Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The STS 2017 Logo contest is already open HERE Very Happy

Share | 

Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wilorvise

Country/State : Michigan, USA

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

Guys, whoa the stories in this topic makes me dizzy.
Never expected this when I opened up the topic XD

Sorry, I belong to a writers' chat room and people often toss around questions about their character's motivation... I got carried away. Cool

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Lots of interesting thoughts, Laura !
Yes, this business of model animal making is a jungle  Very Happy

I just thought of the only 100% certain case of an employee of Schleich, who moved away and started his own compagny.
And who was in competition with Schleich to gain the right to produce certain products : Mr. Volkmar Klaus, founder of Bullyland.

He was married to Mr. Schleich's daughter , and was considered the "crown-prince" of Schleich.
When they divorced, Mr Klaus left Schleich, and started Bullyland in 1974.
In competition with Schleich, he won the right to produce smurfs in 1974, and shortly after the right to produce models for Disney, the latter still being a major factor for Bullyland .

But stealing - no, no Wink

:idea:Ah, see, now we have the makings of a good rumor:

Take the truths of Mr. Klaus leaving and then making smurfs (which could be said to be taking or stealing from the competition or perhaps at a good price or "steal"), the idea of companies to sell old molds to other companies, mix and then fold in a handful of the tendency for human misunderstandings and mis-rememberings. Bake in the mind for a few years, cool and then serve. :) Laughing

It's quite possible part of her "crazy" happened to be an attempt at control.  If she happened to know all the stats of the Schleich off-hand, that's probably either a LOT of research and/or a bit of an obsession: of keeping herself from being taken advantage of, of wanting the collection she sank time and money into to go to good hands. Perhaps she didn't give you the felines you said you had because she thought you wouldn't appreciate them.  And as for the reason for selling: it could have been several things.  Maybe she needs money, maybe she didn't want it to go to her heirs who only see it as "that collection Mum got obsessed with" and don't appreciate it, being forced to downsize because she's moving (by coercion or her own whim).  Or perhaps it's to focus on a new hobby. Maybe she wasn't completely serious about selling and was just seeing what the market was like... Or maybe she just likes feeling in control and feeling superior. Who know?

Karin, I'm glad you survived with a headache and didn't develop a nervous twitch. Congrats on your negotiation skills. sunny  Applause  cheers

She has a husband who is probably done with her obsession, and was demanding that she sold the whole bunch. She wasn't indeed sure either to sell the lot or not. The lot wasn't long on the site and she probably wanted more for it. I felt bad saying to her that I was a beginner and having up to 350/400 animals in my collection already. But after a long mail contact I had the feeling she all wanted money for it and when she asked: What do you have (which is a strange question to ask a buyer in general IMHO) all alarm bells started ringing... A few... felines... Embarassed And after the photo of the felines she took away I got extra alarmed XD
The lot is for me, but the extra/double I wanted to trade here. So no felines guys, only the old Schleich lions 'who I didn't have...'
Enough rambling about the lady and her obsession XD *Although I'm glad it is out Rolling Eyes*

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://night-lioness.deviantart.com/
NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Guys, whoa the stories in this topic makes me dizzy.
Never expected this when I opened up the topic XD

Sorry, I belong to a writers' chat room and people often toss around questions about their character's motivation... I got carried away. Cool

Whow, well you did a good job on this 'characters' motivation XD lol!

Back to top Go down
Wilorvise

Country/State : Michigan, USA

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:20 pm

Yeah that doesn't sound like she was desperately trying to get rid of them.

Country/State : London, UK

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:18 pm

From what I remember (and this could be very wrong too, I'm not a 100% sure, so take this with a grain of salt) but I'm thinking that CollectA was started by the current owner of Mojo Fun, but then he got booted out of his company and went to start another one, hence why I think that their "early models" look similar.

Hi guys

I know for a fact this is nonsense.  CollectA have never taken a mould from any existing brand least of all Schleich.  I think the woman must have been confused and was thinking Safari Ltd because of the collaboration those two companies had in the 90s.  Ever notice how the Safari mountain goat is a direct and exact replica of the retired Schleich one.  They work together somewhere some how.

Papo's recent Walrus and Manatee models are the same moulds used by Schleich but this is because Schleich retired the models and the Portuguese company Maia and Borges are the ones who own the rights to the that mould.

Secondly, CollectA was not started by the Mojo founder but by a Hong Kong based man who started work with the mojo founder together but then a few years later they split.  CollectA stands on it's own two feet.  CollectA has no need to copy from Schleich as you can see by the types of animal's being made.  If anything  I am sure brands such as Schleich take inspiration from CollectA.  Collecta have released a walking alligator, a palm tree and a snake with an open snarling mouth and then Schleich later release a palm tree, a snake in attack mode and a walking alligator.  No one else had made a walking alligator that I was aware of....so it seems to be CollectA may be starting to inspire other brands Very Happy

Last edited by Numaan on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NightLioness

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:26 pm

From what I remember (and this could be very wrong too, I'm not a 100% sure, so take this with a grain of salt) but I'm thinking that CollectA was started by the current owner of Mojo Fun, but then he got booted out of his company and went to start another one, hence why I think that their "early models" look similar.

Hi guys

I know for a fact this is nonsense.  CollectA have never taken a mould from any existing brand least of all Schleich.  I think the woman must have been confused and was thinking Safari Ltd because of the collaboration those two companies had in the 90s.  Ever notice how the Safari mountain goat is a direct and exact replica of the retired Schleich one.  They work together somewhere some how.

Papo's recent Walrus and Manatee models are the same moulds used by Schleich but this is because Schleich retired the models and the Portuguese company Maia and Borges are the ones who own the rights to the that mould.

Secondly, CollectA was not started by the Mojo founder but by a Hong Kong based man who started work with the mojo founder together but then a few years later they split.  CollectA stands on it's own two feet.  CollectA has no need to copy from Schleich as you can see by the types of animal's being made.  If anything  I am sure brands such as Schleich take inspiration from CollectA.  Collecta have released a walking alligator, a palm tree and a snake with an open snarling mouth and then Schleich later release a palm tree, a snake in attack mode and a walking alligator.  No one else had made a walking alligator that I was aware of....

Thank you Numaan for this information!
This makes things very clear to me, and I am sure for other too Very Happy

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:50 pm

Yes !!! Thankyou, Numaan flower

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:11 pm

Ok, so I knew there was a connection, sorry to confuse anyone. I guess I must've confused it with a movie or something...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Numaan

Country/State : London, UK

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:43 pm

No worries guys, just wanted to clear things up before the rumours get out of hand.....

I have something else to say which may sound biased but I can confirm that Schleich has tried it's best to compete with other brands and to stop new brands coming onto the market. I have received news in the past of Schleich trying to ensure it has most of the market share in home countries such as Germany - forcing sellers to only stock their brand in return for discounts. It has left CollectA in a position of difficult in some countries in Europe where Schleich dominates and this includes Germany and the UK hence the lack of shops that sell them. CollectA sells well outside of the EU and is growing within the EU but this is taking longer because of tactics by the number one player which is Schleich. This story is of course played out across the world in many other types of industry - most famously supermarkets in the UK and so there is no new news here but it does show sometimes underhanded tactics a company can go to to try to monopolise the market.
Back to top Go down
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Country/State : Russia

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:55 pm

No worries guys, just wanted to clear things up before the rumours get out of hand.....

I have something else to say which may sound biased but I can confirm that Schleich has tried it's best to compete with other brands and to stop new brands coming onto the market.  I have received news in the past of Schleich trying to ensure it has most of the market share in home countries such as Germany  - forcing sellers to only stock their brand in return for discounts.  It has left CollectA in a position of difficult in some countries in Europe where Schleich dominates and this includes Germany and the UK hence the lack of shops that sell them.  CollectA sells well outside of the EU and is growing within the EU but this is taking longer because of tactics by the number one player which is Schleich.  This story is of course played out across the world in many other types of industry - most famously supermarkets in the UK and so there is no new news here but it does show sometimes underhanded tactics a company can go to to try to monopolise the market.
I knew it! Evil or Very Mad
I very early has noted that Schleich is everywhere, while they aren't enough cheap to sell them in such amounts bounce Crying or Very sad

'Til then I walk alone.

Back to top Go down
http://schwarzwolfin.deviantart.com/
SUSANNE
Admin

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:18 pm

...and for instance in Denmark, ONE compagny owns practically all toyshops, - so that is why we can only get Schleich here !!!Shocked

It goes the other way too, - the few little shops are complaining that they can't get Lego fro the rest of the year ( Including Christmas ), - only the big ones can get it , so they must have put pressure on LEGO Evil or Very Mad

I ought to coplain to The Danish Competition Council Suspect

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?   Today at 3:53 am

Back to top Go down

Rumor: CollectA stole molds from Schleich?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2