Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics

Go down 
+3
LeeAnn
sadie3112
Bonobo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics Empty
PostSubject: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 4:41 pm

Painting eyes is something many people get stressed out about and most times just slap on some black paint and call it done. But horse eyes aren't solid black!

When painting anything, let alone horse eyes, make sure you work from a reference. You can print it out, leave it open on the computer, have a book with an image, whatever it is just use a reference! You can't paint accurately and realistically without even knowing what the real thing looks like.

I like to line up all of my paints and brushes so I have everything in one place. For a brown eye you'll need black, white, a dark brown, a lighter brown, gold, and a flesh color (if your horse has large eyewhites).

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16347284812_ae1722b02f_o

Even if you're painting a large horse, you still want very fine brushes. And please, don't use a toothpick. That's not a paintbrush.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16162279187_2bf3f3196b_o

Since eyes don't take up very much paint, you'll waste a lot of paint by dumping it out on a palette. Shake the bottle well and unscrew the cap. Now you have paint in the cap that you can tip your brush into.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16162278727_00b1d202f7_o

Very carefully dip the end of the brush into the paint, only getting paint on the very tip of the bristles. If it looks rounded at the end, wipe some off (that's why you see a bunch of paint around the rim of my paint cap Laughing ). You don't need much paint on there at all. If you have too much it'll take forever to dry and won't look smooth.

If you need to, use a bright light to see where the edges of the eye are. Sometimes it's hard to see, especially on darker horses. Don't be afraid to use a magnifier if you need to! Paint the entire eye black.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 15725735954_f3a4d9ba14_o

Paint some white at one corner of the eye. Depending on what your horse is doing and which direction he's looking it will go at one end or the other, but never both. You might not even need to paint eyewhites on the horse depending on what it's doing. Appaloosa always have eyewhites showing, no matter what the horse is doing. If you like you can add the fleshtone in the corner of the eye now. Don't worry about getting it perfect - as you can see mine are way off.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16160567448_67451645e2_o

Add more black to fix the white. Again, how much white is showing will depend on what your horse is doing.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16346413111_be489c0329_o

As I use each color I leave the caps out so I can easily access the paint again if I need to.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 15725734704_f863487ec8_o

Paint the lighter brown all the way around the eye, leaving a very small rim of black around the edge of the eye.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16160565588_a0cb6eb34e_o

You can either mix some light brown and black or use a darker brown to add to the middle of the eye. Apply the paint in a circular shape but don't make it a perfect circle. You want it to be uneven.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16347280752_f04fff0674_o

Apply a thin layer of gold paint if you want to wherever you want the shine.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16160798710_d0e5ef0b2e_o

Finally paint the pupil, which as you will see in your reference is a long skinny oval. Again you don't have to be perfect about it.

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16348153195_d6d4c7ec29_o

Seal the entire model in your preferred sealant, and coat the eyes in gloss varnish. Then you're done! Smile

If you have any other tips on painting eyes or do it slightly differently, please share! Very Happy

Bonobo

Country/State : Deutschland/Germany (NRW)

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 pm

Very useful! Applause
Thank you very much! cheers

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 5:40 pm

You're welcome! I hope it comes in handy for you sometime Very Happy

sadie3112

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 11:08 am

Thank you so much for the tutorial LeeAnn! Very Happy I'm sure it will help me improve my eye painting technique cheers

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 3:40 pm

cheers

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptySat Jan 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Thankyou very much, - extremely interesting cheers

Damon

Damon

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 4:10 pm

Interesting,

I do a lot of things the same, but I start of with the white cheers

Dum_my

Dum_my

Country/State : Nederland

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Really helpfull topic! Very Happy great to see!
Do you maybe have an non close up picture of the ''done'' eye?

Next up a blue eye ? bounce Applause I love you

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptySun Mar 08, 2015 1:33 pm

I have one of a medallion I painted, it's a larger eye but still the same concept:
How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics 16478733070_c0344b59b4_c

Drakulka

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:22 pm

Fantastic tutorial! Really helpful. I personally use a different method, probably harder and more time consuming, but it proved to be working for me.
What I do is - Pant the entire eye white, then outline the Eye ball with black, and while the paint is still wet, I apply the inner brown colour. That way the black sinks into the brown and creates nice shade. I then refine the shape adjusting the black outline, block the pupil in and add a small blue line in the middle of it. At that point the white get some off white and pinking, then a sealing with matte spray and once the eyes are dry I gloss them :) I will see if I can do a step by step just to show you how I do it. However that only works on larger models. I really improvise on the smaller ones lol.
Here an example of eye painted this way: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics Saracen_headshot_by_drakulka-d7dzuhg (Thats Saracen, who now hasa white blaze Wink )
Definitely liking your method and will save it!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics   How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics Empty

Back to top Go down

How to Paint Brown Horse Eyes in Acrylics
Page 1 of 1