Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)

Go down 
+2
Kikimalou
LeeAnn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) Empty
PostSubject: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Here's a little walkaround of the secret/set-only Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (Leptodora kindtii) released by Kaiyodo in 2014. Its slip gives it the alternate identification of Animatales #289, too. It was sculpted by Shinobu Matsumura. At 6,5cm long (scaled roughly at 1:0.3) it is the largest animal gashapon Kaiyodo have done as I understand it, and it is a fine one indeed.

The factory slip that comes with the model:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The species represented is the predatory water flea Leptodora kindtii found, according to Wikipedia, in temperate lakes across the Northern hemisphere. It is the largest planktonic cladoceran, probably the only cladoceran ever to make an appearance in a newspaper (see here), and is apparently known for its difficult laboratory cultivation and extremely transparent construction. This latter feature allows it to camouflage itself against the sky so as to avoid being eaten by fish. According to researcher anecdotes, the camouflage works so well also when viewed from above that often it is only possible for a human to locate the animal in a pool of water by the shadow it casts on the bottom.

Kaiyodo have represented this transparency of the animal very well, and I've in turn tried to do those efforts justice in the following photos, which is why they differ in their lighting somewhat from the more usual diffused-light studio photos I do. Here's the creature:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

For comparisons and general intrigue, here is a link to Google hits on pictures of the real animal. Here on a useful Zooplankton site by the University of New Hampshire you can view additional information and two video clips of the creature, too.

As you probably notice, Kaiyodo have taken great care to accurately represent not just the animal's topography with its six setose (brush-tipped, if you will) prehensile legs and long, segmented body form, but also the animal's innards. The staring black dot of the compound eye is present inside the plastic, as are faintly tan-coloured organs, which are moulded inside the carapace.

Despite its gracile construction and many appendages, the figurine has been engineered so it snaps together without difficulty or significant confusion, and feels relatively solid once assembled. The different parts fit together by small nubs and holes, virtually none of which remain visible on the model once assembled. No seams can be felt on my copy of the model; some inevitably show up against the light in certain orientations. There is no base, which I found a bummer, but then again the model does stand securely and reasonably gracefully in a tripod stance.

All in all, it's a very well made model of an exceedingly cool little subject; I highly recommend it.

Last edited by koniminiatures on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 3:47 pm

A very interesting creature. Great photos too! Congrats!

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Who except Japanese brands are able to make such an incredible model of an incredible creature ? Thank you for this nice walkaround Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Fabulous model, and impressive photos cheers

koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks everyone - glad to hear you liked it.

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 9:51 am

Strange model:)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 3:44 pm

It's a strange creature too, no?

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 12:04 am

Thanks to Christophe I've found this walk around! This is a tremendous figure and I'm being as much transparent as I can in my opinion. It is surely not an easy task to replicate an animal like that and Japanese again are giving us lessons and showing us that they can fly without limits.
Pure beautiness as a drop of water being crossed by the sunlight.
Lea, I miss your walk arounds on forum but I am positive I'll see you back once I believe you're like the watercycle and the rain is not always synonym of storm but also of prosperity. :)

koniminiatures wrote:
It's a strange creature too, no?

Yes, the model is as much as strange as the real creature what is a huge praise to this company! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)   Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret) Empty

Back to top Go down

Kaiyodo 2014 Capsule Q Museum Animals of Japan part 5 - Lake Biwa set 11 'Noro' water flea (secret)
Page 1 of 1