Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series

Go down 
+4
SUSANNE
widukind
Roger
Tarunyada
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series Empty
PostSubject: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi folks! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As you might have noticed, I like to do some research on animal figurines, especially animal figurines that are tiny and cute. But I'm far from an expert when it comes to vintage animal figurines! I only own one composition model and whenever I find any other vintage figurines, I sure have to ask around before I know anything about them Razz

A few days ago I was searching on the art site deviantART for animal figurines, wolves in particular. I found a wonderful wolf collection from a very friendly lady from the USA whom seems to have joined STS a couple of months ago, but unfortunately can't find the time to share something (EDIT: fortunately, our Fallon is now a full-time STS-member!). But about her wolf collection: I noticed a very beautiful red-brownish wolf figurine in a smaller scale. When I asked her about the figurine, she told me the following:

Quote :
The red/brown wolf in the front is a rare vintage 1971 MARX red wolf from a series they did depicting animals that were considered endangered at the time.

Okay, so first of all.. RED WOLF ALERT!!! As far as TAi goes, whe only know the existence of the wonderful larger scaled red wolf mom with two pups. Now it looks like good old Marx made another red wolf! But secondly, a series about endangered/vanishing animal species.. Those are always interesting to me and quite a lot of other people from STS Smile

So I dug a little further. I couldn't find anything about the red wolf and other series members on TAi, so I extended my view Suspect Searching for older eBay auctions, I found a few pictures of figurines from this series (all pictures made by the sellers!):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Red Wolf

Orangutan

Giant Panda

Eagle

I love the red wolf, because it's hard for me to not-love any wild canids Razz But I'm really in love with the eagle as well: it almost looks like Kaiyodo drunken They're not that big, around 60mm. I found a picture of the giant panda on Worthpoint.com, there you can see how small it is:

That's all the information I can find for now. I'd love to here what you think about it, and even better, if anyone knows (or even owns) more of them! cheers Oh by the way, the seller on eBay (all older auctions) said something about 'series 1'.. This could mean that Marx made several endangered animal series scratch I could try contacting the seller, try if he/she still knows anything about them..

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Tarunyada on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 8:53 pm

I already found some others affraid Some information at a Marx 1971 red wolf on Worthpoint.com states:

Quote :
After the success of the Marx Animal Kingdom series figures, in 1971 there w as a very scarce series of 10 hand painted vinyl plastic figures known as the VANISHING (Endangered) ANIMALS. This hand painted soft vinyl plastic RED WOLF of Southwestern North America is a figure from the first series, marked 1971, measures 1 and 3/8th inches tall x 2.25 inches long, and is in very good condition with no damage.

I found a Atlantic walrus and ringtailed wallaby (is this even a species? I found 'rock-wallaby' somewhere else) as well, pics will be up in a minute Wink

About the Giant panda:

Quote :
Following the success of the Marx Animal Kingdom series figures of the 1960s, in 1971 there w as a very scarce series of 10 hand painted vinyl plastic figures known as the VANISHING (Endangered) ANIMALS. This GIANT PANDA figure is one of the figures from that series and quite a scarce find. It measures 7/8th inches tall x 1 and 13/16th inches long and is in very good condition with no damage.

Last edited by Tarunyada on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Atlantic Walrus
Quote :
After the success of the Marx Animal Kingdom series figures, in 1971 there w as a very scarce series of 10 hand painted vinyl plastic figures known as the VANISHING (Endangered) ANIMALS, and a second series in 1972 that was circulated from Holland in collaboration with the World Wildlife Fund. The second series figures are typically in a bronze finish, though I have seen just as many in an unpainted version such as this ATLANTIC WALRUS. Measures 1 and 1/8th inches tall x 1 and 15/16th inches long, and is in very good condition with no damage.

Ringtailed/Rock-Wallaby
Quote :
After the success of the Marx Animal Kingdom series figures, in 1971 there w as a very scarce series of 10 hand painted vinyl plastic figures known as the VANISHING (Endangered) ANIMALS, and an even scarcer second series in 1972 that was circulated from Holland in collaboration with the World Wildlife Fund. The second series figures are typically in a bronze finish, though I have seen just as many in an unpainted version such as this RING-TAILED WALLABY. Measures 1 and 3/8th inches tall x 1 and 9/16th inches long, and is in very good condition with no damage.

Unpainted Orangutan
Quote :
1971 Marx Endangered Animals Series Vinyl 60mm Orangutan Monkey. 1/2 Inches Tall. The Issued Endangered Animals were Always Sold Painted, this One came from some Marx Warehouse Stock and is Unpainted. Unbroken and in Excellent Condition.

Last edited by Tarunyada on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 1:02 am

I don't have too much to add, it seems I've found the same information as you. Though, I'd probably never notice it if it was not your researching spirit! Very Happy I love that you always bring so nice things to the forum. I hope Tim sees it, he is a Marx expert, I guess. Very Happy

60mm is probably the scale of the figure and not its size. 60mm means that they fit with a human figure that is 60mm tall. Maybe something around 1:30 scale, I guess.
ringtailed wallaby is the former name of Yellow-footed rock-wallaby (Petrogale xanthopus)

It seems Eric Johns is an autoryity in this matter, try to use this e-mail. Who knows you're lucky. Very Happy
ericjohns4444@gmail.com

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 8:07 am

Oh, i see some more for my wishlist! Thank you :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 8:50 am

Thankyou, thankyou, Julie !
What wonderful little beauties, - and a great story behind it bounce Applause

Yes ! We will have to pull Tim away from his work for a short time, so he can see this cheers

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 11:26 am

Great discovery julie cheers I knew the walrus and orang-utan from eBay but never imagined an endangered series Shocked .
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 12:25 pm

You're all very welcome! cheers

Roger wrote:
60mm is probably the scale of the figure and not its size. 60mm means that they fit with a human figure that is 60mm tall. Maybe something around 1:30 scale, I guess.

Ah thanks. I thought they meant 60 milimeters = 6 cm or something Razz

Roger wrote:
ringtailed wallaby  is the former name of Yellow-footed rock-wallaby  (Petrogale xanthopus)

Thanks again, that complains it cheers

Roger wrote:
It seems Eric Johns is an autoryity in this matter, try to use this e-mail. Who knows you're lucky. Very Happy
ericjohns4444@gmail.com

Thanks Roger. Does this Eric Johns work(ed) for Marx?

widukind wrote:
Oh, i see some more for my wishlist!  Thank you :)

Great! Is the wallaby on your wishlist? I found it on eBay here.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Tarunyada wrote:

Roger wrote:
ericjohns4444@gmail.com

I think not, he seems to be a collector of Wild West, soldiers and other related vintage figures and he created Marx Wild West website. Very Happy
There you can find several informations about Marx animals and also links to other websites. I can't check it carefully next days but maybe a good idea is that you ask directly to Marx museum which website is linked there.
:)

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Thank you, it was before. Now i bought :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 5:35 pm

I like eagle, has beautiful pose.

very interesting old animals. Smile

Tarunyada

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 5:38 pm

Roger wrote:
Tarunyada wrote:

Roger wrote:
ericjohns4444@gmail.com

I think not, he seems to be a collector of Wild West, soldiers  and other related vintage figures and he created Marx Wild West  website. Very Happy
There you can find several informations about Marx animals and also links to other websites. I can't check it carefully next days but maybe a good idea is that you ask directly to Marx museum which website is linked there.
:)

Thanks Roger! I'll check out his site and the one of the Marx Museum. I'll share any additional information in this topic. I think I'll contact them, it's always nice to gather more information Smile

widukind wrote:
Thank you,  it was before. Now i bought :)

Great, you're welcome! cheers Make sure to share some pictures as soon as it has arrived!

landrover wrote:
I like eagle, has beautiful pose.

Indeed, and the colours are very beautiful as well drunken

Back to top Go down
Tiermann

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 10:29 pm

Very very interesting Julie!
I have never heard of this series before. I think it must indeed be very rare. The plain colors are very typical for Marx.
It will need addition at TaI since it was not part of the Marx section when I added it originally.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyWed Feb 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Great to see you here, Tim cheers

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyThu Feb 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Tarunyada wrote:
You're all very welcome! cheers

Roger wrote:

Ah thanks. I thought they meant 60 milimeters = 6 cm or something Razz

Roger wrote:
ringtailed wallaby  is the former name of Yellow-footed rock-wallaby  (Petrogale xanthopus)

Thanks again, that complains it cheers

Roger wrote:
ericjohns4444@gmail.com

widukind wrote:
Oh, i see some more for my wishlist!  Thank you :)

Great! Is the wallaby on your wishlist? I found it on eBay here.

If you find the eagle too please let me know :)

Back to top Go down
WhiteLightning Wolf

WhiteLightning Wolf

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: 1971 Marx Red Wolf Owner   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 4:18 am

Tarunyada wrote:

As you might have noticed, I like to do some research on animal figurines, especially animal figurines that are tiny and cute. But I'm far from an expert when it comes to vintage animal figurines! I only own one composition model and whenever I find any other vintage figurines, I sure have to ask around before I know anything about them Razz

A few days ago I was searching on the art site deviantART for animal figurines, wolves in particular. I found a wonderful wolf collection from a very friendly lady from the USA that seems to joined STS a couple of months ago, but unfortunately can't find the time to share something. But about her wolf collection: I noticed a very beautiful red-brownish wolf figurine in a smaller scale. When I asked her about the figurine, she told me the following:

Quote :
The red/brown wolf in the front is a rare vintage 1971 MARX red wolf from a series they did depicting animals that were considered endangered at the time.

Okay, so first of all.. RED WOLF ALERT!!! As far as TAi goes, whe only know the existence of the wonderful larger scaled red wolf mom with two pups. Now it looks like good old Marx made another red wolf! But secondly, a series about endangered/vanishing animal species.. Those are always interesting to me and quite a lot of other people from STS Smile

So I dug a little further. I couldn't find anything about the red wolf and other series members on TAi, so I extended my view Suspect Searching for older eBay auctions, I found a few pictures of figurines from this series (all pictures made by the sellers!):

Red Wolf

Orangutan

Giant Panda

Eagle

I love the red wolf, because it's hard for me to not-love any wild canids Razz But I'm really in love with the eagle: it almost looks like Kaiyodo drunken They're not that big, around 60mm. I found a picture of the giant panda on Worthpoint.com, there you can see how small it is:

That's all the information I can find for now. I'd love to here what you think about it, and even better, if anyone knows (or even owns) more of them! cheers Oh by the way, the seller on eBay (all older auctions) said something about 'series 1'.. This could mean that Marx made several endangered animal series scratch I could try contacting the seller, try if he/she still knows anything about them..

Thanks for reading!

Hi, hi! I see you found the original photos of my Marx red wolf back from when it was up for auction on eBay. I wish I would have bid on the other animals of the series since none of them really went that high in price. But since I didn't know high the wolf would go, I decided not to. The same seller who had the red wolf also had a listing for a 1972 Snow leopard figure. I'm not entirely sure it was a Marx, somewhere in the description it said it was from Germany which leads me to believe it was from a entirely different company. Last I checked, MARX was a US based company...unless they outsourced?
I've occasionally come across other listings for other animals besides the ones mentioned above in the vanishing /endangered  series, there appears to have been more than one series released too.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 5:16 am

WhiteLightning Wolf wrote:
Tarunyada wrote:

A few days ago I was searching on the art site deviantART for animal figurines, wolves in particular. I found a wonderful wolf collection from a very friendly lady from the USA that seems to joined STS a couple of months ago, but unfortunately can't find the time to share something. But about her wolf collection: I noticed a very beautiful red-brownish wolf figurine in a smaller scale. When I asked her about the figurine, she told me the following:

Quote :

Red Wolf

Orangutan

Giant Panda

Eagle

I love the red wolf, because it's hard for me to not-love any wild canids Razz But I'm really in love with the eagle: it almost looks like Kaiyodo drunken They're not that big, around 60mm. I found a picture of the giant panda on Worthpoint.com, there you can see how small it is:

Thanks for reading!

Hi, hi! I see you found the original photos of my Marx red wolf back from when it was up for auction on eBay. I wish I would have bid on the other animals of the series since none of them really went that high in price. But since I didn't know high the wolf would go, I decided not to. The same seller who had the red wolf also had a listing for a 1972 Snow leopard figure. I'm not entirely sure it was a Marx, somewhere in the description it said it was from Germany which leads me to believe it was from a entirely different company. Last I checked, MARX was a US based company...unless they outsourced?
I've occasionally come across other listings for other animals besides the ones mentioned above in the vanishing /endangered  series, there appears to have been more than one series released too.

Welcome here :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptyThu Mar 10, 2016 12:58 pm

I've occasionally come across other listings for other animals besides the ones mentioned above in the vanishing /endangered series, there appears to have been more than one series released too.
Welcome onf forum and congratulations for getting that rare Marx red wolf. Will you show it to us? It would be great! Very Happy The only 1972 snow leopard I am aware of is a Marx indeed. It belongs to these World Wildlife Fund series.
I also think it is interesting to share that picture I've found in the Internet with a box of Marx WWF figures.

Tiermann

Country/State : Oregon, USA

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 2:49 am

Very interesting Roger! Sculpting looks like typical Marx, with some being different size versions of older animals they made.

Animobil.info Playmobil Animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.animobil.info
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 10:47 am

Interesting Roger :)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks Andreas and Tim! :)

Tiermann wrote:
Very interesting Roger! Sculpting looks like typical Marx, with some being different size versions of older animals they made.

Tim, those are all 1st series from 1971, all others we know their existence are 2nd series from 1972. That box also shows that I was probably wrong about 60mm being the scale, they look almost closely the same size so maybe 60 mm is their aproximate size to fit in these windows.
I wanted to list them on TAI but I think I'll let this work for you if you don't mind. Very Happy

Tarunyada

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Great to see you found some time to visit STS! cheers I understand your pain for not bidding on the other animals as well, but still, that red wolf would be gold to me drunken

And this box looks very interesting, Roger, thanks for sharing!

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptySat Jul 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Now i have the eagle and i think it is one of the best vintage figurines ever :)

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 2:45 am

widukind wrote:
Now i have the eagle and i think it is one of the best vintage figurines ever :)

Yes ,is one spectacular bird.

congratulations Applause

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series EmptySun Jul 03, 2016 12:40 pm

landrover wrote:

widukind wrote:

Yes ,is one spectacular bird.

congratulations Applause

Thank you Fernando :)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series   Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series Empty

Back to top Go down

Marx 1971 Endangered Animal Series
Page 1 of 1