Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround

Go down 
+6
Chris Sweetman
costicuba
Kikimalou
Roger
SUSANNE
halichoeres
10 posters
AuthorMessage
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround Empty
PostSubject: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi all, this is my first walk-around, so if I miss some conventions, please set me straight!

In summer 2015, in conjunction with a museum exhibit about vertebrate evolution, Kaiyood released a set of capsule figures: Anomalocaris, a Dunkleosteus skull, Ichthyostega, Dimetrodon, and Homo neandertalensis. This walkaround focuses on the Dimetrodon.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The teeth are lovingly sculpted and individually painted. You can almost hear it hiss.
The walking pose just ripples through the whole body, with the skin wrinkling on the inside and the sail flexing to accommodate its stride.
It's a fantastic sculpt, reflecting evidence that some pelycosaurs might have had a semi-erect stance. I don't have a Dinotales Dimetrodon handy to compare (I must have sold it), but those who have seen it can see that this is a big improvement. The species is given as D. limbatus, and the sail shape reflects that.
This figure is about the same size as a Dinotales figure, so is around 1:40-1:45 scale. This exhibition was pretty recent, so it should still be possible to find these at a reasonable price (pay no attention to the eBay gougers charging $30 a figure, though that might well be the standard price in a year or two).

Hope you enjoyed this, and please let me know if you have suggestions or recommendations!
Back to top Go down
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 8:34 pm

A magnificent model indeed, - and a great walkaround Applause cheers

The sculpting is wonderful, - look fo example how the toes pushes the critter off , and for once the sides show the movement ( as you mentioned) - and I love the paintwork Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 10:47 pm

Conventions? Don't worry about that and my only suggestion is that you keep giving us great walk arounds like this one. cheers
Actually, this figure is so different from what we are used that I thought it was not the type species. Though, it is and it is very lifelike. Love that head, movement and even the sail seems to have some weight over the body of the animal. I am convinced that this replica is much closer than with what these bizarre creatures looked like than the most part of other dimetrodon figures we know. :)
I want also use the chance to thank you the fantastic work you're doing as a Toy Animal Wiki editor. cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 10:55 pm

I have the Dinotales dimetrodon and no doubt this one is an excellent update!
The swinging walking pose seems so natural and the deetails are really fine. Japanese paintings are great lessons for melting beauty and efficiency. ( Well, it's the same for sculpting  Wink )

I avoided buying this one because I'm waiting for the Favorite Dimetrodon and I need to find place... And money.  Laughing
Nevertheless it is an excellent catch.
The Ichthyostega will be with me soon and I'm already sure I will be happy.

I have a few suggestions or recommendations: Don't be shy and come back soon with another walkaround Very Happy

The conventions are easy to understand and to satisfy:
1 - Take a model you like, it doesn't matter if it is rare or not, old or new, unknown or famous. It doesn't matter if someone already made a walkaround, there is enough place to enjoy different ones and since we will soon have walkaround and review Summaries everywhere on STS, it won't be lost.
2 - Take a camera, it doesn't matter if it is rare or not, old or new, unknown or famous. It doesn't matter if you are a pro or not. Do your best. If you need advices, a lot of members here will help you for sure.
3 - Share and wait  cheers

4- Your walkaround is excellent so I can't wait to see the second one Applause
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 10:58 pm

Suspect Roger 22:47 Crocodile
What a Face Kiki 22:55 monkey Sleep

Crocs are too fast for macaques, I need to train myself Laughing
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySat Oct 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

I have a few suggestions or recommendations: Don't be shy and come back soon with another walkaround Very Happy
.....Your walkaround is excellent so I can't wait to see the second one Applause

cheers Applause Applause cheers

costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 12:44 am

This Dimetrodon looks great.
Wonderful model, with interesting posture and nice details.
And yes, your walkaround is just perfect. Wink
Thank you for sharing :)

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 12:47 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Suspect  Roger 22:47  Crocodile
What a Face  Kiki 22:55 monkey Sleep

Crocs are too fast for macaques, I need to train myself Laughing

lol! That's actually more than one hour once I am 1 hour behind. tongue
It shows to Alich that this forum is in pure harmony. :)

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 1:46 am

Hello halichoeres

A wonderful walkaround with superb images. Your description highlighting details is also valuable.  

Nice one. Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:55 am

Phantastic walkaround :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 10:13 am

This walkaround get me tempted to look for this figure. Excellent walkaround, great job!
This is your first? Well, you don't have to have any tips or tricks, keep them coming Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 10:24 am

Great walk around! Applause
Excellent photos, the details are so sharp I thought the model is much bigger, it was surprising for me to see the comparison photo! What a great model, very detailed for this scale! Thank you for this topic and welcome on forum! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Great walkaround, and welcome here!

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks everyone, for the kind words! I'm glad people found it useful, I may post more in the future. This is a great figure, with detail that you would expect from a much larger model. Kikimalou, I have the Favorite Dimetrodon on the way as well! I'm looking forward to opening it.

Thanks again, everyone!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround   Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

Kaiyodo Great Leaps Dimetrodon walkaround
Page 1 of 1