Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?

Go down 
+5
Roger
LeeAnn
NightLioness
SUSANNE
Kat26
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kat26

Kat26

Country/State : IL USA

Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? Empty
PostSubject: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri May 15, 2015 12:12 am

I don't really know where to put this topic, but this looked pretty good. Razz I wanted to discuss this; why do so many brands make one model of a breed (that year) that is almost always male? Anyone have any ideas? It seems so many models are male. I understand that with many animals, such as birds, the males will tend to be "prettier". Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about this. rabbit
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri May 15, 2015 8:45 am

You already said it, - often males are more impressive : Antlers, muscles, aggressive poses and such Very Happy

Or perhaps they believe that most collectors of wildlife are boys, who prefer male animals for playing fights scratch

NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri May 15, 2015 10:14 am

I agree with you on the 'Males are more attractive.' part. Most children do recognize male animals due to books and school lessons. Brands tent to also make baby animals with the 'farther' so in most cases a young and a 'dad' is in my collection. Examples are the Schleich Kudu and calf, Collecta Tapirs and my recently bought Mojo Fun Golden Retrievers. I'm categorizing my collection atm, and I go nuts on all the males XD

Kat26

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri May 15, 2015 2:30 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
You already said it, - often males are more impressive : Antlers, muscles, aggressive poses and such Very Happy

Or perhaps they believe that most collectors of wildlife are boys, who prefer male animals for playing fights scratch

Good point. They most likely think girls=horses and boys=wildlife. Mad Razz
Back to top Go down
Kat26

Kat26

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri May 15, 2015 2:34 pm

NightLioness wrote:
I agree with you on the 'Males are more attractive.' part. Most children do recognize male animals due to books and school lessons. Brands tent to also make baby animals with the 'farther' so in most cases a young and a 'dad' is in my collection. Examples are the Schleich Kudu and calf, Collecta Tapirs and my recently bought Mojo Fun Golden Retrievers. I'm categorizing my collection atm, and I go nuts on all the males XD

lol! You're right most animal books only show the male, such as lions or peacocks.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri May 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Going along with the male species often being more attractive, if I child sees, for example, a male deer with beautiful antlers, and a doe next to each other on the shelf, which do you think he would pick? Probably the male. So the females are often hard sells. Very Happy

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri May 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Yes, that's just a commercial decision. Males are almost always more impressive creatures so they sell better. Though, there are some exceptions. Kangaroo females are more common in toy shape. Why? Because they have a pouch with a baby. Ants are almost exclusively females, we rarely see males in real so the image we have of an ant is about females. Some spiders are also almost always exclusively represented as females like black widows... por males! Laughing
In farm series there are also some queens. Although rooster are more impressive than chickens, we see much more hens than roosters. I think it is just a cultural thing. I am not sure but I believe the most part of sheep we see are ewes. Very Happy

Dutch Bear

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri May 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Roger wrote:
Yes, that's just a commercial decision. Males are almost always more impressive creatures so they sell better. Though, there are some exceptions. Kangaroo females are more common in toy shape. Why? Because they have a pouch with a baby. Ants are almost exclusively females, we rarely see males in real so the image we have of an ant is about females. Some spiders are also almost always exclusively represented as females like black widows... por males! Laughing
In farm series there are also some queens. Although rooster are more impressive than chickens, we see much more hens than roosters. I think it is just a cultural thing. I am not sure but I believe the most part of sheep we see are ewes. Very Happy

Are you comparing women to killing spiders, hard-working ants, baby-carrier kangaroos, unimpressive chickens and sheepish sheep?
I might be gay, but that is lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptySat May 16, 2015 8:36 am

Dutch Bear wrote:
Are you comparing women to killing spiders, hard-working ants, baby-carrier kangaroos, unimpressive chickens and sheepish sheep?

Laughing Laughing

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 10:58 pm

Dutch Bear wrote:
Roger wrote:

I might be gay, but that is lol! lol! lol!

No, no. What he means is that the companies will represent the sex which is EASIER TO RECOGNIZE AT FIRST SIGHT. For example, male deers are more often represented than does, because the species of a buck, with the shape of the antlers, is easier to recognize than the species of a doe. It is the same thing for ducks: Male Labrador ducks were very easy to recognize with their black and white plumage. But what about females? A female Labrador duck looked a lot like modern female eiders. So, a toy company will most likely to represen a male Labrador Duck than a female. However, when it comes to spiders or angler fishes, since the female is a lot more recognizable, the female of a Black Widow Spider (to use the same example) will be immediately recognizable, while a male Black Widow Spider, as a toy, risks to be welcomed by the question: "what in the world is this?". Same thing for a male angler fish, which will be very hard to recognize in the eyes of most customers. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:48 am

Well said, BowheadWhale Applause

Bowhead Whale

Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 9:18 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Well said, BowheadWhale Applause

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
FluffySlipers

FluffySlipers

Country/State : Wiltshire,

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 9:48 pm

As I want to collect pairs, I'm struggling with this at the moment Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
barracudacat

barracudacat

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? EmptyFri Dec 02, 2016 10:53 pm

I've noticed this phenomenon as well and also think it has something to do with largest antlers/horns/most impressive build. That being said, I've noticed many sharks are female. This doesn't surprise me since the most impressive specimens are that gender. I wonder if the same thing is true for other female dominant species.

PostSubject: Re: Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?   Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do many brands make lots of "lone" male models?
Page 1 of 1