Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My first repaint

Go down 
+4
LeeAnn
costicuba
SUSANNE
snakemaq
8 posters
AuthorMessage
snakemaq

Country/State : Canada

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 3:23 am

Hi everybody

Last week I did my first repaint
I'm new in this hobby and this is my first attempt

I choose de CollectA Sable Antelope. The figure is excelent but i was not very happy with the paint job. To grey and the face doesn't look like the real Sable for me

Here is the results

My first repaint 4B0652490

My first repaint D1489D123

I'am think I used wrong paints for this job. I used aeromodelism matte enamel (Recomendation of Michael's seller) but Im not really happy with the results. The paint looks a little bit glossy and sticky.

Next time (The Mojo Gaur)  I' am planing use acrylic paints.

Is acrylics the right paint for figures??
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 8:17 am

I can't see any pictures Sad

snakemaq

Country/State : Canada

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 9:23 am

My first repaint _agm4811

My first repaint _agm4812
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 1:19 pm

your repaint look`s beautigul :)
I never tried the paints , which you used for this model, but
the acrylic paints are perfect for repaints and many of us use them for animal models :)
So you can try acrylics next time....also you can check some tutorials...if you need more info :)
or you can always ask anything...there are many people who can help you here :)
Good luck with you next project :)

Admin
SUSANNE

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 6:46 pm

Wonderful idea to repaint this beautyful model, - you did a great job cheers

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Excellent work! Very Happy

I don't think your paints are an issue (acrylics work fine too if you decide to go that route) - it's more likely your primer. What brand primer did you use? I always have trouble with this type of plastic going tacky, the only primer I've had luck with is Tamiya, and seal with Testor's Dullcote. Anything else goes tacky on me. If you can't find Tamiya, you should be fine using any kind of primer but seal it with Dullcote before painting. Smile

Admin
SUSANNE

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySat Jun 13, 2015 7:22 pm

LeeAnn wrote:
Excellent work! Very Happy

I don't think your paints are an issue (acrylics work fine too if you decide to go that route) - it's more likely your primer. What brand primer did you use? I always have trouble with this type of plastic going tacky, the only primer I've had luck with is Tamiya, and seal with Testor's Dullcote. Anything else goes tacky on me. If you can't find Tamiya, you should be fine using any kind of primer but seal it with Dullcote before painting. Smile

Sorry, but what is primer ? Shocked Embarassed

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 12:02 am

Primer is the (usually white, but comes in other colors like red and grey) layer that goes before paint to prepare the model for paint. Wink It helps the finishwork last longer and not peel away from the model over time.

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 12:12 am

Excellent for a first go. :)

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 12:43 am

LeeAnn wrote:
Primer is the (usually white, but comes in other colors like red and grey) layer that goes before paint to prepare the model for paint. Wink It helps the finishwork last longer and not peel away from the model over time.

Yes, primer is for example, what the painter has to put on canvas before to paint with oil paints...
or in this case.. primer for acrylic paints... it is good to use it...especially when the model is glossy and the material - slippery :)
I didn`t use before for the models, but I`m planing to buy Vallejo acrylic primer. I tried to paint a model, which has a slippery surface,
without a primer.....and it was a big mistake.. Evil or Very Mad

Admin
SUSANNE

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 8:36 am

LeeAnn wrote:

Ahhh Idea
I thought it was just to hide the original colour, but it seems to have many purposes .
For instance also absorbs whatever makes the surface sticky, I had no idea Embarassed Very Happy

Oryx7557

Oryx7557

Country/State : new zealand

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 9:03 am

looks wonderful cheers cheers i love antelope all i did when i was younger was look them up an study them haha but this is amazing paint job im also new to the repainting thing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptyMon Jun 15, 2015 10:23 am

Very nice repaint! Congrats! Smile
I think acrylic paints will be a good choice, I use them all the time too. You can add some shading with pastels or pigments also, this works very well with acrylics paints. Smile
When you paint in acrylics try to use rather thin layers of paint, more thinner layers usually result in more matte finish. That technique also prevent from texture loss.
Can't wait to see what you will do with Mojo gaur Very Happy bounce

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 3:48 am

Very nice work. I also brought out the white more in my Sable models.

My first repaint Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first repaint   My first repaint Empty

Back to top Go down

My first repaint
Page 1 of 1