Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting

Go down 
+9
widukind
Taos
elephas_maximus
scot(t)
costicuba
LeeAnn
Roger
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting Empty
PostSubject: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 2:04 am

Noémi asked a few days ago for a comparison pic between the CollectA Derby's Eland and the Lineol Common Eland. I promised her to do so and I thought it could be a good idea to make a rendez-vous in a new topic. So here we are.

Eland antelopes were "more common" figurines in the past. When Lineol produced his Common Eland in 1940 it wasn't the first Eland toy ever. Before, Britains made one and Blancherie Frères two. After them, Clairet and Marx also made an Eland toy. The Britains Grazing eland was copied several time by HK manufacturers.
In 1965, when the Britains model retired, the Eland antelope deserted the toy market for 47 years, except by Britains and Marx knocks Off. So it was a big event when CollectA decided to make a new Eland in 2012.
This Eland revival was also a first time ever for one thing: The previous Elands produced were all Common elands. CollectA had the very good idea to create a species for the first time: The Derby's Eland or Giant eland.

Elands are spiral-horned antelopes, the biggest of all antelopes.

Common elands coat differs geographically, with elands in north Africa having distinctive markings (torso stripes, markings on legs, dark garters and a spinal crest) that are absent in the south. Apart from a rough mane, the coat is smooth. Females have a tan coat, while the coats of males are darker, with a bluish-grey tinge. Bulls may also have a series of vertical white stripes on their sides.

The Giant eland is bit larger on average than the Common eland and is thus the largest species of antelope in the world. The smooth coat is reddish-brown to chestnut, usually darker in males than females, with 8–12 well-defined vertical white stripes on the torso. The colour of the male's coat darkens with age.
A crest of short black hair extends down the neck to the middle of the back, and is particularly prominent on the shoulders. The slender legs are slightly lighter on their inner surfaces, with black and white markings just above the hooves. There are large black spots on the upper forelegs. The bridge of the nose is charcoal black, and there is a thin, indistinct tan-coloured line, which is the chevron, between the eyes. The lips are white, as are several dots along the jawline. A pendulous dewlap, larger in males than females, originates from between the jowls and hangs to the upper chest when they reach sexual maturity, with a fringe of hair on its edge. The large ears of the giant eland serve as signaling devices. Giant elands have comparatively longer legs than the common eland, as well as much brighter black and white markings on the legs and pasterns.
(thank you Wikipedia Wink )

So why a Comparison between those ones ? Because Noméi asked of course Laughing  and because they are both at the same scale: around 1/20.

LINEOL Common Eland
Series: IV
Produced from 1940 to 1960.
Made in composition material

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

CollectA 88563 Giant Eland
Series: Wild Life Collection
Produced since 2012
Made of PVC material

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:02 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 2:39 am

They are GORGEOUS cheers
And what a gorgeous topic, with gorgeous photos Applause

Thankyou, dear Christophe, - I will certainly return and drool over that LINEOL-eland many times Very Happy

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:12 am

Thank you Susanne Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 7:36 am

Here is a topic that is itself a masterpiece! cheers Not only because it is about two toy masterpieces, but because it is masterly presented. Very Happy
I hope we will see more back to the future topics, I remember previous ones when these Lineol 4th generation were always much better than their modern counterparts but in this case both figures are equally good. We are fortunate that they are two different species and at the same scale as you pointed. I feel very lucky of owning both figures and a word to CollectA that is being able of sculpting figures in a similar level with these Lineol. Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 7:53 am

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 8:23 am

What an interesting comparison! They are so different but they still make a great pair Very Happy

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:55 am

I really enjoy this topic`` Back to the Future`` Kiki, with all great photos and interesting information..
Thank you for that :)
And I realy like these old models of LINEOL and the other vintage companies. They are so beautifully made it and they have so much charm.
This one is realy a masterpiece :)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 7:47 pm

I love this. The Lineol is so so beautiful. Makes me shake with delight.
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Great topic Christophe with excellent pictures as always.  I think the old Lineol is more appealing in terms of overall anatomy, this is especially apparent when you look at the muscle definition and head sculpting.  It might be a bit too skinny but still very nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:58 am

Thank you Rogério, LeeAnn, Kosta, Scott and Andrew cheers I think I will make more walkarounds, comparisons and "back to the Future" topics Sleep bounce

@Kosta: I think the old stuff, especially Lineol animals are really able to touch every artist, every sculptor of STS Very Happy

@Andrew: Thank you for writing cheers I agree with you bit I didin't want to be the first to say it Wink I think it is also evident with the head and body slightly different scale. Nevertheless, the CollectA is still an excellent model!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 3:53 am

Kikimalou wrote:
...... I think I will make more walkarounds, comparisons and "back to the Future" topics  Sleep   bounce

bounce bounce cheers

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Lovely comparison photos!! Applause Applause

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Thank you Taylor Very Happy
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 2:52 pm

2 Beauties, absolutly. Thanks for this nice pics:)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 3:17 pm

Nice topic, pics and subject mon ami! There are other elenads to compare, but in another scale though...

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 6:57 am

Thye're both amazing their own way... Wonderful!cheers Many thanks for these photos.

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 9:18 am

Thank you for comparison Christophe Very Happy I like both of them but for now Lineol would be for me rather hard to get. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 1:29 pm

Thank you Andreas, Willy, Jonas and Anna Very Happy

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
Nice topic, pics and subject mon ami! There are other elenads to compare, but in another scale though...

Yes it could be a new topic: 1/32 elands meeting Wink

Ana wrote:
Thank you for comparison Christophe Very Happy I like both of them but for now Lineol would be for me rather hard to get. Smile

Anna, I have the big chance to have the Lineol Eland and the YOUR eland too cheers

You have the Big chance to be Anna and so you can make some wonderful new jewels with your magic hands drunken
Back to top Go down
SouthNoah

SouthNoah

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptyFri Sep 21, 2018 5:35 am

would you be so kind to compare your Collecta's eland with the Schleich's zebra and giraffe? please

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptyFri Sep 21, 2018 3:49 pm

SouthNoah wrote:
would you be so kind to compare your Collecta's eland with the Schleich's zebra and giraffe? please

As the topic is more than 3years old, I am afraid your post could get lost. I don't have the Schleich figures and the eland is not with me at the moment. Though, I can tell you that it works perfectly with the Schleich zebra. They are roughly the same scale. If you mix these three figures, the least consistent is the giraffe once it is defintely small when compared with these two.

SouthNoah

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptyFri Sep 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Roger wrote:
SouthNoah wrote:

As the topic is more than 3years old, I am afraid your post could get lost. I don't have the Schleich figures and the eland is not with me at the moment. Though, I can tell you that it works perfectly with the Schleich zebra. They are roughly the same scale. If you mix these three figures, the least consistent is the giraffe once it is defintely small when compared with these two.

Thank you very much cheers

Scales are a troubles. Elephants, rhinos, giraffes and hippos from Sleich are amazing but a little bit smalls.

Anyway I do not worry too much, it's worse a koala with the size of a bison. lol!

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting EmptyFri Sep 21, 2018 5:11 pm

SouthNoah wrote:
Roger wrote:
SouthNoah wrote:

Thank you very much cheers

Scales are a troubles. Elephants, rhinos, giraffes and hippos from Sleich are amazing but a little bit smalls.

Anyway I do not worry too much, it's worse a koala with the size of a bison. lol!

Laughing That's a fact, I believe the Bullyland koala was almost bison sized. affraid CollectA giant eland is a magnificent piece, you will love it. :)

PostSubject: Re: Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting   Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting Empty

Back to top Go down

Back to the Future: The Lineol and CollectA elands meeting
Page 1 of 1