Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou

Go down 
+4
SUSANNE
Roger
widukind
Kikimalou
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun 08 Nov 2015, 10:10

The ”Dreadful teeth” Daeodon is the last and largest of the entelodonts, an extinct family of pig-like omnivores endemic to forests and plains of North America, Europe and Asia.

It lived in North America between 29 to 19 million years ago during the late Oligocene and early Miocene epochs.

Daeodons had skulls about 90 cm (3 ft) long and were around 1.8 m (5.9 ft) tall at the shoulders. Their limbs were long and slender with the bones of the foreleg fused together and with only two toes on each foot. The big head was mostly supported by muscles and tendons attached to the tall spines of the thoracic vertebrae, similar to those of bison and white rhinoceros.

According to the skull size and eight at the shoulders, the CollectA Daeodon scale is between 1:18 and 1:20. It has avery dynamic pose and very nice details like the fur variations. The speculative colors have a natural look. The only flaw is the four toes hooves, the smaller toes should not be visible or at least far smaller.

Despite Entelodonts were  one of the ”Walking with beasts” stars, toys are rare, AAA, Nabisco, Mojo of course and that’s all… Even Starlux missed it.

So, despite the hooves, this awesome model could be an excellent addition to an extinct mammals shelf. cheers

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Kikimalou on Wed 23 Aug 2017, 13:24; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun 08 Nov 2015, 10:29

And the first again :) Nice pics of a known model :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun 08 Nov 2015, 10:40

widukind wrote:
And the first again :) Nice pics of a known model :)

Thank you Andreas Very Happy I didn't know this model yet, it seems there was no walkarounds in the surrounding area Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun 08 Nov 2015, 12:07

I find this figure very impressive, I am sure daeodon were impressive creatures in real and CollectA got it! Very Happy
I also haven't found a previous walk around, only a two pictures addition topic from Fernando... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Figure seems to respect perfectly the skeleton and I love the delicate legs in a brutal beast. I didn't know about the hooves but I think it is not so relevant as it is in their paraceratherium. Thanks for your great presentation! cheers

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun 08 Nov 2015, 19:28

Thankyou for a wonderful presentation cheers

Funny enough this model never appealed very much to me...perhaps it is the white stripes in the face that makes him look "cheap" at first glance ? scratch

But your walkaround and the quality of your photos are a real eye-opener...the sculpt is indeed awesome Very Happy

It would be great if one of our many artists made a repaint of him ? What about yourself, Christophe ? bounce bounce Very Happy

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptySun 08 Nov 2015, 21:20

Roger wrote:
I find this figure very impressive, I am sure daeodon were impressive creatures in real and CollectA got it! Very Happy
I also haven't found a previous walk around, only a two pictures addition topic from Fernando... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Figure seems to respect perfectly the skeleton and I love the delicate legs in a brutal beast. I didn't know about the hooves but I think it is not so relevant as it is in their paraceratherium. Thanks for your great presentation! cheers

Thank you Rogério, I agree the hooves are a minor flaw but I always feel What a Face that when a model is so good, so alive, so accurate except...

SUSANNE wrote:
Thankyou for a wonderful presentation cheers

Funny enough this model never appealed very much to me...perhaps it is the white stripes in the face that makes him look "cheap" at first glance ? scratch

But your walkaround and the quality of your photos are a real eye-opener...the sculpt is indeed awesome Very Happy

It would be great if one of our many artists made a repaint of him ? What about yourself, Christophe ? bounce bounce Very Happy

I'm happy of my pics changed your idea about this model.

Yes it would be great to repaint it and we have many fine artists here Wink  I am not so bad with brushes and I have better glasses now so I think I will repaint and customize again Very Happy  But I have a long list of models I want to make or to finish... And I will probably make a Notochoerus before Very Happy
Back to top Go down
donny ong

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon 09 Nov 2015, 01:38

Amazing! The figurine and the photos. Thanks Christophe.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon 09 Nov 2015, 08:09

Great walkaround, excellent photos, thank you Chrsitophe! cheers
The model is very interesting and quite nicely sculpted. I cannot say too much about accuracy because these animals are almost unknown to me, i only learn about them from the toy models Laughing
However there is something in the jaw of this animal that makes me think that it looks broken, it doens't open in a normal angle. I have seen similar issue with one version of schleich leopard too in the past, it's like the jaw is jointed to skull just under the mouth opening. Do you know what I mean? Smile
Other than that I agree with Susanne, this model would look greater in handpainted version, it's current colours have a bit cheap look to them.
I think this deaodon has great potential, it has few flaws that are rather easy to fix with skalpel and a bit of epoxy clay and the new painting would make really amazing model from that  Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon 09 Nov 2015, 16:08

Ana wrote:

However there is something in the jaw of this animal that makes me think that it looks broken, it doens't open in a normal angle. I have seen similar issue with one version of schleich leopard too in the past, it's like the jaw is jointed to skull just under the mouth opening.  Do you know what I mean? Smile

You are right Shocked
The lower jaw is not attached to the chin and the strong muscles there...he can't chew , poor thing Crying or Very sad

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon 09 Nov 2015, 20:13

What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face And now I'm afraid scratch If I have to cut the mouth to make it realistic, it would be THE big job then! Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon 09 Nov 2015, 20:48

Don't worry, Christophe !
I took a couple of photos of "all" my daeodons, and none of them have perfect jaws Laughing

Here is a picture of the Daeodon scull at Carnegy museum :

And look, - the AAAs ( right and left ) have much too weak jaws, while the Mojo one ( Masterly painted by Kosta) has a square nose  scratch

This picture is mainly to compare sizes Wink

Aren't they cute ? I love you drunken Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyMon 09 Nov 2015, 23:27

SUSANNE wrote:

lol! lol! At this moment I can't think in anything cuter.  pig

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 00:41

Roger wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

lol! lol! At this moment I can't think in anything cuter.  pig

Laughing Laughing Laughing  The Dalton brothers cheers

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 19:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 07:28

lol! lol!

costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 16:46

Another wonderful walkaround from Kiki :)
And the model is amazing. Love it :)
And also a lovely team from Susanne cheers
Uh, now I see , that my repaint look`s a bit too extravagant with these colors Very Happy

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 17:16

Another great walkaround cheers Congrats my friend sunny

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyTue 10 Nov 2015, 18:03

Thank you LeeAnn and Kosta Very Happy

Kosta, your repaint is absolutely unique and psychedelic Applause
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou EmptyWed 11 Nov 2015, 00:02

Kikimalou wrote:
Thank you LeeAnn and Kosta Very Happy  

Kosta, your repaint is absolutely unique and psychedelic Applause  

Hahha Laughing Thank you Kiki Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou   CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

CollectA 88723 Daeodon - Deluxe 1:20 Scale: A walkaround by Kikimalou
Page 1 of 1