Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting

Go down 
+4
widukind
costicuba
Ana
Kikimalou
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting Empty
PostSubject: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 8:23 pm

A right whale has distinctive callosities (roughened patches of skin) on its head, along with a broad back without a dorsal fin, occasionally with white belly patches, and a long, arching rostrum, or upper jaw, that begins above the eye. The callosities appear white due to large colonies of whale lice. Right whales are very large, robust whales that can grow up to more than 18 m (59 ft) long and weigh up to 100 short tons (91 t; 89 long tons), almost as big as bowhead whales and much larger than other species with high dependencies on shallow waters. An unusually large 40% of their body weight is blubber, which is of relatively low density. Consequently, unlike many other species of whale, dead right whales tend to float.

Since I already had the Schleich Right whale, why did I need to catch the smaller M+B which is really small to represent one of the largest species of whale? First I thought the M+B was the same than the Schleich but pics soon convinced me something was different with this one. I liked the pics I saw of the Portuguese model and a conversation with Mr Andre Mursch aka Brontodocus achieved to persuade me it was time to spend some money.

The M+B is small but very beautiful, with a delicate painting and a very precise and accurate head, far more accurate than the Schleich one's head( which is very nice too Wink )

Watching pics is better Laughing

The Schleich 14558 Right Whale first, made from 2006 to 2009.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And now the Maia & Borges 13008 Right Whale, made in 1998 and 2012.

Swimming together

Last edited by Kikimalou on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:27 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 9:41 pm

Thank you for walk around Christophe! I like them both very much! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Thank you Anna Very Happy

Shocked Very... Shocked ... Very... scratch ... Unusual avatar  today Laughing

Last edited by Kikimalou on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 10:10 pm

Thank you Kikimalou! I like your new hair style too Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 12:14 am

Hahahah Laughing
Kiki, great models....
but..great horns and hair style too lol!

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 5:15 am

Nice whales!  And i was wrong to think it is the same mold :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 8:05 am

Yes Kosta, Anna and myself are fashion victims Laughing

Andreas, I was surprised the first time I look at it closely in Brontodoncus collection, these two models are completely different.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 5:37 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Yes Kosta, Anna and myself are fashion victims Laughing

Andreas, I was surprised the first time I look at it closely in Brontodoncus collection, these two models are completely different.
Oh yes, he have a great collection too:)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 1:13 am

Very interesting comparison to help us finding the right whale! Laughing
First, thanks for helping us breaking a myth, maybe if someone asked me before checking, I would think also they were the same. Now I know I was wrong about the right whale theory.
Brontodoncus has really a very interesting collection and when there is something that I can't find in STS, what is rare, I always check if Andre already posted it in any other place. I am a huge fan of his walk arounds too, I wished STS deserved also to have his walk arounds. bounce Not a question of fair play from me, Andre has really a very special way of collecting and of enjoying his figures.
Neverthless, we can't complain, we have fantastic friends, collectors and "walk arounders " on forum, just look at your pictures! cheers

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Country/State : Russia

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 3:56 pm

Great comparison, Christophe!
I liked both whales, but Schleich one looks more natural, I think.

'Til then I walk alone.

Back to top Go down
http://schwarzwolfin.deviantart.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 1:46 am

Roger wrote:
Very interesting comparison to help us finding the right whale! Laughing
First, thanks for helping us breaking a myth, maybe if someone asked me before checking, I would think also they were the same. Now I know I was wrong about the right whale theory.
Brontodoncus has really a very interesting collection and when there is something that I can't find in STS, what is rare, I always check if Andre already posted it in any other place. I am a huge fan of his walk arounds too, I wished STS deserved also to have his walk arounds. bounce Not a question of fair play from me, Andre has really a very special way of collecting and of enjoying his figures.
Neverthless, we can't complain, we have fantastic friends, collectors and "walk arounders " on forum, just look at your pictures! cheers

Thank you Rogério, as you I enjoy a lot Andre, his collection, his walkarounds and the way he is collecting Very Happy

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin wrote:

Thank you Anasta cheers Nevertheless I think M+B is more accurate than Schleich, especially for the head. Indeed it reminds me your excellent topic about the weird Papo Howling wolf. Wink For example, Right Whales have very narrow upper jaws, the Schleich is far too broad and the M+B is right. It is the same for the nostrils, better on M+B. Wink
Back to top Go down
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Country/State : Russia

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyFri Apr 10, 2015 2:22 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin wrote:

Thank you Anasta cheers  Nevertheless I think M+B is more accurate than Schleich, especially for the head. Indeed it reminds me your excellent topic about the weird Papo Howling wolf. Wink For example, Right Whales have very narrow upper jaws, the Schleich is far too broad and the M+B is right. It is the same for the nostrils, better on M+B. Wink
Agree with you, each model has its own advantages and lacks Smile
I looked trough your photos again and now I can see their differences. M+B is really more accurate!

'Til then I walk alone.

Back to top Go down
http://schwarzwolfin.deviantart.com/
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyWed May 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Great Right Wales! The one from Schleich is darker, which is typical for a Pacific Right Whale. The one from M&B is a bit bluish and so it's a perfect Atlantic Right Whale. The skin colour and of course the the ocean, where they dwell are needed to distinguish between them.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyWed May 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Nice idea, I never thought about this but you are absolutely right (whale of course Wink )
Back to top Go down
Florian

Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting EmptyThu May 10, 2018 9:09 am

Nice comparison. Thank you for this topic :)

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting   Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting Empty

Back to top Go down

Right whales: The Schleich and Maia+Borges meeting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: General reviews and discussions :: Comparison topics-
Jump to: