Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

Share | 

Pose alterations

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DinoLord

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Pose alterations   Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:43 am

Has anyone here had luck modifying poses on Safari/Carnegie and Papo figures without cutting and reattaching parts? I'm thinking of minor mods like changing tail or head direction. I have heard of the hot water method but it seems to have mixed results for some.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Pose alterations   Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:02 am

I've never tried it on Dinos but I don't see why it would be any different on a horse than a dino. Just cut where you want to move, then use super glue (zap a gap is the best) and baking soda to hold. Apply super glue, hold piece in place, then sprinkle on some baking soda and it hardens the super glue immediately. Very Happy It can be sanded and then painted (after prepping/priming) too. Whatever you do - do not use the hot water or hair dryer method! Eventually the model will go back to the original shape - the plastic will remember the position it was in. This also makes very rubbery and unrealistic joints.

Your best bet is to cut the section and drill into either side, inserting a sturdy wire and gluing with the supersoda combination. However I'm lazy and rarely use a wire lol! Usually just for necks on horses, where major support is needed. You can make that decision whether you need the wire or not based on what you're changing. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
DinoLord

PostSubject: Re: Pose alterations   Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:11 am

Interesting - do you have any photos of this method? Also, do you have to cover up the cut with clay or anything?
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Pose alterations   Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:30 am

I only have completed models, no progress photos, I'm sorry! You don't have to cover it up of you don't want/need to - just primer so you can paint over it. I do have a Papo horse in progress though using this method - he's in the sanding stage so I can probably grab a photo for you quick. I chopped off his head and tail. What a Face
Back to top Go down
DinoLord

PostSubject: Re: Pose alterations   Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:40 am

Some photos would be awesome if you could get them. Smile
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Pose alterations   Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Sorry for taking so long! This is the Papo "mare" I'm working on. Will eventually become a portrait of my neighbor's gelding.

Again I cut off the head which was turned to the side, also the tail and attached the tail from the Safari Ltd. grey arabian with the yellow rose blanket. I cut off a good amount of plastic from the neck as I need to do some sculpting over it, that's why it looks weird. Wink

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Pose alterations   Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:20 am

Great LeeAnn, I can't wait the next episode Very Happy

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Pose alterations   Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Me too Laughing This one's fighting me for sure
Back to top Go down