Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Very Happy The topic "Animals where you live" won the SUY for December" Very Happy

Share | 

2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:00 am

My daughter is giving me some small Star Wars fish figures for Christmas. A couple of those coral reef sets might make suitable bases for them. I wonder if any local brick-and-mortar stores will carry them?
Back to top Go down
widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:32 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Oh you mean the small one, part of the set. Yes I like it too. That coral reef set is one of the first things I will order from the 2016 releases. I haven't seen anything similar to these recently from any big company.

Yes, and welcome here :)

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:33 am

My daughter is giving me some small Star Wars fish figures for Christmas. A couple of those coral reef sets might make suitable bases for them. I wonder if any local brick-and-mortar stores will carry them?

If not, you are on STS. So it is not a problem for you to get it :)

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:07 pm

I am not in love with it, but I'll probably get the eel. And the shark ray ( even though the Safari and several of the Japanese ones are better)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
under-water

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Schleich just updated their site with the new models Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Schleich just updated their site with the new models Very Happy

Yes, and it seems our community identifyed correctly all figures including the Chilean flamingo or the African reed frog for instance. I like that Schleich uses the scientific names in the website. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
under-water

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:14 pm

They have done a mistake though. The shark in the set identified as a nurse shark ia actually a wobbegong shark. It's an ex-retired model.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:14 am

You forget the sperm whale from Papo :)

You mean the Schleich Sperm whale from Papo? Laughing  I will add it as soon as I will have a decent pic Wink

Papo Spermwhale added with Donhill's great help Very Happy

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:43 pm

Here is a place to post and discuss all the 2016 Sealife models from all brands. New official Pics will be added on the first post when available. Very Happy

Thank you, thank you Christophe for your GREAT job! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Wink

Admin

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:46 am

My pleasure Sergey Very Happy

Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Sorry for my ignorance but which species is the blue octopus from Safari? scratch

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sbell

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Sorry for my ignorance but which species is the blue octopus from Safari? scratch

We shoudl see it in-hand soon, but like many Safari models, I don't think they specify the species (which, to me, is their one major flaw). It should be a given that an animal model at least refer tangetnially to its living model organism--or better, include the binomial name, as a reference for education and collectors, and to demonstrate that their models are accurate to the real thing.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:03 pm

We shoudl see it in-hand soon, but like many Safari models, I don't think they specify the species (which, to me, is their one major flaw). It should be a given that an animal model at least refer tangetnially to its living model organism--or better, include the binomial name, as a reference for education and collectors, and to demonstrate that their models are accurate to the real thing.
I agree completely with you, bringing the figure to the species level doesn't remove in any way its commercial interest and renforce its educational value. Very Happy Most of the major brands doesn't go to the species level, Papo is one of the worst in this regard. CollectA and Mojö on the other hand often identify their species and fortunately Schleich is improving it using the binomial name in their website in figures that are ambiguously identified in their catalogues. Very Happy
I use to think in these large and generic looking octopus figures as giant Pacific octopuses, I may be completely wrong once I haven't researched too much about it and it is just a guess without any knowledge behind. They can change color, is it what Safari wanted to show with this variation? scratch

Back to top Go down
sbell

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:52 pm

I agree completely with you, bringing the figure to the species level doesn't remove in any way its commercial interest and renforce its educational value. Very Happy Most of the major brands doesn't go to the species level, Papo is one of the worst in this regard. CollectA and Mojö on the other hand often identify their species and fortunately Schleich is improving it using the binomial name in their website in figures that are ambiguously identified in their catalogues. Very Happy
I use to think in these large and generic looking octopus figures as giant Pacific octopuses, I may be completely wrong once I haven't researched too much about it and it is just a guess without any knowledge behind. They can change color, is it what Safari wanted to show with this variation? scratch

I'm pretty sure that most octopus figures are the giant pacific, based on color and shape--but the blue one has some weird horns over the eyes, so it might be something else.

As for Schleich and binomials--if the frogs are any indication, those names are not always helpful!

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm pretty sure that most octopus figures are the giant pacific, based on color and shape--but the blue one has some weird horns over the eyes, so it might be something else.

As for Schleich and binomials--if the frogs are any indication, those names are not always helpful!

OK, now I'll see if during the midnight new year I'll drink something that could help me finding what is a blue octopus with weird horns. drunken Laughing Thanks for your help anyway! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
sbell

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:09 am

I'll admit I haven't looked that hard, but the Caribbean Reef Octopus is greenish. But otherwise doesn't look like that...

Back to top Go down
Wilorvise

Country/State : Michigan, USA

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:58 am

"...but only one genus, the small blue-ringed octopus, is known to be deadly to humans. ". - Amazon.com blurb, credit the tag...

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:31 am

"...but only one genus, the small blue-ringed octopus, is known to be deadly to humans. ". - Amazon.com blurb, credit the tag...

If that's the case, they missed the mark badly on the figure's pain scheme. Plus, that's not a genus!

Back to top Go down
Wilorvise

Country/State : Michigan, USA

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:50 am

Well....yes, the genus should be written as its Latin name : Hapalochlaena . but I guess they presumed most people would go "what the----?!" And decided the description in English sufficed? Notable lack of rings notwithstanding.

Probably to appeal to those who like blue....

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:57 am

Well....yes, the genus should be written as its Latin name : Hapalochlaena . but I guess they presumed most people would go "what the----?!" And decided the description in English sufficed? Notable lack of rings notwithstanding.

Probably to appeal to those who like blue....

Especially given the way most octopus can change their colours--why not make a completely, obviously different species.

Or a flamboyant cuttlefish. We need one of those.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19   Today at 3:30 am

Back to top Go down

2016 Sealife from all brands - Updated December 19
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2