Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cherilea Running Hare

Go down 
+5
Roger
SUSANNE
scot(t)
LeeAnn
Chris Sweetman
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Cherilea Running Hare Empty
PostSubject: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 8:44 pm

First issued in hollow-cast lead in 1955. This is a later example made in hollow plastic. It is a large scale and would be more at home size wise with Elastolin 70mm animals than Britains 1:32nd scale ones.

Cherilea Running Hare 16473102881_b67fedb42a_z
Cherilea Running Hare 3

Cherilea Running Hare 16473884882_7ac019f6b7_z
Cherilea Running Hare 2

Cherilea Running Hare 16287138378_042e5702ab_z
Cherilea Running Hare 1

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 9:55 pm

He has so much action yet all four legs are on the ground cheers Beautiful model!

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Lovely sculpt. I really like that a lot.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Cherilea, - another brand I never heard of Very Happy

That model certainly has plenty of charm , - congratulations for finding him, Chris sunny

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Another British treasure presented with British quality! cheers Lovely hare! albino 🐰 Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 7:15 am

Very very interesting figurine. :) Thanks
Have you more informations about this brand, especially about their wildlife animals?

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:14 am

widukind wrote:
Very very interesting figurine. :) Thanks
Have you more informations about this brand, especially about their wildlife animals?

Here's a group photo of them - mostly rather crude copies of Britains zoo range, + the Timpo elephant, + former lead Cherilea and JoHilCo animals - the Cherilea company was started by former JoHillCo people, and bought many of their moulds when JoHillCo finally closed down.

Cherilea Running Hare <a href=Cherilea Running Hare Img033_zpseak0ki1n" />

Cherilea produced some excellent figures in lead, and some of their earlier plastic figures were very good too, but they then declined in quality rapidly. They were regarded as a cheapo brand (Similar to Charbens, who also produced excellent items in the old lead days, but declined in the 1960s plastic era), usually sold in small local general stores and cheapo big stores like Woolworths.

If anyone is interested, for historical and completion collecting purposes (no one would want them for their artistic or accuracy appeal!) I have spares of most of them to sell or swap for vintage plastic by Danish, French & German (including former DDR) brands.
Note, I don't have duplicates of the Triceratops at the front of the photo, from a set of 6 Dinosaurs by Cherilea, I think the same as the Timpo dinosaurs.

Note: The running hare was in their farm range. There was a sitting up hare too. I have a spare of each, + lots of spares of others in their (also crude) 1960> farm range. Also a few spares of their earlier and much nicer plastic farm range
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 11:50 am

Thank you Chris and Dave for all these good pics Very Happy I am asking myself which ones are originals because I can see a lot of copies here scratch
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Original JoHillCo/Cherilea designs, bearing in mind that Wilf Cherrinton designed for JoHillCo before he left with Mr Leaver to set up Cherilea - the name from the first parts of their names, some previously in lead for either/both, were:
Top row: camel, baby giraffe
2nd row: female deer, zebra, stag deer, rhino
3rd row: all of them
bottom row; sitting chimp, monkey/ape with ball, pelican, rolling panda, triceratops, croc, penguin, seal, anteater.

Copies:
Top: Timpo elephant, Britains (lead & plastic) bison & adult giraffe
2nd: Britains (lead & plastic) wolf, ostrich, & kangaroo
bottom: Britains plastic (poor copy of) standing gorilla, sitting panda, walking polar bear
Britains (lead & plastic) giant tortoise
The otter with fish we've discussed here before, made in lead by JoHillCo, but a copy of a very early, and now very rare & expensive, Austrian cold painted bronze item, probably by Bergmann.

Not in this photo, but probably also by Cherilea, discussed in the Britains elephants thread, was a copy of the Britains lead baby Indian elephant.

There were many other unmarked copies of Britains figures which it is not known for sure scratch who made them, but JoHillCo and Cherilea are among the 'usual suspects', along with Paramount, Speedwell, & Trojan, although they often changed them a bit, so they weren't quite direct copies.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 1:08 pm

The original anteater looks a lot like a smaller copy of the Hausser Anteater Suspect Laughing

Cherilea Running Hare Tamanoir-9
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Yes, indeed it does.
I would have said so - if I knew about Hausser anteater, which I didn't.

All I knew was that it was made for a long time (pre-war) by JoHillCo, probably before Wilf Cherrinton's time with them.
I did wonder why the lead (& later plastic) versions were way over sized to fit in with a nominally 1:32 scale range - this explains it.

Also, of course, the otter with fish was way too big for 1:32 for the same reason, it was a direct copy of an Austrian bronze, and Austrian bronzes were all over the place regarding scales.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Thank you :)

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks LeeAnn, Scott, Susanne, Roger, Andreas and Christophe for your comments. All appreciated. Very Happy

Also to Dave for the extra details regarding the Cherilea company and their products. Very Happy

Coop

Country/State : Winfield , Il. USA

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 1:28 pm

Widukind , I really like the seal , otter , Black leopard , and the rhino figures !
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Coop wrote:
Widukind , I really like the seal , otter , Black leopard , and the rhino figures !

Thanks but they are not mine :)

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cherilea Running Hare   Cherilea Running Hare Empty

Back to top Go down

Cherilea Running Hare
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Vintage Companies :: Vintage plastic-
Jump to: