Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy animal WikiToy animal Wiki  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Dictionary  Animal Toy forum  
Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Please vote for Show Us Yours of October! Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
bounce bounce bounce Please check here the incredible line-up of Safari LTD for 2017! bounce bounce bounce

Share | 

A Guilty Pleasure

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ludichris1

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: A Guilty Pleasure   Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:06 am

I'm sure we all have a figurine that we think or know others don't take kindly to or like, but that for some reason(s) or another we can't help but adore. Name one that especially sticks out.

For me, it's the Schleich Killer Whale

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have four orca figurines. The long red-eyed schleich one, the realistic mojo fun one, the open mouth Papo one, and the aforementioned Above Schleich one. I bought them in that order. The first was a good size and expression, but somewhat strange. The mojofun was very realistic, but kinda small and the eye is practically invisible and there is no open mouth to speak of (neither did the first). I bought the papo because I wanted an open mouth one and it had a more S shaped posture. But again I kind of disliked how small the head was. So on a whim I bought the "ugly schleich" one. And bar the flippers and eyes and whether you like it being 'taller" or not it's pretty close to mojo proportionally. Yes the eyes are kinda buggy but the dolphin looks awesome from the front with an epic open mouth no other figure has. Actually looks more realistic on its own from the front than from the side too.

So yes mojo fun's is the most realistic and so it's 'a fav' but because of schleich's open mouth and more inherent expression I can't help but love it equally if not more.

What about you all?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:20 am

No reason to feel guilty Laughing
I enjoy reading your eveluation.

When I take a look at the Orcas shown in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , there is no doubt in my mind that I love the one from Safari's Monterey Bay series best.

It is great that we don't all like the same models Wink

Roger
Admin

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:33 pm

I know what you feel, I am tired of knowing that most collector of horses don't like Papo horses at all, I also know that earlier horses from Papo are not the best in terms of accuracy or manufacturing but despite of all my efforts to reduce my collection, this Papo Barb mare have an eternal place in my collection. Very Happy

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:17 pm

IT is a wonderful horse model Crocodile
I am sure very few will agree, but I somehow prefer it over the fantastic models from Breyer and Collecta Embarassed

Ludichris1

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:38 pm

Yeah that orca actually looks pretty well-rounded...

And that horse has a great face and solid pose :)

I have the papo percheron (hard-ish to find) which I absolutely adore. Clydesdale(?) is pretty cool too. I have some white one I bought on a whim but its front leg looks broken :v regret buying that one
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
IT is a wonderful horse model  Crocodile
I am sure very few will agree, but I somehow prefer it over the fantastic models from Breyer and Collecta  Embarassed

Thanks Susanne, I know you're also a fan of this horse and of Papo horses in general. i think the old Arabian mare, that I also have Wink is even a better example once the figure is even less accurate but equaly delicious. flower

~ Rogério [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:58 am

Yes ! That one is a Papo-monument, too !!! cheers

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:18 pm

My super guilty pleasure has to be the Schleich Shire mare from 2013 I love you
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Carola on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added photo :-))
Back to top Go down
http://www.carolafunder.dk
Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:45 pm

I too have this Papo horse and think its great!!It reminds me a little of the older style horses by Safari Ltd.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:51 pm

My super guilty pleasure has to be the Schleich Shire mare from 2013 I love you

Yes, probably the most emblematic guilty feeling on forum. Laughing Wink

I too have this Papo horse and think its great!!It reminds me a little of the older style horses by Safari Ltd.

Curiously, Safari also made a Barb Horse in early days (1998). Wink
Picture from Susanne's collection.

Back to top Go down
Gwaine

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:21 am

People always seem to be so critical of this guy, but I could eat him right up. He is so majestic!!!

Papo: 12
Safari: 13
Mojo fun: 4
Playmobil: 49
Other: 11
~
schleich count: 469
~
Total: 586

Colelction Archiving Site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My DeviantArt: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My Twitter: @Tezzieh
My Instagram: seemeinshadows
Back to top Go down
http://deanosexual.tumblr.com
Dum_my

Country/State : Nederland

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:22 pm

Haha,
Love to see this topic..
I don't have one that is like 'your' guilty pleaser.
if i will be honest al my horses are a little bit guilty please Twisted Evil
Every body in my life is full of disaproful (sorry if that not the correct spelling)
But i love every model i own I love you

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:35 pm

For me, my entire Schleich collection is my guilty pleasure Laughing I want to sell them, but I just can't get rid of them. I'm selling a good amount of it right now but I can't get myself to sell the rest, especially not the horses Mad Maybe I'll post a photo of my display and see if anyone is interested in anything, and then I don't have to photograph every. single. one. Rolling Eyes

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:59 pm

For me, my entire Schleich collection is my guilty pleasure Laughing I want to sell them, but I just can't get rid of them. I'm selling a good amount of it right now but I can't get myself to sell the rest, especially not the horses Mad  Maybe I'll post a photo of my display and see if anyone is interested in anything, and then I don't have to photograph every. single. one. Rolling Eyes

I could say the same actually Laughing I feel so much more legit showing off my posh & pricy Breyers and Stones to friends and family - but just love the little Schleich horses.. but don't feel much like showing people that I have them - except the forums and internet Rolling Eyes

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Exactly! I happily show off my Breyers/Stones/Resins/what have you to others and pass them off as works of art. The Schleichs, well, they're just toys, nothing to brag about Rolling Eyes

http://mistystarstudios.blogspot.com
Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Simple: Imperial 1983 Dragon Horse figure. Mine is called "Draggin'Yale. But does it count in our discussion? It's not exactly Schleich or Bullyland...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
FluffySlipers

Country/State : Wiltshire,

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:06 pm

Actually I like that, what is it ? it looks almost medieval.
Back to top Go down
Bowhead Whale

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Actually I like that, what is it ? it looks almost medieval.

It is a dragon-horse hybrid lensed by Imperial in 1983. It was lensed along with a winged dragon model (available in three color schemes), a two-headed dragon (available in four color schemes) and three models of unicorns. You can see them here:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
FluffySlipers

Country/State : Wiltshire,

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:51 pm

It looks like it should be guarding a pew in an old church ! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Guilty Pleasure   Today at 6:54 pm

Back to top Go down

A Guilty Pleasure
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1