Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds

Go down 
+12
widukind
pipsxlch
SUSANNE
Sergey
Kikimalou
Ana
WILLYBACOMAN
lucky luke
costicuba
teddi12
LeeAnn
NightLioness
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds Empty
PostSubject: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:31 am

These walk arounds will become my series of the Yujin Freshwater Fish series. My main motivation is that the Yujin freshwater fish series do not have any walk arounds on this site, which is a shame because they make some great models. It is also an attempt to flood (!) the site with some fishes, because there simply have not been enough lately. Wink These walk arounds are also in separate threads on the Animal Toy Forum; this format (1 thread, multiple walk around posts) will probably work better here. And why not use them in several places?

I will be doing them in numerical series order, minus the couple species I do not have.

For those not familiar, the Yujin Freshwater fishes were released as two series of fish, for a total of 32 fish figures. This number includes at least 3 secret figures (whose numbers remain in sequence--all figures are marked somewhere with the number) but does not incorporate a number of re-issues and repaints; there was at least one complete reissue (from which mine all come so far). The original releases, from what I can find, had yellow papers; the second release used light blue for the Series I and black for Series II. The entire set, with all variants and secrets, is actually available as a boxed set on YAJ (for around $300!), but individual figures can be found there or even on eBay for a variety of prices (the secrets & specials are of course the most expensive). Myself, there are still two or three species I don't have, but I haven't put a lot of effort into changing that...

Another nice thing about these Yujin fish model is that, like most Yujin releases, almost all of them come with a natural base and acrylic stem to display them (the Series II has a few exceptions). There are 4 or 5 bases used, plus a few unique ones for some specials. When I received mine several years ago, the fish+acrylic stems were not directly associated with the bases, so I just went with whatever worked (so if you have one or two, and the base is different, now you know why--I couldn't find a way to be sure if the bases were specific). All of the bases are based on natural environments--wood stems, gravel, river rocks, silt+plants, that sort of thing. Most are monochromatic, but a few are painted differently (again, often for the specials). In fact, if I wanted to get really pedantic, the bases themselves are labelled with letters based on the style, but I won't.

One other thing--when I give the lengths of the living species, I will be using the length given on the figure’s paper for consistency. Some of them seemed off, but they seem close—often better than my original usage of the Fishbase TL (unless the FB one is more interesting…). When there are more than one, I will use the higher values. And the scales will be rounded and approximate!

After this post, it will be picture posts! Soon!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Ayu (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:48 am

This figure is the Ayu, apparently also called the Sweetfish, Pleccoglossus altivelus, number 01 from the first series. This is a fish found in East Asia, in Japan, Korea and eastern China. They are seasonally anadromous, heading to sea upon hatching, wintering there, and then heading back up stream. Given the name 'sweetfish' it's probably not surprising that they are a food fish, with a sweet aroma to their meat. TL of the Ayu is 30cm.

This model is about 5.5cm long, making the figure roughly 1:5. It is in a straight-but-curving pose, as expected from a quick-swimming species. On the base, the rod goes in at a slight angle, giving a bit of rise to the fish (although it could just as easily be descending if it were turned). I have the figure on the tree-stump base.

The figure is a pretty lively one, with fairly bright eyes and distinct colours. Ayu have shown up from several Japanese makers including Kaiyodo and Colorata. Unlike some, this figure is a single piece model.

Pictures:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I refer to this one as the bowhunting tournament pose--a hole in it, tossed on its back...but it's easy to see the detail that Yujin puts into every side of the models (and can often see the numbers in the photos).
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: White-Spotted Char (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:50 am

This figure is the White-spotted Char (also known as iwana in Japan), Salvelinus leucomaensis, number 02 from the first series. This salmon and trout relative is a fish found in East Asia, and can be landlocked or ocean-running. As with many Japanese fish models (though not all) it is widely fished for. TL of the White-spotted char is 120cm according to Fishbase, but everything else I found said 80cm.

On the same Fishbase entry, and after the SWA entry, there is a different paragraph that says 35cm for landlocked, 70cm for sea-going. I will need to be more careful. I'll have to see if I can determine which version this should be.

This model is about 7 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:5 or 1:10, depending on what TL size you use. It is in a basic swim pose, and has the very characteristic salmonid look. The colouring is very detailed, with the distinct-but-graded coloring, spots and faint bars present, plus the noticeably red tail. This one is on the light brown river rock base. Overall the figure has a somewhat calm demeanor compared to some of the Yujin fish. As will be a running theme with many of the Japanese fish in the Yujin series, this species has shown up in other Japanese lines.

Pictures:

I refer to this one as the bowhunting tournament pose--a hole in it, tossed on its back...but it's easy to see the detail that Yujin puts into every side of the models (and can often see the numbers in the photos).
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Cherry Salmon (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:51 am

This figure is the Cherry Salmon (also known as masu in Japan), Oncorhynchus masou masou, number 03 from the first series. This salmon is a widespread, anadromous subspecies found along the Pacific Coast in Japan and Korea. Not surprisingly, Cherry Salmon are fished commercially and as game fish. TL of the Cherry salmon is 35cm.

This model is about 6 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:6. It is in a basic swim pose, and has the very characteristic salmonid look—complete with open mouth, probably looking for food. The colouring is detailed, and if we are being picky, lacks the darkened back and redder splotches of a fully mature individual. This one is on the grey river rock-with-plant base. Overall the figure has a somewhat calm demeanor compared to some of the Yujin fish. As will be a running theme with many of the Japanese fish in the Yujin series, this species has shown up in other Japanese lines, although I am not 100% certain of this particular subspecies (I know that the biwa trout, Oncorhynchus masou rhodurus, has shown up in other sets, for example).

Pictures:

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Rainbow Trout (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:55 am

This figure is the Rainbow Trout, probably one of the most familiar North American game fish, Oncorhynchus mykiss, number 04 from the first series. This trout is widespread throughout North America, and parts of the Kamchatka peninsula; they are also introduced into many other places including, of course, Japan. Their sizing is quite variable depending on location, subspecies and whether it is a landlocked or sea-going form; the TL given by Yujin Is 80cm.

This model is about 6 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:13. The pose is pretty much similar to the trout and salmon models so far (they can only get so variable). The colouring is of course detailed, showing the dark back and pink sides of a mature freshwater male. This one is on the grey outcrop rock base. Like the other trout models, this one has the calm demeanor compared to some of the Yujin fish. As will be a running theme with many of the Japanese fish in the Yujin series, this species has shown up in other Japanese lines, but the wide range of the species means that it has also shown up from other makers, most notably Replica Toy Fish.

Pictures:

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Chum Salmon (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:55 am

This figure is the adult Chum Salmon, also known as Dog Salmon or Keta salmon, Oncorhynchus keta, number 05 from the first series. This trout is widespread throughout Pacific Asia and North America, ranging widely in the oceans and travelling far inland for breeding. The Chum salmon is a very deep bodied. Their sizing is quite variable averaging 60cm; the TL given by Yujin Is 100cm (so it’s probably based on a British Columbia variety, where the record of 112cm was caught.

This model is about 7.5 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:13. The figure is in an active swimming pose, with a face clearly meant to invoke a large male. The colouring reflects a fish that has already headed upstream for breeding, although it is not in full-on breeding colours, with large teeth in the jaw. This one is on the grey version of the river rock base. I am not fully aware of other specific Chum Salmon figures by other companies, however, the Chum Salmon is one of the Yujin figures that has a distinct colour variation—an almost black version, with deep red vertical markings, likely specific to a certain location and reflecting the peak of breeding season. I’ve only seen it available once on YAJ, and while I’m not big on variant figures, it looks pretty cool!

One other point about the Chum Salmon model—it is the first figure to come in two separate pieces (head & body). There are not many, and it’s not always clear why some figures are in two parts and others are not.

Pictures:

This is the figure in two parts:

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Japanese Huchen (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:56 am

This figure is the Japanese Huchen, also known as Sakhalin taimen, Parahucho perryi (apparently, renamed from Hucho, number 06 from the first series. This primitive member of the trout and salmon family is found in limited areas of the northwest Pacific—Hokkaido island in Japan, the Russian Sakhelin Island, and far-eastern portions of mainland Russia. This is also one of the largest living salmonids, the Yujin model said 100cm, but they have been found at 200cm. Unfortunately this large fish is under a great deal of direct and indirect pressure and is considered critically endangered; some captive breeding is done in Japan.

This model is about 8 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:25 (if using the 100cm length, it is 1:13, on par with the previous few salmonids). The figure itself is an adult male (although they can change sex) in a fairly straight pose, with a much smaller curve than many of the other salmonid figures from Yujin. The colour is very well-done, reflecting the spotted sides with a distinct shading from green to white on the sides. This one is on the brown version of the river rock base. I am pretty certain that the only other Huchen models are likely from Kaiyodo—the only one I could find is the Aquatales Polystone series, and it almost looks too trout-ish to me. The Yujin captures the long-bodied appearance of the Hucho better (but that’s just my opinion).

Like the Chum Salmon model, the Japanese huchen also comes in two separate pieces (the split is just behind the dorsal, with a pelvic fin on each piece). In the case of this one, the straight-line longest model, that makes sense for fitting into whatever the original package was.

Pictures:

This is the figure in two parts:

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Big-scaled Redfin (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:56 am

This figure is the Big-scaled Redfin, known in Japan as Ugui, Tribolodon hakoensis, number 07 from the first series. It’s the first non-salmonid since the first figure, the Ayu , a smelt. The Big-scaled redfin is one of many minnows referred to as a ‘dace’, which is not specifically defined as anything other than a type of minnow (kind of a pointless word then…). This species is commonly found throughout Japan. I’ve also found reference to them as somewhat popular aquarium fish. The Yujin model states that the normal size is 30cm, but they can range up to 45cm or so (fairly large compared to most people’s image of a ‘minnow’).

This model is about 5.5 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:5. The figure itself is based on the adult male in a fairly horizontal pose. Females are much duller in colour, so it’s no surprise that they went with the bright red and black longitudinal stripes, it stands out quite a bit from most of the series which tend to the more natural browns, greens and greys of many fish. And yes, the fins are red! The base for this one is the river gravel with plant, the green actually contrasting well with the fish (meaning it would probably get eaten pretty quickly…). Given the widespread familiarity of the Big-Scaled Redfin in Japan it has shown up from other Japanese companies a few other times, including in the Colorata River sets, from Kaiyodo in the Birdtales series (under the genus Leuciscus) and from the Kitan Club Nature Technicolor series.

Pictures:

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Pale Chub (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:57 am

This figure is the Pale Chub, known in Japan as Oikawa, Zacco platypus, number 08 from the first series. We appear to now be beyond the salmonids; the Pale Chub is another cyprinid (‘minnow’). The Pale chub is a small carnivore that is normally found along eastern Asia from the Korean peninsula south to Vietnam. This species is also found throughout most of Japan. Like the Big-scaled redfin I’ve found reference to the Pale Chub as a somewhat popular aquarium fish. They are also fished by fly-fishermen. The Yujin model states that the normal size is 15cm.

This model is about 5.5 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:3. The figure itself is based on the adult male in a fairly horizontal pose. This is clear not only from the bright colours but from the long, elaborate anal fin. It’s another nice, bright fish figure in the set, again standing out quite a lot from the more subdued species. The distinct colours and large scales are well painted and sculpted, respectively. The base for this one is the upright wood, although the gravel with plant would make more sense (it can be changed easily). Like many of the fish figures that are species found in Japan it has shown several times from other Japanese companies a few other times, including in the Colorata River sets, several Kaiyodo Capsule and other sets, and from the Kitan Club Nature Technicolor series; I am guessing that there are others as well.

Pictures:

Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Rosy Bitterling (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:57 am

This figure is the Rosy Bitterling or Baratanago, Rodeus ocellatus, number 09 from the first series (the Yujin paper refers to it as the subspecies R.o. ocellatus but it appears all subspecies may have been collapsed together—there is some discrepancy there). The Rosy bitterling is a cyprinid (carps & minnows) found in two populations, in Japan and mainland China and Taiwan. Or at least it was two populations, although it appears the Chinese version has been introduced into Japan as well, where they hybridize. Like the previous cyprinids, the Rosy Bitterling is frequently found in aquariums, except this time I can personally attest to this, having had them in stock in aquarium stores (back in the day). The Yujin model states that the normal size is 8cm, although sexes and populations vary.

This model is about 4.5 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:2. The figure itself is an adult male (so it could potentially be 1:1 scale, as males are smaller) with the bright blues the species is known for. It’s a bright little figure, and looks pretty much like it popped right out of an aquarium. The base for this one is the grey gravel with plant; with the plant being plastic, it adds to the fish-tank vibe. I know that I have seen this fish done by Kaiyodo in the Animatales lines, possibly others, but I don’t know if any other company has made them as well.

Pictures:

Normally I’d have the bowhunting tournament pose picture—but I didn’t take one! It doesn’t really illuminate much. Maybe I couldn’t get the acrylic stem out of the holes?
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Paradise Fish (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 4:58 am

This figure is the Paradise Fish (or Paradise Gourami), Macropodus chinensis , number 10 from the first series. This is the first and only anabantid figure in the set. The Paradise Fish is a generalist species that is found, like many of the fish in the series, in waterways throughout eastern Asia from Korea to Vietnam. Although highly adaptable and overall common in their range, they are apparently considered threated in Thailand due to pollution (which has allowed mosquitoes and their associated diseases to increase—lousy ecological cycles); and then, in Japan, they were deliberately introduced (for pest control!) and are considered invasive. As with the few previous entries, the Paradise Fish is common in aquariums—in fact, it was one of the first ‘exotic’ aquarium fish available to the ‘western’ world. They remain popular, despite being quite aggressive, mainly because they are also very attractive. The Yujin model (and other sources) states that the normal size is around 7cm.

This model is about 5 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:1 (rounding—and also, most Paradise Fish do not reach 7cm). The figure is a bright, colorful one, highlighting the bright blues and reds of the species (and still not fully doing the real fish justice). The bright green cheek patch, though, is a little too exaggerated. The scales and fin rays are distinct; the pose is more of a hunting or searching pose, as the figure’s fins are fairly relaxed. The base for this one is the grey gravel. I cannot actually recall another figure of this species, but could easily be wrong—on the other hand, it is not a true Japanese fish, so those companies may be less inclined to make one; and non-Japanese companies simply don’t make enough small freshwater fish, so it’s doubtful (though I would be happy to be wrong).

Pictures:

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Beautieful Yujin fishes- i have a lot of the saltwater serie :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 3:30 pm

widukind wrote:
Beautieful Yujin fishes- i have a lot of the saltwater serie :)

Thanks--I only have a couple of the saltwater series. Just never got into them!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 8:17 am

Wonderful fish figures. drunken

Yujin was really on the top with "not mainstreamed" animals. I never attempted to catch those ones because I think a collector needs to have limits but it is a real pleasure to look at them. I am myself a great fan of their turtles and frogs sets.

Your pics and explanations are excellent and I'm very happy you are showing them on STS. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 8:41 am

Wow, these are excellent! They show beautifully the subtle colours and shapes of freshwater fish drunken My favourite is probably the rainbow trout, such a lovely coloration Very Happy

Also very educative, I don't think I have heard about half of these species ever before Very Happy

thank you for posting the great topic cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 9:23 am

Thank you for this topic! Very Happy The time and effort are strong with this one :3
Yijin is a brand that I start to know as I collect more and more of their animals now.
These fish are absolutely stunning! The fine details and species chosen are great cheers
The info with every fish is very interesting study cheers

My favorite? Hmm, hard one. I think it must be the Big-scaled Redfin cheers drunken

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 11:31 am

Awesome models, - and such a fantastic topic cheers

Like Anna, I find it very educative.
I never got to know much about fishes, even if they are so fascinating Embarassed

Thankyou very, very much for sharing, it must have taken you hours and hours to make drunken

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 12:12 pm

For any reason I missed this topic and fortunately Kiki pointed me to it. Very Happy
The excellence of your presentation could make me feel ashamed of not commenting here to thank your effort. Very Happy
I've read twice your topic, it is so interesting and makes me feel tempted to collect this kind of figures. Very Happy
They seem to be very well done, maybe the paradise fish is the only that hasn't convinced me at all but it is a very good figure anyway. Very Happy
I'll be back here for sure and many thanks for your fantastic topic! cheers

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 12:17 pm

So many beautiful models and excellent walkarounds cheers cheers cheers cheers

Thank you very much for putting this all together - that's a lot of work! Shocked

teddi12

Country/State : Romania

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Very nice topic .I really like how Yujin make such incredibly species of Freshwater fishes.Very happy to see this post. Applause Applause Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks everyone--freshwater fish overall don't get enough love from toy makers, and Yujin may have the best range so far. I will get more up in the next little while, I've been away for a couple days!

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Great models you showed us Sbell :)
It is realy interesting to see them in your nice photos with great info :)
Thank you for that :)

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 9:09 pm

Thank you for these wonderful information Sbell, yujin freshwater fish are amazing I became adept at these smaller models charming, beautifully painted. I have already collected frogs, turtles, some lizards.
often admire these freshwater fish that fascinate me; and reef fish equally sumptuous;;;
Often I got them under the magnifying glass, but not in my cady !!!!
In collecting all things must come to as and according to priorities.
thank you for your images and explanations ....

Very Happy cheers Applause Cool sunny
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Japanese Rice Fish (Yujin - Freshwater Fishes Series 1, second release)   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 12:42 am

This figure is the Japanese Rice Fish (or Medaka or Japanese Killifish), Oryzias latipes, number 11 from the first series. This is the only beloniforme fish in the set; this order includes other surface-oriented fish like flying fish, needlefish and halfbeaks (but, not killifish—taxonomy can be weird). The Japanese Rice fish is found throughout Eastern Asia, living in a wide range of shallow and slow-moving bodies of water like rice paddies, marshes, streams and tidal pools (it is a fresh- and brackish-water fish). Japanese Rice fish have been popular in aquariums for centuries, and their ease of care and short genome means that they are currently used by biologists for a number of different studies. The Yujin model (and other sources) states that the normal size is around 4cm.

This model is about 5 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:1 (maybe even as much as 2:1, as they can be as small as 3.2cm). The figure is a bright little yellow one, and it’s easy to see why a real one would be popular in aquariums. The scales and fin rays are distinct; the longitudinal stripe, silver belly and big eyes are well painted, and the paint on them is nice and crisp. In many ways, the paint and colours (they yellow colour is the actual colour of the PVC) are almost idealized, the real animals tend to be a little more subdued—but it looks nicer on display! The base for this one is the grey wood stem, which, given the surface-swimming tendency, makes more sense than a stream-bottom of some sort. I am absolutely that this figure has been made by Kaiyodo a few times—definitely in Capsule sets, Animatales and ChocoQ. There may be other ones as well but I don’t know—but it’s always good to be wrong!

Pictures:

Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 3:26 am

The real paradisefish was Macropodus opercularis, and is originated in China indeed, a sub-tropical fish which was in fact the really first (sub-) tropical fish in the Western hemisphere, here in the Neherlands in 1895 to be exactly. This is a very related species, the roundtail Paradisefish, which i did never see around here in 40 years of fishkeeping to be fair.

sbell wrote:
This figure is the Paradise Fish (or Paradise Gourami), Macropodus chinensis , number 10 from the first series. This is the first and only anabantid figure in the set. The Paradise Fish is a generalist species that is found, like many of the fish in the series, in waterways throughout eastern Asia from Korea to Vietnam. Although highly adaptable and overall common in their range, they are apparently considered threated in Thailand due to pollution (which has allowed mosquitoes and their associated diseases to increase—lousy ecological cycles); and then, in Japan, they were deliberately introduced (for pest control!) and are considered invasive. As with the few previous entries, the Paradise Fish is common in aquariums—in fact, it was one of the first ‘exotic’ aquarium fish available to the ‘western’ world. They remain popular, despite being quite aggressive, mainly because they are also very attractive. The Yujin model (and other sources) states that the normal size is around 7cm.

This model is about 5 cm long, making the figure roughly 1:1 (rounding—and also, most Paradise Fish do not reach 7cm). The figure is a bright, colorful one, highlighting the bright blues and reds of the species (and still not fully doing the real fish justice). The bright green cheek patch, though, is a little too exaggerated. The scales and fin rays are distinct; the pose is more of a hunting or searching pose, as the figure’s fins are fairly relaxed. The base for this one is the grey gravel. I cannot actually recall another figure of this species, but could easily be wrong—on the other hand, it is not a true Japanese fish, so those companies may be less inclined to make one; and non-Japanese companies simply don’t make enough small freshwater fish, so it’s doubtful (though I would be happy to be wrong).

Pictures:

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds   Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds Empty

Back to top Go down

Yujin Freshwater Fishes (Mostly second releases)--walkarounds
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next