Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!

Go down 
+5
costicuba
widukind
Roger
SUSANNE
sbell
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! Empty
PostSubject: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 4:50 am

So I was asked to create a second Show Us Your thread this month—this one to show the synapsids, those animals that were ancestral to the mammals.

I have…a lot of prehistoric animals, including a lot of synapsids (and prehistoric mammals…I am really behind on those in the other thread). So I’ll get it rolling, but I’m always looking to find others.

I guess it’s important to clarify the synapsids. It would include animals like Dimetrodon & Edaphosaurus (pelycosaurs); Lycaenops (Gorgonopsids); Moschops (Dinocephalians); Placerias (Dicynodonts) and Cynognathus (Cynodonts), as examples. This group of animals is part of the same massive group that includes the mammals, joined primarily by the location of a particular fossa in the skull. Mammals are the only surviving clade, but for a while various synapsid lines struggled for dominance as predators and herbivores; the end-Permian extinction event pretty much put an end to that.

Early figures were often represented as awkward, but upright, reptile-like animals (some were more lizard-ish); some current models and reconstructions make them more mammal-like, often including vibrissae (whiskers) if not hair. Overall, it is not a well-represented group in toy figures; some, like the Dinocephalia, have an insane range of morphology, but because they tend to be obscure, and come from less familiar locales (Siberia, South Africa) they don’t receive much public attention, so they don’t receive much model attention either!

I’m going to try and picture things by name/grouping.

Pelycosaurs:

Dimetrodon (it goes without saying, this is probably the most common one! It's too the point that I often don't seek them out anymore...)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Edaphosaurus

Sphenacodon

Varanops

Varanosaurus

Dinocephalians

Estemmenosuchus

Keratocephalus

Moschops

Gorgonopsids

Inostrancevia

Lycaenops

Dicynodonts

Dicynodont

Queensland dicynodont (Kannemeyeria?)

Endothiodon

Ischigualastia

Kannemeyeria

Lystrosaurus

Placerias

Cynodonts

Cynognathus (some of these are very old school, and very reptile like)

Exaeretodon

Procynosuchus

Trochosaurus

Alright—that’s everything I have. I am really hoping that there are more out there, it’s a very diverse bunch of animals, and it would be fantastic to know what else might be around!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 9:01 am

WOW !!!!! affraid
Utterly awesome collection !!!!

I look forward to having time to take a better look at them.
What a great opportunity for me to try learning more about these, our very-very early ancestors cheers

Thankyou ever so much for sharing Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 12:38 pm

Sean, I am so glad you opened this topic and it is also good that you don't show them all at once! Laughing
It is much easier for me once I only have two to show. pale I am not a collector of prhistoric figures although I find them very interesting, mainly these early creatures. OK, thanks to Susanne's generousness, soon, they'll be three. bounce
But, I think it is interesting to know what each person owns, even if it is already shown. Very Happy  ... am I the only one that will not show a dimetrodon? Laughing

Bullyland edaphosaurus
Bullyland procynosuchus

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Roger wrote:
Sean, I am so glad you opened this topic and it is also good that you don't show them all at once! Laughing
It is much easier for me once I only have two to show. pale I am not a collector of prhistoric figures although I find them very interesting, mainly these early creatures. OK, thanks to Susanne's generousness, soon, they'll be three. bounce
But, I think it is interesting to know what each person owns, even if it is already shown. Very Happy  ... am I the only one that will not show a dimetrodon? Laughing

Bullyland edaphosaurus
Bullyland procynosuchus

Yeah, I kind of overwhelmed in the first post....

But the Bullyland ones are among the best. When Bully was at it's peak, they were the best source for the more unusual species, especially from the Triassic.

Is there an ancient archosaurs thread? There would be several Bullys in that too!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 6:26 pm

The Prehistoric mammals are the first SUY with extinct animals, - I think that for most ignorants like me, it is very difficult to get so much overview that it is possible to split them up, and all of them is much too overwhelming scratch
Also many ( most?) of our collectors do not collect prehistoric animals to any great extent, so suggestions won't get many votes.

But now we have started.  cheers
Perhaps we could be a good idea if the experts thought of a good way to divide them into meaningful bites like it has been done here...and then perhaps make half-month topics a couple of times a year again ? Very Happy

What do y'all say ?

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Hurrayyy, I thought I only had dimetrodons, but with help from TAI, I found these from Starlux  cheers

The dimetrodon :

Edaphosaur Untill these topiucs I thought it was a mammal Wink :

Endothiodon :

Cynognathus

sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Your post made me realized I made an error before--I do have the Starlux Edaphosurus, but didn't realize that I accidentally posted the small Deiner one twice!

Last edited by sbell on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Very interesting SUY

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 12:00 am

sbell wrote:

But the Bullyland ones are among the best. When Bully was at it's peak, they were the best source for the more unusual species, especially from the Triassic.

Is there an ancient archosaurs thread? There would be several Bullys in that too!

No, as Susanne commented, prehistoric mammals was the first SUY dedicated to prehistoric creatures and now this is the 2nd. I agree with Susanne, maybe we can open again a special middle month thread, and ancient archosaurs seems a very good suggestion once I love them either. Very Happy Middle October, perhaps, forum is more active in the last quarter of the year. scratch

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 1:11 am

Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:

No, as Susanne commented, prehistoric mammals was the first SUY dedicated to prehistoric creatures and now this is the 2nd. I agree with Susanne, maybe we can open again a special middle month thread, and ancient archosaurs seems a very good suggestion once I love them either. Very Happy Middle October, perhaps, forum is more active in the last quarter of the year. scratch

It's probably busiest then because that's when the companies start trickling out information for the next year, plus people need to start gift lists for the winter season.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 9:00 am

It is no hurry !

But I surely can't make that topic . Googling, I find on Wikipedia that it must be an immence group, covering " Crocodylia, dinosaurs, birds, and several extinct orders "

Perhaps it would be better to split it up into smaller bites? Prehistoric birds, prehistoric crocs and others that are easier to distinguish for people like me, so it does not all depend on poor Sbell ? scratch

sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 2:44 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
It is no hurry !

But I surely can't make that topic . Googling, I find on Wikipedia that it must be an immence group, covering " Crocodylia, dinosaurs, birds, and several extinct orders "  

Perhaps it would be better to split it up into smaller bites? Prehistoric birds, prehistoric crocs and others that are easier to distinguish for people like me, so it does not all depend on poor Sbell ? scratch

That is true--the most common split is between the 'croc' lineage and the bird-pterosaur-dinosaur lineage. The latter is obviously more common as figures, and would be better split into much smaller clades. The 'croc' one is likely okay as pretty much 'the rest'; even with living crocodilians, there is a limit (and might give more people on the board a chance to contribute! The prehistoric side is not represented well enough in figures!).
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Great mid topic cheers
And great models from Sbell, Roger and Susanne .. Applause

Last edited by costicuba on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 6:47 pm

A Hapdotus longicaudatus as figurine would be great for my collection at work :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 7:27 pm

widukind wrote:
A Hapdotus longicaudatus as figurine would be great for my collection at work :)

I think the closest that exists so far is the Varanops from shapeways. Assuming it is still there...
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 am

Great SUY and impressive collection Sean, I hope we will see more topics like that in the future Very Happy

Here is my small contribution, with nothing new to show I'm afraid... Wink

The Pelycosaurs: Dimetrodons and edaphosaurus

Papo dimetrodon

Safari Ltd dimetrodon

Kaiyodo dimetrodon

Yujin dimetrodon

Linde dimetrodon

Bullyland edaphosaurus

The therapsids:

Sfari Ltd Inostrancevia

"Chinasaur" Placerias

kaiyodo Lystrosaurus

Kaiyodo Trochosaurus

Bullyland Procynosuchus

I'm sorry I have no time to make new pics or family portrait Embarassed

Last edited by Kikimalou on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 am

sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:

I think the closest that exists so far is the Varanops from shapeways. Assuming it is still there...

Thank you :) andthe member of shapeways isnt not so active here in this moment Sad

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 9:11 am

Great critters, Christophe cheers
Your collection is truely stunning !

Please, if you can find time, it would be nice to see the brand and species for each Wink

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 2:35 pm

sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:

It's probably busiest then because that's when the companies start trickling out information for the next year, plus people need to start gift lists for the winter season.

Laughing That's surely the main reason but surely there are some others. :)

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Great SUY and impressive collection Sean, I hope we will see more topics like that in the future Very Happy

Here is my small contribution, with nothing new to show I'm afraid... Wink

Christophe, almost missed your precious contribution with several wonderful figures! What is more impressive is the quality of your choices! cheers

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 3:04 pm

A bit late to the party:
The new Dimetrodon from Kaiyodo, part of the Great Leaps in Evolution exhibition set. I think that's the only one I have that SBell didn't already post.

Last edited by halichoeres on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 3:46 pm

halichoeres wrote:
A bit late to the party:
The new Dimetrodon from Kaiyodo, part of the Great Leaps in Evolution exhibition set. I think that's the only one I have that SBell didn't already post.

I only just got it too! I just forgot that there was a place for it!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 3:13 am

SUSANNE wrote:

Please, if you can find time, it would be nice to see the brand and species for each Wink

Job is done... At last Laughing

sbell wrote:
halichoeres wrote:
A bit late to the party:

Very nice one. Which size? A walkaround maybe? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 6:25 am

Kikimalou wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

Job is done... At last  Laughing

sbell wrote:
halichoeres wrote:
A bit late to the party:

Very nice one. Which size? A walkaround maybe? Very Happy

It's Dinotales size, they've just changed how they do them.

I could try if someone else doesn't, but I'm not going to be around for the next while.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 7:38 am

They've just changed how they do them? What do you mean?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!   Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids! Empty

Back to top Go down

Show us yours (mid-August)--non-mammal Synapsids!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next