Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mantis website by Viking Spawn

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Viking Spawn

Viking Spawn

Country/State : U.S.A. Ohio

Mantis website by Viking Spawn Empty
PostSubject: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 12:29 am

Here is the other webpage I've been working on!  Whew!  That's enough for now!  Lots of time goes into making these things!

Enjoy!  Provided you like insects that "pray."  ("Prey?")

The MANTIS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

LINK:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 2:39 am

What a beautyful and interesting site Shocked

I surely got much wiser about both crickets and Mantis these last days study cheers

It must have taken you hours and hours and hours to make, and the result is stunning Applause Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 3:04 pm

That's my favorite insect! Very Happy I am glad that you linked that great webpage. Do you think praying mantis are identifiable to the species level? Maybe they're all Mantis religiosa.
I remember playing with these animals while a kid, they were quite easy to catch and really impressive creatures. Obviously, I never killed them, I did it just for fun and later it was free again.

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 7:12 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
What a beautyful and interesting site Shocked

I surely got much wiser about both crickets and Mantis these last days study cheers

It must have taken you hours and hours and hours to make, and the result is stunning Applause Applause

Thank you Susanne. I'm glad you could enjoy them and learn about these wonderful creatures at the same time! And you are correct, it was a time consuming effort to make both of them. They were always something I wanted to create!

Roger wrote:
That's my favorite insect! Very Happy I am glad that you linked that great webpage. Do you think praying mantis are identifiable to the species level? Maybe they're all Mantis religiosa.
I remember playing with these animals while a kid, they were quite easy to catch and really impressive creatures. Obviously, I never killed them, I did it just for fun and later it was free again.

The alias of "Praying Mantis" originated from the M. religiosa species which may also be the most widespread species in the world. Here in the U.S; even the Chinese species on my site are called the "Praying mantis." The Chinese variety has become the dominate species in North America. I do have M. religiosa in my area but they are somewhat rare and are absent usually when the bigger species is around. The Chinese can be twice the size of the European variety.

I also love these insects! Mantids and Cicadas are my favorites!

I'm happy you both enjoyed the sites! cheers

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks for your reply. Watching your pictures, Chinese mantis look very long and delicate when compared with those I used to see in my childhood. Naming of arthropods is always somewhat confuse, there are always so many species so similar that common names get confuse. :)

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn EmptyTue Mar 08, 2016 8:36 pm

Roger wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Watching your pictures, Chinese mantis look very long and delicate when compared with those I used to see in my childhood. Naming of arthropods is always somewhat confuse, there are always so many species so similar that common names get confuse. :)

The Chinese Mantis definitely doesn't look delicate in person! Especially the females! They are bulkier than the males and can pack a powerful "pinch" if you hold one the wrong way!

Perhaps one day I will photograph a European and a Chinese Mantid side by side for scale. However, I'd have to be extremely careful since I'd fear the Chinese species may eat the smaller European variety. Shocked

NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 2:28 am

YES! A complete site for Mantisses Very Happy
I adore these insects, since my encounter in Spain with two of them Very Happy
Beautiful photos and so much information. It reads easy and the colors don't bother me at all Very Happy

One of the mantisses I encounter in Spain :3
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Viking Spawn

PostSubject: Re: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn EmptyWed Mar 09, 2016 11:17 am

Judging by that photo Night Lioness, that nice pic appears to be the species Mantis Religiosa. (male) They are more scarce where I'm from. I will try to obtain more photos of them this summer. I will have to hunt a little harder for them.

Happy you liked the site! cheers

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mantis website by Viking Spawn   Mantis website by Viking Spawn Empty

Back to top Go down

Mantis website by Viking Spawn
Page 1 of 1