Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  

sunny Please bring your suggestions for the SUY of June CLICK here sunny

Share | 

The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Elect the 2014 Animal figure of the year.
Papo snow leopard
42%
 42% [ 62 ]
CollectA fallow deer
17%
 17% [ 25 ]
Kitan Club leopard seal
12%
 12% [ 18 ]
Rebor Tyrannosaurus rex
9%
 9% [ 13 ]
CollectA Ankole/Watusi bull
9%
 9% [ 13 ]
Mojo Arabian mare in foal
9%
 9% [ 13 ]
Papo Siberian husky
2%
 2% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 149

AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:52 am

Ladies and Gentlemen Here are the 7 finalists for the STS 2014 figure of the year

Only one vote per members  Sad   Laughing 

The suspense will stop in 7 days, Sunday 8 February

Have fun  cheers 

Papo snow leopard
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

CollectA fallow deer

Kitan Club leopard seal

Rebor Tyrannosaurus rex

CollectA Watusi bull

Mojo Arabian Mare in Foal

Papo Siberian Husky

Last edited by Kikimalou on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:46 am

Hmm this's hard... Not my favorites here ion the list but-- Very Happy

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:56 am

Headache! Hard to choose, but I did it XD

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:56 am

I already voted and I am somewhat impressed but not completely surprised with the current results. It is still early and I hope people keeps voting even the winner turns obvious. Thanks for opening the final poll, Christophe! Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:08 pm

That surely is a hard choice. All are great models scratch

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Voted:)

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Not fond of the Rebor T.rex so I voted for an animal this time,even if I don't collect them.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:26 pm

A difficult choice but I have a good idea who will win Smile
Back to top Go down
http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
lunate

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:35 pm

So tough! All these are just so well done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Voted! bounce

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:47 pm

I specialy had a hard time choosing as none of these animals are my cup of tea.
But i did it.
And so many members have voted already.
That is a good sign.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Bear

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:49 pm

I kind of missed a bird catagory in the pre-rounds.
Maybe an idee for 2016?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm surprised that so far the Trex hasn't gotten many votes! Surprised  It is so realistic! bounce But I can certainly see why the Snow Leopard is favoured Wink bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
signatus

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Voted !! :)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Likaon - Wildlife Models Shop http://www.likaonmodels.com/
My homemade models : www.signatustudio.com
Back to top Go down
http://signatustudio.com
Jennypurr

Country/State : Tennessee, USA

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:01 am

Wish I knew of a store which carries all these brands so I could see them in person!  A photo only shows one side; sometimes creatures which look great from the side the photo is taken doesn't look as good from another perspective.  <sigh>  Que pasa .....
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:18 am

I'm a bit surprised that the snow leopard is winning. It seems like such an oddly proportioned model, and the face looks strange. scratch

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it is going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming. (One of my favorite archery quotes)
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:01 am

@cattlecollector wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that the snow leopard is winning. It seems like such an oddly proportioned model, and the face looks strange. scratch

I've heard this before, but I guess I don't see it. The snow leopard is not my favorite model of 2014 -- it's not even my favorite Papo model of 2014, I think that would be the Hippopotamus Cow. But I still find the Snow Leopard to be a real beauty.

I suspect this is more a matter of taste. I find the Rebor Tyrannosaurus to be unpleasantly proportioned and odd-looking. But I recognize that it's an extremely well-done model. Just not my style.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:08 am

@Jennypurr wrote:
Wish I knew of a store which carries all these brands so I could see them in person!  A photo only shows one side; sometimes creatures which look great from the side the photo is taken doesn't look as good from another perspective.  <sigh>  Que pasa .....

That's why I love walkarounds Very Happy

@cattlecollector wrote:

Maybe we could translate it like... It has a very strong personality? Wink

@scot(t) wrote:

I suspect this is more a matter of taste. I find the Rebor Tyrannosaurus to be unpleasantly proportioned and odd-looking. But I recognize that it's an extremely well-done model. Just not my style.

I dislike this Trex too, for the same reasons What a Face

Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:33 pm

So that's why I love these discussions and polls. I like the snow leopard but it is not among my favorites for 2014, though I recognize its appealing design and vibrant personality in a very detailed figure. The same opinion is valide to REBOR T-Rex. I like both figures, just not my absolute favorites. Interestingly I accept much better this kind of "show design" in an extinct than in an extant animal. Papo T-rexes are in my opinion as much monstruous and bizarre than it is the REBOR figureand it seems more or less consensual among collectors. Maybe because REBOR puts the Museum tag and Papo not... ??? scratch
Concluding, my snow leopard is the Papo one and if I wanted a large T-rex, my choice was surely between the last Papo and this REBOR. Paradoxal? Perhaps! geek

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] MY collection of FOXES! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Foxes I'm searching! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:47 pm

@cattlecollector wrote:

Actually, when you look at real snow leopard pics, you will find that the Papo have very good proportions. Wink

Jennypurr

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I have a strange feeling I know who sculpted the T Rex.  Last year I stopped by a hobbyist's house and thought I saw the prototype for the REBOR T Rex.  But, I could be wrong.  I know the woman and her husband sculpt many dinosaurs but have no idea if they sell them to a toy company.

My least favorite of the finalists is the Mojo Arabian mare in foal.  She does appear to be in foal but she's too heavy-looking to be an Arabian.  Now, if they said it was a Morgan or Morab mare - that I could see.  This IS a pregnant Arabian mare:
http://www.equineresindirectory.com/showresin.asp?resinid=1985
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 pm

@Kikimalou wrote:
@cattlecollector wrote:

Actually, when you look at real snow leopard pics, you will find that the Papo have very good proportions. Wink  
That could be it. The tail just seems to big to me. Like you said, maybe he just has. Strong personality. Laughing

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it is going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming. (One of my favorite archery quotes)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:42 pm

@Jennypurr wrote:

My least favorite of the finalists is the Mojo Arabian mare in foal.  She does appear to be in foal but she's too heavy-looking to be an Arabian.  Now, if they said it was a Morgan or Morab mare - that I could see.  This IS a pregnant Arabian mare:

Most of the models we collect, are menat for children 3 years old and up.
So these can't have thin legs, which can harm a small child falling on it Wink

Also, - there are many Strains of Arabian horses.
When holding this one in your hand, there is NO doubt that it is an Arabian horse, - short back, high tail, tiny ears and nose, wide forehead etc . Very Happy

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:56 pm

So many people think Arabians have to be super light to be pure blooded. Arabs can be much heavier than what we're seeing in today's halter classes. They don't have to be very light. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennypurr

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 pm

@LeeAnn wrote:
So many people think Arabians have to be super light to be pure blooded. Arabs can be much heavier than what we're seeing in today's halter classes. They don't have to be very light. Smile

I know that! Just look at any Polish or Russian bred Arabs; they're heavier than the Egyptian types. It's just I don't see the Mojo Arab mare as an Arab. I think Safari and CollectA make better, more typy Arabs.
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:45 am

@Dutch Bear wrote:
Maybe an idee for 2016?

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Country/State : Deutschland/Germany (NRW)

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:36 pm

@Dutch Bear wrote:
Maybe an idee for 2016?
exclamation That would be great! cheers Applause

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:44 pm

@Jennypurr wrote:
I have a strange feeling I know who sculpted the T Rex.  Last year I stopped by a hobbyist's house and thought I saw the prototype for the REBOR T Rex.  But, I could be wrong.  I know the woman and her husband sculpt many dinosaurs but have no idea if they sell them to a toy company.

The legs of the Arab mare had to be sculpted that way, mostly because of the technology and material it was produced from. Some companies use another kind of plastic or even a bitbigger scale which let them make legs proportionally thinner.  In this case it was a minimal required thickness.

I also would prefer to see more thin legged final version of this Arab mare, that's why I sculpted another version of this horse model, cast in resin. And resin version has about 30% thinner legs. It was possible thanks to different technology. (Resin version has also no fur texture which is not typical for Arabians but was required by the company, although in the winter Arabians also can have thick fur, if they are kept whole year outside in the colder climate, so, some may claim the Mojo Arabian is a one in winter fur Wink )  

The model of Arabian mare from your link is also made in resin, and is a bigger scale, that two facts allowed for making the thin, typical Arabian legs. Smile I think comparing it to PCV toy is a bit hard, these are two different "classes".

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:14 pm

@Ana wrote:
@Jennypurr wrote:

The legs of the Arab mare had to be sculpted that way, mostly because of the technology and material it was produced from. Some companies use another kind of plastic or even a bitbigger scale which let them make legs proportionally thinner.  In this case it was a minimal required thickness.

I also would prefer to see more thin legged final version of this Arab mare, that's why I sculpted another version of this horse model, cast in resin. And resin version has about 30% thinner legs. It was possible thanks to different technology. (Resin version has also no fur texture which is not typical for Arabians but was required by the company, although in the winter Arabians also can have thick fur, if they are kept whole year outside in the colder climate, so, some may claim the Mojo Arabian is a one in winter fur Wink )  

The model of Arabian mare from your link is also made in resin, and is a bigger scale, that two facts allowed for making the thin, typical Arabian legs. Smile I think comparing it to PCV toy is a bit hard, these are two different "classes".

Very good, clear and right points :)
Back to top Go down
costicuba

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:48 am

What is thinking this beautiful Leo ..?
...``I guess, I`m the wiiinneeerrr...yeahhh ``  lol!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:16 am

Laughing

sebillba

Country/State : Southsea, UK

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:17 am

Thanks to all involved in compiling this poll, it's been a lot of fun! A little sad for me that there are no monkeys in the final, but I did vote for two non-primates in the initial rounds, and it looks like one of those is going to be named Figure of the Year! Very Happy Applause bounce
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:55 am

I voted for the Kitan Club seal, which is a model form another category on its own, not even to compare with the Papo snowleopard, which is nice, but for me from another category, much less then the Kitan Club model, which is the case for most Japanese models when it come to quality i guess...
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:17 am

@costicuba wrote:

cheers cheers lol!

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:22 am

@SUSANNE wrote:
@costicuba wrote:

cheers cheers lol!

Laughing Laughing Very Happy

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:38 pm

@WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
I voted for the Kitan Club seal, which is a model form another category on its own, not even to compare with the Papo snowleopard, which is nice, but for me from another category, much less then the Kitan Club model, which is the case for most Japanese models when it come to quality i guess...

Me too cheers
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:54 pm

@LeeAnn wrote:
@WILLYBACOMAN wrote:

Me too cheers

Laughing Laughing Laughing So am I cheers

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:15 pm

Well of course mon ami! cheers Wink
Back to top Go down
smilodoncalifornicus

Country/State : USA Minnesota

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:33 am

@Kikimalou wrote:
@cattlecollector wrote:

I agree . My take on the Papo Snow Leopard is that it is perfect in every way. I think it is about the most accurate and realistic extant animal figure I have ever seen by far. It s stunning.
Back to top Go down
Dutch Bear

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Edited....

Last edited by Dutch Bear on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:52 am

So, ladies and gentlemen,
the STS 2014 Animal figure of the year is the
Papo Snow Leopard. farao

Like in 2013, the Animal Figure of the year is the Wildlife figure of the year.
Big congratulation to the Snow Leopard sculptor and to the Papo company.

Below the final ranking:
1 Papo Snow Leopard
2 CollectA fallow deer
3 Kitan Club leopard seal
4 CollectA Ankole/Watusi bull
4 Mojo Arabian mare in foal
4 Rebor Tyrannosaurus rex
7 Papo Siberian husky

A few more stats and one more winner  Suspect

So With 407 votes, CollectA is the 2014 STS Brand of the year king

And congratulation to the 149 members who voted in the Final poll ( Last year we were only 80 Wink )

Last edited by Kikimalou on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:00 am

CONGRATULATIONS to Papo cheers

And GREAT work , CollectA Applause

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:16 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Congrats to the Papo snow leopard and CollectA! Worthy winners Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:23 pm

Congratulations to the Winners! cheers

Back to top Go down
Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:18 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://atrlacollectiondeflorian.weebly.com/
Ana

Country/State : come from Poland now live in The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Congratulations to the winners!! cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:11 pm

Congradulations! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:24 pm

Did the Papo Hippopotamus Cow win? That was my favorite of the year. I hope it did.

Seriously though, the Papo Snow Leopard is fantastic. And CollectA released so many spectacularly good models, it was kind of overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
costicuba

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:19 am

@SUSANNE wrote:
CONGRATULATIONS to Papo cheers

And GREAT work , CollectA Applause

cheers Bravo ! cheers
Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:14 am

Congrats to ALL. Applause cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard   

Back to top Go down

The STS 2014 Animal figure of the year: Papo snow leopard
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions :: STS Figure of the year-
Jump to: