Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Species - African Golden Wolf

Go down 
+3
Kikimalou
NightLioness
Tarunyada
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

New Species - African Golden Wolf Empty
PostSubject: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:10 pm

AFRICAN GOLDEN WOLF

WHAT IS IT?
A genetic study of golden jackals has revealed that they comprise two distinct species that went their seperate evolutionary ways more than one million years ago. Indeed golden jackals in Africa are closer to grey wolves than they are to golden jackals in Europe and Asia. The African golden jackal has become the African golden wolf.

WHERE IS IT?
This first addition to the dog family for over 150 years ranges across North and East Africa. The paper in Current Biology suggests that the species' physical resemblance to Eurasian golden jackals is down to their both evolving from wolf-like ancestors to fill similar niches.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
This golden wolf used to be a jackal

Source: BBC Wildlife, October 2015

Related topics
- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Tarunyada on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Wow, very interesting!
So they used to be one specie, but with more tests and such they are both different.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:40 pm

A great news for Wolf figures collectors Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:45 pm

NightLioness wrote:
Wow, very interesting!
So they used to be one specie, but with more tests and such they are both different.

Yes indeed! There are 3 different jackal species.

Side-striped jackal Canis adustus Central and southern Africa
Golden jackal Canis aureus Southeastern Europe, Middle East, western Asia and South Asia
Black-backed jackal Canis mesomelas Southern Africa and eastern coast of Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia

This new species, African golden wolf, was first the African golden jackal. First was believed that the African golden jackal was a subspecies of the Eurasian one, but genetic studies this year revealed that these subspecies (6 in total) are actually closer to grey wolves, which makes them a 'new' species: African golden wolves. Of course the subspecies are renamed as well:

Algerian wolf Canis anthus algirensis Algeria, Morocco and Tunesia
Senegalese wolf Canis anthus anthus Senegal
Serengeti wolf Canis anthus bea Kenya and Northern Tanaznia
Egyptian wolf Canis anthus lupaster Egypt, Algeria, Mali, Ethiopian Highlands and Senegal
Somali wolf Canis anthus ripariusSomalia and coast of Ethiopia and Eritrea
Variegated wolf Canis anthus soudanicus Sudan and Somalia

Kikimalou wrote:

It sure is! It would be great if they would produce African golden wolf figurines now! cheers

Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Wauw, just wauw.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Very very interesting

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 9:19 pm

NightLioness wrote:
Wauw, just wauw.

widukind wrote:
Very very interesting

cheers sunny study

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptySun Oct 18, 2015 11:12 pm

Those are wonderful news and that's a magnificent creature! Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptyMon Oct 19, 2015 9:59 am

Wow, that's very interesting Julie! Thank you for sharing! cheers

Kikimalou wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Ana wrote:
Wow, that's very interesting Julie! Thank you for sharing! cheers

You're very welcome cheers

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptyTue Oct 20, 2015 4:06 pm

HURRAAYYY cheers

This is SO interesting , - and a big AHA !!! To me !!!!

A long time ago it was discovered that Mediterrainean gazehounds, like my Fidda ( Saluki) , Pharaohound, Ibiza-hound, Podenkos etc, are descendants from the African Golden jackal.
Then others said that, no, there is wolf-genes in them, - and now it seems that both are right bounce bounce

That also explains why they are more shy, and more cat-like in many ways, and do NOT like people outside the family, unless they know them extremely well.

I am so totally exited, if I was 10 years younger, I would hop around the house five times on one leg  bounce  tongue (gasp)  bounce  Laughing

THANKYOU, Julie, for making my day - again flower queen sunny flower

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf EmptyWed Oct 21, 2015 10:55 am

SUSANNE wrote:
HURRAAYYY cheers

This is SO interesting , - and a big AHA !!! To me !!!!

A long time ago it was discovered that Mediterrainean gazehounds, like my Fidda ( Saluki) , Pharaohound, Ibiza-hound, Podenkos etc, are descendants from the African Golden jackal.
Then others said that, no, there is wolf-genes in them, - and now it seems that both are right bounce bounce

That also explains why they are more shy, and more cat-like in many ways, and do NOT like people outside the family, unless they know them extremely well.

I am so totally exited, if I was 10 years younger, I would hop around the house five times on one leg  bounce  tongue (gasp)  bounce  Laughing

THANKYOU, Julie, for making my day - again flower queen sunny flower

Haha, you're very welcome Susanne, I'm happy I could make your day flower This kind of news is always exciting for animal lovers, but I can image it's extremely exciting for you, as a Saluki owner. Very cool to hear you own a dog with wolf-genes; congratulations Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Species - African Golden Wolf   New Species - African Golden Wolf Empty

Back to top Go down

New Species - African Golden Wolf
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: What else ? :: Wildlife-
Jump to: