Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Outdoors...

Go down 
+3
WILLYBACOMAN
Philter4
HKHollinstone
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

Outdoors... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Some more pics of the Hausser elastolin zoo-enclosures   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 1:51 pm

See for yourself...
This is the rest of the zoo-enclosures by this brnad.
And they have loads of farm-houses and barns too! affraid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 3:28 pm

That brand has loads of great things, I really like the rocky enclosures, they look really good. Can you still buy them new?
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Oh yes, they have for sure!
Those rocky enclosures are in the style of the Hamburg "Hagenbeck" Zoo from that time.
And they were quit modern and revolutinary for their time, as they showed animals without bars between the animals and the public.

No, they are not made anymore, as nothing from Hausser Elastolin.
Only bigger hollowcast plastic copies from the animals by Preiser Elastolin.

I want all of those enclosures too, but i found only one untill now.
And i had the "raubtierhaus 1"(predatorhouse) in the past.
They are very hard to find, and quit expensive then.
Here is the only enclosure that i have.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Ah, most nice things have gone out of production these days, shame.
Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 12:44 am

Berlinzoo954 wrote:
Hello Marina,
It is not a problem, i for one did not take this the wrong way, but i felt i needed to explain to you the differences, since they were really very hard things to compare to eachother, but i think i understand where you were coming from.
Must people choose to post pics of the animals in outdoor settings, and you have some very good pics like the ones that my friend from England took, excellent light reflection as you well mention.

And i agree with you 100% about the dioramas for the most part aim at coming as close to nature and all other things of life as it can be made possible, i made mention of a diorama allways being artificial, because that is the nature of it, even dioramas in zoos inside buildings where they keep animals are artificial man made, nature did not make create them, it is a replica, some very good, others not so.

But at the end a diorama does not have to aim for realism i suppose, my whole vision with dioramas is to come as close to life as possible, and i believe i have been making a very good effort in all areas. But let's say that our friend Willy wants to make a diorama of a Victorian zoo with britain figures, that is a diorama as well of britain figures, or our host Torben, who happens to have one of the finest collections of Schleich anywhere, wants to do a diorama exclusive of Schleich figures, that is a different aim as well, but still a diorama.

The ideal thing would be to be able to recreate a diorama in Nature itself, about two years ago when i fully develop a new vision of my zoo project, i thought about doing the diorama outdoors, taking full advantage of Nature, and given our good Miami Weather, it would have been an easier task than living in England i suppose, but there were too many factors, the Weather even here is terrible, and most things would wear with time, instead of investing thousands of dollars in landscape art for my diorama, i could have just planted bonsais, (the real ones) but that also was a problem, the maintnance along would have been a nightmare, never mind losing trees to bacteria and many different things.
And there is allways the chance of a disaster, a hurricane, even with a roof like i thought of it, i would have been impossible, so indoors it is, the downsize reduced space.

By the way welcome to this forum, from Miami as well.

It's alright Danny, I just wanted to be sure not to offend. tongue Especially someone like you, who creates such fantastic diorama pieces.

The outdoor diorama would be a wonderful thing, but I understand your concerns about the weather. Sometimes humidity and salt in the air from living right by the water will mess up my drawings and books --and those are INSIDE the house. If outside, those elements could ruin some of your diorama supplies easily, and let's not even think about having to take it all part in the case of a hurricane! No

It is very nice to meet someone else from Miami. I have never met any other fan of animal replicas in my area. Are you on Facebook? Feel free to look me up (Marina Neira) I would love to keep in touch with you there. Hope this isn't too forward, I'm just thrilled to have met another animal replica aficionado in my city! Wink
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 2:10 am

Nice blogspot you have Marina!
And nice Safari animals too!

I was in Miami long ago, back in 1988 or so, just for a short 10 day hollyday.
I stayed in the Marriott hotel then.
Nice city, nice weather and much other nice things... Wink
I visited the Miami Zoo and Miami Sea Aqaurium in those days of course.

And now i have to see how i can manage to put the link to my website here too, as you seems to manage it... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

Country/State : Miami, FL

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 9:51 pm

"The outdoor diorama would be a wonderful thing, but I understand your concerns about the weather. Sometimes humidity and salt in the air from living right by the water will mess up my drawings and books --and those are INSIDE the house. If outside, those elements could ruin some of your diorama supplies easily, and let's not even think about having to take it all part in the case of a hurricane!"

I wouldn't even want to think about a hurricane, not for me, i could never do anything outdoors, i have to be keep to my available space indoors, oh well.

"It is very nice to meet someone else from Miami. I have never met any other fan of animal replicas in my area. Are you on Facebook? Feel free to look me up (Marina Neira) I would love to keep in touch with you there. Hope this isn't too forward, I'm just thrilled to have met another animal replica aficionado in my city!"

It is very nice to meet another member of this forum that actually lives in my city as well, we do have Phil too, he lives in Fort Lauderdale, but for now he stays in California. I have developed a very nice relationship with him, and i'm very glad that i have since it is very difficult to find other individuals with the same interest as myself, and Phil is a standup guy, and now you have joined the forum, and i looked at your art, and it's beautifull, excellent drawings and photos.

I do not have a facebook, not even sure how does the book operates, and i'm not 100 years old What a Face, just never got into the whole thing, i do visit a lot of forums of similar interests and post there, there is zoochat for zoo enthusiasts, i love zoos, i visit a few of the diorama making forums, (too bad they are not into animal figures) but i still get tips and inspirations from people that love miniature scenes.
And this forum here i plan on making a permanent home, used to post in the LG, but there is too many moderators and rules and things that make no sense at all.
But hopefully you stay here in the forum with us and share all of your ideas and thoughts, it is really nice to meet another member in Miami.
Back to top Go down
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 1:48 am

Berlinzoo954 wrote:
It is very nice to meet another member of this forum that actually lives in my city as well, we do have Phil too, he lives in Fort Lauderdale, but for now he stays in California. I have developed a very nice relationship with him, and i'm very glad that i have since it is very difficult to find other individuals with the same interest as myself, and Phil is a standup guy, and now you have joined the forum, and i looked at your art, and it's beautifull, excellent drawings and photos.

Thank you for the kind words about my work, and especially about my photos, I consider myself very much an amateur when it comes to these, but hope to get better with time.

I wonder if once Phil comes back we could all meet once in a while. :) Since it's uncommon to meet people with these interests in one's area.

Berlinzoo954 wrote:
And this forum here i plan on making a permanent home, used to post in the LG, but there is too many moderators and rules and things that make no sense at all.
But hopefully you stay here in the forum with us and share all of your ideas and thoughts, it is really nice to meet another member in Miami.

That reminds me. I am aware that something bad happened in the LG forum and at least one member (Willy?) left because of it, but that was after I arrived. Did someone insult someone else or something? I'm sure you want to leave whatever happened behind, but I am curious because it seems like a friendly place at least on the surface, and especially now that you mention many moderators and rules, I did not think there were that many. But then again I just joined. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 4:22 am

I hope to meet you in person one day, and as my health improves I will be back for a visit as soon as I am able. If you just joined you may not know my situation, but without going off topic too much I just had my second multi organ transplant. The first was over 12 years ago, and lasted 10 perfect years but finally failed 2 years ago, and I was relisted. My surgery was March 22 and I was home in 7 days, and doing really well so far.

But back to animals, I don't collect for complete series, I make the dioramas, that is my passion. But because I don't get whole series I love to meet others who have different interests because I then get to see the other figures that are available, where otherwise I would not have a clue as to what figures are even available. Sometimes I even run into a figure that someone has that is in the correct scale and then I try to track it down for the current or a future diorama. Right now I'm into plants (thanks to Danny) more then animal figures. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, in fact that is how I make my living, collecting and selling wild species of animals to zoos, aquariums and private sales, but the quality of Danny's model maker, and the new laser cut plant kits from Japan, are so accurate that you can tell what type of tree or plant it is supposed to be, rather then the old model railroad lichen or colored foam plants.

Well, I hope to meet you when I make my first trip home, I'm guessing the end of summer, but if things go well maybe earlier, the best weather for scuba diving in FL is June, but I don't think I can travel that soon. Danny and I have developed a great friendship, and he is very knowledgable on custom figures and the Japanese egg toys, which happen to be some of the best made commercial figures around. Hope to see lots more of your collection her and on the other site, you mentioned the problem that caused people to leave that site, it had to do with the posting rules, not members who are very nice and helpful as a group. I still post on both sites, but I like this one better.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:30 am

"I wonder if once Phil comes back we could all meet once in a while. Since it's uncommon to meet people with these interests in one's area."

That sounds really good, Phil and i had already talked about something like this, and is really great to know that you share our passion for animal figures, and hopefully you get into the diorama passion as well, maybe take some pics, i have some pretty interesting models, and if you like miniatures, i have one of the best 1:12 scale collection of exotic architectural modesl, from Asian cultures, African cultures and Egyptian cultures as well, some pieces that i have been lucky enough to get thru contacts in Asia are over 50 years old.
Just like Phil has really gotten involved in the collection of scale model plants and trees, i'm very involved collecting furniture/lamps/benches/statues etc in 1:12 scale for my zoo, and it sort of started becoming a hobby, because the items were so incredibly detail you could not tell the difference from real life. So i'm all over the place now, animal figures, scale plants and miniature architecture/furniture

""That reminds me. I am aware that something bad happened in the LG forum and at least one member (Willy?) left because of it, but that was after I arrived. Did someone insult someone else or something? I'm sure you want to leave whatever happened behind, but I am curious because it seems like a friendly place at least on the surface, and especially now that you mention many moderators and rules, I did not think there were that many. But then again I just joined.""

Well Phil went into that better than i could off explain it, not sure what was there even to explain, i just feel this forum is a little more focused on what i really enjoy exchanging ideas about dioramas and animal figures etc.
Plus it is an avenue to find other individuals that share similar passions, as yourself.
At times in the other forum, the minute you made mention of selling an animal or anything for that matter, unless the sale was taking place in the forum, it got taken down, yet they had links to many sites that sold animals and other toys, did not make sense to me, so i'm here full time now, i'm sure Torben has no problems with any of this.

We are all one happy family here. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:47 am

You know Phil,

We talk about so much, so much to write about, so many emails, and everytime you mention your collection bussines, i thought you meant actual collections, calling joe smith at 8 am and 7 pm and asking when he was going to pay his bills.

I knew you had some very good connections in the exotic animal trade, since you had mention this at times, but i missed the whole part about that being the collection bussines, wow, you just keep on getting interesting, did i mention to you that i'm a huge fan of zoos, i have visited, well i lost count, many many zoos and would visit every zoo in the world if i could, something about the layout, the structures, the exhibits, that just does it for me, weird i know, but there is whole website outhere of crazy people like me, it is called zoochat not sure if you have ever visited, but they have many members there with exotic collections, and private animal farms, zookeepers, even zoo designers, and even one of the premier zoo book's writer in the country, they are all about animal collections and finding species and things like that, is this what you do?

I have never had any exotic, well mammals that is, i had a few bird species, but never the ones i really wanted, i have currently some parakeets, canarys, and a lovebird. I have a very nice pond that took me a very long time to build with help, and until recently i had a pretty decent amount of Koi, the problem is i also have a man made lake in the back of the house, and a cursed Heron confused my pond with a chinese buffet and the greety bastard took most of the fish, i bought a net to cover the pond and its two survivors, but i guess the raids of the evil Heron took a toll on one of the kois and it collapsed the poor fellow.
Now i have only one koi and i have been thinking about realising him to the lake, but i'm worry that he will only become other fishes lunch.

In the other hand, i thought about buying a Phyton and realising the animal into the pond, something about facing my fears, but once the guy at the local pet store found out about my plans, he thought i was crazy, i allways wondered what would it be like to have a giant python or Anaconda, no chance now, they are both banned by state law.
Anyways this thread is officially all over the place.
Back to top Go down
Berlinzoo954

Berlinzoo954

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 6:48 am

I'm starting to sound like Willy, JK Willy, i could never be as crazy as you.
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 8:25 am

Danny, this will be quick, but I will send you emails, but yes, I collect animals for public and private collections. I have scaled way back with my health, I can no longer go for months to the jungles of the world, but I collect live animals (now it is almost exclusively salt water tropical fish from Florida, Hawaii and sometimes other Caribbean areas) and some reptiles. In the past I have travelled all over the world for fish, both salt and fresh, and reptiles. I don't do birds, by personal choice, and mammals I get from breeders, game ranches in Texas, or zoos, but as I mentioned I don't need to do that anymore and it will be a huge load off to not have to deal with them.

Remind me and I'll send you some emails about it.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 1:51 am

Haha, this tread is really going off topic, but what does it matter, as long as it is in our field of interest.
And i am pretty sure, Torben doesn't mind...

And yes Danny, i can be very crazy, much more then you can even imagine, haha.

It was my dream too, to make a zoo in real life, or at least having a very big famr with all of the possibilities too, to keep animals there from all kinds of species.
But i stepped out of this dream, and i am sticking to make a miniature one one day, like you /danny, only in another scale, and on another level...

Im am in the tropical fish-business for more then 34 years now too, and that on a daily basis, so Phil and me have another field of common interest too.

What happened on LG is in the past, as we are all gathered here now, and like Danny said, this forum is more for people like us.
I could tell everything around here, but i feel that that would be just a matter of loosing energy on something that is not worth it anymore...

PostSubject: Re: Outdoors...   Outdoors... - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Outdoors...
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3