have one that remains to be my true companion.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:45 pm

I am on the fritzz between Safari and Papo. on one hand, Safari has the more Realistic painting, While on the other hand, Papo has the best variety.

I have a Book that is full of profiles on different dogs, and I often wonder what Dogs would likely get made?    The one Dog i want to see more then any other breed in PVC form is a Pomeranian.   My mom loves these dogs. And I have one that remains to be my true companion.  

It is not easy to guess which brand will release a Pomeranian but you have a real one what is infinitely better. :)
You see that most opinions are favorable to Papo, mine included and it isn't helping you to take a decision, I even notice that you have a slight preference for Safari, they're also nice, why don't you collect them? :)

Back to top Go down
barracudacat

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:29 pm

I'm not sure whether you're still looking or not, but my favorite German shepherd is the most recent one safari made (the one with the mostly black face). She's also very easy to find and relatively inexpensive. I love the large Breyer shepherd too, but that one is really old and really difficult to get a hold of. You'd have to search ebay for a while to find one.

My favorite golden retriever by far is the old Bullyland one. This is one I regret never picking up when I had the chance. Many of the others, particularly the 1:12 scale Schleich ones, are good second choices.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:55 pm

You are right ! Safari made a beautyful dog there, even if they might have been a little more careful with the painting Very Happy

I also love the Momma-dog from Safari : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:19 am

I am glad Barracuda brought this topic back. I am not grabbing to much enthusiasm with my [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but what I wanted was some discussion around the subject and here it is in front of me. Laughing
It is not an accident that I still keep my only 3 dog figures, a Schleich Westie and Labrador I received long time ago from Susanne and a Irish Setter I've found locally. It may be a wonderful collection to have lots of dog breeds in toy shape. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
barracudacat

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Quote :
It is not an accident that I still keep my only 3 dog figures, a Schleich Westie and Labrador I received long time ago from Susanne and a Irish Setter I've found locally. It may be a wonderful collection to have lots of dog breeds in toy shape.

That sounds like a really nice little collection you have. It may not be much, but it's nice to stick to your favorites. One good one can be worth 20 average ones and I have some I feel that way about.

Quote :
I also love the Momma-dog from Safari :

I remember that one from the catalogs but don't think I've ever seen it in person. It definitely looks like one of the nicer shepherd figures out there. Of course, the irony is Safari's original shepherd was one of the weakest ones on the market. Boy, have they improved in a short time!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:14 am

Quote :
It is not an accident that I still keep my only 3 dog figures, a Schleich Westie and Labrador I received long time ago from Susanne and a Irish Setter I've found locally. It may be a wonderful collection to have lots of dog breeds in toy shape.

That sounds like a really nice little collection you have. It may not be much, but it's nice to stick to your favorites. One good one can be worth 20 average ones and I have some I feel that way about.

I feel that I should pay more atention to dog figures. Among so many other examples, I regret not getting the Papo weimaraner, already retired and the Rodesian ridgeback from Bullyland. Those are two examples of figures that we can't miss even if we are not collectors of dog figures. Nevertheless, it is never late to redesign our collecting tastes. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Dogs?   Today at 3:56 am

Back to top Go down

Best Dogs?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1