Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Name-A-Model topic

Go down 
+29
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin
googie212
JonasV
SUSANNE
Roger
LeeAnn
Wilorvise
DaveScriv
Ladytilly
Gwaine
krista
Saien
Cyhyraeth
Carola
Katty
CharolaisStudios
Ponylover2606
castlerigg
ReinbowSchleich
A-J
Mastiffcat
Saarlooswolfhound
AlopexLagopus
Ana
koniminiatures
TheLastStardust
Suebeedo
Sergey
Sumo
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

The Name-A-Model topic Empty
PostSubject: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

I know I can't be the only one here who likes to name their models?
For me, it's partly from necessity - in model horse circles, you need to name your models if you want to show them - and partly because it's easier to say "Squeaky" than "Wild Safari 2007 Velociraptor". And partly because, well, it's fun. Razz
The thing is, I've got a touch of namer's block just when I need it the most... What do you call a bunch of orangutans other than Librarian #1, 2, 3, and so forth? Is there a more appropriate tiger name than Fritz? And what are good names for lemurs, anyway? Suggestions please!
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Sumo wrote:
I know I can't be the only one here who likes to name their models?
For me, it's partly from necessity - in model horse circles, you need to name your models if you want to show them - and partly because it's easier to say "Squeaky" than "Wild Safari 2007 Velociraptor". And partly because, well, it's fun. Razz
The thing is, I've got a touch of namer's block just when I need it the most... What do you call a bunch of orangutans other than Librarian #1, 2, 3, and so forth? Is there a more appropriate tiger name than Fritz? And what are good names for lemurs, anyway? Suggestions please!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
...When I was 7 years old I named my most first model of the brown bear by VEB Plaho - Balu (or Baloo) from "Jungle Book" by Kipling. Laughing Laughing Laughing This figurine still in my collection display! cheers

The Name-A-Model topic Imag0117

The Name-A-Model topic Imag0118

Back to top Go down
Suebeedo

Suebeedo

Country/State : Spokane, Washington, USA

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Wow...you don't ask much! Naming the individual animals in your collection? I have enough of a problem remembering the passwords for the few sites I go on!scratch or naming a new pet... No

So far if I received one as a gift I have named it after that person...not very original am I. geek
As a child I had a striped kitten named Tiger, so maybe a tiger named Kitten??? :)

but I will help you with yours because then I won't have to remember the names you will cheers
Laughing

Lemur.....hmmmm ~ how about lemurbert? confused Wink Orangobert, naw...I don't think that sounds very good...I'll keep working on it for you though bounce

flower ~ Sue Wink

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:16 pm

My new Britain tortoise does have a name : Harryette cheers

When I was a child my Reisler animals all had names. I don`t remember them all, but the giraffe`s name is Ellen. This did not please my mom, as her name is Ellen Laughing
The goat was Jane, the Elefant was Momba...the panther babies were Peter, Miriam and such "real names...mmmm, I am sure I will remember more now I think about it, - but it is more than 50 years ago What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
TheLastStardust

TheLastStardust

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Naming Figures   The Name-A-Model topic EmptySun May 05, 2013 12:38 pm

I was just wondering.. Does anybody else here naming their animals?
Or am I the only one who does? Embarassed

Every single figure of me gets a name and then i get more attached to them >.>
Does anyone reconize this?

I'd like to know xD

-Stardust

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptySun May 05, 2013 1:32 pm

Lots of people name their models, especially the horses, I think Very Happy

I look forward to read ansvers to this subject Wink

koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptySun May 05, 2013 3:45 pm

This is an interesting subject, and one I've oft wanted to hear more discussion on. In model horse circles naming models is indeed the norm, and there the type of naming strategy usually adhered to seems to be either mimicry of real-world horse naming customs (which vary distinctly from breed to breed and can carry significant amounts of information about lineage, historical setting etc.), or simply pleasing the aesthetics of the model's owner - which is exactly what coming up with, creating and collecting the model horses themselves tends to be about, too.

I, too, name all of my horses, and belong in the second category of naming strategists I guess (although perhaps not entirely comfortably - I've never been able to center on sheer beauteousity or cuteness values, not on my models nor their names). Naming my models begun reluctantly as a necessity for showing them in competitions (well, one can enter models as mere numerals, but it can get confusing, especially in live shows where there's no time to forget what model by what numeral is due on the judging table in 30 seconds). The custom has since taken on a monstrous life of its own, though, thanks to my affinity for English compounds and finding fixed terms for curious concepts - so much so I nowadays find myself creating models just to have something to affix the nifty name I have ready on.

Additionally, the intertextual references and wry humour I get to indulge in on naming plastic ponies after psychological conditions and linguistic quirks does afford me a quiet, pathetic pleasure. (Doubly so if a name I've picked out is able to induce an unsuspecting model horse enthusiast to actually google the subject out of innocent puzzlement.)

Somehow naming any of the other species in my collection comes far less easily and tends to feel quite redundant. I do have a few dinosaurs with surnames, though, and a hare named Albrecht. Perhaps the disease is spreading..?
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptySun May 05, 2013 5:22 pm

I have names only for few of my animal figures, if the name doesn't come to my mind with the first sight then I leave the figure just without name. Most of the time if I got animal as a present from my husband then I give a name to this figure, that's why I have for example Valentine the vulture and mustang mare named Rhymfaxa :) sunny
When I started collecting few years ago I tried to give names to all my animals and had all this written in my diary but I think when it's too many to remember then it become difficult and is not that pleasant anymore, at least for me. scratch That's why now I give names only to some of them :)

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
AlopexLagopus

AlopexLagopus

Country/State : italy

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptySun May 05, 2013 9:18 pm

I've given names only to stuffed animals :) names of characters in movies action, anime and videogames geek

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptySun May 05, 2013 11:37 pm

All of my animals from my childhood had names, which was quite a few. But now that I have so many it begins to get hard to remember them and think of unique ones for each, so I normally don't name them anymore.
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyMon May 06, 2013 7:26 am

Intresting information Koniminiatures Very Happy (By the way, I think I've seen some of your work on Deviant Art, you're very talented bounce )

I have many horse figurines, but only one with a name : Princess Razz (or Prinzessin)
Back to top Go down
http://www.carolafunder.dk
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyMon May 06, 2013 8:47 am

I'm afraid I haven't got a Deviant Art account, Carola - it must have been someone else's work you saw. There are many very skilled (much more so than I!) people there.

I know the model you refer to, by the way, and find her much more accurate than many of the other Schleich horses, and very pleasing to the eye too - despite the "questionable reputation" the mold has apparently earned among collectors. Wink

Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:31 pm

koniminiatures wrote:
I'm afraid I haven't got a Deviant Art account, Carola - it must have been someone else's work you saw. There are many very skilled (much more so than I!) people there.

I know the model you refer to, by the way, and find her much more accurate than many of the other Schleich horses, and very pleasing to the eye too - despite the "questionable reputation" the mold has apparently earned among collectors. Wink

Oh, well, I'm sure I've seen some gallery with custom stuff called by your name.. Just not Deviant Art then Razz

Interesting, you're one of very few I've heard to have such an opinion about the infamous white lady Very Happy In this forum.
Back to top Go down
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyMon May 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Ana wrote:
I have names only for few of my animal figures, if the name doesn't come to my mind with the first sight then I leave the figure just without name.

I'm the same. Very few of my figures have names. Only very special ones with personality or when a name leaps into my mind. All the STS artist resin figures have names, of course.
But when i collected Breyers, every model had a name. I had a book in which i entered their name, date of acquisition, description, etc.

koniminiatures wrote:
The custom has since taken on a monstrous life of its own, though, thanks to my affinity for English compounds and finding fixed terms for curious concepts - so much so I nowadays find myself creating models just to have something to affix the nifty name I have ready on.

Additionally, the intertextual references and wry humour I get to indulge in on naming plastic ponies after psychological conditions and linguistic quirks does afford me a quiet, pathetic pleasure. (Doubly so if a name I've picked out is able to induce an unsuspecting model horse enthusiast to actually google the subject out of innocent puzzlement.)
now i'm intrigued! i'd love to see the names of your models.

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:14 pm

I also name (allmost) all of my models. Espessialy the customs (artworks and paintings also have titles right? Razz ). And besides that, I try to pedigree my horses and you just can't have a pedigree without a name. Not long ago I started to give some of my dogs a pedigree too so the dog that didn't had a name ( mostly the newer ones) got a name too.
And for the name remember issue: I have a special name book and the ones that aren't in the name book are on the www Very Happy

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyTue May 07, 2013 1:12 am

Carola, if you happen across that site again, I'd be interested in checking it out. Some of my sold models do appear on their new owners' websites, but no person that I'm aware of has particularly many of them. So if very many are present on one site, it can be it's that of a faker. I've had this in the past - people nicking my photographs and claiming to have created the models. On the other hand, attributing the models to me on the site you remember does imply no one's trying to do that this time, at least.

Carolynn, hope I didn't get your hopes too high with my lofty description. Really they're just Wikipedia-assisted one-man inside jokes. Very Happy My models and their names may in any case be viewed here: http://koni.weebly.com
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
Carola

Carola

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyTue May 07, 2013 12:12 pm

koniminiatures wrote:
Carola, if you happen across that site again, I'd be interested in checking it out. Some of my sold models do appear on their new owners' websites, but no person that I'm aware of has particularly many of them. So if very many are present on one site, it can be it's that of a faker. I've had this in the past - people nicking my photographs and claiming to have created the models. On the other hand, attributing the models to me on the site you remember does imply no one's trying to do that this time, at least.

Carolynn, hope I didn't get your hopes too high with my lofty description. Really they're just Wikipedia-assisted one-man inside jokes. Very Happy My models and their names may in any case be viewed here: http://koni.weebly.com

Bad thing is, I can hadly remember. Maybe is was once Google seach that led me to some of your models. But I'll inform you if I figure it out, and some seem to use your work without permission.

Surprised
Back to top Go down
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks, Carola!

Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptySun May 12, 2013 9:12 pm

I used to name almost every model horse I got, but now things have changed, as long as I'm out of suitable names) So mostly Breyer, Stone horses and ARs still have their names.
However, if a model from my collection gets a name, it means it won't be sold away. And otherwise if a model's just standing on my shelf without being named somehow it means that I have no bound with it.

ReinbowSchleich

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptySun May 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Yep! I do, lots of people do Very Happy All my Schleich figures have names. The horses also have show names. I can memerize each and every one of they're names and breeds. I mean they're realistic, they should have names to make it even more real! And it's fun to give them names that fit they're personalities! cheers
Back to top Go down
castlerigg

castlerigg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:03 pm

We find names are vital, both for the animal collection and the horse collection.

On the horse side, it is easier to say "Domino" than "that latex mare that we commissioned in black frame-overo from Julip back in 1973".

On the animal side, it is easier to say "Dingus' Tree" than "that really odd-looking composition thing, which turned out to be a climbing-tree made specifically to fit one of the Tipple-Topple Polar Bear cubs".

Our composition animals are named in series. For instance, the Bactrian Camel mares are named as "ladies of the night"... Big Alice, Hellfire Kate, Fag-Ash-Lil, Moonshine Sally, etc. (and our only male is Sinful Davy).

Our Polar Bears are named with dialect words for unpleasant internal feelings - Collywobble, Fantod, Marthamble, Lurgi, Sheemywamble, Habdab, Jimjam and Heebie Jeebie.

Our Polar Cubs are named with the words you use when you can't remember something's name - Widget, Gizmo, Dingus, Gadget, Doodah, Thingummy-jig, Wim Wam and Timmy-Noggy ...

and so it goes.

Sue & Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyWed May 15, 2013 11:43 am

Wonderful way of giving names Sue and Lesley, it add so much poetry to collecting. I love you I love it sunny

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyFri May 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Sue & Lesley
Yes, you're right! Really great idea of naming them this way:)

Ponylover2606

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 9:11 am

I still name mine Embarassedtongue Its just fun thinking for names for them all and I still remember all 50 something of my collection. and counting!
Back to top Go down
CharolaisStudios

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 5:56 pm

You are not alone, I name almost all of my models! Very Happy  And for lemur names, hmm...Luna?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Name-A-Model topic   The Name-A-Model topic Empty

Back to top Go down

The Name-A-Model topic
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collector's life-
Jump to: