Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)

Go down 
+9
sauroid
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin
JonasV
Ana
widukind
Kikimalou
costicuba
donny ong
SUSANNE
13 posters
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) Empty
PostSubject: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyThu Feb 26, 2015 9:56 pm

I have been asked to make some pictures, comparing these two beauties to each other, and am delighted to do so Very Happy

Searching the net for pictures, it becomes clear that wild boars can look very different.
I suppose it depends on age, time of the year, health, - and probably also local variations...but should somebody know more, it would be great to hear about it  study

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here are our two friends.The boar from Mojo and the sow from Safari  pig  pig

There are plenty of differences, - perhaps the most eye-catching is the face :

The Safari lady is more stocky, and smaller :

The length of the snout, the shape of the forehead, ears etc ...

But both have this fantastic, effective digging-tool at the end of the nose  Laughing

Different hair styles for pigs  cheers

A great detail from Mojo : Each pig-foot has two open, sharp, tri-angular "hooves" with a soft pad in the middle.
The first time I touched the foot of a live pig I was very much surprised..
I thought is was like the feet of a cow, but - it is like soft rubber with a rather thin, steel-hard, sharp, V-shaped chisel on each toe  Shocked

Mojo almost got it !  Applause

I look forward to read y'all's comments  Very Happy

pig pig pig Very Happy

Last edited by SUSANNE on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 1:33 am

Many thanks for the comparison Susanne. Beautiful photos. Beautiful figurines also.
My opinion:
Mojo (I have this): better legs, better head in overall (snout, eyes, tusks), better texture
Safari: better body (Mojo's is too thin, I think), better tail, better painting

Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 2:23 am

Great great comparison cheers
I realy like how you point all details..all differents, with nice and funny comments, and wonderful photos :)
And actually, the second photo of an real, wild bore is exactly the same like the model by Mojo.. Maybe this is the photo, which the sculptor had use..?.. Rolling Eyes
Thank you Susanne sunny
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 7:07 am

Thank you Susanne for this meeting between "Born to be wild" Mojo and "Give peace a chance" Safari Ltd.
They are both wild boars without a doubt even if I prefer the Mojo smaller head and longer body. For me the biggest difference isn't strictly physical, it's the totally different mood between them. Seeing how two sculptors produced so different interpretation is really amazing for me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 9:11 am

I live ke both:)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 10:42 am

Thankyou, guys !! flower

Kikimalou wrote:
Thank you Susanne for this meeting between "Born to be wild" Mojo and "Give peace a chance" Safari Ltd.

lol! lol!

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 10:57 am

Thank you for comparison Susanne! I think Mojo is on more realistic side and Safari has something cartoonish in it, mainly thanks to the painting and the sleepy eyes. Both are very nice! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 am

Both are great! Thanks Very Happy

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Country/State : Russia

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 1:02 pm

Safari's one looks not bad, but I like Mojö better. He is more realistic.
Thank you for sharing! cheers

'Til then I walk alone.

Back to top Go down
http://schwarzwolfin.deviantart.com/
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 3:25 pm

they look great together, but the sow has bigger tusks than the boar...
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 4:04 pm

sauroid wrote:
they look great together, but the sow has bigger tusks than the boar...

Perhaps it is a very young boar Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyFri Feb 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Wild boars are succesfful creatures and can be found in a huge range. Naturally, there are a lot of subspecies and a remarkable variation among them.
Usually, when the subspecies is not identified, the figure is usually based in Sus scrofa scrofa - Central European boar once it is the most common subspecies in Europe.

Sus scrofa scrofa
Central European boar

I believe that Japanese brands base their work in another species -
Japanese wild boar (Sus scrofa leucomystax)
Small, almost maneless, Yellowish brown subspecieswith distinctive white whiskers extending from the corners of the mouth to the cheeks.

There are many other subspecies and here an example.
Indian boar
Sus scrofa cristatus
Long-maned species with larger, more sharply featured and straighter skull, smaller, sharper ears and overall lighter build.

Fortunately someone can assign these 2 figures to different species.
I love these comparison topics, with such diversity it is hard to say what is right or wrong.
Though, my preference goes clearly to the Mojo figure. Safari's is more similar to regular pigs, being stocky and with a somewhat cartoonish appearance. I don't know if Safari based their animal in the feral boars that are common In North America and that often interbreed with escaped European boars.
Pose and proportions of Mojo are brilliant and fortunately tusks are not exagerated as we see often in many figures! cheers

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 7:08 am

Very interesting thread! The photos, the topic, and the comments are great.

I have both of these Wild Boars. I can't decide which one I like better. Initially I preferred the Mojo -- I liked its texture and the artistry of the sculpting. However, after browsing pictures of Wild Boars online, I've come to see (or at least I think I've come to see) that the head of the Safari model closely resembles many wild boars in a way that the Mojo doesn't. Moreover -- and this is the contrast that most occupies my attention -- the safari head is thicker and the Mojo head is really skinny, almost bizarrely so.

So, I'm not sure that I find the Safari "cartoonish" as others have suggested. It seems to me -- based on my very limited information -- that these Boars may each correspond better with a particular subspecies. I take this to be part of Roger's point. In online pictures, some Boar's head are thicker and much more closely resemble the Safari head. Other Boar's heads are thinner and resemble the Mojo.

Is one really more naturalistic and accurate than the other? or do they correspond to different ways real boars can appear?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 8:41 am

Thankyou, Roger, for this interesting ansver cheers

How fortunate we are to have such a wise crocodile in this forum Very Happy

Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptySun Mar 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Lovely set of comparison photos Susanne. Smile Smile Wild boars vary so much in size and shape due to the huge amount of subspecies as shown by Rogers photos.Wild boars at the extreme of their range like in Japan and Spain/North Africa then to be small and light coloured were as those in Eastern Europe and Siberia then to the darkest and largest.Also Wild Boars can easily interbreed with domestic pigs so that this can sometimes infuence colour and size as well.

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Thank you for the comparison. The Safari looks more attractive here than on the stock photos.

I was thinking of getting a companion for my Papo wild sow, but I wasn't sure if the Mojo would be too large. Seeing these two together, it seems that all three figures may be compatible, size-wise, after all?

PostSubject: Re: Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)   Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-) Empty

Back to top Go down

Comparing the wild boar from Mojo to the wild boar from Safari :-)
Page 1 of 1