Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?

Go down 
+3
LeeAnn
SUSANNE
Komodo Dragon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Komodo Dragon

Country/State : California

Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? Empty
PostSubject: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Hello everyone. Thanks for reading this. As my collection has been increasing I've been having a great time. But with the nice feeling of collecting came all sorts of paranoias. I fear some of the typical stuff such as sun light fading, heat, etc. But I feel that it interferes with my life. My mother loves coffee, and she makes it every morning. The kettle is only 10 feet away from my display and I keep thinking smoke and steam are hitting my figures. Then sometimes, my family cooks, and the house is all full of steam and smoke, and it makes me feel paranoid over my collection also. Then sometimes, my parents spray a disinfectant over the bathroom after every use, and the bathroom is only 2 feet away from my display. I keep thinking those are corrosive substances that will damage my figures. Has anyone also experienced this type of concern over a collection? Does anyone have tips on how to stop feeling like this? I would also like to know if steam or smoke are bad for plastic toys after all, or my concern is very unreasonable?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 2:44 pm

I understand you,even if you more nervous than me Wink

It is a fact that strongly smelling things can stick to plastic. I once kept some models in a nice box, which had contained hand soap, - and the models were reeking of perfume for years after !!!
The same with tobacco smoke. That is one reason that people are welcomme to smoke here, if only they do it outside  Laughing tongue

But steam does not harm the models, unless you hold them directly in the hot steam.

I can't imagine that desinfectant in the bathroom should harm the models, unless it is so excessively used that I would be more concerned about my own health affraid

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 5:59 pm

I don't think you need to worry too much Very Happy As Susanne said, most of these won't do any harm Wink Do you have your collection behind glass? It should help ease your fears if you get a nice glass cabinet. IKEA has great ones for pretty cheap - unfortunately I don't have any IKEAS near me so I can't get any more!

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks guys for the awesome reassurances. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? EmptyWed Nov 04, 2015 11:11 pm

I have models for a long time now indifferent rooms of my house and I love to cook. I can't say I smell my collection every week but I had no problems until now. The only thing I avoid is to place animals with thin legs in a shelf above a radiator.
Back to top Go down
Night Elf

Night Elf

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 1:58 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
But steam does not harm the models, unless you hold them directly in the hot steam.

This is good to know, thank you Susanne! I was also wondering about things that could harm my collection, especially since I live in an area with lots of rain and humidity. I know Breyer horses can have many problems with moisture, so it is reassuring to know that PVC animals don't have the same limitations.

Gwaine

Gwaine

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 5:26 am

I only have that with scratching. I am so afraid they will scratch or scrape and sometimes bend when I take them with me on a trip.

Papo: 82
Safari: 150
Mojo fun: 23
Playmobil: 117
Other: 288
~
schleich count: 1222
~
Total: 2156

My DeviantArt: http://tezzieh.deviantart.com/
My Twitter: @Tezzieh
My Instagram: tessa.b.storm
Back to top Go down
https://www.patreon.com/mrsaugustwalker
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? EmptyWed Nov 11, 2015 7:34 am

i am paranoid that my figures in storage are warping, molding, etc. also im an active trader and i worry all the time about the packages i send and the ones i receive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?   Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection? Empty

Back to top Go down

Um.. this is embarrassing but has anyone else felt paranoid over collection?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collector's life-
Jump to: